SM Ubers Scarf Lele Psyspam HO (peaked Top 25, won RMT of the Week)

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Introduction
(This is my first RMT, and english is not my first language, so sorry if there is any errors or something looks confusing)
Hello, I'm Ropalme1914 and this my psyspam HO team. This team was originally based from another which my friend passed to me with Shattered Psyche Mewtwo and Magearna, but it needed lots of improvements like since this was an HO, Magearna is a huge momentum killer. So, the objective of the is lay down one Spike with Cloyster or use it to weaken some mon, then use Yveltal, Mence and Deoxys to break bulky mons like Lugia and Kyogre to allow Groudon and Deoxys to clean the game, pretty straight forward. I've got top 90 with two accounts on the ladder with this team, which I found is a decent success, especially considering that I think I could go even further. One thing that this team has that differentiates it from other Hyper Offenses is that Marshadow is not that much of a big deal, due to Psychic Terrain not allowing it to use Shadow Sneak, Salamence having Intimidate and the setups that this team have also increases speed, making it not being able to steal the boosts with Spectral Thief unless it's Sash, and that's pretty rare from what I found. So, let's go for the team:

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock

Tapu Lele of course is mandatory to any Psyspam team. Before, it was a Terrain Extender set with Taunt, but it really did not made much things aside from setuping terrain, so Scarf was put on it along with Focus Blast. Scarf allows it to catch things like Arceus and Marshadow, who thinks can come in after a free switch and setup a Swords Dance/revenge kill with Spectral Thief, and are caught off guard after being outspeed, expecting Terrain Extender Lele. It also can outspeed Rock Polish Primal Groudon at +2. Focus Blast is more of a filler, but can be handy against things like Arceus-Steel, dealing a solid 60% minimum damage, and Nature's Madness are for things take can take any attack from Lele like Magearna and Ho-Oh, weakining them before going down or forcing them to use some type of recovery and giving me a free switch. The two last moves are now HP Fire and Psyshock. Even if you're not clicking it that much since being locked with HP Fire is terrible, it can be useful to catch some things off guard like for Ferrothorn or on late game where it's not that risky anymore to click it. Psyshock in place of Nature's Madness because it basically meant that you needed to swtich after using it due to being locked, so Psyshock still can somewhat make the work, 2HKOing offensive Ho-Oh (always an OHKO after Rocks) and a guaranteed 3HKO on Defensive variants (Psychic is a roll after Leftovers). It's also better against 0 Speed GeoXerneas, but that's super uncommon. It's also your best move to hit Primal Kyogre, 2HKOing the Calm Mind variant.

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Deoxys-A is the real abuser of the Psychic Terrain, making it immune to priority, its biggest weakness, and nuking anything with Psycho Boost that does not resist it or are not immune. To show how strong that thing is, without any boosting item, Psycho Boost on Psychic Terrain has more than 50% chance to OHKO standard Arceus-Water, guaranteed after a mere 1 layer of spikes. It also has a 43% chance to OHKO defensive Primal Kyogre after one layer of Spikes. Ice Beam is the best option to catch Yveltal, who is immune to Psycho Boost, and hits 4x weak mons like Zygarde, Salamence and Rayquaza without a drawback, the latter two being super important since I cannot let them setup. Superpower hits Magearna for decent damage, who can be a problem for this team, some Arceus formes like Dark and Normal and Mega Lucario without affecting it Sp. Atk, making it able hit something with Psycho Boost again without the need to switch. Changed to Fire Punch, since it hits most of the targets for better damage without any drawback (Ferrothorn, Bronzong, Solgaleo, Magearna), while the other targets are already covered with Psycho Boost (Lucario, Kyurem-W. Ekiller now runs Chople Berry, making it pointless against it). The only real loss is Dialga. Knock Off provides utility while hitting psychic types for solid damage, like Solgaleo, Lunala and Mewtwo, who would be able to come for free otherwise, especially if Psychic Terrain is not up. Also, Extreme Speed would conflict with Psychic Terrain and it's not like this team would need that anyway. Focus Sash was chosen as item instead of Life Orb because the terrain already makes up for it most of the time, and can act as an emergency button if things like Xerneas are able to setup. Before it was Shattered Psyche Mewtwo here, but Psycho Boost hits for almost the same damage while being able to use multiples on the match, and of course hitting harder with every other move.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
Rash Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Yveltal has a great matchup vs Stall and can take care of things like Lugia, Ho-Oh, Groudon, Celesteela and others who could be trouble. There's not much to say about it except for Taunt, which makes it an exceptional Stallbreaker, stopping Chansey to spread Toxics, support Arceus from Recovering and countering any Lugia that lacks Ice Beam, while also making it not free setup for GeoXerneas. Despite this being a Psychic Terrain team, Sucker Punch is still good for revenge kills like Scarf Lunala and flying mons like Mega Salamence.

Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Cloyster is my favorite suicide lead for Ubers. Spikes is nice for getting KOs and pressuring even more defensive teams, forcing them to Defog, while breaking Lunala's Shadow Shield. It has the best matchup spread between the common leads on Ubers for me, since he defeats Excadrill after Shell Smash with Icicle Spear and cleans the hazards after, Smeargle either Nuzzles it and hope for a para since he is always OHKOed by unboosted Icicle Spear, or put Webs on the field just to be removed after the next turn, Deoxys-S lacking Psycho Boost takes a solid damage to Icicle Spear and you can just spam Rapid Spin and chip them to death if he tries to setup Rocks again, and Primal Groudon is pressured by Shell Smash, taking up to 64% to +2 Icicle Spear.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 152 HP / 236 Atk / 44 SpD / 76 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Rock Tomb

Ok, by suggestion of sassyaccident I made the change to Offensive SR, which allowed me to reach top 50. It still has most of the pros that I needed from Mixed RP, like dealing with Magearna and Celesteela, not letting Salamence and Rayquaza setup with Rock Tomb and being a check to Xerneas while now improving the matchup against Ho-Oh, Lugia and Lunala a lot due to the presence of Stealth Rock and Rock Tomb. The only downside was a slightly worse matchup against Arceus-Ground, but Rock Tomb makes Yveltal be able to deal with it. Arceus-Water also became a better matchup, since if weakned, it cannot switch in and just Recover anymore due to being slower than Pdon at -1 now.

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
EVs: 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 144 SpD / 64 Spe
Mild Nature
- Rock Polish
- Fire Blast
- Precipice Blades
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Primal Groudon is a pokémon that is so good that it is almost impossible to build a team without it. I choose the Mixed Rock Polish set due to them having the best matchup against most Arceus formes like Ground, outspeeding it after a RP and dealing a solid damage with Fire Blast, while HP Ice deals again with the already mentioned Rayquaza and Salamence. It also takes care of steel types like Magearna and Celesteela, who have great matchups against most of the team otherwise. It's also the only Pokémon of my team who can take a hit from +2 Xerneas, aside from the Focus Sash users. It's very easy to sweep with Primal Groudon on the late game, with it probably being the most important part of the team, even above Deoxys and Lele.

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Earthquake

Salamence is the last pokémon of the team. He's my best answer to most Groudons, and after one Dragon Dance, it will break something. Also, it can come to weaken some pokémon like Kyogre and Xerneas, who he outspeeds and use Double-Edge to take a great chunk of their health. Earthquake was choosen instead of Facade for hitting Magearna better and lacking recoil against Primal Groudon.

