Shiny Pokemon Experiences

Ever found a shiny Pokemon

• Total voters
I caught her, and named her Shiny funnily enough.
Join the club. That's what I named:
- my first shiny in Emerald (Oddish, random)
- my first shiny in X (Vanillite, horde training)
- my first shiny in OR (Zigzagoon, horde training)

I'm going to name my first shiny in B2 "Shiny" (haven't got it yet) as well as the first shiny I get when I eventually get Sun.

I actually got lucky enough to encounter a shiny in the first Pokemon game I ever played (Sapphire.) Found a shiny zubat. I was in elementary school, and something I notice among people who encounter shinies young/for the first time usually botch it somehow (like resetting the game, knocking it out, etc) but I actually caught it because it looked weird. Unfortunately, I had to give the game back to its rightful owner not too much longer, as I was merely borrowing it.

Years later, I found a shiny rattata in one of my Heartgold runs, but I didn't care about it, so I knocked it out. Haven't encountered a shiny since.

My firsst shiny was a Golbat i found on a route near Mahogany Town in Pokémon Gold.
I heard some rumors about the "Pokémon with different colors and different colors" thing a bit in school but i thought that was just another thing to make us waste our time, like the Mew Truck.
But when i found that Golbat, i threw Pokéballs at it like crazy!
I was so happy that i got one of these "different color" Pokémon that i leveled him up all the way to a Crobat.

Hi!

My first shiny was in Pokémon X. I actually used the chain fishing method (when you fish in one spot over and over again) and after like 8 tries, landed a shiny Clauncher! It was red, which is my favorite color, actually. I was really excited, seeing as I was like 11 at the time.

My first shiny pokemon ever was a tentacool I found near Mossdeep City in Pokemon Ruby, probably around 8 or 9 years ago. However, I thought the game was bugging out and reset without saving haha, and I haven't found a shiny again ever since until XY, where I (unintentionally) found around 10 in a timespan of only 3 years.

My first encountered shiny was in black version(I was 9).I found a shiny krokorok while investigating rumors of a "level 70 sun bug" deep in relic castle. It was level ~35 , and as I had a team prepared to face a level 70, my weakest Pokemon was a level 47 tornadus. I had a psychic move and a fighting move(as well as 2 other moves I don't remember). I was pulling up bulbapedia to check type effectiveness, but the page was loading very slowly(I was getting very impatient). I felt pretty confident that ground resisted fighting (didn't know fighting was good on dark). Well it was easily ohko'd and of course, the page just comes up right then. I sat there crying for a solid 2 hours(I kid you not). My parents had no idea what was wrong...

My first encountered shiny was in black version(I was 9).I found a shiny krokorok while investigating rumors of a "level 70 sun bug" deep in relic castle. It was level ~35 , and as I had a team prepared to face a level 70, my weakest Pokemon was a level 47 tornadus. I had a psychic move and a fighting move(as well as 2 other moves I don't remember). I was pulling up bulbapedia to check type effectiveness, but the page was loading very slowly(I was getting very impatient). I felt pretty confident that ground resisted fighting (didn't know fighting was good on dark). Well it was easily ohko'd and of course, the page just comes up right then. I sat there crying for a solid 2 hours(I kid you not). My parents had no idea what was wrong...
Wow... I feel bad for you.

I've hatched a few shinies, but every shiny I've ever found in the wild was in a horde, while EV training in Y. The first one I ever got was a Throh I hatched, and the first one I ever found was a Vanillite.

The only shiny I've ever hatched that actually came out with competitively viable stats is my Quiet Aegislash. I had just finished training and leveling up the first one I had gotten with good IVs, and went back to hatch up the leftover eggs so I could throw them in the pile with the rest of the spitbacks. Not only did 2 more in that small batch of eggs have good stats, but one of them ended up being the shiny.

It has been more than two years since my last post in this thread, time for an update.

Here are all the random shinies I have found since then. This time, I'm listing them in the order I obtained them in rather than going by game.

October 2014:

- A shiny Volbeat I met while training my post-game team.

