Shiny Pokemon Experiences

Ever found a shiny Pokemon

• Total voters
I usually make it a tradition that on every Pokemon playthrough I do, I have to catch a shiny early on and use it until I beat the game (In Pokemon Sun it was a shiny Yungoos/Gumshoos named Caesar). It takes a while to get the shiny, especially because I have very low-level pokemon, but I find that it is worth it.

One of my favourite shiny encounters I have ever has was in Pokemon Omega Ruby, where I got a shiny Zangoose and a shiny Seviper in the same horde. I debated for so long about which one to get, until I finally decided to get the shiny Seviper (I named it Shnake, don't ask)

EDIT: It was surprisingly easy to save the Zangoose from the Sevipers, because I had a team built for the job.

Some time ago I decied to hunt for shiny Ho-oh. I simply love his shiny sprite, it´s my second favourite shiny (after shiny Latias - which I have). As I don´t have Omega ruby, just alpha sapphire, I needed to restart my Heart Gold game. I sped through the game. When I got to the point where I battled Ho-oh, I decided to KO it, as I knew he respawn after I beat the league. I didn´t want my Ho-oh in master ball (which I intended to use as last resort), and my team was quite weak. Not to mention my selection of pokeballs was also rather limited. So I beat him and proceeded to finish the Johto part of the game. And here I made a mistake: I didn´t talk to Elm before finishing the league, which means I skipped the master ball event. Yay me!

So after beating the league (and realizing what mistake I made), I proceeded to make preparations. First on the list was synchronizer. It took quite a lot of eggs to get that freaking adamant Natu, but I managed. Then there were pokeballs. As I didn´t have Master ball (thanks to my own stupidity), I needed the best ones. So I bought 30 Dusk balls (they are the most effective ones at night time). My inventory consisted of 30 Dusk balls, 7 Ultra balls, 5 Heavy balls, 3 Moon balls and 2 Friend and Level balls. Next was to train my pokemon. I knew I needed to put Ho-oh to sleep, if I want any chance of catching, so I chose Noctowl - he is quite bulky and has hypnosis. My team when finished consisted of level 53 Noctowl, level 50 Quagsire, level 43 Ampharos, level 30 Gyarados (the shiny one) and level 1 Natu. The sixth slot was empty so I coud check my Ho-oh immediatelly. With those preparations done, I climbed the Bell tower. The Kimono girls were gone (thankfully, as one thing I don´t like in HGSS is that the Kimono girls are summoning the legendary pokemon), but Ho-oh was there. Ok, pokeballs - check. Synchronize adamant Natu in the first slot - check. Game saved - double check. Let´s go!

Well, I didn´t know that Ho-oh would be such a troll. In the few test captures I did it was either a very close call or I didn´t catch him at all. But I was persistent, hoping against all odds when the bird finally shines I will manage to catch him. It took a very long time, but yesterday it finally happened. Shiny Ho-oh! And it was nighttime, which means Dusk balls would be effective! My heart was racing. My level 1 Natu was of course useless, so I decided to throw a Moon ball. Ho-oh breaks free, kills Natu, I send out Noctowl and proceed to weaken him. Well, first part was ok. I threw a Moon ball, Ho-oh immedeatelly broke free. Ho-oh used Sunny day! Ok, time to waste another ball, this time Dusk ball. I threw it. It shook once. Twice. Thrice. Ding! Ho oh was caught. I was like "Are you kidding me???" It was an incredible luck. I skipped his dex intro and checked his nature. Modest. Welp... I like my pokemon to be good competetively, so I was little dissapointed. Then I checked Ho-oh´s special attack stat. 110. Well, no Sacred fire, but I can work with this. Checked his moveset. So, he has acces to Earth power, Ancient power, Psychic, Calm mind... yep, I can definitely work with this.

I decided to spice up this Ho-oh even more by giving him every available gen 4, 5, 6 and 7 Ribbons. It will be a long journey, but we can do it! Now Ho-oh is training in Slowpoke well his HP stat. Tough I still can´t belive my luck with his capture.

Oh, and about that Latias? Another cool (but shorter, I promise :-D ) story. I was soft reseting the gift Latias for good natured/IVd one. It was tough, because of the battle and dialogue you have to go through every time. I soft reseted and soft reseted, when suddenly... shiny! Wow! Checked her nature. Timid. Double wow! Timid certainly isn´t the worst nature for Latias. She is currently in my Sun game.

