Resource SM Creative Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
v1 by Tressed
stolen by robopoke
flawless art done by myself

welcome to the creative & underrated sets thread, where memes are born and legends are slayed. if you have the balls to post in my thread, then you should know what the drill is by now. a creative or underrated set should be ideally be posted, but who the hell knows at this point. but seriously, if you have a creative or underrated set, then read the rules then post.

rules:
- if you don't have good replay(s), your post is getting deleted.
- do not critique someone just to end up advertising your own set.
- have a good reason for using something. double kick virizain is not a pokemon.
- your set must accomplish something relevant (example post).

happy posting!

Last edited:

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp --> Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Power-Up Punch
- Ice Punch

This is essentially the only way I use Mega Swampert now. It was good last generation but its even better now due to the instant speed which causes way more switches and opportunities to power up punch! The reason why i greatly enjoy this set because it throws players off and ruins ordinary counter play. Alot of times you see teams swapping around on pert stalling rain turns. This is such a common tactic that even on high ladder I found myself getting a few boosts due to opponents trying to rain stall. Swampert being so damn bulky also makes it so easy to click power up punch even if your opponent stays in like offense would often, which gets torn to shreds at +1 as well

Another reason why this is good is because with the popularity of assault vest tangrowth means at +1 Mega Swampert can do massive damage or even KO'ing it on the switchin to power up punch + ice punch if it has a little bit of prior damage and rocks up

+1 252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tangrowth: 248-292 (61.3 - 72.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Swampert-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 201-237 (57.1 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

That is why I enjoy this set because it decreases the amount of prior damage you need to break through and sweep. Also when it greatly weakens Ferrothorn, even if it dies it creates openings for other rain sweepers like Kingdra to sweep.

This is an example of someone trying to switch around with a bulkier team to deal with pert and it backfiring. Sorry for only one replay but I was waiting for a higher caliber opponent while I was laddering up
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-586971237
notice how I was able to completely get rid of the Fini creating openings for Kingdra and Ash Gren to clean up. That is essentially what you want to go for with this set as well as getting the sweep when possible

Last edited:
Double Dance Mew

Mew @ Mewnium Z
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rock Polish
- Nasty Plot
- Earth Power
- Psychic

Mew has great natural bulk and solid coverage in two moves. Because of Mews common Utility Set, you can take advantage of the common switch ins and setup accordingly. Against extremly theatenting offensive teams you can usually only get a Rock Polish but if you time it well (example setup on a predicted Defog) you can get enough boosts to win many games easily.

The EVs just maximize Mews offensive presence. Modest is used over Timid because of Rock Polish.

Earthpower is the coverage of choice because it heats Heatran, Magearna and Bisharp hard. Make sure you weaken common offensive switch ins first like Greninja, Special Hoopa-U before you attempt to sweep.

Mewnium Z can boost Psychic to 185 Base Power and the Psychic Terrain after the nuke helps preventing any priorities from stopping your sweep.

This Set is a dangerous wincon that will probably catch your opponent offguard. The surprise factor is definitely part of its success because it can give you free boosts but do not think this Mew is not a big deal just because you know it is offensive.

Replays:

Landorus-Therian @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Rest

A simple change to the regular defensive set, this Landorus exchanges chip damage in Rocky Helmet and momentum in U-Turn for it to be a better Banded or Coil Zygarde check. What makes Zygarde so threatening to Lando normally is that Zygarde just Toxics it on the switch, waits for Lando to be chipped down by Thousand Arrows, and then proceeds to become a massive threat as Landorus is usually the only Zyg check on a team. Rest is able to circumvent this to an extent, but it is not a perfect answer. This particular Lando should be run aside something that can live a hit and status it in return, and one partner in particular this works well with is Toxapex. This means Zygarde will constantly be chipped by status while you rest off all hits coming your way. This Landorus can also punish Rockium Z Landorus, as +1 CC doesn't kill after rocks, meaning you can rest off the damage and offensive Landorus suddenly has a much harder time dealing with you.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-588820925 This isn't the best example of the synergy with Toxapex, but you can already see that this Landorus stuck around for a lot longer than it normally would with Banded Zyg on the field and was able to clean up (with some small luck).

