Battle Spot Skip and Co.: A Battle Spot Singles Rain Team

Long time lurker, first time poster! I took a bit of a break from Battle Spot after Sun and Moon were released, but now that my favorite Mega Evolutions is available again I decided to give it another go. This is the team I’ve been using. I’ve had some moderate success, but it has quite a few shortcomings. I was hoping for some feedback. No need to sugarcoat!

Skip (Swampert) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Mega Swampert is an excellent rain sweeper. With max speed investment, it outpaces neutral-natured base 100’s in the rain, allowing it to tear through many sweepers and slower Choice Scarf users. Its typing and natural bulk allow it to take a strong hit or two before going down. With the mechanics changes Sun and Moon brought, it no longer has to run Protect to guarantee itself a Swift Swim boost without compromising its bulk. Even if the weather is changed, it’ll still go first if the rain was up, putting opposing weather setters at risk.

I’m well aware of Swampert’s shortcomings. There’s the obvious Grass weakness. In the rain, the neutral damage it takes from boosted Water-type attacks can sneak up on it, putting it at risk against faster rain sweepers and bulky Water-types. It struggles with common walls and tanks, such as Ferrothorn, Cresselia, Rotom-W and Mega Venusaur. Weather other than rain neuters it, especially sun, which nullifies Swift Swim and weakens Waterfall.

Many matches boil down to weakening its checks and counters to a point where it can sweep comfortably. Moving forward, I’d like to continue building this team with Mega Swampert in mind.

Pell-Piper (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Roost

I’m change this up and use Pelipper's more offensively oriented Focus Sash set with a Modest nature. Its bulk isn’t good enough to run defensively, and I’ve found myself wanting for a stronger Hurricane to handle Grass-types repeatedly.

Additionally, Mega Charizard Y threatens Pelipper, as Pelipper’s special defense is subpar. This can make weather wars difficult to win.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Dazzling Gleam
- Taunt
- U-turn

Gigavolt Havoc off of Thunder allows Tapu Koko to fire off a powerful, boosted Electric-type attack once without having to rely on rain for perfect accuracy. Electric Terrain preventing sleep makes things like Breloom, Hippowdon and Mega Venusaur easier to deal with.

Macadamia (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

In the right circumstances, Ferrothorn is nearly impossible to knock out. It gives opposing Grass and Water-types headaches, which is duly appreciated. Stealth Rock secures many KO’s and victories I wouldn’t have attained otherwise.

I’ve feel as though I rely on Ferrothorn too much defensively. In many cases, against Pokémon like Charizard, Blaziken or Salamence carrying a Fire-type move, Ferrothorn can’t afford to take a hit, and it can’t switch into one of its teammates without putting them at risk. I’d like to know how I can modify this team to better accommodate Ferrothorn’s weaknesses, and on the off chance I replace it, I’d at least like to have a Stealth Rock setter that synergizes well with the rest of the team.

Sockhead (Mimikyu) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Disguise
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Shadow Sneak
- Swords Dance

I love Mimikyu for its ability to handle sweepers that have already set up. Originally, Mimikyu held a Life Orb for extra power. It now holds a Lum Berry in order to stomach status and deal with Hypnosis Mega Gengar, which, provided Hypnosis connects, threatens the rest of my team. I was considering giving it a Focus Sash for survivability’s sake, but now that Pelipper will be holding one that isn’t an option anymore.

Mimikyu is solid, but if there’s anything that would work better for the team than recommend it by all means!

Mothra (Volcarona) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Quiver Dance

The last slot was originally occupied by Assault Vest Tornadus. It was to provide a means to take special attacks and deal with Grass-types. Its redundancy became apparent quickly; Pelipper’s Drizzle would be required to ensure Hurricane would hit. I never brought Tornadus to a single match.

Volcarona is an amazing special sweeper. I love having a quick and easy way to fry Ferrothorn and Kartana, and Bug Buzz’s ability to hit through Substitute is also very useful. Volcarona’s survivability will take a hit when Pelipper gets the Focus Sash, and having two Pokémon that’re weak to Stealth Rock makes it difficult to use as is. Volcarona’s place on the team is the most suspect. I need to replace it with something that can handle Ferrothorn and offer my team some defensive utility.

-

Once again, I know this team is flawed! That’s why I’m asking for feedback. Recommendations for a secondary Mega are particularly appreciated, as well as a means, perhaps, to handle the rare but pesky Evasion abusers. Thanks to everyone who replies in advance!

Hi dude, welcome to smogon :)

Nice team, though as you said i'd add too a secondary mega.

Mega Lucario might work pretty well in the Rain, and with those partners. Specially with Pelipper, Mimikyu and Koko.
Since you already have a physical mega, i'd use a specially offensive Lucario, such as:
@ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Aura Sphere / Focus Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Vacuum Wave / Hidden Power Rock

Hidden Power Rock would be mainly for Charizard Y, also helping your team to win the weather wars. Though having a priority is a pretty good tool.
With this in the team you wouldn't be forced to use Volcarona in Rain to hit Kartana, Ferrothorn and Tapu Bulu, hitting all of them with SE damage and most likely OHKOing them.

Assuming this, you could easily switch out Volcarona for this secondary Mega.