Last edited:
Sorry for double post, but I have a question. After my succesfull capture of shiny Ho-oh, i turned my eyes to Suicune. This time, I was better prepared, with lotsa Net balls. This hunt was done very, very quickly. I mean, it wasn´t even 200 SRs. It struggled, but I captured him. I had my Modest synchronizer on the first slot, but I would be satisfied with any Attack lowering nature. Synchronizer didnt work (when it ever does) and his nature is... Naive :-/ (+Speed, -Sp. Defense). My question is: how to make this Suicune at least somewhat competetively viable? I need suggestions for EV spreads.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Oh. This thread exists... Well...

Shiny Collection!
This post contains a list of shiny Pokemon that I have found legitimately in a Pokemon game without using cheats or an external device. Below will be several hidden tabs ordered from each Pokemon game I found the shiny Pokemon in. I will not count shiny Pokemon that I have found with the Shiny Charm (because I never got the Shiny charm legitimately without cheating). I will not count any ingame shiny Pokemon except Pokemon Conquest (since Rayquaza is the only shiny in that game).
Wild Pokemon:
-After a week of shiny hunting this thing on Pokemon Sapphire (7 months total if Emerald and a previous Sapphire save is included), I FINALLY came across this shiny Rayquaza. I was like "WOAH". My voice was high pitched for the next five minutes as I was overwhelmed how sudden this shiny came and how awesome it just is. I literally found it during the least expected moment. I was playing Pokemon Moon, wondering around, talking to random NPCs to see what they would say. I went to Heahea city and ran inside the Ferry Terminal. I talked to a Beauty there and she said "I did this mission thee other day in Festival Plasma where you had to gather 100 people!" I walked away. A few seconds later, I heard the shine of shiny Rayquaza! I was flooded with excitement. This was probably the best shiny hunt I've ever had. 1/8192, FINALLY! I instantly caught it with the Master Ball and kept it on my team! This Pokemon is what I wanted to be the final result of my Pokemon Sapphire Playthrough and it is! I'm just so happy to have found this Pokemon <3. Found in Sky Pillar. Level 70.

Starters:
-My absolute first shiny ever. I found this thing randomly after one of my best friends threw my Pokemon Emerald around and I restarted it. My reaction was like: "Oh hey Shiny Mudkip! Ok, I'll take it I guess!" Found in well, Route 101. level 5...

Wild Pokemon:
-
Through my first ever balanced playthrough of a Pokemon game (using an actual team in the story mode instead of just 1 Pokemon most of the time and making my team near even level) I found this Shiny Poochyena training my Ralts. My reaction: Shocked! My heart was pounding! Afterwards I was like "screw Ralts! I'm training this guy instead!" Just so you know I ended up training then both anyway. Found in the Petalburg Woods. Level 5
-Literally within a day of me finding the first shiny Poochyena, I ran into this next Shiny Poochyena while training my Kirlia my heart was pounding again and I was like: AGAIN? IT HASN'T EVEN BEEN PAST 24 HOURS YET WOW!" Found in Route 117. Level 13.

Shiny Fails:
-
The only legit shiny fail I have so far. I found this level 100 Shiny Arcanine at the Battle Factory. My reaction: "Uhh... you can find Shiny Pokemon in the Battle Factory? Are they just as hard to find as the ones actually in the wild? Will this affect my chances of getting one in the wild?" I took a screenshot of it and even used it in all 7 battles I played and beat. I was more confused than excited but I was happy to have found it. Found at the Battle Factory. Level 100.

Wild Pokemon:
-
Second shiny I have ever found. I found it at Mount Moon as I was just walking around seeing if it was Clefairy night if you know what I mean. My reaction was something like: "What... WHAT! *Me looks all around the DS and sees no Action Replay* (I used Action Replay a lot during that time) woah this is amazing!" Found at Mt. Moon. Level 9.

Wild Pokemon:
-
The first of the two Pokemon I successfully shiny hunted. (Yea, I got many shiny Pokemon just randomly out in the wild while not even hunting them.) After so long of trying to find some random shiny so much I found it and my reaction was something like: "YAS! I FINALLY FOUND A SHINY! WHOO!" I caught it with joy and trained it to level 100. Found at Route 3 Dark Grass along with a Herdier in a double wild battle. Level 65.

