Monotype Sandy Dune Mono-Ground Hyper Offense

In your opinion, what is the best Monotype type?

• Total voters

SANDY DUNE HYPER OFFENSE

This is a great mono-ground team I've been using for a while, it's won me tournies, many ladder games, and independent challenges. Ground has a great matchup this generation, as types like psychic and fairy rule the metagame. Excadrill destroys both. Even ice type, which used to be a complete stopper of ground, can now be beaten by ground by playing smart with reversal dugtrio. Feel free to use this team if you like it; and allow me to explain the tech behind this work of art.

LADDER PEAK:

COMING SOON (Currently I'm 20-1 in win/loss :D)

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS:

I started out with a standard core of Hippowdon and Excadrill. These two complement each other well, as they create a hazard/removal core as well as a deadly offensive core. Choice Band Sand Rush Excadrill cuts through both psychic and fairy teams, as well as flying, dragon, normal, poison, ice... The list goes on and on.

I added dugtrio next, of course. Dugtrio is capable of removing some of the few pokemon that slip through the cracks of an excadrill sweep. it also beats greninja, an enormous threat to my team. If I didn't have Dugtrio, Greninja basically just wins with Ice beam.

Mamoswine was a great choice, since my team lacked a priority, and a good answer to mono-flying, which resists all of my main stabs. It also has a powerful Choice Band Knock Off, which puts instant pressure onto mono-psychic, and mono-ghost.

I knew Garchomp would be on my team, since it's a great sand abuser with Sand Force, making it's Earthquake powered up to 130. This is an exceptional wallbreaker, and it does well against mono-water, since few water teams carry resists to it's two main stab moves.

I choose Landorus as my final pokemon. It is one of the few ubers allowed in monotype, and it is insanely good. With Sheer Force and Life Orb, Landorus is a great wallbreaker that OHKOs skarmory with a Focus Blast after rocks. It's sludge wave also helps defeat mono-grass, as it is a very spammable move against types that are weak to it.

SET EXPLANATION:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

This is a pretty standard rocks hippowdon. This pokemon is generally used for setting sand for Excadrill, setting up rocks, and walling and whirlwinding defensive sweepers. There's nothing super special about this Hippowdon, it carries leftovers for constant recovery, and slack off helps it's longevity.

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

This is a Sand Rush sweeping Excadrill, it can serve as a sweep-stopper, and early game team wear downer, a late game sweeper, and even removal. Iron Head and Earthquake are Excadrill's two main stabs, which together hit every single type at least normal effective, making this Adamant Choice Band sweeper very threatening. In a sandstorm, Scarf Keldeo does is outsped by Adamant Excadrill, making jolly essentially pointless.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
IVs: 28 HP / 2 Def
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Wave

Here is a very unique Dugtrio. For starters, sludge wave is meant to 2HKO Tapu Bulu, a huge threat to mono-ground. It has minimum defense stats for two reasons: One, so that Tapu Bulu's Horn Leech regains as little health as possible, and two, so it's sash will activate almost all of the time, making reversal a 200 power move. Reversal helps deal with Kyurem Black, Greninja, and mono-ice. Earthquake is dugtrio's main and only stab move, so it's completely neccissary. Sucker Punch is a helpful second priority move on the team, allowing me to trap and revenge kill many mono-psychic pokemon.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Mamoswine is my answer to mono-flying and mono-dragon, since Adamant Band Ice Shard OHKOs half the members on both teams. Icicle Crash and Earthquake are Mamoswine's two main stabs, and Knock Off allows mamoswine to punish anything that switches in on it, including dark resists and other pokemon that resist Mamosine's stabs. Adamant is better than Jolly in this case, as I find myself using Ice Shard 90% of the time anyway.

