SM OU Set Free - Volcarona Bulky Offense

Should this team have a Mega-Evolution?

• Total voters
Set Free

Introduction:
Hey! I’m TheColorfulOrca, and this is a team that I’ve had a lot of success with recently. I’ve been playing Pokémon since Gen 4, but I didn’t start to get into competitive battling until XY, which is also around the time where I found Smogon, and have been lurking since.

Volcarona has always been one of my favorite Pokémon, and after seeing that it’s back in the meta, I decided to make a team around it and Zygarde, another new Gen 7 threat.

Teambuilding Process:

I started with Volcarona and Zygarde, since they synergize well together.

Mega Scizor was added as a bulky pivot to get them in safely, and clears hazards away for Volcarona.

At this point, I was lacking any Ground resists or a way to deal with bulky Waters, so AV Tangrowth was added.

Scarf Keldeo was added as the team's revenge killer

Lastly, Lando-T was added for Rocks and another Earthquake switch-in.

The Team:

Volcarona @ Charti Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance -
- Fire Blast -
- Giga Drain -
- Hidden Power (Ground) -

The star of the team, Volcarona can sweep teams with ease once it has set up with Quiver Dance. Fire Blast is Volcarona’s most powerful STAB, and becomes even more powerful after a boost, dealing hefty damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Giga Drain provides decent recovery, as well as nailing water types not names Toxapex. HP Ground is used to hit Hearten and Toxapex hard. Just as Zygarde helps deal with the Pokémon that wall Volcarona, it can in turn remove threats to Zygarde such as bulky Grass-types and, to an extent, the Tapus. Charti Berry lets it survive Rock-type attacks form certain Pokémon such as Stone Edge Keldeo. EVs and nature are standard for max power and speed.

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows -
- Outrage -
- Extreme Speed -
- Toxic -

CB Zygarde is a powerful wallbreaker, and synergizes well with Volcarona, dealing with Pokémon that wall it such as Toxapex and bulky Fires. Thousand Arrows is an extremely spammable move, and makes would-be counters such as Celesteela think twice about staying in. Outrage is used to hit the Grass-types that resist Thousand Arrows. Extreme Speed is the obligatory priority move, picking off low HP targets. Toxic cripples walls such as Mew, and puts a timer on set-up sweepers. EVs are standard, and Adamant is used over Jolly since it doesn’t outspeed anything notable with Jolly.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog -
- Bullet Punch -
- U-turn -
- Roost -

Defog Mega Scizor serves as the team's hazard remover, since Volcarona would otherwise be crippled by Rocks. It's also a great defensive pivot, with good defensive stats. Bullet Punch is the main STAB attack, with the added benefit of having priority to finish off weakened Pokémon. A slow U-Turn can get Mega Scizor out of an unfavorable matchup, and safely bring in other members of the team. Roost heals off the damage it may have taken while switching into hazards, and gives it more longevity. EVs and nature are standard.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain -
- Knock Off -
- Earthquake -
- Hidden Power [Ice] -

AV Tangrowth provides key resistances to Water and Ground-type moves, and acts as a secondary bulky pivot. Giga Drain is STAB, and provides decent recovery combined with Regenerator. Knock Off is a great utility move, removing key items such as AV and Leftovers, while scouting for a Mega Stone/Z-Crystal. Earthquake provides coverage against Steel-types, and HP Ice is for Zygarde, Garchomp, and Lando-T. EVs and nature are standard.

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge

Keldeo is a great revenge killer, and adds some much-needed speed to the team. Hydro Pump is primary STAB and provides the best neutral damage. Secret Sword is secondary STAB, and provides coverage against threats such as Ash-Greninja, Ferrothorn, and Kyurem-Black. Icy Wind is used to hit Zygarde and Lando-T, and Stone Edge OHKO's non-Charti Berry Volcarona after a boost. EV's and nature are standard.

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock -
- Earthquake -
- Smack Down-
- Fly -

Lando-T is a great lead and Stealth Rock setter like it was last gen, but the introduction of Z-Crystals gave it a new answer to the Pokémon that aren’t threatened by Earthquake. Rocks help soften up opponent's Pokemon and make them easier for Volcarona and Zygarde to finish off. Earthquake is STAB, and Smack Down is for use against Pokémon such as Celesteela and Zapdos, who are otherwise unafraid of Earthquake. Flyinium Z turns Fly into a 175 BP move that deals hefty damage to Grass-types and bulky Pokémon that can deal with Earthquake, such as Tapu Fini and Zard-Y. EVs and nature are standard.

Conclusion:
I hope you liked the team! I’ve had a decent amount of success on the ladder with it, but I believe that it can be improved.

Importable:
Volcarona @ Charti Berry
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Zygarde @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Fly

Here is a link to the text colorizer I used. I found it after reading Exploudit's RMT (check that one out too, here it is)

Last edited:

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
After looking through your team, there are some edits to be made. For one, your Z-crystal situation is an issue. Landorus-Therian should be the one to keep it, as doing so gives you very good breaking power. In particular, your team is weak to Landorus-T, Zygarde, Garchomp and Volcarona.

