Project USM OU Teambuilding Competition V2 - Round 19: Stakataka (Voting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eclipse

Like a chimp with a machine gun
is a Contributor Alumnus
Co-hosted with GMars & Gastro
Taken over from BlazeLatias
Permission given by Gary

(Banner goes here when I get a new one that doesn't have Metagross in it)​

With ORAS over it's time to wash away the old and bring in the new! Welcome to the Sun & Moon Teambuilding competition thread! With that said it's time to explain the rules:

Rules:

1. Entry submission:
Post team in the thread itself with import and explanation in hide tags. Please, when you are submitting a team, try not to slash movesets / items in the importable. The finished product should be the build you are most confident in. It is fine to do minor set changes throughout the week, but if you want to give an option for one of your Pokemon, note it in the Explanation instead.

2. Disputes / Copying: Obviously, there is potential for disputes over copying or people making similar entries. In general, if your team entry has the same Pokémon and similar move sets to an earlier entry, it will be disqualified. If anyone tries to abuse this by reserving an early post in the thread for their entry, please bring it to my attention and they'll be disqualified. If you are caught doing this there is a high possibility you will not be allowed to post in the building stage for an indefinite amount of time.

3. Discussion and team changes: One part of the process is to have discussion about the teams and the core. While I'd like to keep this from being a speedy RMT thread, suggestions of improvements to entered teams are allowed. In the interests of fairness though, I'd ask that any suggestions don't involve anything more major than move set changes, and that if you've already submitted a team you won't change the Pokémon in it. Basically, just be sure that you're happy with the team before you send it in.

4. No bandwagoning: Please do a favor to me, and yourself, and don't post for whatever team where you recognize the name of the poster or if he has a shiny trophy or whatever. Vote for who you want to win, not who your friend wants you to vote for. I would appreciate it. Obviously it'll be hard to enforce this, but please use some common sense.

5. When voting, only vote for one team.

6. Make sure that the teams you post are for the core that I post.

7. Use this sprite converter instead of using party sprites http://fulllifegamer.bplaced.net/

Here is an example of the format you will be posting in this thread. Just for formality sake and because otherwise I may as well reject the team if it doesn't follow the format. Ok, here goes:

Alakazam-Mega @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Tapu Lele @ Shed Shell
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Calm Mind

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Rash Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sludge Wave

When I started making this team I decided that I would use stallbreaker Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam together because of their great synergy. Tapu lele and Alakazam have similar switch ins (things like Magearna and Amuk) so they do a great job of softening teams for each other. Alakazam is great against faster teams but suffers against bulkier teams where Lele is great against fat teams but is less usable against faster teams. Lele setting up psychic terrain is just icing on the cake. It felt like it would be easier to use these two together on a very aggressive team because otherwise you are somewhat pigeon holed into using things like Reuniclus Mew or Clefable to deal with Medicham which felt too susceptible to things like Celesteela and pursuit trappers in general.

Sash Garchomp lead was very popular a while ago and I think it's great at creating early pressure on a faster team like this. Koko was added to help deal with common switchins to Lele and Zam like Celesteela and to provide momentum. It is also a nice way of dealing with things like Greninja which can be nuisance to offensive teams. Offensive Celesteela was added as somewhat of a ground switchin, I went with earthquake so it would be able to take out things like Heatran and Koko after setting up. It tends to pair well with Garchomp as it's able to set up on most Landorus quite easily which is the most common Garchomp answer. It can also setup on things like Magearna, Scizor and Muk (among others) which are all common answers to Lele and Mega zam. Nihilego was added as a way to deal with Volcarona and the Zards as well as providing some extra speed control notably revenge killing Koko.

Replays are not required, but they are recommended to give people a good idea of how your team operates.

This should go without saying but please don't enter any "Joke Teams"
Working with Other people is allowed.

