Silly Things You Have Seen On The Doubles Ladder!

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Approved by Joim

U SO NUB

Herro everyone! As you may have already noticed if you play Doubles, it's more popular than ever (But not as popular as OU)! Of course, because of the popularity of it, there are a heck of a lot of noobs on it too (You know who you are). In this thread you can find and post the silliest, craziest, most insane ideas ever to come out of the human brain, but only if you see them on the ladder first! This thread is basically the Doubles version of the OU Version of the "Silly Things You Have Seen On The Ubers Ladder!" thread. Take a look at the OU version here, and the original here, because I feel like they're awesome threads and deserve more views than the 20,000 they already have apiece :]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Before we begin, let's go over some ground rules, as much as every single person on the internet hates them with the white-hot passion of ten thousand suns.

1) Don't post if it's a niche. Don't hate on niche Pokemon, because they have feelings too. If you run into Specs Jellicent, think about it. In TR and Rain support, this guy can wreck with Specs Water Spouts firing off of a respectable 85 Special Attack. Specs Jellicent is a niche. However if you see a Piplup, that isn't a niche, that's a horrible idea. Haxorus is a niche, Axew isn't. If it's a niche or viable set in the Smogon Analysis, don't post it.

2) Don't post excessively. Found something 5 minutes after your first post? Good. Do not double post about what you just found. There's this magical thing called the edit button for this purpose; you should use it. If you really want to post something, wait for another person or two to post.

3) Post things that make your statement legit. Logs are good, Screenshots are better, and Replays are god-tier. The more of these you have, the more legit it will seem, and the more we will laugh at that silly thing you just found.
3.14) Describe what you saw. You don't have to do this, but we'd much rather hear about what you thought the opponent was thinking instead of just: "This happened. Lol." Put some insight into your posts that make the thing you're mocking even funnier.

4) Do not trash other players. With the above being said, if you do find a nub, don't humiliate them. This is the silly things you've seen thread not the silly people you've seen. Besides, they probably didn't know better. If you have a log, try and delete their name. There's no stopping you from keeping their name in, but you should edit it out anyway. Also humiliating people is what Firebot is for.

5) Don't even think about saying that you or someone else (besides the person who you played against ofc) was using the stupid set, even if you/they were. Haven't we learned from /birkal? It's not funny anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With the introduction out of the way, go ahead and post!

Example post: I just saw a Darmanitan on the Doubles ladder. I thought to myself: "Okay, this is normal." It proceeded to use Belly Drum, which is when I was saying to myself: "What. At least it has a good attack stat." Then it activated Zen Mode, and that was just turn 1.

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I knew this thread was going to come up at some point...

Also, I will be infracting for posts about legitimate gimmicks (Terracott, Skill Swap Slaking, Pledges, etc). Take a hint from the photo thread in Cong, and DON'T

REALLY, DO NOT

On a related note...

I ran into someone using FLCL's infamous AssistCat team in doubles a couple of days ago (with a new alt). Needless to say the strategy doesn't work in doubles: you can just keep double-attacking Liepard until it dies, because it can only shuffle one opponent out per turn. I asked my opponent what he was doing and he said he was "trying to win with it in every tier". Apparently it had reached 1800 in OU...

Now that this thread exists I will start saving these battles. Time for some reverse laddering!

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, I don't have any replays of this, but I faced the same guy twice using a Beedrill and a Ninetales without drought, needless to say, the match was really difficult for me ;).

Pikachuun

the entire waruda machine
Remember, this does cover the VGC ladders as well (Technically it is a doubles ladder), so any niches from VGC are niches here :]

Stratos

Banned deucer.
It's not that divecats works well, because it doesn't, it's that it's hilarious to see how high you can get on the ladder with it

anyways

Was anyone here itc the time I lost to the guy who led with a scarf ninetales and a volbeat spamming confuse ray? (volbeat also had sunny day). I almost popped every blood vessel in my body at the same time :<

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Dive/Fly/DigCats is a niche/gimmick from VGC and shouldn't be posted.
I'm sorry, please explain to me how using this tactic (which cannot even select its target) isn't doomed for failure for the most part (at least TerraCott can actually work if you don't play like a dumbass). At least in VGC there are only 4 mons as opposed to 6.

I'm sorry, please explain to me how using this tactic (which cannot even select its target) isn't doomed for failure for the most part (at least TerraCott can actually work if you don't play like a dumbass). At least in VGC there are only 4 mons as opposed to 6.
Liepard+Purrloin with Prankster and Lagging Tail, followed by Smeargle and any Pokemon with Fly/Dive/Dig/Shadow Force access, then just spam Assist. You'll use Assist first, then won't attack til the very end. Basic invincibility.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Liepard+Purrloin with Prankster and Lagging Tail, followed by Smeargle and any Pokemon with Fly/Dive/Dig/Shadow Force access, then just spam Assist. You'll use Assist first, then won't attack til the very end. Basic invincibility.
Punchshroom's point is that with the abundance of protect (seriously on every mon), priority (k not amazingly common, but its there), and weather in doubles this strategy will generally be ineffective. I think we all understand the thought process behind dive cats, but it isn't all that great in practice (especially in doubles).

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wasn't on the ladder technically but I was playin in an 8 man dubs tourney on oriserver and one of my opponents was using a CM Espeon and a Pursuit TTar

I ran into a person using a swagger + own tempo set up.

...using Delcatty and Purugly. I will admit, though. It managed to take out a Pokemon or two of mine before I even realized what was going on.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Saw a Ditto on the ladder... WITHOUT Imposter.

Sadly my replay isn't working, but I'll sum up the match:

Turn 1:
Tornadus used Taunt
Ditto was affected by the Taunt
Ditto cannot use Transform due to Taunt's effect

Turn 2:
Tornadus used Acrobactics
Foe's non-Ditto Pokemon was KOed
My other Pokemon used Protect
Ditto used Struggle

I was going to leave Ditto for last, but then at this point my opponent ragequit.
The rest of his team was Pikachu, Tranquill and the first stage evolution Unova starters

I've also faced Dive Assist Cats that weren't holding Lagging Tail. And they

Some kid unintentionally exploited a Pokemon Showdown bug and managed to use an Arceus against me

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/smogondoubles-56416445

I was a little bit scared at first until I realised he was using Swords Dance to boost the power of his Draco Meteor, and backing it up with the metagame-defining threats of Jigglypuff and Facade Cresselia.

Poor kid didn't even know that he was cheating. Not that it helped him very much.

Last edited:

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm a doubles newbie and started playing Smogon doubles like 2 days ago and is it normal to encounter opponents that don't have a single protect user on their team? I frequently encounter teams without a protect user, can that be considered silly? I figured coming in to doubles that I would have to expect protect spam.

I'm a doubles newbie and started playing Smogon doubles like 2 days ago and is it normal to encounter opponents that don't have a single protect user on their team? I frequently encounter teams without a protect user, can that be considered silly? I figured coming in to doubles that I would have to expect protect spam.
It's silly, but not silly enough for this thread. While Protect is a great move, there are some successful teams out there that just go for extreme offensive pressure turn one and would prefer the extra slots for attacking - Makolicious is 12th on PS with a team without Protect, that has four choice users or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)