Smogon University PO Statistics — April 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anything, the cutoff should be 2.60% so we'd have 10% of the total number of pokémon in OU, just like in all other generations.
There isn't the slightest reason why that goal should be sought after.

We want an OU that represents the standard tier, and that's exactly what the current cutoff accomplishes.

We want an OU that represents the standard tier, and that's exactly what the current cutoff accomplishes.
I think he was making a joke (based on that 10% discussion in the suspect(?) thread). If he was, I laughed. If not, I still laughed and it should have been a joke. :P

Also, I'm very surprised at the lack of Virizion usage. It's a pretty good mon; worth it's salt. Below Whimsicott? Eh.... that's weird too. Then again, Swampert is ranked much higher than it deserves. I guess a few more months and things will settle out.

ou cutoff proportion is really just a made-up number
couldn't care less if it changes or not really
though by using a larger cutoff number we will obv have more ou mons,
which in turn would encourage experienced and inexperienced players alike to use other mons...diversity ftw

but really i don't care

anyways, ive talked/asked a few experienced players and it's true...ive been fucking seeing a lot of sdchomps....A LOT...jesus...that...thing...is...everywhere

ou cutoff proportion is really just a made-up number
couldn't care less if it changes or not really
though by using a larger cutoff number we will obv have more ou mons,
which in turn would encourage experienced and inexperienced players alike to use other mons...diversity ftw

but really i don't care

anyways, ive talked/asked a few experienced players and it's true...ive been fucking seeing a lot of sdchomps....A LOT...jesus...that...thing...is...everywhere
Agreed.
One thing for sure is that it probably will make the meta more diverse.
Side note, I feel like I see more SDSubChomp than SDYacheChomp at this point.

Andddddddd one serious question, why is excalidrill used less than say garchomp? what's letting garchomp take the #1 most used sweeper spot from excalidrill?

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Eh yes, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough. If we were to change the cutoff, it should be so that BW OU has roughly the same percentage of pokémon the other generations' OU tiers had, as it seems people like to be consistent in everything. But, of course, it's not really necessary; saying Sigilyph is OU or UU is the same as discussing Ninjask's tiering last gen, "lol Ninjask".

Agreed.
One thing for sure is that it probably will make the meta more diverse.
Side note, I feel like I see more SDSubChomp than SDYacheChomp at this point.

Andddddddd one serious question, why is excalidrill used less than say garchomp? what's letting garchomp take the #1 most used sweeper spot from excalidrill?
Excadrill is 100% reliant on Sandstorm. Garchomp does fine without it.

srsly...terrakion really needs to be used A LOT more...true it can be walled and it does have major priority weaknesses but the double dance set is just too damn awesome and good

Garchomp can make use of both its STABS unlike Drill, it has considerably more bulk, and as mentioned it doesn't rely on sandstorm to wreak havoc. Its speed is good enough to sweep, and it even gets fire fang to deal with opposing steels. I'm pretty sure SDyache can beat hp ice bronzong whereas Excadrill gets countered by Zong, even if it has a balloon.

Edit: lmao what is this RU bs get that shit outta here

Exca/Dory is easilly trolled by Gliscor and soem other things. Garchomp can even troll skarmory with extreme outrage

Seriously noobs and their make RMT say DOry is broken inb4whyisntitbannedyetanyway topic

To be fair though just because a mon has viable counters doesn't mean it isn't broken. Though I'd love for Exca to remain OU, I understand why a lot of other people think he's uber. Same for Chomp.

Shocked to see Tornadus being in OU cause I haven't been seeing it around. and I thought it was outclassed by it's other fellow genies. Well maybe except for Hurricane and that's about it ?

DOnt you learn enough that the reason flying is said to be "horrible" offensive type is because they never give use good flying with good STAB movepool with good offensive stats ?

Seriously Tornadus is not outclassed fully. Rather Tornadus can fuels Thundrus to go from Extemely powerful into Godly amazing. Although its rain only, its still amazing enough.

It SPAMS Draco meteor with 100 % acc with great offensive typing infinitely BETTER than electric backed with massive coverage and when its near dead and yourgoing to priority kill him, he make the whole team a killing machine screwing you from your position even more

Tornadus is a superior specs user and tie in term of using LO easily. Hurricane have been proven to be a huge buff to great pokemon that got this great move(read : Dragonite)

Tell me that kind of thing sucks.