Last edited:

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
Hall of Fame

Round 1 - Tyranitar (Riddikulusness)

Round 2 - Mega Manectric (imsosorrylol)

Round 3 - Aurora Veil (Windgrace & Flyteofheart)

Round 4 - Kartana (yuruuu )

Round 5 - Mega Lopunny (tigers jaw & écarlate )

Round 6 - Mega Gallade (écarlate)

Round 7 - Mega Diancie (Hicron)

Round 8 - Mega Latias (ThiccTornadus)

Round 9 - Victini (suapah )

Round 10 - Mega Charizard X (Ohmboy Tesla )

Round 11 - Hawlucha (ThiccTornadus)

Round 12 - Nihilego (Baloor )

Round 13 - Mega Medicham (Ongoing)

Last edited:

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
Round 1:
Tyranitar has been coming back to its former glory, as Pursuit trapping is still lowkey broken is great in the current meta, and Tyranitar has a lot of valuable traits in its great offensive typing and great bulk backed up by Sand Stream. The goal for this round is to build a team with Tyranitar. You may also build with the newly released Mega Tyranitar. Building phase will end on Friday, June 9th at 6:00 PM EST/GMT-4. Good luck and have fun building!

Last edited:

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
hey Eclipse since M-Ttar just dropped can I build around that for this week? Or is this in a vacuum pre-release scenario, where we are appreciating regular tar? Just wondering since I'm building M-Tar either way, and well 2 birds.

Last edited:

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 40 SpA / 140 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam
- Fire blast

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

I decided to go with the old school concept of Support Tyranitar + Excadrill with this team because although sets like choice band are very cool I feel like it's already been explored and sand teams are heavily underestimated right now. Tyranitar obviously sets up sand which is great but it also has some nice defensive utility when it comes to stuff like Koko, Zard X and Volcarona. I'm using 40 special attack investment so that ice beam always kills Salamence after a turn of sand and it also helps with Zygarde and Lando slightly. This Tyranitar set also lures things like Landorus and Ferrothorn for Excadrill. Excadrill has very few reliable checks given setup opportunity with the new Z moves and this team seeks to abuse that.

MMawile seemed like a obvious option for a mega as Landorus is it's most common answer. With our lure Tyranitar set and Excadrill anything that pressures Landorus is great. It also has a great matchup vs stall without needing a z crystal as we are already using one. Next I went with AV Magnezone as it is able to trap things like Celesteela and Ferrothorn for Excadrill as well as taking hits from things like Lele and Koko. We still needed a ground switchin and something that can deal with Zygarde more reliably so scarf Landorus seemed like a good idea especially as it's checks are weakened by Excadrill already. It also forms a volt-turn core with Magnezone which only makes Mawile more dangerous. Rains teams and Zard y are fairly common right now and can really mess with a team that is reliant on weather like this. I also needed something better than Magnezone to help with Greninja and a decent Volcarona check as I am using a slower scarfer. So i decided to go with Toxapex as it is able to deal with these semi reliably. Toxapex is also great with intimidate pokemon like Landorus and Mawile as it allows you to outplay things like MSwampert and Mega Medicham that would otherwise kill it and again ground types are being taken out/weakened by the rest of the team which could mean that it simply wins by virtue of walling nearly everything else.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 28 SpD / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 32 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hidden Power [Electric] / Stone Edge
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

So this is a team that I built with a friend of mine, and he told me to post it because he doesn't have a Smogon account. We really wanted to make a team with CM Reuniclus, since we both feel it is an underutilized Pokémon in today's metagame. It is able to check threats like Medicham, Scarf Keldeo, Scarf Garchomp, and non-Dark Pulse Protean Gren. The Sp. Def investment allows Reuni to live 2 modest Moonblasts from Modest Tapu Lele. The speed outspeeds min-speed Toxapex so it can't Haze away your boosts. It is pretty hard to wear this down thanks to Magic Guard and is hard to break/handle after a boost or two. Band Tyranitar fits here to Pursuit trap some of the Pokémon that can annoy Reuniclus like Gengar, Heatran, and Hoopa. It also can easily break through many teams for Reuniclus to clean late game. SubToxic Tran is here to counter Scizor, which is a huge annoyance to the rest of my team. It also soft checks Lele and checks non-EQ Tang and Mawile. It also can avoid Sucker Punch mind games with Mega Mawile with sub. AV Tang checks stuff like Zygarde, Ash Gren, Koko, and soft checks Lele. Tang is on like all of my good teams at this point lol. Scarf Keldeo benefits heavily from TTar's Pursuit trapping. Keldeo also handles the Dark types Reuniclus hates. I prefer to run HP Electric since DD Gyarados is an issue, and TTar covers Volcarona decently already. If the team feels weak to Volcarona still then run Edge > HP Elec with a Hasty Nature and 31 Atk IVs. Finally, Rockium Z Lando is here for rocks and to annoy Stall. Overall I think the team is solid, but just a bit slow.