With Lucario in the team, Ferrothorn's typing would be kind of redundant now. Maybe you could try Tapu Bulu, to keep the Grass-typing and mitigate some of your weaknesses in Grass-, Ground- and Fighting-type. With it i'd also change Koko with a Thundurus-T, otherwise you'll end up having too many Fairies (gaining another handy ground immunity and a nice electric immunity)
@ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt / Thunder
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch

I'd use this set since you already have a setup sweeper, and this can apply pressure to your opponent while the rain is up.

@ Grassium Z / Rockium Z / Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance / Leech Seed / Rock Tomb
- Wood Hammer
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Grassium Z can hit extremely hard in its terrain, especially if you manage to get a sword dance. ROckium Z would be for Charizard and Salamence.
Otherwise you could go with CB, but having two choice users could be tricky.

I hope this is going to help you. Also if you are willing to know a little more about the meta, try to visit the battle spot room on showdown :) You'll get help even in there!

Thank you so much! These all sound like fantastic options.

I have slight reservations about Bulu, but the health restoration and Grass resist offer enough benefits that Swampert's weakened Earthquake doesn't seem like a huge deal. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Thank you so much! These all sound like fantastic options.

I have slight reservations about Bulu, but the health restoration and Grass resist offer enough benefits that Swampert's weakened Earthquake doesn't seem like a huge deal. Thanks again for the suggestions!
You are definitely right about that, though i think you'd be good with Lucario and Thund! :D
Try them keeping Ferrothorn, then give us a shout here or in the rmt room / battle spot room and we'll try to find a better 6th

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I like rain teams like this, they're pretty straightforward and work pretty consistently. I mostly just have a couple of moveset suggestions.

Z-Thunder seems like such an attractive option when you're running a rain team, but I think it's kind of a newbie pitfall. When you find yourself in the few situations where you aren't bringing the rain core, you're relying on 70% accuracy when not using the Z version, and 50% when Zard Y come in and changes the weather. Z-Thunder is also only 10 bp more than Z-Thunderbolt, so I think you should consider using Thunderbolt on Koko.

Ice Beam on Pelipper would be so good but the four current moves on it are totally fine. If anything, you could drop Roost for it, or even Scald, since rain teams don't really need the extra water move so bad.

I would personally use SpDef Ferrothorn on this team since you already have bulky Pelipper, this also gives you a more reliable Lele/Fini/Serperior check.

Now I know I trashed Thunder, but I think you should also consider Hurricane on Volcarona. This gives you another way of handling Mega Venusaur (which threatens the team pretty heavily), you can also use Flyinium Z on Volc as well but I think keeping Sash on it and changing from Flame Body to Swarm would be best. This makes Volcarona usable against water-types that aren't Fini/Primarina because you would most often be brought down to your Sash (especially in rain) so you can fire off a Swarm Bug Buzz. Z Hurricane also does a number on these guys too so that's why it's a cool option as well.

Other than that I think the team should work decently!

I like rain teams like this, they're pretty straightforward and work pretty consistently. I mostly just have a couple of moveset suggestions.

Z-Thunder seems like such an attractive option when you're running a rain team, but I think it's kind of a newbie pitfall. When you find yourself in the few situations where you aren't bringing the rain core, you're relying on 70% accuracy when not using the Z version, and 50% when Zard Y come in and changes the weather. Z-Thunder is also only 10 bp more than Z-Thunderbolt, so I think you should consider using Thunderbolt on Koko.

Ice Beam on Pelipper would be so good but the four current moves on it are totally fine. If anything, you could drop Roost for it, or even Scald, since rain teams don't really need the extra water move so bad.

I would personally use SpDef Ferrothorn on this team since you already have bulky Pelipper, this also gives you a more reliable Lele/Fini/Serperior check.

Now I know I trashed Thunder, but I think you should also consider Hurricane on Volcarona. This gives you another way of handling Mega Venusaur (which threatens the team pretty heavily), you can also use Flyinium Z on Volc as well but I think keeping Sash on it and changing from Flame Body to Swarm would be best. This makes Volcarona usable against water-types that aren't Fini/Primarina because you would most often be brought down to your Sash (especially in rain) so you can fire off a Swarm Bug Buzz. Z Hurricane also does a number on these guys too so that's why it's a cool option as well.

Other than that I think the team should work decently!
Thank you for the recommendations! I'm sorry for not having replied earlier; I've been very busy as of late.

I've been using a less bulky Pelipper with Focus Sash with success. It sets up rain, takes a guaranteed hit and U-Turns out in order to allow something stronger to come in and handle things. It's been running Surf, Hurricane and Ice Beam in the event that it needs to hold its own, which, if its Sash is up, it's surprisingly capable of doing.

The Specially Defensive Ferrothorn is a really good idea. I've been struggling to find things that take special hits consistently. In ORAS I'd use the Specially Defensive Talonflame set to deal with Grass-types and Mega Charizard Y, amongst other things, but that isn't doable anymore since Gale Wings was nerfed.

As the team I've made has changed considerably since making this post, I'd need to go back to using the original bulky Pelipper set I used to use. I highly value the Focus Sash set's efficiency. Considering Battle Spot's fast pace, would you recommend a bulky Pelipper, or the frailer, more offensive Focus Sash reliant one?

Lastly, Swarm Volcarona sounds exquisite. I'd absolutely love to use one; it's just a matter of finding one with its hidden ability and breeding it in Gen VI, since I'd want to run it with Giga Drain. It sounds like a hassle, but a worthwhile one nonetheless.

Thanks again! Any continued feedback is appreciated, too!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)