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Mega Garchomp is a great bulky wallbreaker, with no pokemon resisting the combination of Dragon, Ground, and Fire. Garchomp reliably puts on offensive pressure as well as being bulky enough to wall water type attacks, which no other pokemon on my team can. Garchomp has incredible offensive pressure, and it even baits in pokemon like Skarmory and Ferrothorn that otherwise wall Garchomp.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Slide
- Gravity

Landorus has an incredible ability of Sheer Force, combined with a Life Orb, giving Landorus the ability to use a very powerful Earth Power, as well as gaining extra power on other moves. Sludge Wave helps Landorus deal with mono-grass, and Focus Blast allows Lando to OHKO most variants of ferrothorn, as well as bring Skarmory down to it's Sturdy. Rock Slide allows Lando to OHKO Mega Charizard-Y, which is a huge threat to this team otherwise.

REPLAYS:

Dealing with Mono-Ice: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-642303964

Dealing with Mono-Water: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-642719496

Dealing with Mono-Grass: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-642725191

MORE COMING SOON

IMPORTABLE:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Slide
- Gravity

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Wave

ENDING THANKS:

Thanks for looking at my thread, please leave a comment and let me know how you like the team! Feel free to use the team if you like it!

THREAD COMMENT REPLIES:

1.) Thank you smub for your comments and advice. I will certainly consider your advice, but it is advice I have heard before. Believe it or not, bringing Seismitoad will actually make me more weak to Greninja than before. You see, my only chance to beat Scarf Greninja is to trap it with Dugtrio, and hit it with the reversal. As for Garchomp, while I agree there are scenarios in which Dragonium-Z would be better, usually I need instant power and bulk. This team lacks a pokemon that can take a hit and then hit hard back, since the only other non-frail pokemon on the team is Hippowdon, which rarely finds itself doing massive damage.

2.) Lotus Wincon, thank you for your rate! I will have to refuse your idea of seisitoad for the same reasons as smub's rate, but; as for Gravity Landorus: I LOVE IT! I didn't even think about how useful Gravity Landorus was on a mono-ground team! However, contrary to replacing rock slide, (which is my best and only answer to Mega Charizard-Y), I will replace Focus Blast. I only use Focus Blast when hitting things I can now hit with Gravity, some examples being: Skarmory, Celesteela, mandibuzz, Air Baloon Heatran. The only real loss to replacing Focus Blast is Ferrothorn, which is not a threat due to Garchomp. Let me know if I should be keeping blast!

3.) Thank you The Excadrill, for your amazing rate! I will definately input most of your changes instantly! I will change the Garchomp set, and the Dugtrio set. As for switching out Seismitoad for Mamoswine, I will definately consider. It is true I am weak to water, and I have yet to beat it. I hope that Garchomp spamming Draco Meteor will be enough, however. Mamoswine currently gives me the great edge over other mono-ground teams, as well as dragon and flying. However, I suppose seismitoad would be a good asset as well. I will test Seismitoad on the ladder and make the change if it works. Thank you for your rate! :)

UPDATE: I have tested Seismitoad. It works well against water, but sucks other than that. Overall, Mamoswine is better.

4.) Thank you, I will change my Dugtrio immediatly.

Last edited:
I'm more than content with lying to myself :)

Also this definitely seems like a really nice team, but I have a few suggestions that could help improve it:

>
or

As of right now your team is going to have an incredibly rough time dealing with Fairy not only because of Tapu Bulu, but because of Azumarill as well. With Seismitoad to serve as the Water immunity, this will greatly improve both the Fairy matchup and the Water matchup. It's better than Gastrodon simply because of its better offensive presence and the fact that Gastrodon can't really beat Azumarill after it Belly Drums. Additionally, it helps a lot against Greninja, which was described in the teambuilding process as an important threat. For a set, you can go with this:

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs / Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Hydro Pump / Scald

An extra thing to note, the 176 Speed with Timid lets it outspeed Adamant Tapu Bulu. And out of the 2 Pokemon you can potentially replace, I'd lean more towards Dugtrio myself, since you appear to have enough counterplay for Tapu Bulu as is, and Mamoswine as mentioned is an incredible force in the Dragon and Flying matchups.