Conclusion
Hyper Offense is my favorite playstyle, but Marshadow really hurts its viability, so I'm happy with the results of this team. With careful play, you can win pretty easily against stall. Bulky Offense also do not offers much problem outside of Ho-Oh and things like Magearna. This team can struggle against Webs, so if the adversary saves his Smeargle or Shuckle, do not waste your Cloyster unless you are sure that they won't get any setup chances again. Also, hazard stacking can also be somewhat of a problem to this team, since Cloyster, my suicide lead, is the only hazard control this team has, only Salamence has recovery, but he is weak to rocks, and the hazards breaks Deoxys Sash, which is a problem if you cannot OHKO the opponent without the Life Orb. Magearna and Ho-Oh were the biggest problems I've found with this team, since only Groudon and Salamence hits Magearna really hard, and Salamence gets OHKOed by Fleur Cannon, and Ho-Oh is a problem due to the lack of Stealth Rock and rock moves on this team. While Salamence, Deoxys and Yveltal can deal with it, most of the time he enters the battle he can achieve a KO or weaken a Pokémon from my team. For that reason, I was thinking about switching Cloyster to Excadrill, but the lack of pressure that Excadrill has compared to Cloyster really does not pleases me. I was thinking about switching Roost to Facade on Salamence to take advantage from the burns, but residual damage without recovery and a SR weakness is not a great combination on my eyes. The change to Offensive SR Pdon really changed the team. Ho-Oh is not a problem anymore, since I have both a Rock move and SR on the team now. Stick Web is also not much of a problem now since hazard stacking with Stealth Rock and at least one layer of Spikes can force a Defog from the adversary, otherwise most of his pokémon will take a nice 25% every time they enter the battle. Magearna still can pressure the team, but at least Fire Punch is better to hit it than Precipice Blades or Fire Blast. If you don't play carefully, Lugia can also be a pain to defeat.

Special thanks to Aberforth and Lacus Clyne who really helped me with improving this team.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Fire Punch
- Knock Off

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
Rash Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Cloyster (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Shell Smash
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Tomb

Salamence-Mega (M) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Double-Edge
- Roost
- Earthquake

Last edited:
Good presentation, no doubt.
Well, the computer looks great, though I find it strange being a Psyspam with Cloyster not seeing SR on PDon. Maybe it's not a bad idea the bulky or offensive with SR. So the pressure will be greater. I agree that it is different from the rest of related teams, but you have to take into account Lunala Scarf. You only have Yveltal or Sash Deoxys. Darkceus CM + Refresh is dangerous but more covered. Ho-Oh etc. I like the idea of wearing Scarf Lele. And to include Cloyster vs Sticky should be no problem.

Defensive SR.
Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful / Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Roar
- Lava Plume

Offensive SR.
Groudon @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Tail / Fire Punch
- Stone Edge / Rock Tomb

Not bad where you've come, congratulations. A team based on that is complicated not only to play but to stay very high in ladder. It would have to be very complete or combine several strategies.

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Good presentation, no doubt.
Well, the computer looks great, though I find it strange being a Psyspam with Cloyster not seeing SR on PDon. Maybe it's not a bad idea the bulky or offensive with SR. So the pressure will be greater. I agree that it is different from the rest of related teams, but you have to take into account Lunala Scarf. You only have Yveltal or Sash Deoxys. Darkceus CM + Refresh is dangerous but more covered. Ho-Oh etc. I like the idea of wearing Scarf Lele. And to include Cloyster vs Sticky should be no problem.

Defensive SR.
Groudon @ Red Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful / Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Roar
- Lava Plume

Offensive SR.
Groudon @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Precipice Blades
- Dragon Tail / Fire Punch
- Stone Edge / Rock Tomb

Not bad where you've come, congratulations. A team based on that is complicated not only to play but to stay very high in ladder. It would have to be very complete or combine several strategies.
Ok, I've made the change to Offensive SR, and the team became much better. Ho-Oh is not as much of a problem now, and it came with a bonus of a little better matchup against GeoXerneas due to Fire Punch having 100% accuracy (Xerneas does not have much chance to setup against this team, but if it does, it can deal with 4 out of my 6 pokémon alone). With the change, I got top 50 on the ladder now.

Ropalme1914

Ace Poker Player
Ok, it's been some time, but the team got a small update, mostly by making it better in general than adapting to the meta (since it still works just fine, maybe even better now).

Changes:
Tapu Lele now uses Psyshock and HP Fire instead of Nature's Madness and Focus Blast. Psyshock hits Ho-Oh already (even better actually against offensive variants) and it's actually a good move to be locked instead of Nature's Madness, and also hits other targets like Primal Kyogre. HP Fire also hits most things that Focus Blast do without a shaky accuracy.

Deoxys-A now uses Fire Punch instead of Superpower. Honestly, idk if there's much reason to run Superpower these days, Fire Punch hits most targets like Ferrothorn and Magearna for a better damage without reducing your Attack after, making 2HKOes more consistent. Dialga is the only real reason to use it that I can think from the top of my head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)