Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers: OM Edition

I was reading the list of commonly submitted OMs that got rejected as I was looking at submitting an om (later found a few more requirements I don’t meet yet), And was wondering why the budgetmons concept was rejected?

I was reading the list of commonly submitted OMs that got rejected as I was looking at submitting an om (later found a few more requirements I don’t meet yet), And was wondering why the budgetmons concept was rejected?
Err i dont know what budgetmons is but it would help more if u ask chloe or TI directly as no one else can really answer that

If it helps i know in addition to the rejected list, oms that are boring/complicated/nickname based or are similar to an already existing om usually get rejected

First of all, I genuinely thank you for actually reading the requirements beforehand, which a surprisingly large amount of people neglect to do.

The reason budgetmons was not accepted before was that after the OM's original creation, there was a competing simulator called PokeBattle that had a budgetmons-like meta as its primary format, and leadership didn't want to infringe on that. PokeBattle has been dead for a while, so I'm not really sure if that reasoning still stands, but I guess there's a general sense that that concept has been "played out."

Err i dont know what budgetmons is but it would help more if u ask chloe or TI directly as no one else can really answer that

If it helps i know in addition to the rejected list, oms that are boring/complicated/nickname based or are similar to an already existing om usually get rejected
Lots of other people read submissions and your post did not really contribute anything (as none of those classifications apply to budgetmons, which you could have figured out if you looked at the post in question, which describes it)

edit: I realize this last bit came off a little harsh, so I'm sorry about that. It's good that you tried to provide helpful information; it just did not end up providing any substance.

First of all, I genuinely thank you for actually reading the requirements beforehand, which a surprisingly large amount of people neglect to do.

The reason budgetmons was not accepted before was that after the OM's original creation, there was a competing simulator called PokeBattle that had a budgetmons-like meta as its primary format, and leadership didn't want to infringe on that. PokeBattle has been dead for a while, so I'm not really sure if that reasoning still stands, but I guess there's a general sense that that concept has been "played out."

Lots of other people read submissions and your post did not really contribute anything (as none of those classifications apply to budgetmons, which you could have figured out if you looked at the post in question, which describes it)
Oh my bad sorry, i didnt know it was in the commonly rejected list i thought its an om he submitted and it got rejected. Ill look around first before answering stuff i dont know

K thanks for the help. the budgetmon concept had a few relatable notes to the one I’m thinking of submitting, so wanted to check the reasoning prior to submitting to avoid wasting people’s time.

Oh

Bad question-

How do I get to the OM workshop? I’ve looked all over the Om page…

Edit- Mods please just pin it…

Hi, I mainly play OM or Doubles/VGC and it occurred to me that formats such as AAA, Stabmons or Mix n Mega could have really fun and chaotic doubles counterparts - has this been brought up before? Is it a logistically stupid idea? I just think it'd work well, especially for the aforementioned metas.

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hello!

Yes, doubles OMs have been brought up before. The issue is that doubles of already existing permaladders don't get many plays (we had BH doubles before and it didn't get a lot of plays) so if you wanna try to find someone who can play and find a server where you can play it, then sure that's fine. We just don't have doubles on the main server because they're generally unpopular - That's also why Mix and Mega Doubles didn't ever win OMoTM, but sure you can still nom doubles versions of current permaladders in OMoTM noms.

Have a nice day! Also in the future, try to avoid creating a new thread without approval - I think this belongs in the Simple Questions Simple Answers thread? That isn't my place to interfere though, haha.

Last edited:
Hey, I was about to post on the Metagame Workshop thread when I read the rules for posting and realized the tier idea I was going to submit was in the rejected metagames list.
My metagame idea is to remove all luck 'hax' factors.
In the rejected metagames they have it under "Everything Else" as the metagame name Consistensy Mons, a nice name if you ask me.

I don't want to argue about why luck should or should not be in the game. Instead I want to have the tier available to play so we can find out.
If this is an idea that just gets insulted and thrown to the curb (like the last time I tried a few years ago) that's okay.

Now I am wondering if instead of someone else making this for me, is there any way I could code the rules for this tier myself and somehow have it implemented on showdown?
I love Pokemon so much and I love playing Pokemon Showdown with the rules Smogon has created. I would really love to play a tier with no luck factors; I have been waiting for years. Thanks.

Ren

i swore lips were made for lies
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I was about to post on the Metagame Workshop thread when I read the rules for posting and realized the tier idea I was going to submit was in the rejected metagames list.
My metagame idea is to remove all luck 'hax' factors.
In the rejected metagames they have it under "Everything Else" as the metagame name Consistensy Mons, a nice name if you ask me.

I don't want to argue about why luck should or should not be in the game. Instead I want to have the tier available to play so we can find out.
If this is an idea that just gets insulted and thrown to the curb (like the last time I tried a few years ago) that's okay.

Now I am wondering if instead of someone else making this for me, is there any way I could code the rules for this tier myself and somehow have it implemented on showdown?
I love Pokemon so much and I love playing Pokemon Showdown with the rules Smogon has created. I would really love to play a tier with no luck factors; I have been waiting for years. Thanks.
You can't have it implemented on the main server, but you can ask the owner of a side server to implement the code for you, code it for you themselves, or you can create a side server and code in the metagame there.

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion
I was looking under the rejected metagame ideas and I was wondering why chessmons had been rejected
Chessmons: Mixed Tier teambuilding based on chess pieces.

This isn't how other metagames work. By solely allowing the playing of certain Pokémon, or restricting usable Pokémon to such a large extent, you are not creating an OM.
An OM makes broad changes off a consistent rule (Or small set of rules) with the accommodation for oddities generally being limited to banning things. eg Slaking and Regigigas are extremely powerful if allowed to have non-negative Abilities, and are thus usually banned in metas which would, by their own rules, provide them non-negative Abilities. They are not granted special accommodation to remain legal by virtue of being exempted from the OM's rules. (ie AAA doesn't keep them legal while denying them the core gimmick of the meta -it just bans them)

The short version is an OM can usually be summarized accurately and completely in a single sentence, or at least a single paragraph.
I'm wondering why it's listed twice (as Chessmons, and as Pokémon Chess)
Different variants of Chessmons have been submitted under multiple names. I believe the duplicate is unintentional, but it is irrelevant regardless.

charizard8888

Catch The Wave
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
What happened with OM submission subforum? is it permanently closed?
The OM Submission subforums is where mainly all new Other Metagames and Pet Mods (ideas) are submitted to seek approval to become an official meta (Official in the sense the recognition and not necessarily being a permanent OM. Besides these OMs tours, OMs projects, and (almost) everything which needs a new thread in the OM forums are firstly submitted there to gain approval.
The OM leaders and other members in the Submission team have access to the subforum so it apears closed/disabled to the regular users but in fact it is open. They can only see their own submission threads in the subforum.
Check this out for more info: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/rules-general-information.3587440/post-7104234

=====
Got ninja'd
Though it shows I posted 10 mins later :/

Can a metagame use unreleased items? I would think no given what happened in MnM, but just want to make sure (if it matters, it's the "Gems")

Can a metagame use unreleased items? I would think no given what happened in MnM, but just want to make sure (if it matters, it's the "Gems")
OMs change a single mechanic such as: the first two moves are Linked, or provide a general rule such: Pokémon can use (Almost) Any Ability. Everything else is completely according to the game, including things that are unreleased.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)