Overall, if you need a slightly more consistent Zyg check and don't like to use Tang, you might like Rest Lando.

Last edited:
Show yourself, mysterious Mr. L

Bulky Double L Dance Magearna

Magearna @ L
Ability: SouL-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 96 SpA / 16 SpD / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shift Gear
- CaLm Mind
- Ice Beam
- ThunderboLt

Today I want to share with you my currently favourite Magearna Set that puts in alot of work. Timid max Speed variants with Z-Moves has already seen tournament play and the general idea is to Calm Mind up on common Magearna switch-ins and potentially punish the opponent for scouting the Z-Move. I liked the idea and wondered myself, if a bulky variant with Leftovers can achieve similiar results. Less offensive presence but an easier time setting up.

While Timid max Speed ensures you outspeed everything up to Scarf Chomp, the increased usage of even faster Scarfers such as Latios, Keldeo, Greninja and Gengar is annoying. Also you still get outsped by Kingdra in Rain. This set focuses on bulk to Shift Gear twice if necesarry. 148 Speed is all you need to outspeed Mega Manectric at +2.
96+ Spa is a jump point and ensures that you will always oneshot offensive Zygarde and defensive Lando-T. It also gurantees that you oneshot Keldeo at +1 after Rocks.
The rest was put into HP and Spdef to abuse Lefties and Calm Mind boosts to the max.

Replays:
Sweeps:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-589751132
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-589759669 Lefties negating Burndamage makes revengekilling impossible for my opponent.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-589769693

Semi Sweeps:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-589760659
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-589764949 Apparently the crit on Tentacruel matters. Still being able to setup on Tank Chomp and not be in Water Shuriken range is nice.

Last edited:

Landorus-Therian @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Rest

A simple change to the regular defensive set, this Landorus exchanges chip damage in Rocky Helmet and momentum in U-Turn for it to be a better Banded or Coil Zygarde check. What makes Zygarde so threatening to Lando normally is that Zygarde just Toxics it on the switch, waits for Lando to be chipped down by Thousand Arrows, and then proceeds to become a massive threat as Landorus is usually the only Zyg check on a team. Rest is able to circumvent this to an extent, but it is not a perfect answer. This particular Lando should be run aside something that can live a hit and status it in return, and one partner in particular this works well with is Toxapex. This means Zygarde will constantly be chipped by status while you rest off all hits coming your way. This Landorus can also punish Rockium Z Landorus, as +1 CC doesn't kill after rocks, meaning you can rest off the damage and offensive Landorus suddenly has a much harder time dealing with you.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-588820925 This isn't the best example of the synergy with Toxapex, but you can already see that this Landorus stuck around for a lot longer than it normally would with Banded Zyg on the field and was able to clean up (with some small luck).

Overall, if you need a slightly more consistent Zyg check and don't like to use Tang, you might like Rest Lando.
Restolando is cool. I used a variant of it all the time in ORAS (dubbed 'round 2 lando'), he really is a great resto user since his job is just to pivot and eat, and this lets him pivot and eat even more. Haven't tried it out in SM cause the environment seemed too offensively hostile to allow for this, but as the meta settles sets like this become better.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Toxic Spikes
- Spikes

So dual spike gren is a dope idea that Hayburner and I came up with one day when we wanted a teammate for a teammate for keld, koko, maw, and dd zygarde. Toxic spikes are dope because it wears down shit like mew, tang, bulu for shit like keld and koko. Spikes are also cool because some teams just naturally have volt turn like koko + mag or mag + lando t. When together you really just wear down the opposing team especially since mew is the main defogger in the tier and you just dark pulse that. Ice beam just for coverage and I guess the rare defog zapdos. You can run extrasensory so it's harder for toxapex to soak up toxic spikes but I like the coverage ice beam gives. It's pretty niche but on the right team it's ridiculously good just because of how much some teams appreciate toxic spike support.

