SM UU Viability Ranking Thread Mark Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
Someone almost always seems to need to do this, but can we not speculate on how good Pokemon are as a result of a tier shift that literally happened last night and while there's a double suspect on?
I talked to pokeisfun and he said he would make a post regarding the drops later tonight so stay tuned for that!

I was going to make a post about how I support Rotom Mow moving up to B+, but no higher, but I don't see the point now - I'm just going to have fun playing with Jirachi and Gardevoir before they're banned.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Update for tier shifts September 4

As you may have noticed, the tier shift was massive so the metagame is very different. Whenever you feel you have enough experience to post, you can start posting here.

Hawlucha and Ninetales Alolan are unranked because they rose to OU by usage.

New Pokemon Rank (Gallade Mega, Heracross Mega and Hoopa-U are banned and therefore not ranked)

Yoshi

IT'S FINK DUMBASS
to S rank
The reason I'm starting out on this Pokemon is because I have no clue where to start, and I like Jirachi. This Pokemon is so good. It has like 8 different sets, but I'm going to talk about a few of them. The first set is Scarf, which is my most favorite. This Pokemon literally has no switch-in (in theory) if you play it right, because it has access to fast U-Turn. This, when paired with rocks, will continue to weaken Jirachi's would-be-switch-ins, until they're completely useless. If you want to do that but not switch out, just click Iron Head a few times, which flinches 60% of the time by the way. You also have access to a coverage Punch move of your choice, the most common being Ice Punch. Having that slot really can change what a team loses to and what doesn't, so it's smart to choose wisely with the elemental punch. For example, my team was fairly weak to Scizor, so I decided to run Fire Punch. Another one of my teams were weak to Mantine, so I ran Thunder Punch. This slot is there for team coverage. The last move is my favorite because it really breaks Mega Latias, and that's Healing Wish. Healing Wish is such a good move, and I'll tell you why. Say your wall gets hit by toxic, and your Jirachi is at low health. No worries there, just click Healing Wish and recover your wall. A Pokemon is about to die to hazards? Healing Wish it up. Healing Wish is an emergency move that you'll find is really good in so many situations. The only problem I see with the Scarf set is other scarfers, mainly just Infernape and the infamous Scarf Weavile.

What about it's other sets? It also happens to be a great Rocker, Wish Passer, Sweeper, as well as utilizing Calm Mind, and even being able to run an e-belt lure set. You could also run Z-Happy Hour, but I personally don't like to use that. The point is, this Pokemon is so versatile, and it's really hard to cover all of it's sets, not just in text, but in battle as well. Having 100 across the board really helps too, as it allows you to run offensive sets just as much as defensive ones as well.

All in all, this Pokemon can fill multiple roles with no issue. Thanks to it's 100/100/100/100/100/100 stats, it's able to run a multitude of different sets, and it's wide move pool only helps. It's also a Steel type, which you're really required to run now, especially now. That really sounds like an S rank Pokemon to me.

to C+
Ok let's get this garbage out of the way... I really don't see a reason to use this Pokemon. I know it's Special Attack is really good and it's really bulky but the two moves it runs are Dragon Pluse and Volt Switch, and you're really forced to use RestTalk since if you get worn down you just have to sit there and die because of your poor speed. I guess it could 1v1 bulky waters, as well as Tornadus and Aggron, but I can't see this Pokemon doing much more because while it doesn't have many weaknesses, it doesn't have many resistances either, which leaves a lot of other types doing neutral damage.

Basically, my point is, for such a slow Pokemon, it's typing isn't that good, and why run something with such good special attack and so slow when you can run something that sacrifices a little Special Attack but gets faster instead. This Pokemon is very outclassed in it's roles, so I think it should be C+ because of this.

to A+
I originally said that this Pokemon would be broken, no question. But I soon came to realize that there are several ways to work around this Pokemon, and that it unfortunately suffers from 4MSS. The idea here is, no matter what, this Pokemon requires support. Even if you run HP Fire, you lose to Mega Steelix, if you run Focus Blast, you lose to Scizor. There are a few Pokemon that can switch into a Hyper Voice, some examples are Empoleon and Alolan Muk. So, realistically, you'll want to pair Gardevoir with an Electric type, a Ground type, Magneton/Fire type.