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Grassy Surge
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

just sand w/ volcanion as wallbreaker and help with celesteela and magearna and slowbro as a check to all fighting types. fire punch chosen as filler on ttar to pressure maw and sciz. pinsir + sand as the offensive part. fight z bulu instead of grass bc of more relevant targets - skarm, steela, magearna, ferro, and the like.

Last edited:

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 72 Def / 140 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance

Gyarados-Mega @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I started building the team around TTar band which is a great wallbreaker. I chose Tangrowth because it helps with Gren, Keldeo and a lot of things in the current meta. Then, I selected Lando to help with offensive threats such as Chomp and is the rock setter. Nowadays, Mew is one of my favourtite pokemons in the tier so I included it in the team because it helps a lot with Medi and physical attackers, and it is the defogger of the team. The next pokemon is MGyara, I chose it because I was looking for a water type and a sweeper so it was a great option, Sub DD to break stall. The last pokemon is Magnezone due to I had some problema with Ferro and I didn't have a steel type so I chjose it.

Ttar runs EQ to break Magearna on the switch. Lando is Flyuinium because of Tangrowth, the team was a bit weak to it so Flyinium was a pretty nice option. Mew's EV spread is Subject 18's EV spread.

Last edited:

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Serious Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Mew @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance

Timid Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

I started building the team around TTar band which is a great wallbreaker. I chose Tangrowth because it helps with Gren, Keldeo and a lot of things in the current meta. Then, I selected Lando to help with offensive threats such as Chomp and is the rock setter. Nowadays, Mew is one of my favourtite pokemons in the tier so I included it in the team because it helps a lot with Medi and physical attackers, and it is the defogger of the team. The next pokemon is MGyara, I chose it because I was looking for a water type and a sweeper so it was a great option, Sub DD to break stall. The last pokemon is Magnezone due to I had some problema with Ferro and I didn't have a steel type so I chjose it.

Ttar runs EQ to break Magearna on the switch. Lando is Flyuinium because of Tangrowth, the team was a bit weak to it so Flyinium was a pretty nice option. Mew's EV spread is Subject 18's EV spread.
I assume you meant Adamant nature on Tyranitar and a Jolly nature for Gyarados...?

Might as well add this TTar team that probably sucks ass (I built it, ofc it does) but I need a reason to get my post count up lol.

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Mew @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

