Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
why can't mega rayquaza use z-moves :(
I don't think that this is the place to post that, with Ubers having banned it and all, but to answer your question, I don't think anything would survive the hit. That'd be pretty f---ing OP. Oh, and a DD boost means that I REALLY don't think much is living it.

why can't mega rayquaza use z-moves :(
I don't think that this is the place to post that, with Ubers having banned it and all, but to answer your question, I don't think anything would survive the hit. That'd be pretty f---ing OP. Oh, and a DD boost means that I REALLY don't think much is living it.
I think that user was talking about the mechanics regarding Mega Rayquaza.

To answer the question, if I'm not mistaken, a Rayquaza holding a matching Z-Crystal can't Mega Evolve. In the cart, it would only get the option of triggering a Z-Move without the possibility of Mega Evolving, and once used the Z-Move it would still be unable to Mega Evolve, since there is only a button available at a time. Either you can use a Z-Move or you can Mega Evolve. Not both.

So, you can't make a Mega Rayquaza use a Z-Move (thank goodness!), but you can't fire a Z-Move and immediately Mega Evolve that Rayquaza either.

Is Marshadium Z at all viable without Bulk Up (I'm thinking of using Rock Tomb instead)? Or does Marshadow just not have enough power without it?

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
Is Marshadium Z at all viable without Bulk Up (I'm thinking of using Rock Tomb instead)? Or does Marshadow just not have enough power without it?
Depends on the team, but in most situations Marshadow can't OHKO things with its Z-move without a boost.

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
what's the best marshadow set rn? and who is the best stall breaker?
Depends on your team but it was my understanding that the commonly used sets are:
-Banded with sneak/cc/thief/ice punch
-Life Orb with sneak/cc/thief/hp ice (or rock tomb)
-Marshadium Z with sneak/cc/thief/bulk up

The best stall breakers right now would probably bd the trappers (Gothitelle or Mega Gengar) but a lot of stall teams are running either Tyranitar or Alolan Muk now so you have to be careful running either of them.

On the other hand if you want a plain old mixed stallbreaker, Rayquaza is a good option.

Chickenpie2

red:active
is a Contributor Alumnus
Im not sure if this applies to all megas or other tiers, but for megas like blaziken and mewtwo, there are no sets available for them on smogon, and subsequently no sets in the damage calculators either. Are these still being worked out, or just completely neglected?

Im not sure if this applies to all megas or other tiers, but for megas like blaziken and mewtwo, there are no sets available for them on smogon, and subsequently no sets in the damage calculators either. Are these still being worked out, or just completely neglected?
I don't think anyone's written anything for Blaziken. There's a Mewtwo write-up in the analyses subforum that had been left untouched for weeks until last night, but I imagine that'll be up soon.

Has zekroms role changed from oras in s/m? Is it destined to be unviable Pokemon.

Also I like solgaleo, where does it's role fit and what type team archetype uses it. It doesn't look super offensive to me. Atleat lunala can act like a wall once opponents ghost/dark types are dead.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Has zekroms role changed from oras in s/m? Is it destined to be unviable Pokemon.

Also I like solgaleo, where does it's role fit and what type team archetype uses it. It doesn't look super offensive to me. Atleat lunala can act like a wall once opponents ghost/dark types are dead.

Zekrom right now is in C+ on the VR, as is Solgaleo I believe. Zekrom hasn't really changed from the standard Hone Claws set but now notably uses Draconium Z with Outrage for that one-time sweet, sweet nuke. It notably lets it take care of Primal Groudon and Groundceus:
+1 252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Groudon-Primal: 373-441 (92.5 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Ground: 484-570 (127 - 149.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'm not certain what the support set EV spread is so I calced max hp / max def and bold nature and it's still doing a ton:
+1 252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arceus-Ground: 360-424 (81 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Don't use Scarf Zekrom - it's not fast enough, it's not very powerful and it's way too easy to exploit its STABs as both have common immunities.

As for Solgaleo, it's a tank that's a Xerneas check. It notably has reliable recovery, uncommon for Xerneas checks. It's also great against Sticky Web with FMB. However, imo it's not very good and is worthy of that C+ ranking. It massively struggles with most offensive threats because right now, Steel/Fairy isn't that great a defensive typing to have. There are ground and ghost types everywhere - Groundceus, Marshadow, Lunala, Pdon, etc. Oh, and Xerneas can win:

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Solgaleo: 246-290 (51.5 - 60.7%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Sunsteel Strike is a guaranteed 2hko but Xerneas is faster. I prefer Mega Scizor on teams that need a Xerneas check.

There are 2 sets on the site: Sp. Def and Offensive Utility. However, I'd like to remark that Offensive Utility is a terrible set and should never be used. It barely checks Xerneas at all with the Sp Def as it is, and then you give that up and what do you get? A mon without a very good niche, imo. Being a steel that can't check Xerneas just sucks.

On a final note, does anyone happen to know the standard support spread for Groundceus?

