Tournament Smogon Premier League IX: RU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
appreciate the contributions from the players, really cool to get insight to the mentalities going in. finished up my bi-weekly op updates that probably should be twice as frequent, and odds are they will with the regular season coming to a close. seems as though contention for the remaining play-off slots are pretty tight, with what I believe to be the exception of tyrants (maybe more, i'll admit to focusing more on the games than their implications in the long term), so hopefully the games will express as much.

i think it's quite interesting to note the shape the metagame has taken over the course of this season. the influx of bronzong in particular struck me as quite surprising if only for the tenacity one must exhibit to break away from the stigma of it being a bad pokemon, though time will tell if applicable pursuit users will rise in response to this (as of course psywave + protect zong is equipped reasonably to sidestep escavalier to an extent) and stunt its performance as they did in oras. beyond this, i'm pretty stoked on the love given to tyrantrum these past few weeks, which i feel is long overdue for just how brutal its choice sets, and even occasionally boosting ones as seen through sv v.tdk, where so often it feels like it's one prediction away from picking up a ko via head smash upon entry. virizion seems to be in a very similar boat, and has become all the more versatile with the recent adoption of sub > coverage to punish the tendency to pass over non-rose poison- or flying-types a noteworthy rise in toxicroak and ninetales usage comes across as largely reactionary, especially as blastoise becomes more dangerous and, for better or worse, salazzle finds itself underperforming somewhat. these tendencies do, however, tend to reflect a generally lower baseline for speed control on your average team nowadays, something I'll admit to chill shadow and myself looking to exploit via gigalith stoutland.

as far as highlights for me, while i did not care for the final product much at all, silentverse's use of both florges (which tricking used as well!) and bulky rose touched upon a mis-evaluation of both being fairly unusable, i think. while to me florges remains slightly less broad in its application than i think most would like, it does remain a perfectly acceptable cleric and even calm mind user in certain capacities, and defensive rose has perhaps become the most self-sufficient in putting spikes on the board for its flexibility in poison fishing v.the generally free buzz switch. windsong v.sg in week 8 was probably the tightest of the past couple weeks and put the spotlight on perhaps my favourite under-explored pokemon in this meta, noivern, so that's a must-watch for my money. nat vs.sv exhibited what was the best application of an escavalier team-wise (imho, mind), as well as a bunch of other very "new ru" picks a la scarf ttrum / ninetales / a cool blastoise, as well as what looked to be an interesting (albeit not quite as good or iconic, ofc) edit on the very team i played nat with during the snake draft from sv. lastly, and i hope this doesn't come across as conceded in any way, trying to be as objective as possible here, the chillshadow v.feliburn game was a really cool watch. i feel as though both players executed really well, many of chillshadow's techs hit (hypno zong and bulky shuca croak being the most impactful), and it came down to a really tight endgame, worth your time if you didn't watch live.

otherwise, looking forward to some cool ones going in to this week. i'm planning on doing a mass tag after the regular season to get those who don't make play-offs to [hopefully] share their experiences and perhaps give insight to their performances, more interesting sets and concepts, etc. look forward to it! beyond that i'll just leave w/the matches for the week, and try to actually keep up with ascribing playtimes to them haha

[TGRS]lighthouses vs. Feliburn [SCTR] - Thursday, 7 PM
[RUIN]Chill Shadow vs. Arifeen [SHRK] - Sunday, 10 AM
[WOLF]PokeTCG gamer1288 vs. J0RIS [TYRN] - Saturday, 10 AM
[RAID]mael vs. Bouff [CONG] - Sunday, 6-7 AM
[BIGS]Windsong vs. Nat [CRYO]

Last edited:

Moon

Grossly Incandescent
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
With SPL being over I'd like to talk about a particular teambuilding trend. 'mons listed in order of steel, water, pivot, grass, breaker, cleaner:
Week 2 SilentVerse (W) -

Week 4 Lighthouses (L) -

Week 4 Windsong (W) --

Week 5 Windsong (L) ---

Week 5 Nat (W) --------

Week 6 Nat (W) ---------

Week 6 TDK (L) ---------

Week 6 Lighthouses (L) -

Week 9 Arifeen (W) -----

Semis Chill Shadow (W) -

Total uses: 10, Wins:6, Losses: 4
There are a few more I could've included but I tried to include only the teams that are extremely similar. There are two exceptions to the order stated above: lighthouses brought 'croak over a grass in week 4 and windsong brought 2 pivots alongside kingdra in week 5. Mandibuzz was always brought alongside m-lix, whereas gligar was always brought with bronzong.
This trend became most popular in weeks 4-6 as durant left the tier and the meta began to stabilize. Despite not seeing use in weeks 7 and 8, it showed up again in week 9 and semifinals with respective wins. Variations of this team continue to show up in prominent tours and find success (ru ssnl). This list showcases common defensive backbones, the rise in prominence of virizion (and other grass types), as well as the ubiquitous gardevoir-tyrantrum core. 60% win rate shows that this team style was at least fairly solid. My questions to players, builders, spectators, etc:
-did these teams deserve as much usage as they recieved?
-which team is the most consistent?
-zong+glig or lix+mandi?
-scarf/specs garde? scarf/band tyrantrum?
-best sets for zong/lix/mandi/glig on this team?
I really like this team in a general sense with my favorite implementation probably being Windsong's team built by Hot n Cold for week 4 (I'm surprised no one used this with scarftrum over scarfgon). I'd love to hear thoughts or experiences from anyone about this team, and also let me know if I made any mistakes. Cheers

Windsong

stumbling down elysian fields
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Those teams were really, really solid, and as a result people started using builds that pretty aggressively tried to undermine them. My sun against Diogo week 6 was a prime example of such; even though the sun build wasn't as fundamentally solid as most of those teams, certain key players (notably Ninetales alongside 3-attack Blastoise) just put those super solid builds under too much pressure to properly function.

I'll edit this w/ more info later, but basically your choice of breakers (band tyrant / specs garde) and whatever your secondary active mon is (usually Vizi) is what determines whether you should be using Zong + Glig or Lix + Mandi. The big thing a lot of these teams struggled with is just being too passive; super active offensive mons (my Ninetales against Diogo, ChillShadow's sub Salazzle against me, SV's Vivillon against TDK) tore them apart without extremely precise play.

I still think they're good teams, but if I could redo some of my building from earlier weeks, I would've brought much more active setups from week 4 onward. These steel/water/grass/breaker/cleaner/filler builds are really good at not losing, but they're not all that great at actually winning. They very rarely offer the chance to control the tempo of the game unless you play super aggressively and consistently make strong offensive reads (see my week 4 match against Tricking). This is not a smart way to regularly play (sorry CBB). It'll net you some flashy wins in the short term and is okay for tournaments like SPL where you're using a different team each week, but in the long run it'll make you susceptible to easy reads (see the final turns of my match vs Ajna).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)