Resource SM RU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

You mean like how people are running rapid spin or defog for hazards? And Rapid Spin being a complete utter garbage move?
And I still don't see the difference too reflect/lscreen, if someone wants too argue about 2 turn setup, well...most of the time you don't need both screens to be effective.

You mean like how people are running rapid spin or defog for hazards? And Rapid Spin being a complete utter garbage move?
And I still don't see the difference too reflect/lscreen, if someone wants too argue about 2 turn setup, well...most of the time you don't need both screens to be effective.
The difference is that hazards are on the vast majority of teams, so Rapid Spin and Defog are always gonna be useful, while Brick Break is gonna be useless whenever the opponent doesn't use veil.

Can someone tell me why Aurora Veil is more broken than Reflect/Light Screen? I honestly don't get the NU ban.
You can Defog it, Brick Break it or Psychic Fangs it(hi sharpedo)

Also Nidoqueen is crazy, already making a great impact in RU. Love it
To elaborate a bit, it is both moves in one, and the Pokemon that use it, A-Slash and Cryogonal, the latter of which can also set up Reflect/Screen on top of A-Veil, are Ice types and most every Defog user is weak to Ice types so you can't defog on those Pokemon, and when they switch out to a set up Pokemon any Defog user will be pressured against practically every set up Pokmeon that A-Veil teams run.

Psychic Fangs is only used on Bruxish and Sharpedo which is makes use already super small, both are also pretty frail, and the A-Veil teams run Pangoro in the RU environment which will prevent Fangs from breaking A-Veil due to immunity. Seeing as both are RU by usage that leaves the only Psychic Fang user in NU being Stoutland who probably doesn't have much general usage.

Since Defog users are pressured easily by the strategy and P.Fang users very few in numbers and even then Shark won't have it on every set or most times in general, that would leave Brick Break, and that's a very bad move to have to be running just to counter a strategy. Most Pokemon that can run BB would rather have a stronger fighting move because they need it for damage against the rest of the metas (both in RU and NU). Difference between moves like Defog/Spin are being used for supporting a team, whereas BB is supposed to be an offensive move that basically removes Screens with extra damage if they are set up. Optimally there's no draw backs to running Defog or Spin on Pokemon who generally learn it as their movepools allow it, BB while being learned by many Pokemon can never find a place to be ran over Superpower or Close Combat due to needing to get kill shots. If you have to run a bad offensive move to help counter a strategy that's pretty bad.

It would just be better running a different weather setter to counter the Hail than running a Brick Break user tbh, but then that just would make a tier of I guess weather wars and something not everyone will want to run on every team just to counteract a weather + double screen strat.

Edit: There are also replays showing how good the strategy in simple form but I don't have any showing potency in RU, and if you want the NU replays, Meeps posted some of his in the policy review discussion of A-Veil in NU right there.

I'm not very familiar with RU, but has Mantine leaving the tier affected Blastoise's viability at all? Both are bulky Water types with access to entry hazard removal so I was wondering.

I don't care much for Blastoise in RU. I'm mainly hoping eventually it will fall to NU where maybe it can shine.

I'm not very familiar with RU, but has Mantine leaving the tier affected Blastoise's viability at all? Both are bulky Water types with access to entry hazard removal so I was wondering.

I don't care much for Blastoise in RU. I'm mainly hoping eventually it will fall to NU where maybe it can shine.
No, there might be some people who consider using it, but Blastoise is still a bad spinner just based on the metagame, so its usage will still more or less be tied to low ladder more or less. It still has a whole bunch of negatives that Mantine just leaving won't fix. If it doesn't fall to NU then blame the lower ladder.

Curious as to why Goodra and Slowbro dropped in the VR recently. What changed for them?
The VR has been pretty stagnant more or less since beta/alpha so not many people have been making a lot of noms for top heavy mons from early alpha to drop or rise a lot. Goodra is a solid mon, just easily pressured by offensive Pokemon, and taken advantage of by common defensive Pokemon like Umbreon, P2, and Registeel who can status and tank any hit from the Goo Dragon.

