Smogon University PO Statistics — December 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
These tier changes were really a mixed bag, mostly positive I find but some, like the lack of steels in NU, are scary. Swellow + Sawk = dominate. Golem up, Regirock up, Alomomola up.
Anyways, One of the most interesting changes I have seen in Mamoswine moving up. I know why Duggy moved up, I know why Alakazam moved up, I can even see Jolteon and Donphan moving up, but why Mamo? Don't get me wrong, its a good poke, but I don't really see its current niche.
Also, one last thing. Cress and Sigilyph in RU... *shudder*
Yeah, umm, have you used Mamo yet? Try it, it's simply amazing. It's ridiculously strong with Icicle crash and earthquake, and the endeavor set almost always gets rocks up. It also serves as a revenge killer for dragons.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
These tier changes were really a mixed bag, mostly positive I find but some, like the lack of steels in NU, are scary. Swellow + Sawk = dominate. Golem up, Regirock up, Alomomola up.
Anyways, One of the most interesting changes I have seen in Mamoswine moving up. I know why Duggy moved up, I know why Alakazam moved up, I can even see Jolteon and Donphan moving up, but why Mamo? Don't get me wrong, its a good poke, but I don't really see its current niche.
Also, one last thing. Cress and Sigilyph in RU... *shudder*
Now now, Mamoswine, if anything, has a more viable niche than the other Pokemon you've mentioned. First of all, OU is just Dragons Dragons Dragons, and Mamoswine can pick off a couple very notable ones such as Dragonite and Salamence. If weakened, the likes of Hydreigon and Latios wont be enjoying Mamoswine's presence either. Furthermore, with Exca gone, Landorus has taken a big jump in usage, while Conkeldurr has taken a tumble. Mamoswine dominates the former, and despises the latter. While Mamoswine won't enjoy the rise in Scizor usage one bit, its ability to revenge kill so many of these dangerous threats is shared only by Weavile. That powerful STAB Earthquake certainly doesn't hurt either.

The thing I hate most about Cresselia and Sigilyph moving down to RU is that Krookodile was promoted to UU at the same time. One of the few Pokemon who could prevent Cresselia and Sigilyph from ruling with an iron fist, gone. It almost seems that the stars are aligned for these Psychic-types to overwhelm the metagame. We shall wait and see I suppose.

Oh man, my friend almost dropped his stuff in class when I told him that Dugtrio got moved up to OU from NU. He's a UU player, so he got pretty mad lol. The rise is understandable though, since Dugtrio is so good at taking out Tyranitar and Ninetales, two really prominent threats since they're both weather starters. But still, Dugtrio coming all the way up from NU to OU...good work Dugtrio haha. Anyway, thanks for the stats Antar.

My favorite is to look at the pokemon on the bottom of the statistics of the 1337 stats. Some people can pick crazy pokemon, and still get to the top of the leaderboard with them. Two people managed to get above 1337 with an Emolga in OU. It makes me sad to see that Vanilluxe has the same usage as Yanmega in the UU 1337 stats. The RU and NU stats aren't too shocking but look at the Uber stats. Someone got on the leaderboard with an LC team. They used Mienfoo, Chinchou, Houndour, Dwebble, Scraggy, and Frillish. That's ballsy. To take a complete troll team, then get to the top of the leaderboard.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
As far as I know, they only need to use the pokémon *once*, then get 1337+ rating by the end of the month. They didn't actually use a LC team all the way to the top of the Uber ladder lol

| 143 | Garchomp | 8 | 0.376% | 5 | 0.298% |
| 149 | Steelix | 7 | 0.329% | 6 | 0.357% |
| 156 | Excadrill | 7 | 0.329% | 3 | 0.179% |

Lmfao, I love the unrated little cup usage stats. My niggas are bringing a garchomp and excadrill to the metagama hahaha

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
| 143 | Garchomp | 8 | 0.376% | 5 | 0.298% |
| 149 | Steelix | 7 | 0.329% | 6 | 0.357% |
| 156 | Excadrill | 7 | 0.329% | 3 | 0.179% |

Lmfao, I love the unrated little cup usage stats. My niggas are bringing a garchomp and excadrill to the metagama hahaha

the reason the unrated lc stats are screwed like that is because there are quite a bit of lc challenge cup matches (i probably play the majority of them lol) which makes these stats hella screwed

Yep. Totally saw Dugtrio coming. I'm glad he made the jump into OU, but that also means no more Dugtrio + Linoone in RU...