Now, I did forget to mention what this Pokemon does in general, which is spam Hyper Voices. Mostly everything is 2HKOd except the Pokemon I mentioned above. It's speed is above average, and it's special attack is out of this world. It also has access to Calm Mind to set up, Taunt, to shut down Blissey and Alomomla, as well as Will'o'Wisp, to shut down physical attackers. So, don't think this Pokemon simply runs 4 attacks. It also requires a Calm Mind to really get going, which is another reason I don't want this thing straight to S rank for those who think this thing is unbeatable.

Overall, Mega Gardevoir is a great Pokemon on the surface, having incredible overall stats (did I mention it's spdef?). It also has access to Set Up moves, Taunt, and Will'o'Wisp, making this Pokemon seem completely broken. However, if you look into the Pokemon more, you'll realize that it needs a bit of support to really sweep/clean teams. Because of this, I think Mega Gardevoir should be A+.

to A+ rank
This Pokemon has one set and it loses to nothing (almost nothing lol.) It runs Calm Mind, Stored Power, Ice Beam, Recover, which pretty much walls then sweeps everything not named Empoleon, Weavile, or Alolan Muk. Because of this, I recommend a Steel type (Jirachi, and I'll explain soon) as well as a Ground type. Your Steel type should be Jirachi because you can provide Healing Wish support in case your Latias is too weakened or statused.

Not much else to say about this except I want this A+ like Mega Gardevoir because like Gardevoir, it requires a bit of support so it can do what it does.

That's all I have for now, I have little to no experience with the other ones, so I decided not to embarrass myself and post them.

dingbat

snek
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
New pkmns:

--> A+: I honestly don't see Rotom-Wash starting anywhere below A+ rank because this 'mon is now the best pivot in this metagame and it (along with Mega Manectric) has instantly made Volt Turn very popular. Even for something with rather restricted recovery options, the longevity on this is pretty amazing because its typing leaves it with one weakness, allowing it to effectively check or counter many of the top tier threats (especially Scizor) and, like Rotom-Mow, threaten anything that blocks Volt Switch. Will also easily be top 5 usage in this tier for this reason, as well.
Not gonna make a direct nomination on this because I want to see what happens with a couple other 'mons here *COUGH COUGH*, but this 'mon is not easy to manage once it accumulates boosts because outside of Scizor, Mega Lix/Aggron (and Rachi if this lacks eq), this 'mon is not easy to revenge kill because it's bulky for a DDer and its typing is so great defensively that it's going to have lots of opportunities to set up. Some ppl have even run Fire Blast to deal with Scizor, which is one of the hugest threats to Mega Alt. Also B- rank sells this 'mon so short; you say that it struggles vs said 'mons when you fail to acknowledge that it literally sets up on/heavily damages damn near the rest of this tier. Also, if M-Alt is anywhere >70% and is at +1, Mamo and Weavile aren't effectively rking it.
--> UR: I hope this thing literally dies in a fire

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
-> S
I get that the new toys have not been out very long, but both on paper and in practice is Rotom-W a top-tier threat due to its versatility and ability to beat some of the most common Pokemon in the tier. Being able to easily check common threats such as Mega-Aerodactyl (not super common as of now because of people wanting to play with new drops), Scizor, Infernape, JIRACHI (if physical; otherwise, R.I.P) is really damn good, and having access to utility moves such as WoW, Volt Switch, and hell even Pain Split give the washing machine further potency.

The splashability of Rotom-W is also really good; very few team-comps would look at their team when needing a slot and say "nah, Rotom-W is a bad fit" because of how much this guy is capable of checking, beating, and doing as a teammate. Rotom-W, with the help of M-Mane (tbh primarily by itself) has made Volt-Turn a very potent playstyle because of 1) how many good users there already were and 2) how effective of glue washing machine is.

All in all, the washing machine is easily worthy of being put in S, A+ at the minimum, because of just how damn effective it is without much constraint on team-building at all. While Rotom-W isn't going to 6-0 you, it is still more than capable of being a massive threat to teams, is a defensive god-send, splashable like none other, and is nearly single-handedly making Volt-Turn incredibly good.

Update for tier shifts September 4

As you may have noticed, the tier shift was massive so the metagame is very different. Whenever you feel you have enough experience to post, you can start posting here.

