Special Season 6: BSS UU!

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Battle Spot Special Season 6: Battle Spot Singles UnderUsed!

>>> PGL Announcement <<<

Rules

-This is a standard 3vs3 ladder. Anything that's banned in Battle Spot Singles, is still banned here.
-This ladder lasts from September 12th to November 14th.​

It's Battle Spot Singles with a twist: 18 commonly used Pokemon from the last few seasons are banned!

These Pokemon are:
Aegislash
Blaziken
Charizard
Ferrothorn
Garchomp
Gengar
Greninja
Gyarados
Hippowdon
Landorus (all formes)
Lucario
Mamoswine
Mimikyu
Porygon2
Salamence
Tapu Fini
Tapu Koko
Tapu Lele

This is in addition to the standard banned mons from regular BSS which are: Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Celebi, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, Xerneas, Yveltal, Zygarde, Diancie, Hoopa, Hoopa-U, Volcanion, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna, Marshadow, and Greninja with Battle Bond.

Viability List
Soon™

Roles

Will be updated after some discussion!

Some Battle Spot Singles resources that can help

While this will be a new metagame, looking through Battle Spot Single's stuff could be handy here, since a lot of the good Pokemon there will probably still be good here if they aren't banned!

Introduction to 3vs3: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/an-introduction-to-3v3-singles-aka-bss.3601012/

Battle Spot Singles viability list: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/bss-viability-rankings.3605970/

Damage calc, usage, speed tiers, and chatrooms: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...age-calc-usage-stats-and-speed-tiers.3597695/

Last edited by a moderator:

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yo something I just realized: This metagame banned most of the really good Ghost-types (bar the niche but really neat Chandelure).

Why is this a big deal? It's because with them gone, I think Pheromosa (and to a lesser extent, Buzzwole) may be FAR more viable than usual! I'll have to try them out for sure!

Speaking of Ghost-types, I'm thinking the standard one around here is going to be Chandelure. It seems to be the only "pretty good" Ghost-type left from what I'm seeing.

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yo something I just realized: This metagame banned most of the really good Ghost-types (bar the niche but really neat Chandelure).

Why is this a big deal? It's because with them gone, I think Pheromosa (and to a lesser extent, Buzzwole) may be FAR more viable than usual! I'll have to try them out for sure!

Speaking of Ghost-types, I'm thinking the standard one around here is going to be Chandelure. It seems to be the only "pretty good" Ghost-type left from what I'm seeing.
Alolan Marowak is also worth looking at because Thundurus-T is looking nice in this.

Theorymon

Alolan Marowak is also worth looking at because Thundurus-T is looking nice in this.
That's a good point, especially since a lot of the 18 removed Pokemon were major issues for Alolan Marowak! While I wouldn't call Alolan Marowak "bulky" per say, its certainly the closest thing to a bulky offensive Ghost-type allowed in this metagame. It'll probably be standard on Trick Room teams for sure.

Speaking of Trick Room, losing Porygon2 and Mimikyu are pretty big blows to that format, but I think it'll still be very usable. On the offensive TR front, Chandelure probably still works fine, and on the bulkier side, we still got Cresselia and Slowbro.

Golisopod is gonna be an interesting mon in this format. While not being effective against a lot of Megas and weak to Thundurus, Golisopod has a clear advantage against TR stuff (Chandelure, A-Marowak, Cresselia, Slowbro), Tapu Bulu, Volcarona, Hydreigon... Not necessary a first choice but a good back one.

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Wow, so many Ground-Types are banned in this. Landorus, Garchomp, Mamoswine and Hippowdon. The next decent ones down the line are Nidoking, Krookodile and Swampert. I wonder how good they'll be.

Wow, so many Ground-Types are banned in this. Landorus, Garchomp, Mamoswine and Hippowdon. The next decent ones down the line are Nidoking, Krookodile and Swampert. I wonder how good they'll be.
I think Krookodile could work as while there are a lot of Ground-types that are banned in this season, almost everything else makes Krookodile's life harder. It would be easier to list what does not deal SE damage on it.

Theorymon

Swampert already works alright as Hippowdon alternative if you aren't using its Mega (though I'm sure rain is gonna love Ferrothorn being gone), since it gets Yawn and Stealth Rock. In my experience it can do ok against Mega Metagross too, though I can see more of them running Zen Headbutt to nail Mega Venusaur.

I'm thinking about Mudsdale too, since with Rocky Helmet and Stamina, Mega Kangaskhan has a ton of trouble with it. Should do decently against Mega Metagross too!

Thick Fat Azumarill

Certified Pasta Enjoyer
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
Swampert already works alright as Hippowdon alternative if you aren't using its Mega (though I'm sure rain is gonna love Ferrothorn being gone), since it gets Yawn and Stealth Rock. In my experience it can do ok against Mega Metagross too, though I can see more of them running Zen Headbutt to nail Mega Venusaur.