Last edited:

Braviary @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Frustration / Retaliate
- Superpower

Yes, a Brave Bird in OU. Hold your skepticism and read on.

All my teams were getting annoyed by Lando-Koko/Mane-Tangrowth cores. Braviary just happens to eat up all the intimidate that's going around right now, and after it gets the defiant boost, it beats most indtimate mons 1v1 thanks to its strength and bulk in some cases. Balance teams that rely on Tang+Lando as their physical checks get blown open. By running scarf, you're additionally able to revenge a lot of annoying junk like Koko, non-scarf Greninja, Gengar, DD Ttar, Xurkitree, and Mega Medi (avoid webs). Most of the time, you should just spam Brave Bird (or U-turn) since it pretty much 2HKOs the unresisted tier. Superpower is there mainly for ttar and tran. Retaliate also usable as a normal STAB choice for revenging common electrics from full, but most of the time Return is enough after some chip.

Bring something to beat Celes, Magearna and Zapdos and you'll have a good time.

+1 Buzzwole
+1 Heatran
+ 1 Xurkitree
Mega-Manectric
All Greninjas
+1 Mega Tyranitar
Tapu Koko
Serperior

Edit: HC staraptor does something quite different. Starpraptor has stronger stabs by default, but is shutdown more easily by lando. You could opt to run choice band, and do 50% with a -1 bravebird, but then you lose nearly all revenging power and instead are more of a wall breaker. Braviary is nice in that it both squeaks by some key speed tiers, ane also mitigates most of offense/balanced physical checks. Braviary is also itself less easily revenged. Most things don't want to take a BB off 120+ base attack from either bird. After a KO, it's very common and comfortable to send in Lando to a physical attack. You can't do this against braviary though.

P.S. also shown is Phys Def specs hoopa lmao. but that's for another time.
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hoopa-Unbound: 303-357 (83.2 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

Braviary @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Brave Bird
- Frustration / Retaliate
- Superpower

Yes, a Brave Bird in OU. Hold your skepticism and read on.

All my teams were getting annoyed by Lando-Koko/Mane-Tangrowth cores. Braviary just happens to eat up all the intimidate that's going around right now, and after it gets the defiant boost, it beats most indtimate mons 1v1 thanks to its strength and bulk in some cases. Balance teams that rely on Tang+Lando as their physical checks get blown open. By running scarf, you're additionally able to revenge a lot of annoying junk like Koko, non-scarf Greninja, Gengar, DD Ttar, Xurkitree, and Mega Medi (avoid webs). Most of the time, you should just spam Brave Bird (or U-turn) since it pretty much 2HKOs the unresisted tier. Superpower is there mainly for ttar and tran. Retaliate also usable as a normal STAB choice for revenging common electrics from full, but most of the time Return is enough after some chip.

Bring something to beat Celes, Magearna and Zapdos and you'll have a good time.

+1 Buzzwole
+1 Heatran
+ 1 Xurkitree
Mega-Manectric
All Greninjas
+1 Mega Tyranitar
Tapu Koko
Serperior

P.S. also shown is Phys Def specs hoopa lmao. but that's for another time.
252+ Atk Teravolt Kyurem-Black Freeze Shock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hoopa-Unbound: 303-357 (83.2 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
What does this do that Staraptor doesn't?

NG Spencer

Banned deucer.
Apologies for not including a replay in my previous post

Greninja @ Groundium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Dig
- Gunk Shot
- Spikes
- Ice Beam

A little different from the standard spikes greninja, rather than focusing on beating hazard removers with coverage, this set is meant to lure in magearna so a teammate can sweep. Max attack is used since ice beam doesn't need investment to ohko what it is supposed to. Z dig also has the benefit of hitting mons like heatran and toxapex who would otherwise wall this set.

