Project SM RU Core Builder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hello again! Im back now that school is over, sorry for the long break. My grades were slacking so wanted to finish the school year on a high. Anyway I will start with a new core archetype as the previously posted cores were a long time ago.

This week you will be making a defensive core, with 2-3 mons. Defensive cores are a very large part of most playstyes not including HO teams, most teams need some sort of defensive backbone for opposing offensive teams. The submitting will end on Thursday the 15th. Have fun!

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Acrobatics/ Eartquake
- Earthquake/ Knock Off

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play
- Heal Bell

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

I'm gonna go with a really common defensive core. They're all stall staples and it's basically the RegiMolaGon of this gen. Regi gets rocks and walls ~95% of the special attackers in the tier now that queen is gone. Glig is the best hazard remover in the tier and pivots in on a plethora of physical threats, as well as knocking off items, which stall loves. Umby acts as a cleric and wish support to keep Regi healthy. You can toy with the spreads as much as you'd like, speed creep is advised on all three mons, umby is phys def bc you don't need to be sdef for queen anymore, but you could definitely give it more sdef if you want etc.

Just add 3 mons that can take on Salazzle, an unaware mon (quag does both), another, preferably better fo hera check (if they knock the first time, +2 facade kills the next time it's in), a kommo check and a wincon such as sd escav, cm bro etc (bc f having pp stall as your only wincon).

hf stalling

PS: "can you find it in your heart to forgive me?"

207.png 009.png 241.png
Gligar (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Acrobatics
- U-turn
- Roost
- Stealth Rock/Defog/Knock Off/Earthquake/Toxic

Blastoise (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic/Roar/Mirror Coat/Haze
- Haze/Roar/Mirror Coat/Toxic

AND/OR

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat/Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Milk Drink
- Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave/Heal Bell
- Heal Bell/Thunder Wave/Toxic/Stealth Rock

I though I would share a core I came up with that has insane versatility in it´s sets and even in which Pokémon you decide to use, revolving around Gligar specifically. Any of these sets and cores can be used for Bulky Offense and Balance alike. Also I listed a few other viable options in their sets, which can be used or not depending on what your team needs. So Gligar, Blastoise and Miltank. This 3 have very nice synergy between them and it´s a pretty simple core to fit in a team.

Gligar checks/counters pretty much all Fighting Types in the tier as well as a bunch of other physical attackers. Acrobatics gives it a way to hit Fighting Types. This move also powers up if the user doesn´t have an item which is pretty clutch considering Knock Off is a move that is quite prevalent in the tier. U-turn on it´s own is an insane move on Gligar as it allows it to pivot into your frailer Pokémon completely safe. Roost gives Gligar reliable recovery which is always great to have. The last move can change depending on your team.

Blastoise covers Gligar´s only 2 weaknesess, Ice and Water, and it´s a nice defensive Pokémon in general. Scald as your main STAB which also has a chance to burn, and Rapid Spin as form of hazard control for the team. The last 2 moves are up to what you want to run. To be honest Blastoise is a Pokémon that only needs Scald and Rapid Spin to do well, which gives it a lot of freedom for it´s last 2 moves.

Miltank is a fantastic Pokémon in my opinion and I can´t understand why isn´t used that much. While it has very good offensive capabilities, as a defensive Pokémon is even better. Both Sap Sipper and Thick Fat make Miltank really hard to take down, as they give it an inmunity and 2 resistances respectively, allowing Miltank to switch into a lot of Pokémon, both offensive and defensive alike, on top of being a Normal Type, which means it only has 1 weakness in Fighting, which Gligar does cover. It also has acces to reliable recovery in Milk Drink and can be a cleric thanks to Heal Bell, both which drastically increase it´s longevity. It even has acces to Stealth Rock should the team need it. And just like Blastoise, Miltank´s last 2 moves are completely up to you to choose what you want to run.

This core has 3 different variants:

A) Gligar + Blastoise + Miltank: This variant includes all 3 Pokémon from above, and it´s more suited to Balanced teams given the defensive backbone it provides. Blastoise would become the hazard remover for the team, then either Gligar and Miltank can be the hazard setter. In this variant, Miltank should be used with Sap Sipper as it´s ability, as the resistances to Ice and Fire provided by Thick Fat are already covered by Blastoise. Partners for this variant would include Dark, Fire and Fighting Types that could deal with opposing Steel, Dark and Ground Types.