I built the team around the core of Tyranitar and Volcarona - TTar traps Latios for non Bug Buzz Volcarona while Volcarona does it's thing (aka be the best sweeper in the tier) and checks Magearnas and Mawile that may annoy TTar. CB TTar is the only TTar. Volcarona is essentially standard because the things it runs other coverage for are covered by it's teammates (Bulu drops Pex and makes chomper and Zygarde hurt, TTar traps latis, etc.) - HP Ground for Heatran, Giga to set up on Fini. I chose Heatran as my rocker as I needed a Lele switchin if it clicked something other than Psychic as well as a secondary Magearna check. Mew was chosen as the Defogger because you run Defog/Spin with Volc, end of discussion, and Mew is probs the best there is. It also provides an incredibly useful switchin to MMedi, who would otherwise dumpster this squad, as well as checking a tonne of other mons because it's Mew, notably including non DPulse Greninja. I chose SD Tapu Bulu over what otherwise would have been AV Tangrowth because the stall matchup was terrible otherwise, but it still checks what it needs to, while it's Grassy Terrain also helps pretty drastically with the obvious ground weakness. SD Grassium, while it doesn't 6-0 stall as well as maybe SD Fightinium, does well enough to break the mons that need to be gone, and you shouldn't expect a mon to 6-0 stall anyways. Grassium also lets it lure Zapdos and Clef who would otherwise be annoying, as well as +2 Z-Wood Hammer just being nuts in general. Finally, I chose Garchomp as my Scarfer to help alleviate the otherwise shaky Volcarona and Zard Y matchup (watch out for HP Ice if you try switching in tho). Stone Edge is chosen to OHKO Volc through Charti, Fire Blast because Celesteela, Outrage and Earthquake because DClaw is weak af and EQ is mandatory on chomper. It is worth noting that you have to be good at the "Guess the Greninja" game, because otherwise you either lose the Zygarde check or you let AshGren get it's BBond, but you have ScarfChomp to check them both.

Yes, I know I have 2 Z move mons but ig you could run Charti over Z move on Volc if you really give a toss about making sure you only have 1 z move, but the playstyles that they'll be using their Z Moves vs are pretty different - Volc's not doing much vs stall while Bulu excels, while Volc shreds lots of common offense and Bulu's just meh. I chose Z move over Charti because Mega Zard Y can just go away, screw switching into that monster lol.

p2

Banned deucer.

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Smack Down
- Earthquake

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Extrasensory

Skarmory @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
fun screens koko ho

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
Building over, time to vote!

Team 1

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 40 SpA / 140 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam
- Fire blast

Excadrill @ Steelium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Fire Fang

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Toxic
- Haze

I decided to go with the old school concept of Support Tyranitar + Excadrill with this team because although sets like choice band are very cool I feel like it's already been explored and sand teams are heavily underestimated right now. Tyranitar obviously sets up sand which is great but it also has some nice defensive utility when it comes to stuff like Koko, Zard X and Volcarona. I'm using 40 special attack investment so that ice beam always kills Salamence after a turn of sand and it also helps with Zygarde and Lando slightly. This Tyranitar set also lures things like Landorus and Ferrothorn for Excadrill. Excadrill has very few reliable checks given setup opportunity with the new Z moves and this team seeks to abuse that.

MMawile seemed like a obvious option for a mega as Landorus is it's most common answer. With our lure Tyranitar set and Excadrill anything that pressures Landorus is great. It also has a great matchup vs stall without needing a z crystal as we are already using one. Next I went with AV Magnezone as it is able to trap things like Celesteela and Ferrothorn for Excadrill as well as taking hits from things like Lele and Koko. We still needed a ground switchin and something that can deal with Zygarde more reliably so scarf Landorus seemed like a good idea especially as it's checks are weakened by Excadrill already. It also forms a volt-turn core with Magnezone which only makes Mawile more dangerous. Rains teams and Zard y are fairly common right now and can really mess with a team that is reliant on weather like this. I also needed something better than Magnezone to help with Greninja and a decent Volcarona check as I am using a slower scarfer. So i decided to go with Toxapex as it is able to deal with these semi reliably. Toxapex is also great with intimidate pokemon like Landorus and Mawile as it allows you to outplay things like MSwampert and Mega Medicham that would otherwise kill it and again ground types are being taken out/weakened by the rest of the team which could mean that it simply wins by virtue of walling nearly everything else.