I'm thinking about Mudsdale too, since with Rocky Helmet and Stamina, Mega Kangaskhan has a ton of trouble with it. Should do decently against Mega Metagross too!
My first thought about Swampert was as a Hippo replacement before its Mega, but Rain also sounds scary in the format. I wonder if we'll see obscure mons that can counter it like Mantine and Rotom-W.

Mudsdale sounds pretty good on paper as well, Stamina + RH is a dangerous combo.

Yes this is true Mega Heracross CressTran TR with Azu Thundurus-T and ScarfDriller (instead of Mamo since Mamo is banned and even in normal Gen 7, the gen 7 version of that team runs a different moveset of Hera and Exca over Mamo anyway) is going to be very powerful. However, as was the case when using that team since gen 6, Mawile teams always find a way to mess everything up. So BuluTran Mawile TR is looking more solid imo! Can probably have a Thundurus-I on that team instead too for pretty much free Prankster Twave abuse now and wonderful support for them outside of TR and stopping TR too if they have something antiTR like Amoon or something.

So with Blaziken banned, is it now Scolipede's time to shine? I'll admit that I'm no BSS's pro. I am relatively new to the format and trying to make headway on catridge metagames and I figure this would be the time. I looked through BSS's rankings and didn't see any Scolipede in the rankings. Then I remembered that Blaziken and its Mega are legal in this format and would probably overshadow it, particularly on teams where Blaziken is the main mega. But with the best Speed Boost Baton Passer banned, Scolipede should have a chance to shine. I've been considering creating a team with Scolipede and Alolan Ninetails as well as 4 Pokemon that could take advantage of one or the other's ulility in Speed Passing and Aurora Veil respectively depending on the matchup. I imagine Pokemon like Mega-Metagross, Toxapex, and Volcarona could be good candidates.

Theorymon

So with Blaziken banned, is it now Scolipede's time to shine? I'll admit that I'm no BSS's pro. I am relatively new to the format and trying to make headway on catridge metagames and I figure this would be the time. I looked through BSS's rankings and didn't see any Scolipede in the rankings. Then I remembered that Blaziken and its Mega are legal in this format and would probably overshadow it, particularly on teams where Blaziken is the main mega. But with the best Speed Boost Baton Passer banned, Scolipede should have a chance to shine. I've been considering creating a team with Scolipede and Alolan Ninetails as well as 4 Pokemon that could take advantage of one or the other's ulility in Speed Passing and Aurora Veil respectively depending on the matchup. I imagine Pokemon like Mega-Metagross, Toxapex, and Volcarona could be good candidates.
Personally if I were to do that, I'd probably get rid of Alolan Ninetales, and make the team a bit more ordinary with the bonus of "Scolipede can sometimes pass to some dangerous sweepers". Granted, I haven't gotten the chance to play this yet (should change late tonight though!), but there seems to be a lot of stall running around, so I'd try to find a way against that too. Mega Heraross with a speed boost in particular sounds very deadly in this metagame actually!

Personally if I were to do that, I'd probably get rid of Alolan Ninetales, and make the team a bit more ordinary with the bonus of "Scolipede can sometimes pass to some dangerous sweepers". Granted, I haven't gotten the chance to play this yet (should change late tonight though!), but there seems to be a lot of stall running around, so I'd try to find a way against that too. Mega Heraross with a speed boost in particular sounds very deadly in this metagame actually!
Yeah, Mega Heracross is a good choice isn't it? With a lot of Ghosts kicked out, its STAB has become more potent and with Speed Boosts and possibly a Substitue or SD delivered to it, it can wreak havoc at the right moment! Although I find it interesting to hear stall is becoming common. Though that's probably to be expected with all the busted heavy hitters banned. I'll probably want a powerful Special nuking mon like Mega Xurkitree (mine's got HP Ice. Woot!), Mega Gardevoir, or Porygon-Z. The team could also use an obligatory wall or two like Chansey and Toxapex, and good Taunt supporter would be much appreciated along with a strong Z-User. Would also need to make sure my team can function in matchups where BP is unusable/make Scolipede self sufficent.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just uploaded the team I've been using in this as a QR code so give it a try if you want to have a go at the ladder! https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-1029-44AF

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Tomb
- Encore

Kartana @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 180 Atk / 4 Def / 108 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Night Slash
- Swords Dance

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance

Espeon @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 236 HP / 44 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 220 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Yawn
- Psychic

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 68 Def / 4 SpD / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Hone Claws
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

The idea is really simple; lead off with Shuckle for entry hazards and bring sweepers that look good for the matchup! Espeon is an alternative lead option that prevents opposing hazards from getting up while getting screens up to ease boosting. Volc and Kartana are super strong in this format, with Metagross and Azu as anti-Heatran measures. Kinda struggles against rain teams but Kartana can usually beat Swampert and Azu is great against Kingdra so it isn't all bad. Hope someone has fun with this team!