Wild Pokemon:
-
The second successful shiny hunt I made. One day I was like "I'm gonna get one of the Shiny legendary beast Pokemon" So I went there and decided to shiny hunt for the legend that was there at the time which was Suicune. I suffered so much shiny hunting this thing (as any would) and I even went shiny hunting the other 2 beasts (just not nearly as much...). After about 100+ hours of shiny hunting day and night staying up all night as well (aka a week). I found this thing. That night I found it, my plan was to pretend to not expect finding this shiny. I even left showdown because I was pretty tired. After about an hour or two. I was falling asleep. The more I soft reset the game, the sleepier I got, and even my eyes were closed. It was to the point where I could only hear the game while about to be completely asleep... one more soft reset then I heard a shine... I woke straight up and was like "WHAT WOAH WOAH WOAH WHAT" I was so overwhelmed by this thing, so happy man... I was speechless for a lot of it too just absolutely amazed. It was freaking awesome. I named it Sapphire and I trained this Pokemon to level 100 also giving it max EV training and max affection. I'm serious shiny hunting this thing that night made me go from pretending to not expect it to LITERALLY not expecting it. Lesson learned from all your shiny Pokemon: You will find a shiny when you absolutely least expect it unless it's a giveaway free shiny like Gible or Gyarados. Found in Trackless Forest. Level 50.

Wild Pokemon:
-
As I was playing my Pokemon Moon playthrough, I tried to find a Staryu in Route 7, which has a 1% encounter rate. In the process I ran into a Shiny Magikarp. My reaction was sorta like: WOAH WHAT! I WAS TRYING TO FIND A STARYU FROM A 1% ENCOUNTER RATE AND I ALREADY FIND A SHINY BEFORE THEN? :D I caught it, added it to my Pokemon Moon team, and it will always be cherished. By the way, this Magikarp was found at full odds (the 1/4096 rate). Found at Route 7. Level 13.

Hatched Pokemon:
-
After so many egg-related shiny hunts in my life, I've finally hatched a shiny Pokemon legitimately! This was the first Pokemon I've done this with. It was a shiny hunt that took around four days. My reaction was a quick gasp and then a lightly pitched "yes!". I feel great about this shiny especially after discovering that this was the single Pokemon that kept tricking me the most. Cottonee changed shades of green so much that the second I see it on certain games, I kept thinking it was shiny until a split second later when I discovered "oh, it wasn't". This Cottonee was found using the Masuda Method breeding a female Adamant Prankster Cottonee with a Ditto I trained in Pokemon Black years ago named Techno. This shiny Cottonee was exactly the shiny Cottonee I was looking for too! Female with Prankster. Hatched at Paniola Ranch. Level 1.

Ally-Chained Pokemon:
-One day, I was watching a Youtube video made by Zypher (
) which was a compilation of 50 of his reactions for when he found shiny Pokemon. Towards the end, I saw him find a shiny Hakamo-o and that made me interested to try for the first time to Ally-Chain one myself. I went to Vast Poni Canyon, found a wild Jangmo-o and tried going for the shiny. I found one wild Kommo-o in the process. After around 45 minutes to an hour I found the shiny Hakamo-o. My only reaction was a quick gasp! I realized soon after than Hakamo-o and Kommo-o's shiny form in my opinion aren't bad at all. They look great :D. Found in Vast Poni Canyon. Level 44.

Pokemon Conquest:
-Shiny Rayquaza is the only shiny Pokemon possible to get in Pokemon Conquest and it is an ingame shiny. The reasons I'm counting this shiny is because it's the only shiny Pokemon in a certain Pokemon game that you can get and that even though this is an ingame shiny, it's not actually free. It's gonna take a while to have this Shiny Rayquaza on your hands and it compares to a person with average luck just shiny hunting it. You're gonna have to complete many stories of the game and gather all the other legendary Pokemon (barring Reshiram) including the really complicated Registeel. Getting this shiny isn't surprising but I promise you that it will be satisfying. Plus, unlike Gyarados, not every player and their grandma have this shiny. If you ever get this shiny legitimately in Pokemon Conquest, you truly deserved it. Even as a event gift from Black and White. Also, Pokemon Conquest isn't as popular, making it less common than the ingame shiny Pokemon in core series Pokemon games. Found in Infinite Tower.