Team 2

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 28 SpD / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 32 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Magma Storm
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hidden Power [Electric] / Stone Edge
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

So this is a team that I built with a friend of mine, and he told me to post it because he doesn't have a Smogon account. We really wanted to make a team with CM Reuniclus, since we both feel it is an underutilized Pokémon in today's metagame. It is able to check threats like Medicham, Scarf Keldeo, Scarf Garchomp, and non-Dark Pulse Protean Gren. The Sp. Def investment allows Reuni to live 2 modest Moonblasts from Modest Tapu Lele. The speed outspeeds min-speed Toxapex so it can't Haze away your boosts. It is pretty hard to wear this down thanks to Magic Guard and is hard to break/handle after a boost or two. Band Tyranitar fits here to Pursuit trap some of the Pokémon that can annoy Reuniclus like Gengar, Heatran, and Hoopa. It also can easily break through many teams for Reuniclus to clean late game. SubToxic Tran is here to counter Scizor, which is a huge annoyance to the rest of my team. It also soft checks Lele and checks non-EQ Tang and Mawile. It also can avoid Sucker Punch mind games with Mega Mawile with sub. AV Tang checks stuff like Zygarde, Ash Gren, Koko, and soft checks Lele. Tang is on like all of my good teams at this point lol. Scarf Keldeo benefits heavily from TTar's Pursuit trapping. Keldeo also handles the Dark types Reuniclus hates. I prefer to run HP Electric since DD Gyarados is an issue, and TTar covers Volcarona decently already. If the team feels weak to Volcarona still then run Edge > HP Elec with a Hasty Nature and 31 Atk IVs. Finally, Rockium Z Lando is here for rocks and to annoy Stall. Overall I think the team is solid, but just a bit slow.

Team 3

Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch

Tapu Bulu @ Fightinium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leech Seed
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat

Slowbro @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Calm Mind

just sand w/ volcanion as wallbreaker and help with celesteela and magearna and slowbro as a check to all fighting types. fire punch chosen as filler on ttar to pressure maw and sciz. pinsir + sand as the offensive part. fight z bulu instead of grass bc of more relevant targets - skarm, steela, magearna, ferro, and the like.

Team 4

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

Mew @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Soft-Boiled
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Swords Dance

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Substitute

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Team 5

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Mew @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Psychic
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Veil
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

I built the team around the core of Tyranitar and Volcarona - TTar traps Latios for non Bug Buzz Volcarona while Volcarona does it's thing (aka be the best sweeper in the tier) and checks Magearnas and Mawile that may annoy TTar. CB TTar is the only TTar. Volcarona is essentially standard because the things it runs other coverage for are covered by it's teammates (Bulu drops Pex and makes chomper and Zygarde hurt, TTar traps latis, etc.) - HP Ground for Heatran, Giga to set up on Fini. I chose Heatran as my rocker as I needed a Lele switchin if it clicked something other than Psychic as well as a secondary Magearna check. Mew was chosen as the Defogger because you run Defog/Spin with Volc, end of discussion, and Mew is probs the best there is. It also provides an incredibly useful switchin to MMedi, who would otherwise dumpster this squad, as well as checking a tonne of other mons because it's Mew, notably including non DPulse Greninja. I chose SD Tapu Bulu over what otherwise would have been AV Tangrowth because the stall matchup was terrible otherwise, but it still checks what it needs to, while it's Grassy Terrain also helps pretty drastically with the obvious ground weakness. SD Grassium, while it doesn't 6-0 stall as well as maybe SD Fightinium, does well enough to break the mons that need to be gone, and you shouldn't expect a mon to 6-0 stall anyways. Grassium also lets it lure Zapdos and Clef who would otherwise be annoying, as well as +2 Z-Wood Hammer just being nuts in general. Finally, I chose Garchomp as my Scarfer to help alleviate the otherwise shaky Volcarona and Zard Y matchup (watch out for HP Ice if you try switching in tho). Stone Edge is chosen to OHKO Volc through Charti, Fire Blast because Celesteela, Outrage and Earthquake because DClaw is weak af and EQ is mandatory on chomper. It is worth noting that you have to be good at the "Guess the Greninja" game, because otherwise you either lose the Zygarde check or you let AshGren get it's BBond, but you have ScarfChomp to check them both.

Yes, I know I have 2 Z move mons but ig you could run Charti over Z move on Volc if you really give a toss about making sure you only have 1 z move, but the playstyles that they'll be using their Z Moves vs are pretty different - Volc's not doing much vs stall while Bulu excels, while Volc shreds lots of common offense and Bulu's just meh. I chose Z move over Charti because Mega Zard Y can just go away, screw switching into that monster lol.