For the ones saying the cut-off should be higher, i ask Why? you won't see a lot more diversity in OU since being OU doesn't meen it will be used, it means you are more likely to encounter it, and by making a lower cut-off you just cut UU diversity, you can use UU pokes in OU, and many work very well, but you can't use OU in UU, so you cut many pokes of the tier they can actually do stuff in

For the ones saying the cut-off should be higher, i ask Why? you won't see a lot more diversity in OU since being OU doesn't meen it will be used, it means you are more likely to encounter it, and by making a lower cut-off you just cut UU diversity, you can use UU pokes in OU, and many work very well, but you can't use OU in UU, so you cut many pokes of the tier they can actually do stuff in
The reasoning is because there's so many Pokemon, that having tiers of sized 50 will mean it will take ages to get down to the usage tier where the likes of Luvdisc is viable. So making the usage tiers larger will get you there quicker.

NOTE: This is not my opinion. I don't really care what happens with the cut-offs. Just trying to explain the reasoning of those who want the cut-off to be lower. :)

what was the percentage cut off of gen 4? it makes sense if it's lower in gen 5 since there's more mons so a lower usage could still mean the same amount relative to one another as in gen 4

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
The cut-off is essentially the same in both gens (I believe the difference is only thousandths of a percent after the calcs are said and done)

Just playing with with the numbers, but if 10% of the metagame was OU, that would mean the total pokemon in in the metagame in 530. Which it odviously isn't with 617 pokemon listed. But even at 530, you have Hoppip and a bunch of other random baby pokemon. Move up another 10%, you get Dratini, go up to the bottom 20% you get some less terrible NFEs like Fraxure. Its only when you get to the bottom 30%, do you pass farfetch'd and delcatty, and even then pokemon #371 is slowpoke... 53 Pokemon in OU is actually generous.

Code:
 | 50   | Blastoise       |   548 |  2.4607 | 
 | 62   | Smeargle        |   425 |  1.9084 | 
 | 246  | Octillery       |    30 |  0.1347 | 
 | 286  | Glalie          |    16 |  0.0718 | 
 | 407  | Bibarel         |     2 |  0.0090 |
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this proves that moody is the farthest thing from broken in the uber tier right now.

Code:
 | 50   | Blastoise       |   548 |  2.4607 | 
 | 62   | Smeargle        |   425 |  1.9084 | 
 | 246  | Octillery       |    30 |  0.1347 | 
 | 286  | Glalie          |    16 |  0.0718 | 
 | 407  | Bibarel         |     2 |  0.0090 |
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this proves that moody is the farthest thing from broken in the uber tier right now.
Blast/Zard are both high because of the noobs that use their favorites (which 99% of the time includes Darkrai and such, meaning they "battle" in the Uber tier).

I'm itchin' for Smogon BW UU. If 3.49% is the cutoff, the start of UU will be pretty insane. Zapdos, Azelf, Mew, Empoleon, Celebi, Mamoswine... UU stall is also insane (as it's played out on Beta Server, anyhow) with things like Chansey, Dusclops and maybe Porygon2 (with +50% defenses), Deoxys-D, Cresselia, etc. Venusaur's reign over UU may be over, but Milotic will just get better (Dragon Tail+ResTalk set). Rapid spinning is about the same, but Spiritomb isn't the only bulky spin blocker anymore (not counting bulky Mismagius), as both Dusclops and Cofagrigus are fine choices. I dunno if Vulpix will be banned in UU (as they did in Beta Server UU) to prevent overcentralization of sun teams, but if it isn't, plenty of Chlorophyll sweepers will wreak havoc. What a wacky metagame! I can't wait for Smogon to get it all properly sorted out.

I'm itchin' for Smogon BW UU. If 3.49% is the cutoff, the start of UU will be pretty insane. Zapdos, Azelf, Mew, Empoleon, Celebi, Mamoswine... UU stall is also insane (as it's played out on Beta Server, anyhow) with things like Chansey, Dusclops and maybe Porygon2 (with +50% defenses), Deoxys-D, Cresselia, etc. Venusaur's reign over UU may be over, but Milotic will just get better (Dragon Tail+ResTalk set). Rapid spinning is about the same, but Spiritomb isn't the only bulky spin blocker anymore (not counting bulky Mismagius), as both Dusclops and Cofagrigus are fine choices. I dunno if Vulpix will be banned in UU (as they did in Beta Server UU) to prevent overcentralization of sun teams, but if it isn't, plenty of Chlorophyll sweepers will wreak havoc. What a wacky metagame! I can't wait for Smogon to get it all properly sorted out.
Porygon-2 is OU at 52. Pokémon at 54 and below are UU.

| 35 | Swampert | 30888 | 5.1541 |
| 70 | Quagsire | 15230 | 2.5413 |
lol?...the hell is wrong with you people? I can't believe that people are hanging on to a completely outclassed pokemon even here on smogon! Swampert's time has come and gone, folks. Even gastrodon totally outclasses now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)