Hawlucha and Ninetales Alolan are unranked because they rose to OU by usage.

New Pokemon Rank (Gallade Mega, Heracross Mega and Hoopa-U are banned and therefore not ranked)
it also seems like smeargle is in uu as well :(

Gonna nominate Lucario from C+ ---> B-/B

So after coming back to play pokemon just before the Xurk suspect test started I've having been lurking until I felt like I was caught up enough to say something intelligent/semi-productive. Anyway with all of the drops and changes coming around right now I think Lucario is potentially going to be in a very good place once the meta settles down a little bit. I've spent the past few weeks using Lucario as a late game cleaner on an adjusted version of a volt-turn team that I used last gen to great effect, and with all the partners and tools that Lucario and volt-turn are getting right now I think he's gonna get even better. Lucario benefits from playstyles and strategies like hazard stacking and volt-turn that help put chip damage in on mons that might otherwise stop his sweep, and with all the great volt-turn and hazard stacking mons we already have in the tier like Scizor and Klefki I believe Lucario's primed and ready to make an impact.

For all calcs and statements Lucario will be considered Adamant w/Life Orb since that's his best set as far as I know.

Mega-Garde: Breaks mons over it's knee to create holes for Lucario, even if it doesn't 2hko a mon then its still tearing them to the point where a +2 Lucario should be able to break through. Conversely if your opponent tries to bring in Mega-Garde anytime after you're +2 then you're demolishing it. Additionally, the introduction of Mega-Garde alongside other mons like Mega-Mane and Rotom-W who I'll be covering later we'll likely be seeing a drop in Primarina usage, which I found was one of the most annoying mons for Lucario to get through lately.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir-Mega: 471-556 (170 - 200.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir-Mega: 315-370 (113.7 - 133.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Jirachi: There was a time when I didn't hate this mon, I have no idea what was wrong with meat the time. Regardless, Jirachi supports Luc by wearing down many of the switch-ins that give Luc issues and since Jirachi can run so many sets there's a ton of options you can run to help Luc out. One set that I've run in the past involves Healing Wish, and worked by allowing me to bring Luc in at an early opportunity to lay into my opponent's team and then bringing him back to full health with Healing Wish later in the game when my opponent was whittled down.

Additionally Lucario can run Inner Focus if you want to to avoid getting flinched to death by Scarfed Jirachi and allowing Luc to dodge the risk of getting flinched to death.
252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 73-87 (25.9 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 497-585 (145.7 - 171.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mega-Altaria: Luc loses this fight if he's not at +2 already, but Luc demolishes with Bullet Punch if boosted. This drop doesn't do much for Luc since I can't imagine Mega-Altaria being more popular until more things leave.
252 Atk Altaria-Mega Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lucario: 260-308 (92.5 - 109.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Altaria-Mega: 307-361 (105.4 - 124%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mega-Latias: You don't do too well in this match-up, sorry bud but they won't all be winners.

Smeargle: Can drop webs for Lucario, and Spore mons to potentially open a free turn somewhere down the line for Lucario to get a boost off. Definitely a big help to patch up Luc's terrible speed tier.

Nihilego: Lucario double resists one of Nihilego's STABs and is completely immune to the other, which is needless to say a very good thing for Luc. If Nihilego is choice locked into Sludge Wave you get to SD for free, if it comes in ever when you have SR up you have a 75% chance to kill with unboosted Bullet Punch. Nihilego will probably run HP Fire so Lucario isn't exactly excited to switch in on the Ultra Beast, but this is still a good drop for Luc.
252 SpA Choice Specs Nihilego Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 64-75 (22.7 - 26.6%) -- 73.5% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Nihilego Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lucario: 258-304 (91.8 - 108.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nihilego: 601-710 (167.4 - 197.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nihilego: 304-359 (84.6 - 100%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Rotom-W: New best pivot, utility mon, and single-handedly breathes life into volt-turn by existing. Gives a nice slow Volt Switch to allow Lucario a chance to get in for free on occasion. It's almost difficult to list all the reasons why it's such a big help to Lucario since it would just devolve into explaining why Rotom-W is just such a great utility mon overall. Rotom-W does cause issues for Lucario if he's not already at +2 though, so that's a definite issue, but one that can be played around.
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-Wash: 341-403 (112.5 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mega-Manectric: It's fast, it forces switches, and has a powerful STAB Volt Switch. If your opponent's switch in is Blissey then they get to experience the painful side of a +2 Lucario. Conversely if your enemy is running Mega-Manectric you have a serious issue though, as you can't instakill after a boost because of Intimidate.
+1 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Manectric-Mega: 450-530 (160.1 - 188.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Mega-Heracross and Mega-Gallade: You don't beat either reliably, you have a 31% chance of beating Mega-Gallade if you have rocks up, but otherwise it's a bad match up. Mega-Heracross can give you some solid fighting spam to break through teams more effectively.

