Smeargle Studio Discord Gym Leader Project

^tfw Smogon didn't alert me about those being posted

I hopped on this bandwagon early and grabbed Flying as my type and created this self-insert.

pom-flying.png

Originally, this was meant to be more of a "proof of concept" than a final rendering until I started refining the sketch. ): I'm thinking of redrawing her later with an alternate outfit and possibly at least one team member.

Can't wait to see how the others turn out (esp. Jackii and Ssensenh)!

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Okay but get this. What if there was this pirate dude named Doc Harvey (dock + harbor) and he owns a harbor that transports cargo so it's the total opposite of a normal pirate (he plays the role of a pirate as joke he's not really a pirate). Despite me not taking much time to design the badge as I don't think badge design is super important in game, I made sure it fit the theme very well, designing it after a huge tidal wave (a wake is a huge wave so that's where the name comes from). Empoleon practically fits the pirate theme being a water/steel type I was able to base Harvey off of it too!, Toucannon not only doubles as a parror like animal but a cannon like on a ship, Primarina resembles mermaids which are often on the front of ships, Dhelmise is self explanatory, Octillery/Remoraid resembles cannons and guns again pirate like weapons Octillery can also be a kracken, Tentacruel is a kracken and Whishiwashi is just a giant sea monster. Toucannon and Dhelmise not only fits concepts but helps with weaknesses too. Decided to give him a Waterium Z for the lack of Mega Evolution too. Also since his theme can be seen as a more "natural" and "sea exploration" like style to it, I thought a Z-Crystal would help incase a Gym Badge didn't fit with it. Surf is now a TM and Waterfall was given out as an HM in gen 3 so I thought I could use Surf to fit with the pirate theme again.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Love the concept, and I can accept the dhelmise being in his team despite non water since it's an anchor (lol at pokemon trozei icons)
Thanks a lot! I love your concept a lot too! I started making the icons before I realized they were similar Trozei, but I did notice while I was making them haha.

I have to say, this is such a great idea. Loving the speedracer especially right now

Also, for hypothetical round 2, I'm interested in taking suggestions to make the project more exciting. Please post here or PM me any suggestions for themes or twists. I didn't expect this to be so popular, so thank you and have fun to all the participants!
I have theorised these types of things before but, I do not have the talent to pull it off

Easily the next option is an Elite 4. I personally think Elite 4 in the games lack imagination

Lets take the Flying gym, a staple in the games. Instead of a flying Elite 4, why not a "Bird Master" where we use the species not the type

Bird Master
Decidueye
Blaziken
Empoleon
Aromatisse
+ An actual flying type bird

Other ideas - Snake Charmer, Bear trapper, Cats, Military Historian, Monkey King, Tortoises

As for other individual ideas
I have always wanted to see a Titanic themed team

For broader ideas to shake this up for round 2, Kahunas. Then make the totem pokemon genuinely unique. Like Giant Ancient Pokemon with tribal markings.

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Didn't really have much opportunity to work on my part in the past month, so I'll just leave the WIP version here. I'm planning on finishing it up sometime during the weekends.
The theme for my Gym Leader is carbonate rocks from the Jurassic Period, with Archeops being his signature Pokemon. I think the name Liam would suit him rather well, as a reference to both limestones and the Lias stratigraphic group.

Liam2.jpg

PS: Gym leader tournament when? :P

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)