Smogon University PO Statistics — January 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
What really baffles me is that Donphan is so high in OU. He is a cool spinner for sun teams, but i don't think he is that good.
I'm going have to disagree with you here burning man, Donphan is the spinner the Forretress (even Tentacruel) wishes it was. Donphan can smack stuff around with a pretty powerful EQ and if it is ever in the situation to outspeed something (Gengar) Ice Shard can do a decent chunk. With Wish or Heal Bell+Rest support, Donphan can tank hits all day. While not sporting the resistances of Forretress, Donphan doesn't become set up bait like forry does all the time. My favorite spread thus far has been 252 HP / 96 Atk / 176 De. That little bit of power goes a long way of how Donphans plays as a Rapid Spinner, one that finds the middle ground :naughty: between Forretress' and Tentacruel's defense and Starmie's offense.

Let's not forget that it has gotten Hax Veil from DW, which imo can be equally as good as Sturdy.

| 7 | Jirachi | 2977 | 21.787% | 2496 | 21.238% |

I gotta admit, I was expecting Jirachi usage to fall on 1337 because everyone seems to be using Sand Teams/Rotom-W
which limits the usefulness of Jirachi. I'm aware Latios and Celebi are dominant, but with other steels like Scizor around,
I'm surprised Jirachi is number 7. Good on your Jirachi, your a bro who tanks shots like a boss.

18 | Magnezone
19 | Breloom
23 | Forretress
26 | Lucario
Glad to see they're still in great positions. I'm damn happy seeing Tyranitar and Ferrothorn have a -1, while Scizor, Dragonite and Rotom-W will be, imho, in the top3 for many months. These changes really surprise me:
34 | Mamoswine | +13
36 | Donphan | +8
38 | Alakazam | +11
41 | Jolteon | +7
57 | Deoxys-D | +38
A step forward to the overcentralization end?

Why still does no one use Yanmega in UU?
It should be way higher.
Thanks for the stats.
I would think that it is because it loses 50% of its health if stealth rock is active (which it most likely is going to be) and spinning is mildly difficult. I will say the specs set is VERY deadly, it 2HKOES pretty much everything in the teir with some spikes and has like 0 safe switchins. If you come in on something slower than yanmega, your opponent is most likely going to have to sac something in order for there revenge killer to come in and kill it.

What does he mean by "Android" users in the LC description.

And why did people use missingo so much??
People who use the Andriod app to play PO have had problems making teams so they often end up with one real Pokemon and a bunch of invalid Pokemon that the program generates as Missingno.

Also, how does Missingno. have any real usage? I didn't think there was any way to actually send it into battle.

I'm surprised at who's 2nd in the LC statistics. But as for the some of the stats, i'm looking more at OU, Scizor seems to prove popular and in general, rain seems to be the most common weather. I'll keep these stats in mind and for reference.

I'm surprised at who's 2nd in the LC statistics. But as for the some of the stats, i'm looking more at OU, Scizor seems to prove popular and in general, rain seems to be the most common weather. I'll keep these stats in mind and for reference.
"rain seems to be the most common weather." nooo...... Sand is

| 77 | Swellow | 559 | 1.967% | 465 | 1.934% |
Why don't more people use Swellow in RU? Seriously, he is a huge threat in the lower tiers, and his flaws can be worked around with proper team support, like Eviolite Magneton to screw over steels, and a bulky .

EDIT: Speaking of Steels, what Steels in RU are there? The only ones that are seen commonly Steelix, Durant, Magneton, Ferroseed and Aggron, and the only Rocks that are annoying for it are eviolite Rhydon and Regirock, which aren't too commonly seen in RU. That isn't too bad, considering Durant can't take a hit anyway, and Ferroseed is easily disposed of with Magnezone. That leaves Steelix, Aggron, and other Magneton, who can be easily dealt with by the likes of, say, Moltres, Special Entei, Claydol, (especially Claydol, the #1 used Pokemon in RU,) and other special attackers who can hit on their weak sides. So just run an Eviolite Magneton and a physically bulky calm mind Claydol with Rapid Spin and two special moves and you have all you need in terms of Team Support. And its not like you have to go out of your way to use these Pokemon, they are both commonly seen in the tier.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Just something I saw in the OU 1337 stats:

| 44 | Gorebyss | 426 | 3.118% | 333 | 2.833% |

I refuse to tolerate this. This just proves that you can mindlessly SmashPass your way into 1337.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for

I refuse to tolerate this. This just proves that you can mindlessly SmashPass your way into 1337.
Smashpass is good, but I find that full BP is much more consistent. I was able to peak in the top 5-20 range several times with a full Baton pass chain team.