252 Atk Protean Greninja Tectonic Rage (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 374-444 (103 - 122.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Protean Greninja Tectonic Rage (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex: 236-278 (77.6 - 91.4%)
252 Atk Protean Greninja Tectonic Rage (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 804-948 (208.8 - 246.2%)

252 Atk Protean Greninja Tectonic Rage (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 290-344 (95.3 - 113.1%)

Since pex runs spdef now decided to edit this, seems like this set got better considering how good pex is currently and how scarfgren is more common making it much easier to bluff.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-592940451

Last edited:

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Blizzard / Ice Beam

I was looking for a fourth move for Marowak-Alola. It attracts Lando-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp better than a chick magnet and realized it learned Ice Beam. My first reaction was wtf why does this thing learn Ice Beam. My second reaction was wtf Marowak learns Blizzard too and can actually OHKO non-helmet Lando-T assuming it hits. Blizzard gets the first slash ahead of Ice Beam because there’s no reason for Marowak to stay and take an Earthquake or Thousand Arrows so might as well go for the home run. As for the other set details, I chose Lightning Rod over Rock Head because this set was used on a team with Mantine and I wanted a switch in for incoming Thunderbolts. If Marowak gets a +1, all of the calculations below become OHKOs and Marowak can even OHKO Rocky Helmet Landorus-Therian.

Calcs for Blizzard
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 320-380 (100.3 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Blizzard vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 308-364 (86 - 101.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Blizzard vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 280-332 (78.2 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Calcs for Ice Beam
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 264-312 (82.7 - 97.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 252-300 (70.3 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 228-272 (63.6 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593930202

Last edited:

Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Blizzard / Ice Beam

I was looking for a fourth move for Marowak-Alola. It attracts Lando-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp better than a chick magnet and realized it learned Ice Beam. My first reaction was wtf why does this thing learn Ice Beam and then I tried it on the ladder. My second reaction was wtf Marowak learns Blizzard too and can actually OHKO non-helmet Lando-T assuming it hits. Blizzard gets the first slash ahead of Ice Beam because there’s no reason for Marowak to stay and take an Earthquake or Thousand Arrows so might as well go for the home run. As for the other set details, I chose Lightning Rod over Rock Head because this set was used on a team with Mantine and I wanted a switch in for incoming Thunderbolts.

Works OK as a lead, but I want to test it in Hail with Alolatails and Trick Room, too.

Calcs for Blizzard
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 320-380 (100.3 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Blizzard vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 308-364 (86 - 101.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Blizzard vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 280-332 (78.2 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Calcs for Ice Beam
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 264-312 (82.7 - 97.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 252-300 (70.3 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Marowak-Alola Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 228-272 (63.6 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Replays (More to Come?)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593870816
Aren't you better off still running adamant? What 2HKOs do u miss out on ?

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
If you are running Adamant, Wak's coverage moves are better than Ice Beam / Blizzard against Lando-T / Zygarde / Chomp and Ice Beam doesn't even 2HKO Lando-T with Ice Beam without EV investment.

volx757 - will test tonight to see if I can get that situation to work

Last edited:

Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Blizzard / Ice Beam

I was looking for a fourth move for Marowak-Alola. It attracts Lando-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp better than a chick magnet and realized it learned Ice Beam. My first reaction was wtf why does this thing learn Ice Beam. My second reaction was wtf Marowak learns Blizzard too and can actually OHKO non-helmet Lando-T assuming it hits. Blizzard gets the first slash ahead of Ice Beam because there’s no reason for Marowak to stay and take an Earthquake or Thousand Arrows so might as well go for the home run. As for the other set details, I chose Lightning Rod over Rock Head because this set was used on a team with Mantine and I wanted a switch in for incoming Thunderbolts.

Works OK as a lead, but I want to test it in Hail with Alolatails and Trick Room, too.

Calcs for Blizzard

Calcs for Ice Beam

Replays (More to Come?)

Do you encounter a situation often enough where you can get a lightning rod boost on switchin and then go for +1 ice beam instead of blizzard? +1 ice beam is a guaranteed KO on all lando, offensive chomp, and has a roll to OHKO zygarde.
Or is it still more worth it to take blizzard's power and not bank on SpAtk boosts?