DD Zygarde --> CB Zygarde with Toxic over DD

If you need to break through Heatran and Toxapex, a CB set is better. It also serves as a very good physical wallbreaker and can serve as a better Steel answer than Lando. Also, if you can exploit Garchomp and other Zygardes locked into a weaker move you can deal with them with Outrage. Toxic lets you wear down on bulkier foes over a longer period of time, like Mew (be wary of Synchronize), Unaware Clefable (so that Volcarona can have a better time vs it) and Zapdos.

Firium Z on Volcarona ---> Charti Berry and Timid over Modest

This lets it live Rock type moves from the Scarfers your team has trouble dealing with. At +1 Volcarona appreciates being able to outspeed Scarf Lele, Jolly Scarf Excadrill, Scarf Kyube, and being able to at least tie with other 100 base speeders before it boosts. In addition, it's plenty powerful at +1 even with Timid.

Aura Sphere ---> Ice Beam on Magearna

This gives a better time vs Zygarde, Garchomp and Landorus, who will now no longer be able to switch in.

Also, I don't believe you should use Tapu Bulu at all. Now with CB Zygarde, you already have a physical breaker, and Tapu Bulu doesn't really help your team at all. Thus, I'd recommend Choice Scarf Keldeo over Tapu Bulu

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naïve Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge

Stone Edge lets you revenge opposing Volcarona that don't have a Charti Berry.

Also, as a hazard remover, Fini is easily worn down to the point where it's hard to check dragons at all. Thus, I'd recommend Mew over Tapu Fini.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam

This Mew is designed to take on Zygarde, Garchomp and Lando-T with being physically defensive and having Ice Beam. It also removes hazards and in general checks a lot more things in the meta while being more consistent than Fini.

Finally, with that, you have Mew who takes care of these 3 grounds, Magearna doesn't let them in, and Keldeo also takes care of them. Thus, I'd go HP Ground over HP Ice on Volcarona so that it can have a better matchup against Heatran and Toxapex.

Here's the new team:
Volcarona @ Charti Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fire Blast

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Naïve Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge
Mew @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fly​

Overall, it's a good team, but it needed some work.

Also, as a hazard remover, Fini is easily worn down to the point where it's hard to check dragons at all. Thus, I'd recommend Mew over Tapu Fini.

Mew @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam

This Mew is designed to take on Zygarde, Garchomp and Lando-T with being physically defensive and having Ice Beam. It also removes hazards and in general checks a lot more things in the meta while being more consistent than Fini.

Finally, with that, you have Mew who takes care of these 3 grounds, Magearna doesn't let them in, and Keldeo also takes care of them. Thus, I'd go HP Ground over HP Ice on Volcarona so that it can have a better matchup against Heatran and Toxapex.
Can verify, use both this Mew set (with Taunt rather than Softboiled) and HP Ground Volcarona, both work wonders for your team.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Can verify, use both this Mew set (with Taunt rather than Softboiled) and HP Ground Volcarona, both work wonders for your team.
I'd advise against Taunt over Softboiled. Without recovery, Mew faces the same problem as Tapu Fini in that it gets too easily worn down to check the grounds.

BPGXMG said:
After looking through your team, there are some edits to be made. For one, your Z-crystal situation is an issue. Landorus-Therian should be the one to keep it, as doing so gives you very good breaking power. In particular, your team is weak to Landorus-T, Zygarde, Garchomp and Volcarona.

DD Zygarde --> CB Zygarde with Toxic over DD
If you need to break through Heatran and Toxapex, a CB set is better. It also serves as a very good physical wallbreaker and can serve as a better Steel answer than Lando. Also, if you can exploit Garchomp and other Zygardes locked into a weaker move you can deal with them with Outrage. Toxic lets you wear down on bulkier foes over a longer period of time, like Mew (be wary of Synchronize), Unaware Clefable (so that Volcarona can have a better time vs it) and Zapdos.

Firium Z on Volcarona ---> Charti Berry and Timid over Modest
This lets it live Rock type moves from the Scarfers your team has trouble dealing with. At +1 Volcarona appreciates being able to outspeed Scarf Lele, Jolly Scarf Excadrill, Scarf Kyube, and being able to at least tie with other 100 base speeders before it boosts. In addition, it's plenty powerful at +1 even with Timid.

Aura Sphere ---> Ice Beam on Magearna
This gives a better time vs Zygarde, Garchomp and Landorus, who will now no longer be able to switch in.

Also, I don't believe you should use Tapu Bulu at all. Now with CB Zygarde, you already have a physical breaker, and Tapu Bulu doesn't really help your team at all. Thus, I'd recommend Choice Scarf Keldeo over Tapu Bulu
Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Naïve Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge

Stone Edge lets you revenge opposing Volcarona that don't have a Charti Berry.