Overall I don't think Lucario is about to become some sort of tier defining threat or anything, and the loss of Aurora Veil definitely isn't a great change for him but to put him in the same rank as Chesnaught, Florges, Tsareena, and Camerupt just doesn't do Lucario justice. I personally believe he belongs in B with mons like Mega-Abomasnow and Alolan Muk, but B- would be a solid enough rise for now.

This post was longer than I anticipated that it would turn out.

-> A+

While this thing is very good and the best pivot in the tier, I don't think it deserves S just yet. Washtom's great bulk is offset by its low HP, and considering most of the new drops as well as the old staples such as Latias and Mega Shark are very offensive, the washing machine is whittled down quite easily and Pain Split isn't reliable enough for it to be considered a wall. However, I feel it more than deserves A+ rank and is on the level of Cobalion, Weavile, Mega Shark, and Gliscor. It just blanket checks so much of the offensive meta with the combination of its amazing defensive typing (we literally have 3 grass types atm lol) and Will-O, allowing it to check a lot of popular physical attackers such as Mega Aero, Cobalion (unboosted, +2 Z-move annihilates) and Krookodile. Volt Switch and being a pivot adds to its usefulness, giving teams a relatively slow pivoting move and allowing it to get decent chip off. Lastly, its so splashable as said before, being able to easily be thrown onto teams as a check to threats or a physical mon check. While I don't feel S is right, A+ is easily the rank for Washtom.

Will post more later (mostly on Mega Mane and Garde).

to B-

Nihilego has had probably the smallest impact on the UU meta out of all the new drops, and for good reason as it struggles to really stand apart from both the new and old mons of UU. For example, it's lead set is mostly outclassed by Azelf who boasts much higher speed, Taunt, and Explosion, all valuable resources for a rocks lead. Nihilego on the other hand only has Toxic Spikes and...Clear Smog I guess, to set it apart from the lake pixie. And while T-Spikes are fairly useful against teams without a poison type, Nihilego doesn't have a solid way to stop Defog, Rapid Spin, or opposing hazards from happening outside of trying to KO the opponent, which isn't easy if it's running sash.
As for offensive sets, they can be fairly dangerous thanks to Beast Boost acting as a special Moxie but tend to fall short in one way or another, it's speed is rather awkward as it's just a few points below some very noteworthy mons like Cobalion, Infernape, and Mega-Sharpedo, all of whom easily threaten Nihilego due to it's paper thin physical defense.
And speaking of defense, while it's SpDef is really good and could make for a decent pivot into special attackers, it's typing leaves it weak to two of the more common special types, Psychic and Water, while it's only notable resistances is Fairy and Fire.
Thankfully coverage is probably the least of Nihilego's worries as it can get by fairly well with it's STABs plus T-bolt and Grass Knot, allowing it to hit Steels for natural and Grounds for SE.
Items are a different story however, each leaving Nihilego with problems.
A Scarf brings it's speed up enough to help snag a KO on things like M-Aero, M-Beedrill, or something on it's last leg, allowing Nihilego to get the ball rolling on a potential sweep thanks to Beast Boost. But at the cost of being rather weak before actually getting a KO, getting locked into a move, and still being slower then Scarf Infernape and +1 Mega Shark.
Holding Specs gives Nihilego the raw power it wants to break through things like Gliscor, but at the cost of being slower then things like Lati, Cobalion, Weavile, and every common scarfer in UU. It's also worth mentioning that Nihilego takes a crap ton of damage from getting Pursuit trapped, meaning getting choice locked into the wrong move is pretty much an invitation for things like Krook or A-Muk to destroy you.
Life Orb and Z-Crystals are interesting choices, giving you the freedom to switch moves while still hitting hard and even giving you the option to run a support move, but LO has some stiff competition from Nidoking, who hits a bit harder out the gate and has a better offensive typing and movepool, and Azelf, who is faster and has Nasty Plot, Psyshock, and the option of going physical or mixed.
And as for Z-moves, it doesn't really do much with them that other mons can't do just as well, if not better. Rotom likes having a mini-nuke and reduced Knock Off damage, Lati enjoys destroying everything after a Calm Mind, Rachi loves Z-moves, ect ect.
It might be interesting to run Rockium Z with Sandstorm, giving you the option to either hit hard with Z-Power Gem or get a Speed and Spdef boost for late game cleaning, but that'd be more of a gimmick at best.
Still, Nihilego has a few perks to keep it relevant, it's a strong Poison type that outspeeds every fairy in the tier, it's a decent T-Spike user, it can cripple some of it's switchins with T-wave, and it has Beast Boost, which is a great ability to have as long as you're not named Guzzlord.