Sorry for double post, but I have a question. After my succesfull capture of shiny Ho-oh, i turned my eyes to Suicune. This time, I was better prepared, with lotsa Net balls. This hunt was done very, very quickly. I mean, it wasn´t even 200 SRs. It struggled, but I captured him. I had my Modest synchronizer on the first slot, but I would be satisfied with any Attack lowering nature. Synchronizer didnt work (when it ever does) and his nature is... Naive :-/ (+Speed, -Sp. Defense). My question is: how to make this Suicune at least somewhat competetively viable? I need suggestions for EV spreads.
I don't think there's much that can be done. Suicune's big draw is its excellent bulk, and Naive pretty well kills that. Maybe try a 252 Sp. Attack/252 Speed spread if you really want to try using it competitively?

Decided to replay HeartGold just to see if the nostalgia on my favorite game still holds up. Ran into an Adamant shiny Sandshrew right after Violet City.

The best part about shinies in HG/SS? They are still shiny in the overworld sprites. Get to walk around with this glamour girl following me.

Still, it's going to be hard to take off the nostalgia goggles if the game is just going to pamper me like this.

I've found 35 shinies myself, all of them in Sun & Moon. The first one was a Psyduck through SOS: I had already completed the game and got the shiny charm, so it wasn't really a surprise. I accidentally run. Then, the first one I caught was another Psyduck. I've never had a shiny fail again. My last shiny was a female Salandit which I named Wendy (because she burns people) and evolved. My luckiest was a random encounter Pancham when I was looking for one so I could SOS.

Ransei

Garde Mystik
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Today, I had what was probably the best minute of my life.

Ok so yesterday I found that my internet wasn't working and I couldn't find a way to fix it. Today I tried again but I still couldn't find a way, so I got bored and restarted my Omega Ruby. The goal of this next Omega Ruby Playthrough is to beat the Elite Four with a team of shiny Pokemon and shiny hunt legendary Pokemon in the postgame. Choosing Torchic as my first Pokemon, I decided to shiny hunt for it just because I wanted a shiny Blaziken :). Within an hour and a half, I found myself a shiny Torchic and noticed it right away. My reaction was like "Woah, shiny Torchic! *silence* IT'S FEMALE! THAT'S LIT!; THAT'S LIT!; THAT'S LIT!; THAT'S LIT!;" and within that same minute I found the shiny Female Treecko I got my internet to work again. I noticed that shiny Torchic right away. There could've been a time where I accidentally called it Treecko but that's ok! It's an awesome Modest Proud of its Power Female shiny Torchic :D.

This was also my shortest ever full odds shiny hunt.

Last edited:
My first and only shiny that I've encountered was a shiny budew. I didn't realize that it was shiny, and as soon as I selected an attack, I regretted it.

Last night I accidentally chained a shiny Hakamo-o whilst looking for hidden abilities - with a chain somewhere in the realm of 10-30 (was barely even paying attention at the time ha!). Unfortunately it is Bashful but it could be worse.

im going to make a bold statement that i probably have been fucked over the worst when it comes to shiny pokemon out of every person to see this coment.

why you ask? i just topped 70000SR on combee on platinum i just watched a video and discovered that using cute charm on combee essentially makes shiny odds 1/24000. no prizes for anyone who correctly guesses who tried that...

oh but miraculously i did actually happen to find a shiny combee around 22k SR. apparently the 1/24000 odds did happen so surely a 66% chance of female combee happened right? right?....

oh you pity me badly already? oh hahaha hold up im not done yet.
on top of that i did like 36/37000 SR on emerald for shiny regirock and i think like 18000 on shiny regice before realising that RNG on emerald dry battery is royally fucked up essentially meaning out of every single one of those soft resets i had 0 chance. zilch.

ok lets now do the math... 70000+ 37000+ 18000= 125000SR for nothing

next time you want to whinge because you didnt get your shiny in 1000 goes always remember it could always get a lot worse. and i mean a lot worse

*drops the mic and walks away*

Last edited:
Shinies... Oh boy.

