Shuckle

It's a shame Shuckle doesn't get any stat-dropping move to abuse Perversity XD

Perversity Close Combat would have been a bit... annoying against non-Ghosts :P

Sadly, Shuckle needs the pressure band boost, which increases the residual damage of trapping moves. Also, Power Share actually allows you to do something after Accupressuring up to +6. Also, Shuckle has Sturdy, which now does something. Shuckle also gets Encore, which is very necessary to prevent it from being stat up bait. But with taunt it is anyway :(

Poor shuckle. It can keep the wobbuffet and Luvdisc (the list is growing!) company in Below Never Used.

Of course, what are the Pokémon who Taunt him going to do after they use Taunt? You could just switch out. Could you? Plus, there is always the chance that the foe will forget to recast Taunt after the three turns are up, giving you the chance to use Power Share.

So what if it is shut down by Taunt? If you have SR and a bit of Spikes thrown on your opponent's side, Shuckle forces switches like noone else, and whether it is taunted or not it will have done its job, which is racking up TONS of residual damae on your opponent without taking much damage itself.

Just look :

Turn 1 :
Opponents switched in taunter. Taunter takes spikes and SR damage.
Shuckle used Power Share. Taunter's offensive power is now useless.

Turn 2 :
Taunter uses Taunt.
Shucle uses Wrap. If Taunter has no recovery, Taunter dies.

If the Wrap is over, and the Taunter is still alive, just use Power Share on the predicted switch-in, and start all over again. With this scenaio, which is going to happen most of the time, Schucle takes almost no damage, but inflicts an insane amount of residual damage. Even better with Sandstorm.

You forgot pretty much the only thing Shuckle is meant for - ungimmicky stalling.

Name: The Classic
Shuckle @ Leftovers
Perversity, Impish
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
-Encore
-Rest
-Toxic/Rock Slide
-Protect/Knock Off/Power Share

Just like 4th gen shuckle, but with Perversity and Power Share slashed in over Knock Off and Protect. Toxic is Shuckle's only way of doing some damage, but there's always Rock Slide if you decide to use Power Share. Encore plays a big part of this set. If you bring it out early game and Shuckle encores an SE attack, you could set up someone with type synergy with Shuckle. Rest is Shuckle's only recovery. Use in sandstorm, or not at all.

tl;dr: Use shuckle how you did last gen.

Now that we have that out of the way, 2 gimmick sets.

Name: Rock Polish
Shuckle @ Leftovers
Sturdy, Jolly
252 Spe / 252 Def / 4 HP
-Rock Polish
-Power Trick
-Rock Slide/Stone Edge
-Earthquake/Rest/Encore

The goal of this set is to get Shuckle to a good 357 speed, which outruns neutral base 115s and +natured base 110s, and an insanse 559 Attack, and then attempting a sweep lategame. You will do this by Rock Polishing 3 times, which should be easy, especially in a sandstorm. Then, Power Trick, ONLY when it's safe. That's the biggest problem of this set: Getting a safe Power Trick. That's why Encore is slashed in over Earthquake and Rest. EdgeQuake for coverage; best used in sandstorm.

tl;dr: Rock Polish, Power Trick, sweep. Good luck.

Name: Rock Polish v2
Shuckle @ Leftovers
Perversity, Relaxed
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Atk
-Rock Polish
-Gyro Ball
-Power Share/Power Trick
-Rest

When using Perversity, Rock Polish is -2 speed, instead. Shuckle will hardly notice the speed drop - but it makes Gyro Ball hurt more than all of his other attacks when at +6. It still won't hurt very much, especially to something that resists it, so Power Share is used to increase Shuckle's attack from 58 to hopefully at least 100 (get owned, ononokusu). Power Trick can be used for a quick Explosion-like OHKO, but it is not recommended because you are slower than anything at -6 and almost any physical attack will KO. Rest for obvious reasons. Use a 0 IV in speed, and a 0 IV in atk and spatk with Power Share (which you should be using.) Sandstorm recommended.

tl;dr: Rock Polish, Power Share, Gyro Ball, Rest at low health. Good luck.

This is my first post here at Smogon, sorry if it seems like a wall of text or tl;dr. =D

Sadly, Shuckle needs the pressure band boost, which increases the residual damage of trapping moves. Also, Power Share actually allows you to do something after Accupressuring up to +6. Also, Shuckle has Sturdy, which now does something. Shuckle also gets Encore, which is very necessary to prevent it from being stat up bait. But with taunt it is anyway :(

Poor shuckle. It can keep the wobbuffet and Luvdisc (the list is growing!) company in Below Never Used.
What?!!

Anyway, the boost in trapping moves helps Shuckle a bit, but he still remains the same.

Ah, I remember good old Shuckle back in ye olde days of the third generation.

You know what I used to use back when Shuckle didn't have cool things like a Sp. Def boost, Knock Off, Power Share, Rock Polish and Power Trick? Bide.

I think it was Bide, Encore, Rest and a filler (Wrap or Sand Tomb would work best here, but iirc the move I used at the time was Substitute, and I alternated between that and Toxic/Sandstorm), and it honestly did a surprising amount of damage (but maybe it was also because i was using a joke team with Ditto and Luvdisc so they underestimated his sheer bulk), but now that Shuckle actually has a reliable trapping move, Bide could actually be mildly effective.