TL;DR Version: It's a few Speed points shy of being a reliable sweeper, Scarf is easy to abuse and lacks power, it's typing isn't terribly useful offensively or defensively, and Azelf is more reliable for setting up rocks.
It's the awkward younger sibling of UU, trying to be like older bothers and sisters but can't manage the same results in any one area.

O shit, if its aight I wanna bring another thing to the table. (no bias bc i love this mon)

to S RANK

This thing is amazing right now and always has been and in my opinion is a cut above the other 3 A+ ranks we have (4 if my Rotom-W nom goes through). Weavile puts a ton of pressure on the opposing team from team preview and is one of the best if not the most effective cleaners in the tier. The STABs it has are some of the most spammable in the tier, Knock Off offering insane utility to remove really important items and Ice STAB just being really good in general and putting a solid dent in anything not named Suicune, Alomomola, or the like. Its offensive stats are amazing too with 125 speed being amazing for outspeeding things like Lati, mega pidge, etc. and the attack lets it dent so many things and chip down/clean opposing teams so easily. It beats things like coba, mamo, terrak, and more thanks to low kick, pursuit trapping is amazing and discourages the rise of voltturn and helps murder latias and other things, and priority just makes it even better in letting it stop very powerful sweepers, check common scarfers such as Hydreigon and scarf latias, and megas like aero and scept, bee as well. even though prima is kinda outclassed by mgarde as a pure offensive fairy atm Mega Garde isn't gonna stay around for long so poison jab is a viable choice for a fourth slot. Weavile is too consistent with what it does and too threatening to every team archetype due to its spammable stabs, good coverage, and insane offensive stats to not be placed in S.

I think Weavile is far behind from S, especially with all these new threats. Scarf Jirachi is a popular set, Gardevoir needs some prior damage for a clean KO, Gallade can take a hit and KO back as well, while Mega Heracross resists Knock Off. Rotom-wash also gives it a relatively bad match-up since it carries WoW. Mega Manectrjc outspeeds it and has intimidate. It's prolly good against Mega Latias and Altaria, so I'll give you that.

Weavile also has many of its old checks: Sharpedo, Scizor, Cobalion, are a few offensive ones. There's also Alo, Suicune, and bulky Fairy types that wall it, and are fairly popular in bulky playstyles. Overall Weavile is good but not s-Rank material. There are so many threats it kinda fails to handle, despite being one of the fastest and having one of the most spammable moves in the tier.

Last edited:

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
Celebi A- -> B+ (maybe B)

Celebi right now is not in the best spot ever since this new meta came in (though I would argue that it should have dropped a long time ago). Anyways, this meta is not kind to offensive Grass-types at all since it is full of Steel-types (Mega Steelix, Mega Aggron, Klefki, Scizor, Jirachi), Dragon-types (Regular and Mega Latias, Scarf Hydreigon, Mega Altaria), Weavile, and Infernape which can either force Celebi out or straight up wall it depending on its set. Nasty Plot Celebi has a hard time setting up honestly since it can be revenge killed quite easily and finds very little room to set up most of the time due to how fast paced the meta is and with both the presence of Steel and Dragon-types on teams, it has to decide between D-Gleam, HP Fire, and Earth Power (or sacrifice one of its stabs) in order to be effective. Offensive and Defensive Rocks sets are alright but, I found that they still faced the same problems as NP Celebi (bar the setting up pat) since it finds not too many opportunities to switch in and set up rocks. Also Mega Swampert left, which was a primary reason to use Celebi since it could deal with any set without Ice Punch (still it could live 1 hit and recover up with Giga Drain).