But yea, Baton Pass is a stupid move and should be banned...it contributes nothing positive and promotes stupid autopilot teams.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lol, let's not bring back the "ban Baton Pass" propaganda, plz. Baton Pass is just as stupid as the more popular Volt-Turn strategy with the ability to pass status boosts and other afflictions instead of damaging the opponent. Baton Pass sees plenty of use outside of full-out BP chains. If full BP team is stupid, there are less hazardous way of going about it than banning Baton Pass.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I suppose I'm just biased against sacky autopilot teams. The thing about Voltturn is that it's impossible to really deal with it from a banlist standpoint...what are you going to do, ban Volt Switch? That's not very realistic as Volt Switch isn't broken. BP is dealt with by simply banning BP...or Espeon I guess. Not that I would do the latter, since Smashpass can survive without Espy and Espy isn't broken outside of BP interactions, but it's just a thought.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yes, Baton Pass sees use outside of full-blown BP chains.

It's called SmashPass.

With the advent of Volt Switch, dry passing is rare nowadays since the only common user of the dry pass strategy in DPP OU was Jolteon, who got Volt Switch.

Overall, getting rid of Baton Pass outright would be loads easier than just banning Espeon, who as a Pokemon sees more use outside of Baton Pass chains/SmashPass than Baton Pass receives outside of those strategies, or just banning SmashPass, which would do nothing about teams getting swept by Stored Power + HP Fighting Espeon because really? Are you really going to run Sableye on every fucking team you make just to beat that? Baton Pass really does take little, if any prediction, and I know this because I have used it. You could argue to ban Stored Power, but this in turn does nothing about SmashPass. Getting rid of Baton Pass is the easiest way to relinquish these uncompetitive strategies.

Lol, let's not bring back the "ban Baton Pass" propaganda, plz. Baton Pass is just as stupid as the more popular Volt-Turn strategy with the ability to pass status boosts and other afflictions instead of damaging the opponent. Baton Pass sees plenty of use outside of full-out BP chains. If full BP team is stupid, there are less hazardous way of going about it than banning Baton Pass.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3888138&postcount=74

In the last suspect Test before we moved to the Council setup, Baton Pass got a simple Majority.

It has not been followed up. It should have been an automatic suspect in the first Council.

If enough voters felt during the Excadrill Meta that BP was broken for it to get a Simple Majority, it should probobly be followed up on. Especially as Excadrill, if anything, was strong against BP chains for it's rediculous speed and power.

So bringing back the 'ban Baton Pass' arguments isn't silly, especially when it *should* be suspect automatically.

Although, to be fair, I think the issue isn't Baton Pass, but Espeon. If you see SmashPass coming you can prepare, especially as it'll be obvious on TP. Espeon can bounce back most attempts to stop the chain, except moves like Dragon Tail, which a sub stops.

The reason Baton Pass hasn't been voted on again is that frankly a lot of people think it's a stupid thing to ban, are appalled that it was nominated let alone almost got supermajoritied, Smogon will lose all credibility if it is banned, etc. etc. yada yada yada

Anyways let's not derail the stats thread with a BP ban discussion. Go back to citing new positions of your favorite mons or something.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
New positions of our favorite Pokemon, eh?

I like how ninetales got even lower...yet again...

And how ho-oh went down in ubers...

| 5 | Tyranitar | 73732 | 19.081% | 65871 | 20.420% |
| 7 | Politoed | 63048 | 16.316% | 58773 | 18.220% |

I think it's interesting to see both Politoed and Tyranitar dip below the 20% mark for once. Then again, it's nice to see people not abusing weather as much anymore.

Because there's no longer Donphan competing for a niche, Claydol was bound to trend towards UU.
It's just not a good Pokemon in UU in my opinion. Sandslash fills Donphan's niche much better with a decent attack allowing it to hit Ghosts (Swords Dance is the way to go).

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
It's just not a good Pokemon in UU in my opinion. Sandslash fills Donphan's niche much better with a decent attack allowing it to hit Ghosts (Swords Dance is the way to go).
Sandslash doesn't have a UU analysis. Claydol does.