Dragonium Z Garchomp > Mega Garchomp: Regular Garchomp is generally more reliable as a wallbreaker than Mega Garchomp thanks to its higher Speed tier and being able to run a Z-Crystal to break past its usual defensive checks like Slowbro and Gliscor much more effectively. Mega Garchomp's superior bulk is a notable asset, but in most situations, SD Z-move Garchomp will be more reliable. For a set, try going with this:

Garchomp @ Dragonium Z
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Fang
- Swords Dance

I hope these suggestions help

Also this definitely seems like a really nice team, but I have a few suggestions that could help improve it:

As of right now your team is going to have an incredibly rough time dealing with Fairy not only because of Tapu Bulu, but because of Azumarill as well. With Seismitoad to serve as the Water immunity, this will greatly improve both the Fairy matchup and the Water matchup. It's better than Gastrodon simply because of its better offensive presence and the fact that Gastrodon can't really beat Azumarill after it Belly Drums.
Yes azu is a threat, which is one reason to run seis over gastrodon. The MAIN reason is for a water immunity. Why would you want to autolose to literally any water type.

Also some other grievances:

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off --> Superpower

Superpower is amazing in the steel matchup, since nothing switches in after stealth rock. It also aids in breaking chansey/porygon

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Slide ---> Gravity
- Focus Blast

Considering your main wallbreaker is banded excadrill, which can ohko the likes of keldeo after stealth rock, gravity is an amazing option, alowing excadrill to ko threats with eq it once wasnt able to hit like skarmory and zapdos. It also gives dugtrio the ability to trap celesteela with gravity + earthquake with arena trap.

Sd Chomp is amazing and breaks through so much its rediculous. Theres zero reason not to run it. If youd like to run mega chomp, its niche is in a 4 attacks mixed wallbreaker set with edge+quake, fire blast, draco

4. Adamant bulu isnt really a relevent enough outspeed worth running. Enough speed for jolly azumarill should suffice. I prefer a more bulky seis spread that takes on the likes of scarf gren a bit better and lives a grass knot from even specs tapu koko:

Seismitoad @ Assault Vest
EVs: 80 HP / 108 SpA / 176 SpD / 144 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Knock Off / Grass Knot

252 SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Grass Knot (80 BP) vs. 80 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Seismitoad: 292-344 (78.7 - 92.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 80 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Seismitoad: 156-185 (42 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 80 HP / 176 SpD Assault Vest Seismitoad: 85-102 (22.9 - 27.4%) -- 59.8% chance to 4HKO

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
SANDY DUNE HYPER OFFENSE

This is a great mono-ground team I've been using for a while, it's won me tournies, many ladder games, and independent challenges. Ground has a great matchup this generation, as types like psychic and fairy rule the metagame. Excadrill destroys both. Even ice type, which used to be a complete stopper of ground, can now be beaten by ground by playing smart with reversal dugtrio. Feel free to use this team if you like it; and allow me to explain the tech behind this work of art.

LADDER PEAK:

COMING SOON

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS:

I started out with a standard core of Hippowdon and Excadrill. These two complement each other well, as they create a hazard/removal core as well as a deadly offensive core. Choice Band Sand Rush Excadrill cuts through both psychic and fairy teams, as well as flying, dragon, normal, poison, ice... The list goes on and on.

I added dugtrio next, of course. Dugtrio is capable of removing some of the few pokemon that slip through the cracks of an excadrill sweep. it also beats greninja, an enormous threat to my team. If I didn't have Dugtrio, Greninja basically just wins with Ice beam.

Mamoswine was a great choice, since my team lacked a priority, and a good answer to mono-flying, which resists all of my main stabs. It also has a powerful Choice Band Knock Off, which puts instant pressure onto mono-psychic, and mono-ghost.

I knew Garchomp would be on my team, since it's a great sand abuser with Sand Force, making it's Earthquake powered up to 130. This is an exceptional wallbreaker, and it does well against mono-water, since few water teams carry resists to it's two main stab moves.