Last edited:

dingbat

snek
Time to flood this thread once again

===New pkmns===

--> B: I actually think B- is selling Nihilego a bit short despite it being... rather average. To say that it doesn't deal with hazard control well is kind of an overstatement since Z-Bolt/Z-Thunder screws most of them over. And while Nihilego does not have the base speed nor the power to pull off an immediate sweep, it still does a rather good job cleaning late-game, especially when threats like Scizor, Jirachi, and co. are eliminated. That being said, it does need a considerable amount of support to do its job well in this meta.
--> A+: I second this
--> S: Like Jirachi, I also likely see Mega Gardevoir getting banned in the near future because it simply puts such a massive stranglehold on teambuilding, threatening literally anything that's not a Steel-type or Muk-Alola while also having the ability to cripple those checks with Wisp. At least it doesn't flinch everything to death oml

===Old pkmns===

S--> A+: Still really good at doing what it does best, but the introduction of BanRachi, Mega Garde, and Mega Altaria and the rising usage of Weavile (which, unlike Krook, ohkos with Knock after rocks), Scizor, and Klefki all hurt it significantly enough to drop this from S rank.
B --> C+: Rotom-W dropping into this tier hurt Rotom-C pretty badly because the former is so fucking splashable while also being able to smash through most of the same Ground-types, although Rotom-C arguably still has a somewhat easier time breaking through bulky Water-types like Suicune.
B --> B+: Say hello to Alomomola offense
B- --> B: The magnet has found very valuable use once again, as it pairs extremely well with Mega Garde and Mega Altaria, both of which truly appreciate having Scizor and other Steel-types weakened or killed.
B- --> C+: I'm starting to realize how mediocre Nidoqueen is in this meta because its defensive utility in this meta just... doesn't quite fit the bill anymore :x
C+ --> UR: Ye forget about D rank, just erase this forever.
C --> UR: Someone earlier nommed this and I forgot who but I agree because Mantine and Tenta collectively outclass this as a Haze user, so erase this as well.
C- --> UR: As much as I like mighty bitey fishies, Aurora Veil is dead and Volt-Turn gives this a solid middle finger. Erase this too

Also mega hera and mega gallade are not in this tier so idk why ppl be mentioning those in their arguments

Last edited:

Moutemoute

Error 404
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I agree with all that have been said in the exception of Weavile in S rank (imo it's a freaking huge threat but it needs some support to be effective).
Plus, I also would like to say one thing :

Zygarde 10% - From C to ? (I guess somewhere in B)
With the recent shift, Zygarde 10% has become a pretty anti-meta Pokemon. A lot of team use Rotom-Wash to soak up Ground Attack witch is fair tbh but it opens doors to Zygarde 10% which can spam is STAB Thousand Arrows and almost kill one Pokemon everytime it comes. Since they are a lot of Steel type in the Metagame and only a few viable Grass Pokemon, Zygarde 10% is pretty scary especially when it's coupled with Volt-Turn.

252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 172+ Def Rotom-Wash: 270-320 (89.1 - 105.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 368-434 (91.3 - 107.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gardevoir-Mega: 262-309 (94.5 - 111.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Latias-Mega: 157-186 (43.2 - 51.2%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 201-237 (61.8 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde-10% Thousand Arrows vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 195-231 (45.1 - 53.4%) -- 90.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

As you can see with this few calcs, Zydog can ensure a lot of OHKO / 2HKO which mean that it doesn't have a lot a counter. Gliscor can handle it, as well as Alomomola or Suicune but as I said before, with Volt-Turn, it's pretty easy to pressure and to weaken this checks.

dingbat

snek
on my phone so no sprites

Mega Altaria --> A: I honestly believe this is low-key broken as well, but since Steel-types are fucking everywhere right now, and it reeeeally meeds those dead in order for it to set up and clean house. Otherwise rlly good pkmn

Mega Manectric --> A: Really thought this would be kinda average at first but man this thing is actually annoying as fuck vs offensive teams lmao. Fantastic option that outspeeds much of this meta and the one and only set it will ever run here is all it really needs to be a top threat here.