Brave Nature
- Shadow Bone
- Flare Blitz
- Bonemerang
- Blizzard / Ice Beam

I was looking for a fourth move for Marowak-Alola. It attracts Lando-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp better than a chick magnet and realized it learned Ice Beam. My first reaction was wtf why does this thing learn Ice Beam. My second reaction was wtf Marowak learns Blizzard too and can actually OHKO non-helmet Lando-T assuming it hits. Blizzard gets the first slash ahead of Ice Beam because there’s no reason for Marowak to stay and take an Earthquake or Thousand Arrows so might as well go for the home run. As for the other set details, I chose Lightning Rod over Rock Head because this set was used on a team with Mantine and I wanted a switch in for incoming Thunderbolts. If Marowak gets a +1, all of the calculations below become OHKOs and Marowak can even OHKO Rocky Helmet Landorus-Therian.

Calcs for Blizzard

Calcs for Ice Beam

Replays - More Coming!

Since you are running Lightning Rod, wouldn't it be better to rely on the Special Attack boosts instead? It allows Marowak to get some bulk (as since you are running Brave, Speed is counter-producing)

232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SpA guarantees an OHKO on defensive Landorus-T with a +1 Blizzard after Rocks. 144 SpA EVs are needed to OHKO non-defensive Landorus-T with an unboosted Blizzard (again, after Rocks).
104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 SpA does the same as the first spread, except with +1 Ice Beam if you want to get reliability.

Last edited:

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Trick Room

So, this set might seem standard at first glance but I actually wasn’t using this on a full Trick Room team and I definitely think it’s underrated after how consistently it put in work for me.

Reliable counterplay to offensive Lando is really hard to come by and I figured P2 with its ridiculously high defense and Trace copying Intimidate would be a solid check to it, which it definitely is. To put things into perspective, even if Lando goes for SD on the switch, +1 Supersonic Skystrike doesn’t even come close to one-shotting (it does 83% max if adamant) while P2’s uninvested Ice Beam always one-shots offensive Lando in return.

With this physical bulk P2 blanket checks plenty of other physical attackers as well, like Banded Zygarde, Chomp etc. and it also has enough special bulk to check stuff like Protean Greninja, (16SpDef EVs ensure LO Pump doesn’t 2HKO). Speaking of Protean, tracing this can turn P2 into an even bigger nuisance for offensive teams.

BoltBeam coverage is obviously pretty solid and Porygon still has 105 base Special Attack, which is still decent. Despite that there are still mons that can take advantage of it and use it as setup fodder, which is the main reason I run Trick Room on this set, since pretty much any attempt at offensive setup gets cut short by Trick Room.

To fully take advantage of this, partners like A-Marowak, M-Heracross or M-Mawile are recommended for their ability to run through teams while Trick Room is up and their solid defensive synergy with P2 (fighting immunity/knock off resist). Fini is also a great partner since Misty Terrain blocks Toxic, which P2 hates to take.

If that doesn’t convince you that P2 is legit, feel free to check out these replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593675655 (P2 walls Lando and essentially sweeps late game)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594383644 (P2 walls Banded Zygarde and trick rooms on a DD MTar, which basically decides the game)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593955113 (not the best played game from both ends but it showcases how bulky P2 is really well)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594285686 (P2 takes 47% from Chomp’s Devastating Drake and wins the game)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594710900 (P2 makes the safe after I fuck up early game)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594301760 (Late game TR coming in clutch)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593955113 (^)

Last edited:

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Trick Room

So, this set might seem standard at first glance but I actually wasn’t using this on a full Trick Room team and I definitely think it’s underrated after how consistently it put in work for me.

Reliable counterplay to offensive Lando is really hard to come by and I figured P2 with its ridiculously high defense and Trace copying Intimidate would be a solid check to it, which it definitely is. To put things into perspective, even if Lando goes for SD on the switch, +1 Supersonic Skystrike doesn’t even come close to one-shotting (it does 83% max if adamant) while P2’s uninvested Ice Beam always one-shots offensive Lando in return.