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I think I've found out that the best use for Perversity Shuckle is to be an all-out counter to Skymin. Seriously, just come in on its Seed Flare and 80% of the time your Special Defense is raised 2 stages. Air Slash won't be doing shit to you after that, and he won't want to spam Earth Power because that has a 20% chance of raising your Special Defense yet another stage. Encore the SubSeeder, or if it's not a SubSeeder, just Toxic the thing, making it very difficult for him to keep chain flinching.

lol it's not the greatest use, but hell, that's the only way I can really think of abusing Perversity.

Perversity helps with anything that has a chance to lower you're stats, like crunch. Also screws level ground users up, and since nothing raises opponents stats, there doesn't seem to be a downside.

Perversity helps with anything that has a chance to lower you're stats, like crunch. Also screws level ground users up, and since nothing raises opponents stats, there doesn't seem to be a downside.
Swagger. Shuckle has to watch out for those Swagger users tripping up his physical sweeps.

Also, there's a similar one for SpA, don't remember what it was called, but I do know it's gender specific like Attract.

Swagger. Shuckle has to watch out for those Swagger users tripping up his physical sweeps.

Also, there's a similar one for SpA, don't remember what it was called, but I do know it's gender specific like Attract.
^I almost fell off my chair at that.

Also, its called flatter.

But yeah, since shuckle doesn't really need stury, go with perversity. stopping shaymin is a plus. Also, you can Power Share him, which will really annoy him, and then trap him in with Wrap, which will annoy him even more, especially if he has life orb.

An old gimmick set from gen IV,

Shuckle@Leftovers
Impish/Gluttony
252Atk/252HP/4SpDef
-Acupressure
-Rock Slide
-Rest
-Power Trick

Worked really well in NU, and even had some success in OU. Once you have +6 attack and defence changing them doesn't make you frail and with +6 evasion it wouldn't matter anyway.

Now he's got Power Share it's hard to justify such a silly set.

Shuckle@Leftovers
Impish/Gluttony
252Atk/252HP/4SpDef
-Acupressure
-Rock Slide
-Rest
-Power Trick
My friend uses a set just like this pretty often, and I just use it to set-up a sweep. I 6-0'd him with Lapras one time because he decided he was going to acupressure into oblivion. His defenses can get quite ridiculous, and those sharp evasion boosts can be a nightmare, but 50% of the time (attack,sp att, and accuracy) it's completely worthless and if you're using a single pure att or spatt sweeper against it, it's more like 2/3rds worthless. Because stats raises work off percentages, even if you get +6 attack and power trick, your defenses still suck and you're ridiculously slow. If I were going to use Power Trick, I'd do it in a trick room, but it's still risky because if you power trick before they move, you are epically screwed. TR, on a spec sweeper that doesnt have psycho shock, maybe in a sandstorm?, after using encore? lol. Sturdy could actually come in handy here. You won't be murdered when you Power Trick, but then somebody with priority will finish the job.

It would take some epic set-up, but doubles would be the place for this, where you can power trick with shuckle and TR with your other pokemon, then do epic things with Rock Slide and EQ and pray no one has priority, or just use the priority protect move with your other pokemon, if a decent TRer even can learn it. lol and then name him Gimmicking.

TR Power Share could actually be pretty cool. PS before they attack you, effectively halving their attack before they've done so, then spam rock slide. STAB with mediocre attack and 30% flinch chance (and now you aren't slow!). Problem is TR ends pretty quickly, but this would actually be a decent gimmick in doubles (again lol). 30% flinch on both pokemon is do-able, maybe use water absorb slowking/bro to curtail surf spam and keep TR up while sweeping in between. It could work lol. Guard share on a normal doubles team isn't so bad either, he's so slow he'll use it last, then he can switch next turn.

With the Sand Tomb sets, why not use Knock Down? Still works under taunt, and you ensure all pokemon can get caught in it. Matter of fact, Sand Tomb still works under taunt, correct? If you get taunt first turn, use it to knock down and then trap them. Taunt will wear off soon and then you can continue to be annoying. Might want encore to ensure you don't get taunted again. Then if you do Power Share you have a STAB attack that is kind of weak, but could set up EQ spammage. Gravity support could work too I guess.

I want to note that Shuckle's HP is so low that the new Wish mechanics benefit him quite well. He'll get all his HP back no matter who uses it basically. Also, another dumb gimmick, but if ditto were to transform into him he'd be a shuckle with about 50 more hp. Except you have 5 pp for all your moves lol.

I'm not sure whether this is a good set or not:

Shuckle @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Perversity
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Power Share
- Rock Slide
- Toxic

I managed to defeat a Salamence with this set, though XD

The list is luvdisc, spinda, farfetch'd and ledian.

No idea where you got wobbufet from, it got BANNED

Anyway, I've had problems using the special trapper set. They often switch to a physical attacker when suckle comes out.

The list is luvdisc, spinda, farfetch'd and ledian.

No idea where you got wobbufet from, it got BANNED

Anyway, I've had problems using the special trapper set. They often switch to a physical attacker when suckle comes out.
I wouldn't bother using a specially based Shuckle anyway, the implied Sandstorm boost is usually enough SpD, no?

Why didn't this guy get Shell Break? Sturdy Shuckle could try to sweep, and Perversity Shuckle could become an even better wall!

So it seems the main thing about Perversity is that it's a nice bonus if your opponent uses stat lowering moves, and in some situations it helps make Shuckle harder to kill. Boosting sweepers are a worry, but at least you have Encore (which did get nerfed unfortunately).

Also, imagine the potential of Perversity in multi battles. Your stat lowering attacks get double utility in either disrupting your opponent, or boosting Shuckle.

Now if only Shuckle got Superpower...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)