Team 6

Tapu Koko @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Fire Punch
- Ice Punch

Zygarde @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Smack Down
- Earthquake

Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Extrasensory

Skarmory @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Brave Bird

Voting round ends on Monday, June 12th at 2:00 PM EST/GMT-4!

Last edited:
I like team 1 and it's fun to get some good sweeps with Excadrill, catching people off guard with the Z-Move. I do have a couple of issues with it though. Zygarde is a huge threat to the whole team it can tank hits from 5/6 mons on the team and in return ohko every mon except Landorus. I was also not a fan of the intimidate Mawile, for me hyper cutter is always the way to go. The team isn't bad at all, just has some holes that may need patching up.

I am voting for team 2. It is pretty solid and I don't have much to say about it.

On the 3rd team I was pleasantly surprised by how Volcanion performed. Overall not a bad team, but there are some glaring issues. I am not a huge fan of the sets that you chose for Excadrill and Tyranitar. I believe Tyranitar should have a Smooth Stone and Stealth Rocks, while Excadrill has Swords Dance and plays the role of a sweeper.

Team 4 would be my second choice. Deals with all play styles pretty well. Can handle stall as well as standard offence. Checks major metagame threats pretty dang well. Mew does feel like a dead weight and not having a Scarfer could be scary against most setup mons, maybe replacing it with Scarf Latios could be useful?

Team 5 was lots of fun to play with. Volcarona really carried its own weight and has great synergy with Tyranitar, who can deal with checks such as Latios. I switched Volcarona's item to Chari Berry, which I think was better in the end. Sand Veil Garchomp got a couple of misses that really helped in sticky situations.

Had fun with Team 6 too, even though it has a hard time dealing with Zygarde. Was able to play around it, but is a huge threat to the team. Duel screens Tapu Koko was actually very useful in the couple of games I played, which was a nice surprise.

Eclipse

is a Contributor Alumnus
Voting over, thanks everyone for their cool teams as always. The winner for this round is Riddikulusness with 6 votes, congrats!

Team 1 - 1
Team 2 - 6
Team 6 - 2

Round 2:

Pairing this with my Weekly Research round, Mega Manectric has proven to be a strong offensive threat due to its Speed tier paired with its great coverage. I've been struggling to make this thing work perfectly, so I want to see what great minds like you guys can come up with. The goal is to build with Mega Manectric for this round. The building round will end on June 16th at 6:00 PM EST/GMT-4. Good luck and have fun building!

Dharma

komorebi
is a Top Artist

Manectric-Mega @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Flamethrower

Magearna @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Solar Beam
- Hidden Power [Ice]

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide

This is a team that I sorta built before knowing that Mega Manectric was the mon for this week's Teambuilding Comp. It's based around offensive volt-turn with Mega Manectric, Landorus-T, and Ash-Greninja.
Mega Manectric does a good job of weakening faster mon with Volt Switch, while Flamethrower and HP Ice let it deal with Bulu, Ferrothorn, Chomp, and Zygarde respectively. Scarf Landorus-T is useful for revenge killing weakened mons, and ats as the ground immunity for the otherwise ground-weak team. Tangrowth serves as an excellent specially devensive pivot, with Knock Off for utility and HP Ice to prevent it from becoming set-up fodder for chomp and zygarde. Rock Slide prevents it from becoming set-up fodder for Volcarona. Heatran is the rock setter with Z-Bloom Doom to lure in its common switchins like Tapu Fini and Mega Slowbro. Specs Ash-gren is an excellent special wallbreaker and revenge killer, and can take advantage of mons weakened by Mega Manectric and Landorus-t. Magearna is the team's set-up sweeper, with Shuca Berry allowing it to set up on the likes of Landorus-t and Zygarde.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-590277935
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-590282364
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-590285114
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-590289412
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-590291301
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-590540409
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-590541434
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-590904588
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-590663829

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)