With this physical bulk P2 blanket checks plenty of other physical attackers as well, like Banded Zygarde, Chomp etc. and it also has enough special bulk to check stuff like Protean Greninja, (16SpDef EVs ensure LO Pump doesn’t 2HKO). Speaking of Protean, tracing this can turn P2 into an even bigger nuisance for offensive teams.

BoltBeam coverage is obviously pretty solid and Porygon still has 105 base Special Attack, which is still decent. Despite that there are still mons that can take advantage of it and use it as setup fodder, which is the main reason I run Trick Room on this set, since pretty much any attempt at offensive setup gets cut short by Trick Room.

To fully take advantage of this, partners like A-Marowak, M-Heracross or M-Mawile are recommended for their ability to run through teams while Trick Room is up and their solid defensive synergy with P2 (fighting immunity/knock off resist). Fini is also a great partner since Misty Terrain blocks Toxic, which P2 hates to take.

If that doesn’t convince you that P2 is legit, feel free to check out these replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593675655 (P2 walls Lando and essentially sweeps late game)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594383644 (P2 walls Banded Zygarde and trick rooms on a DD MTar, which basically decides the game)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593955113 (not the best played game from both ends but it showcases how bulky P2 is really well)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594285686 (P2 takes 47% from Chomp’s Devastating Drake and wins the game)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594710900 (P2 makes the safe after I fuck up early game)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-594301760 (Late game TR coming in clutch)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-593955113 (^)
I used to use a similar set on my TR teams and I agree that P2 is underrated. I prefer download over trace though since it can actually sweep teams with a Special Attack boost. Don't remember if I invested EVs to bolster offense though, unfortunately.

In any case, yeah good set.

I used to use a similar set on my TR teams and I agree that P2 is underrated. I prefer download over trace though since it can actually sweep teams with a Special Attack boost. Don't remember if I invested EVs to bolster offense though, unfortunately.

In any case, yeah good set.
If you want to take a more offensive approach with P2, then yeah, download is definetely the better ability. I'm not sure how well an offensive variant would work outside of full trick room teams though, haven't really tried this out yet.

However, one of the main reasons I was using P2 is to have (pretty) reliable counterplay to offensive Lando and without Trace copying the Initmidate P2 isn't really able to do that since +2 Skystrike has 68% chance to one-shot from full.

Spdef Camerupt

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 224 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

I was looking for a Magearna switchin that can get up Stealth Rocks without being super passive like Chansey. Gladly, PS has this very good feature:
/ds resists fairy, resists electric, stealth rock, !uber, !lc

This gave me 6 mons, from which all except Camerupt are weak to Focus Blast or Ice Beam.

28 Speed is to outspeed minspeed AV Tang, 8 Spa ensure you always oneshot max HP Heatran with Earthpower without any prior damage and the rest was to increase Camerupts bulk. While Mega Camerupt is bulkier, Camerupt can have Leftovers, which are very good to take weak hits and Solid Rock is key to avoid some OHKOs or 2HKOs.

Camerupt is a very consistent user of Stealth Rock because it beats many Defoggers like Skarmory, Mew, Zapdos and Mega Scizor. Dugtrio can never safely switchin because of the potential Lava Plum burn. Even if it manages to come in safely, Dugtrio needs some chip on Camerupt or otherwise has to waste his Z-Crystal.

Camerupt is also an incredibly good switch-in to dangerous Electric mons like Mega Mane, Zapdos and Koko.

8 SpA Camerupt Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 388-460 (100.7 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
8 SpA Camerupt Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 132-156 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Camerupt: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Camerupt: 60-71 (17.4 - 20.6%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Camerupt: 274-324 (79.8 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Camerupt: 270-319 (78.7 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
32+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Solid Rock Camerupt: 121-144 (35.2 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Spdef Camerupt

Camerupt @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 224 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

I was looking for a Magearna switchin that can get up Stealth Rocks without being super passive like Chansey. Gladly, PS has this very good feature:
/ds resists fairy, resists electric, stealth rock, !uber, !lc

This gave me 6 mons, from which all except Camerupt are weak to Focus Blast or Ice Beam.