I outlined in the VR rankings of why I thought Slowbro should drop, the primary being RU is filled with many Special Attackers, and Slowbro takes way too much damage unboosted to a variety of common Pokemon. Psychic / Water is a difficult to use defensive typing in the current metagame when the top Pokemon consist of Dark types and a plethora of special attackers. Even the physical attackers Slowbro is meant to pivot into and force out have ways to deal with Slowbro and would be highly reliant on a Scald burn to happen to be reliable.

The voting thread says Sharpedo got banned with a 57% majority, which is obviously not the case. However did some calcs myself and it seems that 57% would be the score IF all remaining voters voted no ban. Do other tiers do this? Seems like just giving the score right now and saying that more voters wouldn't change the outcome would be less confusing.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The voting thread says Sharpedo got banned with a 57% majority, which is obviously not the case. However did some calcs myself and it seems that 57% would be the score IF all remaining voters voted no ban. Do other tiers do this? Seems like just giving the score right now and saying that more voters wouldn't change the outcome would be less confusing.
does it change anything? whether he said it this way or that way, the outcome is the same.

its more or less a way to prevent from having an inevitable ban being held up by 2 or 3 persons wh take a long time for casting their vote. saying 57% ban majority is basically saying the minimum amount for a ban has already been met lets presume the rest of the voters all vote dont ban the end result would still stay the same. all in all its just speed up the whole proces

its more or less a way to prevent from having an inevitable ban being held up by 2 or 3 persons wh take a long time for casting their vote. saying 57% ban majority is basically saying the minimum amount for a ban has already been met lets presume the rest of the voters all vote dont ban the end result would still stay the same. all in all its just speed up the whole proces
I get that. But other tiers still do the same thing, just in a less confusing way. OU also stops the suspect when the minimum amount for a ban has been reached, but they tell the current ratio, with a clarification that more votes won't change the outcome, and I think RU should do a clarification like that too. Yes, it doesn't change anything, but it's less confusing.

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Most definitely a good pick for the tier. Electric types this gen have been lackluster in RU, but mega amphy offers nice offensive and defensive capabilities many teams could appreciate. Id assume the defensive pivot would be the main set but offensive sets could be interesting.

It is also one of the few offensive clerics in the game so there is that. It can be pretty useful imo.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Ampharos-Mega's typing does have 3 very common weaknesses, with Dragon, Ground and even Fairy somewhat being prominent. That being said, it'll be nice to have a special breaker that powerful in the tier, and who knows, it could even give life to TR teams.

Ampharos-Mega's typing does have 3 very common weaknesses, with Dragon, Ground and even Fairy somewhat being prominent. That being said, it'll be nice to have a special breaker that powerful in the tier, and who knows, it could even give life to TR teams.
Won't really give TR teams life, seeing as that team composition is really easy to pressure offensively or stall out via double switching. Likewise there has been a prominent drop in Fairy popularity with the reintroduction of Nidoqueen, so I'd say most of M-Amphy's threats lie within Ground-types.

Why is Heliolisk considered so bad? I don't see what mons hinders electric mons viability far Nidoqueen, and M-Lix just dropped so it can't be that

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why is Heliolisk considered so bad? I don't see what mons hinders electric mons viability far Nidoqueen, and M-Lix just dropped so it can't be that
The metagame right now is extremely unfriendly to the electric lizard. Extremely good specially defensive Pokemon in generations with Umbreon, Florges, Cresselia, Diancie, Porygon2, etc and do to the prevalence of Swellow many teams are having a good normal resist/boomburst sponge nowadays so if you prepare for swellow, you kind of prepare for heliolisk by default.

Tbh, thats also the reason why hardly any electric type besides the rotoms are like notable right now mainly because of its defensive utility. So yeah, thats basically it really. Maybe the ranking is rather harsh for it but that will be up to debate later on.

The ru-tiering info seems a bit out of date, I was looking for information on the mega absol ban and found that it doesn't list anything on why or when mega absol, sharpedo and reuniclus were banned. Could the thread be updated?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)