SM UU Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of these abilities don't help Raikou too much, but I believe Inner Focus would be the less valuable of the two. Raikou has a really good speed tier, and therefore cannot gain much benefit from Inner Focus since mons like Togekiss and Cobalion are obviously slower and can't flinch Raikou down anyways. The only positives Raikou gains from using Inner Focus (if I haven't overseen anything obvious) would be a random Fake Out or avoiding a Dark Pulse flinch from Scarf Hydreigon. Pressure, on the other hand, offers more usability in that you can sap away at the PP of moves such as Serperior's Leaf Storm when Raikou is running the SubCM set. It doesn't have any other notable uses besides this, but I think that the pros to running Pressure on Raikou slightly outweigh the benefit Inner Focus provides.
I'd run Inner Focus to help against the Ambipom wave. Not that it will help any.

I've been seeing a lot of ambipom on ladder. Is it actually good now? Or is it just a gimmicky mon that people are underprepared for?
Pokeaimmd's been using it for the lulz and to prove you can get high on the ladder with *mostly* any decent mon as long as you know how to use it (mostly for the former). It's most likely not gonna get ranked tbh, but it's a nice and dumb way to shake things a little while we wait for the tier updates.

Between Throat Chop and Shadow Claw, which is better on Linoone? Throat Chop do the same that Shadow Claw do, but stronger

Last edited:

Accel

thanks for the memories
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Between Throat Chop and Shadow Claw, which is better on Linoone? Throat Chop do the same that Shadow Claw do, but stronger
Both moves see use just for the sake of coverage so that Linoone isn't a sitting duck in the face of opposing Ghost types. I don't think the damage rolls are affected either way since both moves will get you the results you need with a +6 Belly Drum boost, so it really comes down to the individual utility offered by Throat Chop and Shadow Claw and which one you value more. Throat Chop seems like it covers just a little more ground to me with its secondary effect rather than just having a slightly increased crit chance with Shadow Claw.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Since Alolatales Veil is dead for good, any chance that the following mons could get suspected?

-Manaphy
-Porygon-Z
-Diggersby

If I'm tryna make normal ou trick room (stak/crawdaunt/marowak/cress/uxie) into a uu team what is a good alternative for mawile?

Basically if you want a good fairy type under TR in UU I would assume that Azumarill is the best of them with Choice Band or (Z-)Belly Drum.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Any place someone can look for 'battle buddies'? Or a place where beginners can find other beginners?
Nah but feel free to ask any simple questions you have about UU or PS here, as I'd be happy to try my best to answer them! :D You can also get a tutor in the Battling 101 forum. If you ask nicely on showdown people should be willing to help you as well.

Tenebricite

Leader of the Pawniards
is a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
I think what he meant to say was "a good, qualified artist should draw a new picture for the VR thread" or something along those lines but I'm not sure

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
This is sort of a follow-up to my previous question, but since a final decision is coming soon on the fate of Azumarill and Serperior, are there any plans for re-tests after those? I really want Diggersby to come back.

For anyone who reads this, could we institute a re-vamp of the Sample Team section? Recently, a lot of people are dropping random teams that aren't very good in there assuming that it's a quick RMT section. This also confuses new players that rely on Sample Teams as a learning resource by providing them with inherently bad teams to learn the tier with. I like how Ubers has a mini-committee that votes on whether the teams will be added to the sample list or not.

Hi, this is just a small question. Knowing that Azumarill, Serperior and Scolipede were recently released in UU (2 of which remained), can we reasonably imagine that other BL pokémons will be re-test in this tier in the months or year to come? Among the banned of UU beta (which date from February 2017), there are for example Alakazam, Breloom, Diggersby, Porygon-Z, Mega-Slowbro, Staraptor or Thundurus. Which ones will likely be suspect-test in UU? Why not Drizzle too (there is no more Gyarados or Tornadus)
Sprite_6_x_065_1.png
Sprite_6_x_286.png
Sprite_6_x_660.png
Sprite_6_x_474.png
Sprite_6_x_398_m.png

Another small question out of curiosity: how to explain that Mega-Houndoom is progressed in SM compared to XY (from BL2 to BL)?