Unlike Sandslash, Claydol can actually take special hits. Claydol also resists both halves of the EdgeQuake combo. Not to mention, Claydol is faster than Sandslash. Claydol, because of its Levitate ability and Ground-typing, takes a mere 6.25% damage upon switching in on SR + 3 layers Spikes, so the lack of reliable recovery is a lot less of an issue for Claydol than it is for Sandslash. Don't forget that Claydol also gets Ice Beam, so it can handle Flygon quite nicely as well (normally Bronzong does that better by resisting every move Scarf Flygon commonly carries + nail it with HP Ice, but Claydol has Rapid Spin which is enough of a reason to use it).

Overall, Claydol just has so much more utility than Sandslash in UU.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

If you think SmashPass is broken in OU, you should see it in action in UU. Sheer Force Nidoking...

Sandslash doesn't have a UU analysis. Claydol does.

Unlike Sandslash, Claydol can actually take special hits. Claydol also resists both halves of the EdgeQuake combo. Not to mention, Claydol is faster than Sandslash. Claydol, because of its Levitate ability and Ground-typing, takes a mere 6.25% damage upon switching in on SR + 3 layers Spikes, so the lack of reliable recovery is a lot less of an issue for Claydol than it is for Sandslash. Don't forget that Claydol also gets Ice Beam, so it can handle Flygon quite nicely as well (normally Bronzong does that better by resisting every move Scarf Flygon commonly carries + nail it with HP Ice, but Claydol has Rapid Spin which is enough of a reason to use it).

Overall, Claydol just has so much more utility than Sandslash in UU.
Resisting Quake-edge is nice, but whats not nice is not being able to guarantee a 2hko on Rhyperior with STAB Earth Power, while Perior 2hkos you with Megahorn. Switching into Flygon is iffy too since you'll more than likely eat a super-effective U-Turn and be left staring down Missy or god knows whatever else that uses Claydol as setup bait.

The best you can do with spin-blockers is posion them on the switch in and then switch out yourself. Claydol might have better special defense than Sandslash but he can't tank a shadowball any better than Slash can.

I haven't tried out Sandslash in UU myself but I have trouble believing he's as much deadweight as Claydol is.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Resisting Quake-edge is nice, but whats not nice is not being able to guarantee a 2hko on Rhyperior with STAB Earth Power, while Perior 2hkos you with Megahorn. Switching into Flygon is iffy too since you'll more than likely eat a super-effective U-Turn and be left staring down Missy or god knows whatever else that uses Claydol as setup bait.

The best you can do with spin-blockers is posion them on the switch in and then switch out yourself. Claydol might have better special defense than Sandslash but he can't tank a shadowball any better than Slash can.

I haven't tried out Sandslash in UU myself but I have trouble believing he's as much deadweight as Claydol is.
Claydol is really the only viable competitor for a Pokemon to set up Stealth Rock AND spin at the same time, now that Donphan is OU. Sandslash really is complete shit in UU, believe it or not. Ok, Swords Dance to be able to hit spinblockers sounds like a good idea, but Sandslash still loses to spinblockers because the likes of Sableye and Mismagius will just Will-O-Wisp you and Taunt you to prevent you from grabbing more SD boosts, and Froslass severely damages you with Ice Beam. Claydol can at least use Toxic on them as they switch in, so Claydol can at least prevent them from just switching in worry free. This already gives Claydol an edge over Sandslash, since although Sandslash can learn Toxic as well (everything that can learn TMs can -_-), you won't be finding a place to fit it in on its moveset. There's a reason Claydol has a UU analysis and Sandslash doesn't.

Claydol is really the only viable competitor for a Pokemon to set up Stealth Rock AND spin at the same time, now that Donphan is OU. Sandslash really is complete shit in UU, believe it or not. Ok, Swords Dance to be able to hit spinblockers sounds like a good idea, but Sandslash still loses to spinblockers because the likes of Sableye and Mismagius will just Will-O-Wisp you and Taunt you to prevent you from grabbing more SD boosts, and Froslass severely damages you with Ice Beam. Claydol can at least use Toxic on them as they switch in, so Claydol can at least prevent them from just switching in worry free. This already gives Claydol an edge over Sandslash, since although Sandslash can learn Toxic as well (everything that can learn TMs can -_-), you won't be finding a place to fit it in on its moveset. There's a reason Claydol has a UU analysis and Sandslash doesn't.
Lum Berry is run on SD Sandslash for precisely this reason, Missy would just end up eating a +2 Night Slash or Stone Edge and dieing. Sableye, granted, would pose a problem.

Can we just agree that both Sandslash and Claydol suck and are terrible ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)