B) Gligar + Blastoise: This variant would fit better in Bulky Offense teams. It uses Blastoise as the hazard remover, and Gligar can be the hazard setter or not should your team have one already. Also this variant goes really well with hazard stacking teams as it utilizes Rapid Spin as it´s form of hazard control. This variant appreciates Pokémon that can eliminate Grass Types. Normal Types, as they have good synergy with Gligar and can hit Grass Types with powerful neutral STAB moves, and Fire Types are a good option, oh and Ice Types as well.

C) Gligar + Miltank: The last variant. This one in particular would fit well in both Balance and Bulky Offense. Both members can be the hazard setter. Should your team struggle with opposing hazards, Gligar can run Defog. Also depending on the rest of the team, Miltank can run either Sap Sipper or Thick Fat whichever works better. Depending on which ability you choose for Miltank, Fire, Water and/or Psychic Types that can get rid of opposing Fighting, Ice, Fire and Grass Types respectively go well with this variant.

143.png779.png160.png319.png215.png675.png214.png106.png758.png655.png282.png
B) Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 188 HP / 176 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Curse
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

OR

B) Snorlax (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 Atk / 212 SpD / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Fire Punch/Ice Punch/Seed Bomb/Gunk Shot/Pursuit/Heavy Slam/Superpower/Wild Charge

C) Bruxish (F) @ Life Orb/Waterium Z/Psychium Z
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Psychic Fangs
- Swords Dance

OR

C) Bruxish (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Strong Jaw
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Psychic Fangs
- Crunch
- Aqua Jet

C) Feraligatr (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Crunch
- Dragon Dance

OR

C) Feraligatr (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance

A-C) Sharpedo (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Protect

OR

A-C) Sharpedo (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Protect

A-B) Sneasel (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick/Pursuit

OR

A-B) Sneasel (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Low Kick
- Swords Dance

A) Pangoro (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy/Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot/Poison Jab
- Ice Punch/Earthquake/Bullet Punch

OR

A) Pangoro (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy/Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot/Poison Jab/Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

A) Heracross (M) @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

OR

A) Heracross (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

A) Hitmonlee @ Choice Scarf/Choice Band
Ability: Reckless/Limber
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick/Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Rapid Spin/Mach Punch

OR

A) Hitmonlee @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Reversal
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Endure

A-B-C) Salazzle @ Poisonium Z/Firium Z/Life Orb
Ability: Oblivious/Corrosion
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Overheat
- Sludge Wave
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt/Toxic/Will-O-Wisp

A-B-C) Delphox (F) @ Firium Z/Psychium Z/Life Orb
Ability: Blaze/Magician
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Calm Mind

OR

A-B-C) Delphox (F) @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Shadow Ball

C) Gardevoir (F) @ Psychium Z/Fairium Z/Life Orb
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt/Energy Ball
- Calm Mind

OR

C) Gardevoir (F) @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Trick
- Healing Wish/Energy Ball/Thunderbolt/Destiny Bond

While I was making this core and it´s variants, I was thinking for some offensive partners that could go well with any of them, and this is what I came up with. I though I should post it cuz Whynaut. You will notice that each variant of the core is sorted by a letter (A, B or C). To make easier to understand which Pokémon goes with which variant, I left the corresponding letter next to the sets. Each of these sets offers partners with wallbreaking, late game cleaning, and set up options. Keep in mind that every Pokémon listed takes advantage of the Pokémon Gligar lures in, those being mainly Ground, Steel and Water Types, which means that you can easily U-turn out into your offensive Pokémon and make the opponent´s answer to Gligar a liability. And as I said before, the core itself is very versatile, and so are the partners for it, so feel free to pick up anything you want to build your team or fill in a gap you couldn´t do so. There should be more options to go for, but this is what I could think of so far.

Last edited:

Take Azelfie

More flags more fun

Rhyperior @ Icium Z / Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Ice Punch

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

This core is really flexible on its onto a lot of teams mainly because they both provide utility that you almost always want to have on your team. First and foremost they give a Stealth Rocker and a Defogger which is great. Second is that there typings pair extremely well together. Rhyperior can pivot into Volt Switchers and eat any Rock-type move while Mantine can Toxic bulky Waters or Scald Ground-types. Although this ckre has theyre fair share of weaknesses like Rotom-H and Heliolisk, it fits really well on balance teams and is a good backbone if you ask me.

Mac3

im reminded theres no finer place to kiss
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sorry for being late with this but hve been extremely busy irl, anyway this week is a tie, so I will post both teams in the Hall of Fame.

This week you guys will be building a Dark Spam Core. The dark type is a huge part of our meta as almost all stall teams carry umbreon while many offense teams carry Sharpedo, Zoroark or Honchkrow. Dark spam is focused on breaking down eachothers checks to allow one of the mons to sweep lategame. Voting will begin Monday 26th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)