Zekrom right now is in C+ on the VR, as is Solgaleo I believe. Zekrom hasn't really changed from the standard Hone Claws set but now notably uses Draconium Z with Outrage for that one-time sweet, sweet nuke. It notably lets it take care of Primal Groudon and Groundceus:
+1 252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Groudon-Primal: 373-441 (92.5 - 109.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Arceus-Ground: 484-570 (127 - 149.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'm not certain what the support set EV spread is so I calced max hp / max def and bold nature and it's still doing a ton:
+1 252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Devastating Drake (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arceus-Ground: 360-424 (81 - 95.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Don't use Scarf Zekrom - it's not fast enough, it's not very powerful and it's way too easy to exploit its STABs as both have common immunities.

As for Solgaleo, it's a tank that's a Xerneas check. It notably has reliable recovery, uncommon for Xerneas checks. It's also great against Sticky Web with FMB. However, imo it's not very good and is worthy of that C+ ranking. It massively struggles with most offensive threats because right now, Steel/Fairy isn't that great a defensive typing to have. There are ground and ghost types everywhere - Groundceus, Marshadow, Lunala, Pdon, etc. Oh, and Xerneas can win:

+2 252+ SpA Xerneas Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Solgaleo: 246-290 (51.5 - 60.7%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Sunsteel Strike is a guaranteed 2hko but Xerneas is faster. I prefer Mega Scizor on teams that need a Xerneas check.

There are 2 sets on the site: Sp. Def and Offensive Utility. However, I'd like to remark that Offensive Utility is a terrible set and should never be used. It barely checks Xerneas at all with the Sp Def as it is, and then you give that up and what do you get? A mon without a very good niche, imo. Being a steel that can't check Xerneas just sucks.

On a final note, does anyone happen to know the standard support spread for Groundceus?
I personally use 176 HP 140 Def 192 Spe Timid, but you can run less speed for more bulk

damn that sucks, you think the new form in us/um will help solgaleo become a better counter to xerneas. i imagine it might be faster as well, since pretty much all legendary form changes increase bst by 100.

damn that sucks, you think the new form in us/um will help solgaleo become a better counter to xerneas. i imagine it might be faster as well, since pretty much all legendary form changes increase bst by 100.
We won't know until the games will be released. We can't say for sure what kind of changes there will be in the US/UM game, so there is no point in theorimoning in such obscure territory.

For now, in the S/M metagame, Solgaleo is a quite shaky check.

Why is Knock Off used on Yveltal now? It seemed to be considered useless in gen 6 because orbs, plates, mega stones and Griseous Orbs were immune to it, and now we can add Z-crystals to that list. Not to mention that good targets in the Lati twins are now unviable. Is it just the Sucker Punch nerf?

Last edited:
Why is Knock Off used on Yveltal now? It seemed to be considered useless in gen 6 because orbs, plates, mega stones and Griseous Orbs were immune to it, and now we can add Z-crystals to that list. Not to mention that good targets in the Lati twins are now unviable. Is it just the Sucker Punch nerf?
more reliable, plus it's good against stall

You're right. Knock off is garbage move on Yveltal. You should use Heat Wave, Taunt, or U-Turn in that slot.

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
Pretty sure its to deal good damage to specially bulky mons that take very little from dark pulse or oblivion wing, for example Ho-Oh. Sucker punch does the same thing but sometimes those specially bulky mons have status moves that are more reliable to use for example toxic on Ho-oh

I'm not entirely sure if this question qualifies to be here, but I'll go ahead and ask anyways.

I feel like Ubers has been my main, competitive format for a bit--I enjoy it immensely--as it's extremely enjoyable and satisfying to me. But, unfortunately, due to my busy schedule with work, I don't have time to scour the many threads to find an Ubers Tournament that's still valid to sign-up for.

Is there a general area that I should monitor daily for Ubers tournaments? Better yet, a schedule for future events so I don't have to worry about missing anything(as I sadly did with the latest one)?

Second question while I'm here. Is there some sort of "Mythical & Legendary League" that's being conducted through this site? A league with mythics and some legendaries would be an interesting league to be a part of, I'd think.

kilometerman

Banned deucer.
I'm not entirely sure if this question qualifies to be here, but I'll go ahead and ask anyways.

I feel like Ubers has been my main, competitive format for a bit--I enjoy it immensely--as it's extremely enjoyable and satisfying to me. But, unfortunately, due to my busy schedule with work, I don't have time to scour the many threads to find an Ubers Tournament that's still valid to sign-up for.

Is there a general area that I should monitor daily for Ubers tournaments? Better yet, a schedule for future events so I don't have to worry about missing anything(as I sadly did with the latest one)?

Second question while I'm here. Is there some sort of "Mythical & Legendary League" that's being conducted through this site? A league with mythics and some legendaries would be an interesting league to be a part of, I'd think.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/circuit-tournaments.351/
http://www.smogon.com/forums/forums/ubers.390/

click the "watch forum" button on both of these pages and you'll get notifications whenever a new thread is posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)