I choose Landorus as my final pokemon. It is one of the few ubers allowed in monotype, and it is insanely good. With Sheer Force and Life Orb, Landorus is a great wallbreaker that OHKOs skarmory with a Focus Blast after rocks. It's sludge wave also helps defeat mono-grass, as it is a very spammable move against types that are weak to it.

SET EXPLANATION:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

This is a pretty standard rocks hippowdon. This pokemon is generally used for setting sand for Excadrill, setting up rocks, and walling and whirlwinding defensive sweepers. There's nothing super special about this Hippowdon, it carries leftovers for constant recovery, and slack off helps it's longevity.

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

This is a Sand Rush sweeping Excadrill, it can serve as a sweep-stopper, and early game team wear downer, a late game sweeper, and even removal. Iron Head and Earthquake are Excadrill's two main stabs, which together hit every single type at least normal effective, making this Adamant Choice Band sweeper very threatening. In a sandstorm, Scarf Keldeo does is outsped by Adamant Excadrill, making jolly essentially pointless.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 1 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Sludge Wave
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal

Here is a very unique Dugtrio. For starters, sludge wave is meant to 2HKO Tapu Bulu, a huge threat to mono-ground. It has minimum defense stats for two reasons: One, so that Tapu Bulu's Horn Leech regains as little health as possible, and two, so it's sash will activate almost all of the time, making reversal a 200 power move. Reversal helps deal with Kyurem Black, Greninja, and mono-ice. Earthquake is dugtrio's main and only stab move, so it's completely neccissary. Sucker Punch is a helpful second priority move on the team, allowing me to trap and revenge kill many mono-psychic pokemon.

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Mamoswine is my answer to mono-flying and mono-dragon, since Adamant Band Ice Shard OHKOs half the members on both teams. Icicle Crash and Earthquake are Mamoswine's two main stabs, and Knock Off allows mamoswine to punish anything that switches in on it, including dark resists and other pokemon that resist Mamosine's stabs. Adamant is better than Jolly in this case, as I find myself using Ice Shard 90% of the time anyway.

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance

Mega Garchomp is a great bulky wallbreaker, with no pokemon resisting the combination of Dragon, Ground, and Fire. Garchomp reliably puts on offensive pressure as well as being bulky enough to wall water type attacks, which no other pokemon on my team can. Garchomp has incredible offensive pressure, and it even baits in pokemon like Skarmory and Ferrothorn that otherwise wall Garchomp.

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Slide
- Focus Blast

Landorus has an incredible ability of Sheer Force, combined with a Life Orb, giving Landorus the ability to use a very powerful Earth Power, as well as gaining extra power on other moves. Sludge Wave helps Landorus deal with mono-grass, and Focus Blast allows Lando to OHKO most variants of ferrothorn, as well as bring Skarmory down to it's Sturdy. Rock Slide allows Lando to OHKO Mega Charizard-Y, which is a huge threat to this team otherwise.

REPLAYS:

Dealing with Mono-Ice: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-642303964

MORE COMING SOON

IMPORTABLE:

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Blast
- Swords Dance

Mamoswine @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Rock Slide
- Focus Blast

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
IVs: 1 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Sludge Wave
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Reversal

ENDING THANKS:

Thanks for looking at my thread, please leave a comment and let me know how you like the team! Feel free to use the team if you like it!
Hey Pinkacross, nice team. I just have a few suggestions that I hope you find helpful.

>

Like smub said Seismitoad is a must but I just want to say that Dugtrio isn't the team slot to give up, Mamoswine is. The reason being is Gravity+Dugtrio can allow it to take care of very troublesome threats to the Ground monotype like namely Celesteela and Rotom-Wash. This saying Dugtrio also commonly runs Sludge Wave to take care of Bulu which chips it around 60%, which is very nice considering how much Tapu Bulu, especially the scarf variant threatens Ground teams. While Mamoswine can semi do what Dugtrio can under Gravity however the key difference being Arena Trap, which prevents switching, this makes it reliably revenge kill those threats. Anyway that is the reason I believe Mamoswine is the one to be replaced by Seismitoad.