Mew @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam

Here's the new team:

Volcarona @ Charti Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fire Blast

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Toxic
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Naïve Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge
Mew @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Fly

Overall, it's a good team, but it needed some work.
Hey! Thanks for the review, I appreciate it! I agree with most of your suggestions, but I am concerned about removing Bulu from the team. Without him, I don't have anyone who resists Ground (Lando-T is vulnerable to Smack Down/Gravity and Thousand Arrows) or Water, making it more difficult to switch into Pokemon such as Zygarde and Ash-Greninja. What if I ran SD Bulu instead of CB? Other than that, I agree with the changes you proposed. Thanks again for the review!

Hey.

Your team's pretty solid but it still has some pretty obvious weaknesses. CB Zygarde has a pretty good time as you don't really have an actual resist - Bulu + Offensive Lando is not exactly enough, especially since some Zygarde carry Iron Tail. Stall also has a field day since CB Bulu is walled by Skarm. Both variants of Gren are also really hard for you to deal with.

Here are some suggestions to improve your team:

CB > DD Dragonium
Offensive Lando-T is really good at getting Rocks up, and CB Zyg makes full use of that, forcing switches while hitting really hard, maintaining a lot of pressure on your opponent. It's worth noting that CB Zyg does well vs Stall if you get Rocks up, which you should be able to do with relative ease.

Smack Down > U-Turn; Jolly Nature > Adamant Nature
Smack Down is really good for applying pressure on Celes, Skarm, and most Flying types in general. Jolly nature is usually preferred so you outspeed as many mons as possible.

AV >

AV Tang is one of the best defensive pivots in the tier, being able to switch into a myriad of threats and scout sets while being very tough to wear down with Regenerator. AV Tang easily solves your problem of a Ground type weakness and is a decent switch-in to scout the Gren set.

>

Since you have AV Tang, there's no need for AV Mage. Instead, you can replace it with MZor, which gives your team priority and a more reliable form of Defog. Most importantly, it can pivot around like U-Turn, meaning that you don't lose out on the offensive momentum AV Mage provides.

Scarf >

Like you mentioned, your team lacks Speed control, which Scarf Latios provides. It is one of the best Scarfers currently, notably outspeeding +2 SG Mage and doing around 35% back with HP Fire while tanking an Ice Beam if Mage hasn't gotten up any boosts yet. Since you already have Defog on MZor, I put Trick on it which is extremely useful against Stall and bulky mons that like to switch into it like Celesteela.

Here is your new team after the changes:
Volcarona @ Charti Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fire Blast

Zygarde @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Fly

Hope I helped, thanks for reading, and have a nice day! n_n

Tinberz said:
Hey.

Your team's pretty solid but it still has some pretty obvious weaknesses. CB Zygarde has a pretty good time as you don't really have an actual resist - Bulu + Offensive Lando is not exactly enough, especially since some Zygarde carry Iron Tail. Stall also has a field day since CB Bulu is walled by Skarm. Both variants of Gren are also really hard for you to deal with.

Here are some suggestions to improve your team:

CB > DD Dragonium
Offensive Lando-T is really good at getting Rocks up, and CB Zyg makes full use of that, forcing switches while hitting really hard, maintaining a lot of pressure on your opponent. It's worth noting that CB Zyg does well vs Stall if you get Rocks up, which you should be able to do with relative ease.

Smack Down > U-Turn; Jolly Nature > Adamant Nature
Smack Down is really good for applying pressure on Celes, Skarm, and most Flying types in general. Jolly nature is usually preferred so you outspeed as many mons as possible.

AV >

AV Tang is one of the best defensive pivots in the tier, being able to switch into a myriad of threats and scout sets while being very tough to wear down with Regenerator. AV Tang easily solves your problem of a Ground type weakness and is a decent switch-in to scout the Gren set.

>

Since you have AV Tang, there's no need for AV Mage. Instead, you can replace it with MZor, which gives your team priority and a more reliable form of Defog. Most importantly, it can pivot around like U-Turn, meaning that you don't lose out on the offensive momentum AV Mage provides.

Scarf >

Like you mentioned, your team lacks Speed control, which Scarf Latios provides. It is one of the best Scarfers currently, notably outspeeding +2 SG Mage and doing around 35% back with HP Fire while tanking an Ice Beam if Mage hasn't gotten up any boosts yet. Since you already have Defog on MZor, I put Trick on it which is extremely useful against Stall and bulky mons that like to switch into it like Celesteela.

Here is your new team after the changes:

Volcarona @ Charti Berry
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Fire Blast

Zygarde @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Impish Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Fly

Hope I helped, thanks for reading, and have a nice day! n_n
Hey! Thanks for the review! I like the suggestions that you made, and I think they will help the team a lot. However, the team would have four Ice weaknesses, which doesn't seem that great. I think using Scarf Keldeo instead of Scarf Latios would be better. Other than that, what you proposed was quite helpful. Thanks again for the review!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)