The last time I ran into a wild shiny that wasn't handed out on a silver platter was in 2008, on Pokemon Pearl. It was a Sneasel, and it and that game are long gone. It's been 9 years since I last encountered a shiny the game didn't hand to me either via story progression (Red Gyarados) or via event or in-game giveaway (Shiny Gible/Dratini in BW2, Shiny Beldum in ORAS)

on top of that i did like 36/37000 SR on emerald for shiny regirock and i think like 18000 on shiny regice before realising that RNG on emerald dry battery is royally fucked up essentially meaning out of every single one of those soft resets i had 0 chance. zilch.
lol it has nothing to do with whether emerald's battery is dry or not

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Back when I was a wee lad playing Pokémon Gold on my game boy color I remember finding a shiny golbat in victory road while at a restaurant (first real shiny). Threw a ball, it broke out, and then it used whirlwind, ending the battle. It was a sad day.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Back when I was a wee lad playing Pokémon Gold on my game boy color I remember finding a shiny golbat in victory road while at a restaurant (first real shiny). Threw a ball, it broke out, and then it used whirlwind, ending the battle. It was a sad day.
Wild Golbat can't have Whirlwind in Gen II, though. It's a chain-breeding move only. Seems like a bit of memory mishap there.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Wild Golbat can't have Whirlwind in Gen II, though. It's a chain-breeding move only. Seems like a bit of memory mishap there.
You know, I thought something was wrong with that memory. Anyhow I'm sure it was a golbat and I'm sure I didn't catch it for whatever (but then again this was at a time when I released my starter to "see what would happen") reason. Maybe no balls or possibly I clicked run accidentally. It's hard to tell when you're playing a dark screen under a table.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
it does. i dont remember exactly but something about you having to hit a certain frame in the game for it to appear shiny so spamming the a button just meant i likely kept hitting the same frame
Dry Battery causes a static RNG seed in R/S (5A0 to be exact), but Emerald always has a static seed because Game Freak screwed up the seeding mechanics when coding the game; the seed function doesn't get called at all when the game is booted up, so it defaults to 0 regardless if the battery is dry or still live.

The only time Emerald uses a proper seed is when you start a new file. When your TID is generated (when the confirmation screen loads after imputing your name), the RNG resets with the TID's value (in hex) being used as the inital seed.

So in layman's terms, the game runs through unique spreads when you start a new game, but once you save and cut the game off, it will always cycle through the same spreads.

I just found a shiny Midday Lycanrock? yesterday. I was training a Mawile and quite unprepared for it, didn't have any sleep inducers....

And my aesthetic side made me waste more than 25 Beast Balls before settling with Quick Ball instead. Bah....
Too bad, it's neutral natured... sighs....

Not including Gyarados, been lucky enough to encounter about 20 shinies since gen 3 without ever getting the shiny charm or going out of my to find them, although I have received a couple through trading.
My favourite ones are those I've bred and raised to be competitive which are -
(Female)

My only shiny failure was a shiny Solrock in pokemon X. I wasn't paying attention so I didn't see it sparkle.
I thought to myself, 'Is Solrock always bright red?... Oh well' Hits run away lol!

Last edited:
That awkward moment in which you hit a shiny frame while breeding Pokemon, but you're so tired that you forget what's going on and accidentally save after soft resting and moving back to the encounter frame before checking the negative frames...

I think I need to sleep more. At least I have enough shiny frame clusters saved up that I don't have to worry too much. Sun and Moon has been great and awful for me in getting new shiny Pokemon. On the one hand, RNG is so easily abused especially in breeding (thanks to egg swap) it's not even funny. I have a bucket full of shiny spreads I can use to breed competitive shiny Pokemon. On the other hand, I've met a total of 1 shiny Pokemon in the wild this entire gen (a shiny Magnemite), whereas in Y around this time I had gotten ~20 shiny encounters in the wild. RNG is cruel and mysterious at the same time.

I've never hatched a shiny Pokemon before...until the last two days that is; in the process of trying to breed for a good Buneary and Ralts (to evolve to Gallade) in Alpha Sapphire to transfer to Moon, I've hatched a shiny one of each. The Buneary is male (meh) and the Ralts is female (meh!), but still pretty neat I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)