January 2015:

- A shiny Bibarel in my extra copy of Platinum. I was playing through the game for the first time, looking for a Male Ralts that I wanted to use on my team. Along the way, I ran into this. Memorable because it is one of 3 random shinies I have found on 4th Gen.

- A shiny Wingull in a Horde on X while looking for berry trees.

- A shiny Throh from a Friend Safari in X while I was looking for a Female Riolu.

- A shiny Mareep in a Horde on Y.

Four shinies in just one month was very unexpected, but the year didn't end there.

June 2015:

- A shiny Azumarill on X while I was looking for another Azumarill to use for breeding purposes.

- A shiny Drifloon on X while I was training my online team.

September 2015:

- A shiny Geodude on Platinum (this time, my main file). My third random shiny on Gen 4.

April 2016:

- A shiny Drilbur on Alpha Sapphire. Got it while doing some breeding for Pokedex purposes. Memorable because it is the second random shiny I have hatched from an egg. I didn't have the Shiny Charm at this point, and I was not using international parents either.

August 2016:

- A shiny Marill in a Horde on Alpha Sapphire. Now I had the Shiny Charm.

- A shiny Tentacruel on Alpha Sapphire. Happened the day after I found the Marill. It was using the DexNav, but it wasn't a "chain" since it was the very first encounter.

November 2016:

- A shiny Oddish in a Horde on Omega Ruby. With it, I have found at least one random shiny in all of my 6th Gen games, which made me happy.

All in all, that's a total of 12 random shinies in slightly more than 2 years, bringing the total number of random shinies I have found to 32/33, 30 which I got to keep. Which is a bit weird since I don't actively hunt for shinies and yet there are others here who have played for as long as me and have only enountered one or a few shinies.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'm merging this with the Shiny Pokémon Experiences thread, since it appears to cover exactly what you described. Also:

Smogon Global Rules:
  • Employ the conventions of standard written English. Nobody is going to jump down your throat if you make a spelling mistake or split an infinitive, but please, your posts MUST be readable. As you might imagine, l33t 5p34k and other intentional misspellings (u, liek, etc.) are expressly banned. Spell out "you" and "your" instead of typing "u" or "ur." Don't be lazy!
Please use proper capitalization in the future.

I'm doing the Cute Charm Trick in SoulSilver (Not a glitch), and boy is it amazing. Almost 50 shinies found so far, and I've barely even hunted for any. In case you don't know, the Cute Charm Trick exists in all Gen IV games. If your TID (Trainer ID No.) and SID (Secret ID No.) are very close together and if you have a male Pokemon in your lead party spot that has the ability Cute Charm, you have a 22.14% chance of encountering a shiny.

I've also delved into RNG manipulation for shinies, and I'm doing a run of Sapphire (Dry battery for easier RNG) with my purple Mudkip and other shinies.

My first shiny, non-Red Gyarados Pokemon was a Caterpie I caught in either Gold or Crystal at the National Park (probably between 2000 and 2002). I was very excited when it evolved into a pink Butterfree.
Platinum's my lucky version as far as shinies go. I caught a shiny Geodude and Psyduck in Oreburgh Mine and Gate, respectively, and killed a shiny Onix on accident at the Mine.
I recently encountered a shiny Female Combee in X Version; that's extremely lucky that I didn't get male.

Last edited:
Two shinies so far:

Zubat in Castelia Sewers when I was with Hugh in White 2. I try to kill its neighbouring Rattata with Thundershock, but Hugh's Servine (which usually doesn't use any attacking moves) decides to Leaf Tornado the Rattata and faints it, redirecting my Thundershock to the Zubat. V_V

The only other one I've gotten (other than event Rayquaza, Xerneas, Yveltal and Mewtwo) was last week, a Kyurem on the same game. This time I had a Master Ball and a Synchroniser.

In gen 4 when my favourite Pokemon was Giratina, my best friend was soft resetting for an Impish one and got a shiny one that also had the correct nature. It took me five years to persuade him to part with it, but it's mine now and I'm never letting it go. With Sun and Moon, I can maximise its IVs too!

I've gotten more shinies from Wonder Trade than anything else. So far, people have given me a Goomy, a Misdreavus, a Porygon2, and a Kingdra.