All I know now is that I'm not liking Cresselia in RU. I had enough trouble with it back when I used to run Specs Yanmega and QD Venomoth. And now Krookodile's gone? Well, I guess there's Spiritomb. Dang.

As far as I know, they only need to use the pokémon *once*, then get 1337+ rating by the end of the month. They didn't actually use a LC team all the way to the top of the Uber ladder lol
Or the other way around, find a secure spot over 1337, then use the LC pokes. There's no way in hell you can get that high with an LC team. I don't care if you're the son of Kyogre and Arceus yourself.

Or the other way around, find a secure spot over 1337, then use the LC pokes. There's no way in hell you can get that high with an LC team. I don't care if you're the son of Kyogre and Arceus yourself.
You have to be at 1337 at the end of the month. I figured it would be harder to game than "1337 at the time" (which I can't do anyway without modifying the server code).

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is a cool fact that I want to share with everyone:
the average base Speed in OU is 80.86

meaning that the pokemon with the most average Speed in the tier is Gyarados, with Dragonite, Mamoswine, and Venusaur just barely below. (I thought it was 87 earlier today but I did something wrong in Excel).

Also Antar will there be DW OU stats?

meaning that the pokemon with the most average Speed in the tier is Gyarados, with Dragonite, Mamoswine, and Venusaur just barely below. (I thought it was 87 earlier today but I did something wrong in Excel).

A quick python script corroborates this; multiplying each poke's usage by its base speed and dividing the sum by the total number of non-missingno usages gives an average base speed of 80.55

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
jolteon? thats a suprise, howd he make his way into ou, what niche does he have?
Might be that Jolteon handles cores involving Rotom-W decently, threatens many Pokemon with its base 110 SpA and 130 Spe (which causes switches), and outruns Offensive DD Nite, even after Dragonite gets the Speed boosts. Jolteon might not be the most substantial attacker in the metagame, but it's pretty good at what it does: outrun and blast things.

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

I'm kinda more interested in the overall average base Speed, as there are random Pokemon <base 80, such as Tyranitar, that invest in Speed, while there are also a number of >base 80 Speed Pokemon, such as Gliscor, that invest very little into Speed. Would indicate what Pokemon troll the average Speed tier.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gee, with all the usage Gorebyss has been getting in all the other tiers lately, I thought it would ascend from NU already. It's a pretty good sweeper outside of the Baton Pass role, so I hoped that it would rise some way or another.

I'm kinda more interested in the overall average base Speed, as there are random Pokemon <base 80, such as Tyranitar, that invest in Speed, while there are also a number of >base 80 Speed Pokemon, such as Gliscor, that invest very little into Speed. Would indicate what Pokemon troll the average Speed tier.
Heh, when all this PO update stuff is sorted out, I intend to get my hands on that in-depth usage data and create speed tiers based on what people actually use, not just on what sets are up on Smogon

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The cutoff is 1-.5^(1/20) (you have more than a 50% chance of seeing it in at least one of 20 battles). That works out to 3.40636711...%

Scyther squeaked in at 3.409%.

thank you for clarifying that antar, scyther would have been a huge Nu threat

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
| 6 | Heatran | 18.153% |
Well, Heatran's sure fallen off his high horse.

Why don't people use Magnezone more? It resists VoltTurn and BoltBeam, has nice bulk and huge Special Attack, turns Ferrothorn into setup fodder, beats Skarmory, and wins against Dragonite one on one (assuming SR is up - Fire Punch doesn't quite KO). Seriously people?

I haven't seen that many Dugtrio around, but I understand the rise - it beats Terrakion, Tyranitar, non-Balloon Heatran, Magnezone, etc.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Resisting VoltTurn sounds nicer than it is. Magnezone can be dealt with at least one mon in a common Volturn pair.

Jolteon keeps jumping between tiers. Seems like in UU people use him all the time, but once it moves to OU it all just stops.
I never got the deal with Jolteon, how is it ever close to OU. If for some reason you need an electric sweeper, use Riakou or something, it's move pool is a heck of a lot better, and its stronger too, all it loses out on is ridiculous speed. Are people using it to check something, or maybe as a scarfer, but wouldn‘t Riakou still be fast enough? I don’t know, it seems kinda silly in the current metagame. Maybe I am underestimating this thing, perhaps a Jolteon player can enlighten me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)