Zydoge C --> at least B-: Sparrow and I have tried this in the new meta and I gotta say, Moutemoute hit the nail on this. Thousand Arrows has become that much better due to the drops because it heavily threatens many of the drops, Steel-types like Klefki have become much more common, and the offense people have been running lately have few answers to 1k arrows. Still has an awful time switching in, especially without U-Turn support.

Smeargle --> B-: Another cool suicide lead, I'm surprised I haven't seen ppl use mental herb yet to fuck with Azelf leads though, haha

Mega Ampharos --> C: Mediocre 'mon that struggles against a wide swath of this meta and isn't even the best option on Trick Room teams, baa...

Last edited:
Obviously a ton of pokemon are misplaced due to the drops but here are just a few I can think of. In general the meta got a lot faster so pokemon favoring that will move up and vice versa.

C -> A-: Won't post too much because I'd basically be repeating what Moutemoute said but there's no way this pokemon should remain in C after the drops. In the current UU meta the choice band set is really strong. You can switch in on a rotom volt switch, klefki, sr rachi etc. and basically guarantee a kill on a standard high level team since teams can rarely afford to carry stuff to wall it. If you pair it with spikes then usually the only possible switch in is Gliscor and you can also run adamant to secure a 2hko after rocks on it. Banded extreme speed is also very useful in the revenge-centric meta.

B- -> B: Pretty decent pokemon after the drops, I ran a restalk shadow claw gyro ball, 252hp, 252 spdef impish set and it makes a decent check to Mega Garde, Mega Altaria (can't be trapped by magneton), happy hour jirachi - all three of these are massive threats in the current meta and although doublade is susceptible to getting worn down it can beat a lot of big threats one on one.

A- -> A: I think Klefki is one of the strongest pokemon at the moment. Just seems to be able to get up at least 2 layers every game, is the suicide hazard setter of choice at the moment, great on HO. Priority thunder wave is also extremely useful in the fast meta. It makes a good switch in to a number of other good pokemon e.g. weavile and can set up. You can put pressure on defog users and spinners pretty easily at the moment and if the opposing team doesn't have decent hazard control to begin with this pokemon basically guarantees a positive matchup.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Obviously a ton of pokemon are misplaced due to the drops but here are just a few I can think of. In general the meta got a lot faster so pokemon favoring that will move up and vice versa.

C -> A-: Won't post too much because I'd basically be repeating what Moutemoute said but there's no way this pokemon should remain in C after the drops. In the current UU meta the choice band set is really strong. You can switch in on a rotom volt switch, klefki, sr rachi etc. and basically guarantee a kill on a standard high level team since teams can rarely afford to carry stuff to wall it. If you pair it with spikes then usually the only possible switch in is Gliscor and you can also run adamant to secure a 2hko after rocks on it. Banded extreme speed is also very useful in the revenge-centric meta.
Two whole ranks? Did you mean to type B- ?

Of course we will consider your nomination anyways but I think you probably need to write more analysis to have a chance of such a large jump.

Notily

dirt rich
A --> A-

mega pidgeot hasnt really fared too well after shifts for a couple reasons. the tier gained a handful of solid flying resists that fit well on offense (nihi, rotom-w, rachi, etc) making it less of a threat to the playstyle. Rotom-w in particular is a huge bitch, being super splashable and hard walling mpidge. in addition to this, mgarde has caused defensive steels like emp, spdef rachi, and spdef klefki to be more commonplace which is a bad thing for bird. despite this it's still a top tier offensive threat and its stallbreaker set still functions well enough, i just don't think its as threatening as it was pre-shifts

Two whole ranks? Did you mean to type B- ?

Of course we will consider your nomination anyways but I think you probably need to write more analysis to have a chance of such a large jump.
Yeah that's fair, I don't actually think it should move up two tiers, that's just where I would place it based on the brief look at the meta we got in two weeks. With such big shifts occurring there's gonna be big shifts in how good pokemon are but I agree it's more prudent to make incremental changes to tiers.