First Gen VII Shiny: I was also making my way to Lana's trial and I found and caught a Shiny Lillipup. Just like Detective Barricade 's first Gen VII shiny mine has shit nature (Rash) and IVs (no greater than 19 Attack and no greater than 3 Speed) but it makes this playthrough memorable. I'm playing through my brother's Pokemon Moon copy just so I can get competitive versions of all the legends as well as get copies of stuff for my living dex. And I got this little guy to go along with it.

I got my very first non-gyrados shiny pokemon in my sapphire (or was it emerald...) version a good number of years ago on Thanksgiving day. Back when Shiny pokemon were still mysterious and not at all mainstream. I was soft resetting for Regice. After three days of soft resetting, I was about to give up. So pessimistic in fact that "I was going to give up if this next encounter was not shiny". But then suddenly that next encounter was shiny! Made me fall off of the couch in suprise! Catching it was painstaking and stressful, but when I caught it, I made sure the whole house knew lol.

Last edited:
I traded a Rayquaza for the Shiny Dialga event(on GTS Negotiations), which I didn't know was shiny at the time…and later deleted my save

I traded a starter(either Snivy or Tepig, not sure) for a shiny Celebi to my friend(who's a cheater)…and later released the Celebi when I realized that was a hacked/cheated one

And the actual one I found was a Shiny Aron in White Forest, while I was making a list of Pokèmon I had available there. It's now a pretty high level Aggron. I wasn't too sure if it was shiny when I encountered it, so it's nickname is: SHINY?!

Last edited:
In S/M, I was heading to catch a Ditto on Mount Whateverface so I could Masuda method a Staryu I had gotten through a trade when I came across a completely random shiny Fearow. Managed to get it in a Nest Ball, too.

The shiny master has arrived. Ladies, please. Control yourselves.

Alpha Sapphire:
Dodou (Now a Dodrio)- Random Encounter (Safari Zone)
Wailmer (Now a Wailord)- Random Encounter
Zigzagoon- Horde Chain
Treecko- SR on Omega Ruby (Still haven't played through it)
Sableye- Random Encounter
Latios- SR on Eon Ticket Southern Island
Magikarp- Chain Fishing
Magikarp (Now a Gyarados)- Chain Fishing
Remoraid- Chain Fishing
Remoraid (Now an Octillery)- Chain Fishing
Feebas (x3)- Chain Fishing
Sharpedo- Chain Fishing
More Wailmers (x8)- Chain Fishing, they are everywhere in this game, I look for a corsola or a luvdisc with a super rod and a get a wailmer instead
Carvanha- Chain Fishing
Corphish (x2)- Chain Fishing
Barboach (x2)- Chain Fishing
Seaking- Chain Fishing
Corsola- Chain Fishing
Luvdisc- Chain Fishing
Ninjask- DexNav
Shedinja- DexNav
Eevee- Dexnav
Psyduck (x2)- Dexnav
Kakuna- DexNav
Shuppet- Random Encounter
Horsea- Chain Fishing
Pidgeotto- DexNav
Elekid (x3)- DexNav
Magby (x2)- DexNav
Seadra- Chain Fishing
Cherrim- DexNav
Minccino- DexNav
Audino- DexNav
Grimer- Horde Hunt
Ariados- Horde Hunt
Aron- Horde Hunt
Sandshrew- Horde Hunt
Voltorb- Horde Hunt

Sun:
Rowlet (Now a Decidueye)- SR on Day 2
Grubbin- SOS chain

Y:
Bunnelby- Random Encounter
Poliwhirl (x2)- Chain Fishing
Fletchling- PokeRadar

FireRed:
Mewtwo- SR

Ruby:
Taillow (Now a Swellow)- Random Encounter on a game I bought before I reset it, transferred it FireRed. I did find it, but since it wasn't my save file I don't really think of it as my pokemon.

Total Shinys: 61

Shiny Losses :(

Politoed in Y- Chain Fishing, it used Perish song

Current Hunts:
SR for Shiny Adamant Type: Null, it cant breed and it is a gift pokemon, so the synchronize will always work

I have plans for many more shiny hunts soon to come...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)