Last edited:

Theorymon

I don't have time to make a giant post due to having a pretty busy week in college, but I have been playing on this! Peaked at 1703 thus far, then tilted quite a bit (but am confident I can get back when I have more time this weekend).

Short impression is: while Kangaskhan, Cresselia, and Mega Metagross (and to a lesser extent imo, Mega Heracross) are the obvious "dominating" threats, this metagame actually feels surprisingly less centralized than I expected. Maybe its just me, but outside of the 4 threats I mentioned, the Pokemon I've been seeing higher ranked players use is all over the place. I've been seeing some pretty odd stuff like Rocky Helmet Bewear, Alomomola, and Salazzle just to mention a few things!

Anyways, I've been really loving rain in this metagame, I find Karatana and Mega Venusaur a lot easier to deal with than Ferrothorn or Mega Charizard in Battle Spot Singles (though they are still threats, don't underestimate them!). I've also been using Decidueye of all things. I specifically needed a Grass-type that could bust through Cresselia, but good lord +2 Sinister Arrow Raid is insanely strong, with even Jolly Decidueye (whom I use to speed creep Heatran and Mega Heracross) often OHKOing physically defensive Celesteela after a boost o_O.

It isn't perfect (the speed tier really hurts, and it takes physical hits about as well as a Lucario lol), but its something I'm going to mess around with more for sure!

After about playing over 120 games on this ladder I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

Just to add to what theorymon said, the only really strong core I've seen consistently is the hydre + Mega metagross core with all sorts of alternatives. Tapu bulu/primarina/azu all being good 3rd mons. Kang + cress isn't all that popular though it is obviously something to look out for. Just in terms of stuff that's a threat and used alot, I'd put z-move dragonite, belly drum azu, scarf/sash nihilego, serperior, mawile, volcarona and your other usual suspects at the top of the list.

All the high rated players I have played indubitably have one or two tricks up their sleeves with a wildcard mon and a bunch of "standard/expected" mons. I played a guy in the top 10 and he practically sweeped me with assault vest entei which also had extreme speed. At the same time he was running the metagross/hydregion/bulu core with krookedile as his ground type. Then there's stuff like kommo-o I found on a guy rated in the high 1700s. I mean c'mon, kommo-o? AND IT HAD COUNTER!

Sitting at 1738 using a hyper offence team is always fun. Suicide lead infernape is a beast which can throw up rocks, ohko kang/hydregion with close combat and metagross with overheat 50 percent of the time (I'm holding a focus sash so I can always switch to my rocky helmet mon on the bullet punch). Rock tomb is great for speed control and volcarona/d'nite.

This is a really great tier. Other mega-mons which I have seen and know have potential but aren't really used too much are stuff like lopuuny, manectric and tyranitar (so prepare for those or use them cause they are that good). I know theorymon is using a pretty kickass rain team though I haven't seen all that much rain in the high ladder (here's to hoping he's the first one there). I'm using a dual mega team of SD scizor and reflect alakazam; they do really well together (scizor works without mega if you need both). Reflect allows my set-up mons protection from stuff like sucker punch/aqua jet/Espeed and keep doing what they should be.

All in all a great ladder special and hope to see more people from smogon test it out and hopefully find some success!

Last edited:

Theorymon

I think if Metagross-Mega, Kangaskhan-Mega, and Pheromosa are banned, this will be a lot more fair. :D
Funnily enough, the core I fear the most actually involves Cresselia + Mega Heracross. This metagame has a pretty serious lack of good Flying STAB users compared to regular battle spot singles imo, so it can make Mega Heracross pretty difficult to OHKO.

That reminds me though, watch out for Vivillon. That thing is a sleep spreader extradonire against slower teams now that Tapu Koko is gone. I'm actually making a team around it myself to test later this weekend!

I think if Metagross-Mega, Kangaskhan-Mega, and Pheromosa are banned, this will be a lot more fair. :D
All 3 get pretty much walled by skarmory. Plus they all lose to sash infernape. Honestly, their presence isn't all that harsh to the meta. I find other stuff more threatening. Stuff like thundi-t and Dragonite.

Theorymon

Just a heads up folks: You got about 16 days until Global Link goes down for the USUM update! Im gonna post a rough viability list tomorrow night after class, but I know its a bit late, sorry about that! Took a while to get a handle on this metagame.

Anyways, this is where I'm at currently:

This team needs some fine tuning, but turns out: Nidoqueen is a really ferocious stall breaker, especially if you get it Horn Drill via an RBY transfer. I've been using it as a bulkier, more TR friendly version of Nidoking, and it's been doing quite well thus far!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)