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
Another small question out of curiosity: how to explain that Mega-Houndoom is progressed in SM compared to XY (from BL2 to BL)?
In XY, Drought was banned. In SM, Drought is not banned. Houndoominite was banned instead. The combination of Mega Houndoom and Drought is notoriously very unhealthy for the tier in both gens due to Houndoom's sheer wallbreaking power under sun combined with its high Speed stat.

Hi, this is just a small question. Knowing that Azumarill, Serperior and Scolipede were recently released in UU (2 of which remained), can we reasonably imagine that other BL pokémons will be re-test in this tier in the months or year to come? Among the banned of UU beta (which date from February 2017), there are for example Alakazam, Breloom, Diggersby, Porygon-Z, Mega-Slowbro, Staraptor or Thundurus. Which ones will likely be suspect-test in UU? Why not Drizzle too (there is no more Gyarados or Tornadus)
View attachment 99077View attachment 99078View attachment 99079View attachment 99080View attachment 99081

Hi. UU Crash Course.

In M-Houndoom's case, it benefited from the legalization of Drought in UU. In past iterations of UU, Drought was banned, so M-Houndoom's NP set was manageable. However, in Gen VII, M-Houndoom's new way to abuse Drought with Solar Power allowed its NP set to plow through most of the metagame with Fire Blast, including Blissey. It became a broken aspect of the metagame and was locked away (for good reason, too).

Porygon-Z's main issue was that the Z-Conversion set made it really hard to revenge kill for multiple reasons. First, you get the +1 across all stats, which makes it much harder to Revenge Kill with neutral moves. Second, Conversion's mechanic of switching Porygon-Z's typing makes it really hard to Revenge kill as well. Variants either ran Thunderbolt or Shadow Ball in the first slot. After the Z-Conversion, its typing changes to either Electric or Ghost. When one plays against it, there's no way to concretely determine the best way to Revenge kill it. I'm pretty sure there were a plethora of other reasons, but I personally think these two are the most important ones.

Staraptor is just incredibly problematic because of CB Brave Bird and Close Combat with Reckless. With the damage boost from Reckless, very few Pokemon can actually check it reliably, especially since it sits at a considerably high speed tier.

I can't really speak on the other three, but for Diggersby, I think its SD set invalidates Bulky Offense and Balance builds with a combination of Return/Earthquake/Quick Attack.

Hope this was helpful.

shouldnt there be a pinned (and closed) thread with the tier's rules, and updated banlist, alongside with relevant info (current / planned suspect tests, etc)

Hi. UU Crash Course.

In M-Houndoom's case, it benefited from the legalization of Drought in UU. In past iterations of UU, Drought was banned, so M-Houndoom's NP set was manageable. However, in Gen VII, M-Houndoom's new way to abuse Drought with Solar Power allowed its NP set to plow through most of the metagame with Fire Blast, including Blissey. It became a broken aspect of the metagame and was locked away (for good reason, too).

Porygon-Z's main issue was that the Z-Conversion set made it really hard to revenge kill for multiple reasons. First, you get the +1 across all stats, which makes it much harder to Revenge Kill with neutral moves. Second, Conversion's mechanic of switching Porygon-Z's typing makes it really hard to Revenge kill as well. Variants either ran Thunderbolt or Shadow Ball in the first slot. After the Z-Conversion, its typing changes to either Electric or Ghost. When one plays against it, there's no way to concretely determine the best way to Revenge kill it. I'm pretty sure there were a plethora of other reasons, but I personally think these two are the most important ones.

Staraptor is just incredibly problematic because of CB Brave Bird and Close Combat with Reckless. With the damage boost from Reckless, very few Pokemon can actually check it reliably, especially since it sits at a considerably high speed tier.

I can't really speak on the other three, but for Diggersby, I think its SD set invalidates Bulky Offense and Balance builds with a combination of Return/Earthquake/Quick Attack.

Hope this was helpful.
Like what, the introduction of some BL in UU arrived faster than I thought :) (I did not expect Buzzwhole by cons, because it was banned much more recently)

Is Tornadus-I potentially viable as a Prankster Defogger that can punish Dark-types that switch in to block Defog with Superpower/Focus Blast? It also might enjoy the absence of Rotom-W and, for the suspect at least, the presence of Breloom and Buzzwole.

Just wondering if anybody's tried it out since it got its new toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)