28 Speed is to outspeed minspeed AV Tang, 8 Spa ensure you always oneshot max HP Heatran with Earthpower without any prior damage and the rest was to increase Camerupts bulk. While Mega Camerupt is bulkier, Camerupt can have Leftovers, which are very good to take weak hits and Solid Rock is key to avoid some OHKOs or 2HKOs.

Camerupt is a very consistent user of Stealth Rock because it beats many Defoggers like Skarmory, Mew, Zapdos and Mega Scizor. Dugtrio can never safely switchin because of the potential Lava Plum burn. Even if it manages to come in safely, Dugtrio needs some chip on Camerupt or otherwise has to waste his Z-Crystal.

Camerupt is also an incredibly good switch-in to dangerous Electric mons like Mega Mane, Zapdos and Koko.

8 SpA Camerupt Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 388-460 (100.7 - 119.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
8 SpA Camerupt Lava Plume vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Tangrowth: 132-156 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO

0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Camerupt: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Manectric-Mega Hidden Power Ice vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Camerupt: 60-71 (17.4 - 20.6%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Dugtrio Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Camerupt: 274-324 (79.8 - 94.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Solid Rock Camerupt: 270-319 (78.7 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
32+ SpA Heatran Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 224+ SpD Solid Rock Camerupt: 121-144 (35.2 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

I like that someone found a use for such a rare mon, but what are your thoughts on mega camerupt instead? More bulk and pretty powerful attacks at the cost of lefties and its already useless speed tier.

And mega slot, obviously.

Last edited:
I like that someone found a use for such a rare mon, but what are your thoughts on mega camerupt instead? More bulk and pretty powerful attacks at the cost of lefties and its already useless speed tier.

And mega slot, obviously.
The post already gives you the answer.

While Mega Camerupt is bulkier, Camerupt can have Leftovers, which are very good to take weak hits and Solid Rock is key to avoid some OHKOs or 2HKOs.
I suppose that Mega Camerupt could be used on a more offensive team or with Trick Room.

Hi everyone, today I'm sharing with you a set I made a few months ago : the fast support Zapdos but I call it the BlastDos.

Here is the beast :
zapdos.gif

Zapdos @ Expert Belt
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Def / 56 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch / Discharge
- Defog
- Roost

I made this set during the Type Restricttion Tour IV, where I tought that Landorus would be in all the teams, so this is why this Zapdos can outspeed jolly landorus and OHKO the offensive one.

56 SpA Expert Belt Zapdos Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 322-379 (100.9 - 118.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This Zapdos has defensive utility too, like being able to defog on a Pinsir-M at +2.

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 248 HP / 20 Def Zapdos: 254-299 (66.3 - 78%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

I felt like Volt switch was a bit underrated on Zapdos especially in SM OU which combined with HP Ice can gave you the momentum very easily. Like for example against a Scizor, he will fear the heat wave, you'll just have to volt switch.

However, depending on your team you can replace Volt Switch by Discharge or Thunderbolt, that works too.

252 SpA Choice Specs Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 255-300 (66.5 - 78.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Volcarona Inferno Overdrive (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 339-400 (88.5 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos in Sun: 343-405 (89.5 - 105.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 20 Def Zapdos: 163-192 (42.5 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 248 HP / 20 Def Zapdos in Grassy Terrain: 169-200 (44.1 - 52.2%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 20 Def Zapdos: 306-360 (79.8 - 93.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 20 Def Zapdos: 310-366 (80.9 - 95.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ SpA Magearna Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 352-416 (91.9 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

+1 252 SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Zapdos: 348-409 (90.8 - 106.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Yeah I only played this once and it doesn't really show his efficiency but trust me and try it !

Furthermore Ben Gay seemed to had the same set of Zapdos yesterday look at Turn 20 : https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ou-297330

Put a Dugtrio with this Zapdos and GG !

Thanks for reading !

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)