Seismitoad @ Choice Specs
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SpA / 100 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Grass Knot

While the Seismitoad EV spread Smub made is ok, its just generally not very good anymore. Most Tapu Bulu including Band and SD run the Jolly Nature making 250 speed quite useless. The spread on Seismitoad always Knocks out Azumarill behind screens with 1 Sludge Wave and round of sand chip. The 100 speed allows Seismitoad to outpace Rotom-Wash by 1 point and the most important threat Azumarill which it should always outspeed and be able to kill behind screens at 50%. Orelse if your are slower you pretty much click x against Azumarill.

Hippowdon's move spread is the most optimal set though Max HP/Max Def isn't the best EV spread for Hippowdon I would suggest instead running 248 HP / 144+ Def / 116 SpD. This allows Hippowdon to live 3 HP Ice from Tapu Koko, 1 Solarbeam from Mega Charizard Y, can live 2 Giga Drain's from Celesteela after Leftovers recovery, etc. The point is it allows Hippowdon to more easily spunge attacks from opposing special threats.
Hippowdon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Whirlwind

252+ SpA Celesteela Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 116 SpD Hippowdon: 178-210 (42.3 - 50%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Charizard-Mega-Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 116 SpD Hippowdon: 344-406 (81.9 - 96.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Landorus (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave
- Gravity

This is the standard Landorus-I set and for a good reason. Excadrill in Sand appreciates being able to hit everything and not care about a Ground immunity making it very hard to wall without a physically defensive resistant Grass-type. Earth Power + Sludge Wave just break Fairy and make Landorus very hard to switch into. Focus Blast namely hits pokemon like Ferrothorn that can't be fucked by Earth Power and annoy Landorus with Leech Seed spam or Air Balloon offensive Heatran outside of gravity. Overall I would recommend always having Gravity Landorus on your Ground-type builds.

As Smub already stated, Dragonium Z regular chomp can be used over this especially with Sand+Sand Veil. However since you want to use Mega Garchomp, lets optimize this sets. First of all SD Fire Blast is just whack. Ill give you 2 options to use. One set being Specially Oriented Mixed Wallbreaker Mega Garchomp the other being SD Mega Garchomp.
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Fang

or

Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

The SD Chomp set uses Fire Fang over Fire Blast which allows it to actually take advantage of its Swords Dance boosts. The mixed Garchomp is leaned towards special attack invest so its moves like Fire Blast and Draco Meteor actually can do damage given that Mega Garchomp is not blessed with very good Special Attack. Stone Edge+EQ already get boosted by Sand+Sand Force and Garchomp's excellent attack stat so they still hit very hard.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Wave

The Dugtrio IVs were kind of weird, so here a better set. 28 HP IV's directly bring it to 208 HP, which after 2 Seismic Toss bring it down to just 8. This maximizes Dugtrio's Reversal, technically this is not needed and super optimal however it is very nice. 2 Defense IV's ensures that Dugtrio picks up the kill on Ditto each time with Earthquake.

New Team: http://pokepast.es/c8dfe239a1dbd42f

Overall I hope my ratings helped and clarified some of the earlier rates. Good Luck with the new and improved team! n_n

Edit: Oops forgot to change Dugtrio's nature to Naive, my b. But still use the IV spread I gave, not Wincons.

Last edited:
A couple grievences on iExca's Post:

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
IVs: 28 HP / 2 Def ---> 17 Def
Jolly Nature ---> Hasty Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Wave

This gives you the same benefits that running those defense iv's from the previous set gives, while giving you a slight boost in damage on sludge wave. (Maybe it'll matter in a game)

2. Ayyyy random 2 hp ev's on chomp! :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)