This will be probably the only post I'll make in a while. I've only played the meta in a not-so-serious sense, but there are some Pokemon that clearly stick out to me that requires movement (particularly from the B-ranks).

Talonflame: Rotom-W and MegaMan really restricted Talonflame's opportunities to set-up and sweep, especially with the former's dual resistance and high longevity and the latter's ability to outspeed it. Considering that VoltTurn has become a pretty popular and reliable playstyle, Talonflame's inability to deal with the current metagame trends is not a temporary setback.

Abomasnow-Mega: This mega suffers from the increased prominence of VoltTurn. Even though the Pokemon has good bulk to switch into Pokemon like Rotom-W, Abomasnow still can't stop said threats from switching into another Pokemon that can force Abomasnow out. If Rocks are up, Abomasnow is almost guaranteed dead without a reliable hazard control strategy.

Suicune: Suicune should drop in the Viability Rankings. VinCune and CroCune sets really can't beat the big Mega wallbreakers coming into UU right now (specifically Mega Gardevoir and Mega Latias). The former bypasses Substitute on VinCune and trashes CroCune with Psyshock while the lattter outscales it with Stored Power.

roman

Banned deucer.
This will be probably the only post I'll make in a while. I've only played the meta in a not-so-serious sense, but there are some Pokemon that clearly stick out to me that requires movement (particularly from the B-ranks).

Talonflame: Rotom-W and MegaMan really restricted Talonflame's opportunities to set-up and sweep, especially with the former's dual resistance and high longevity and the latter's ability to outspeed it. Considering that VoltTurn has become a pretty popular and reliable playstyle, Talonflame's inability to deal with the current metagame trends is not a temporary setback.

Abomasnow-Mega: This mega suffers from the increased prominence of VoltTurn. Even though the Pokemon has good bulk to switch into Pokemon like Rotom-W, Abomasnow still can't stop said threats from switching into another Pokemon that can force Abomasnow out. If Rocks are up, Abomasnow is almost guaranteed dead without a reliable hazard control strategy.

Suicune: Suicune should drop in the Viability Rankings. VinCune and CroCune sets really can't beat the big Mega wallbreakers coming into UU right now (specifically Mega Gardevoir and Mega Latias). The former bypasses Substitute on VinCune and trashes CroCune with Psyshock while the lattter outscales it with Stored Power.
actually, if crocune cms on the m garde switchin it sets up barring crits. so this isn't a 1 liner, id like to make a nomination of my own.

b+ -> a-

i think the meta has really been in amoonguss's favor atm. rotom-wash's huge splash on the tier has really discouraged use of pokemon such as mega pidgeot and fire-types like entei (this doesn't include nape, as it's rising because it's one of the only zhh rachi answers) which used to really hurt amoon. it may seem really strange nomming a defensive utility mon in a majorly offensive meta but i feel as if amoon has only gotten better with some new utility as of late -

magneton has become better recently trapping problematic steel-types such as scizor for mega altaria. amoon provides great support with ebutton, giving magneton a free switch into scizor. it also checks arguably the best sweepers in the tier, mega altaria and z happy hour jirachi. the former is easily checked by clear smog and though the latter isn't checked as easily because of serene grace, spore + foul play having a guaranteed 2hko should take care of it nicely. ebutton also essentially gives you a free switch per game, letting you take all the momentum if your opponent lacks scizor. also more offensive archetypes having access to a surefire way of dealing with scizor as well as a jirachi/malt check and wash switchin is a huge boon. spore is obviously as good as ever, pretty much crippling a foe for the majority of the game and potentially getting a few free turns + another free spore if they waste time trying to wake it.

kind of a short nom but i feel as if this mon should be in the ranks with mons such as mega blastoise and celebi as the recent meta trends have really been in its favor.

also seconding a few noms --

a -> a-
wanted to second pidg dropping. nihi / wash / rachi all dropping and the last two being very common and splashable are all bad news for mega pidg and make hurricane much less reliable/spammable.

c -> b-
having a great matchup against voltturn alone should boost this mon into a higher rank. also having a good matchup against new drops such as wash nihilego and jirachi are great for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)