Rockruff, Lycanroc (Midday and Midnight) Discussion

The midday form appears pretty threatening great speed, good attack and swords dance. I could see it being a decent UU. Lack of coverage to hit Steel types really hinder it though. Rock type priorty can hit many of the pokemon thats faster than it for a super effective hit. The midnight form looks way cooler but I dont think its going to be as viable due to lack of speed.
Well, it does get Fire Fang and Brick Break.

For Midnight form I could see this
Adamant No-Guard/focus sash 252 atk/speed
Rock polish/taunt
Stone edge
Reversal/counter
Thunder fang/sucker punch/crunch

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Most Midday sets I can imagine seeing:

Lycanroc-Midday @ Focus Sash
Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Brick Break
- Fire Fang

Other options:
- Accelrock (duh...)
- Other elemental fangs
- Crunch
- Toxic
- ...Snarl?

Really not a lot to it, is there?
EDIT: Rock Z-move, and taunt are also options

Very obvious the guys at GF liked Midday more...they didn't even try to balance them straight up gave one better stats and a signature move and said Oh well to the other.

Very obvious the guys at GF liked Midday more...they didn't even try to balance them straight up gave one better stats and a signature move and said Oh well to the other.
I'm hopeful that tutors will give midnight some elemental punches. Hopefully accelrock is made to be an egg move. But for now he'll just be a rock polishing no-guard reversal doge

Missed Earthquake but still has Brick Break and Sucker Punch. Not the Lucario I expected, but not even Decidueye

It doesn't make sense why it doesn't get Earthquake. Its lack of consistent moves alone relegate it to lower tiers

It doesn't make sense why it doesn't get Earthquake. Its lack of consistent moves alone relegate it to lower tiers
They could have at least given it to Midnight, so it would have some sort of edge. I mean, I was sure that, since it was standing upright, that it would get a lot of Fighting moves Midday didn't, but nope, just Counter and Reversal. Cross Chop, GF. You could have at least given it that.

When i first saw Midnight form I was ready to laugh/scoff at an uncreative typing like rock/dark... But now i see that rock/dark would have totally saved this pokemon from being similar but inferior to midday form and from being mediocre in general

112 speed is nice, along with a good 115 attack. This mon is just like Arcanine V.1, very mediocre selection of coverage.
The Midday form is easily the better form, not to mention this form has a priority Rock Type move giving it a nice niche in picking faster mons.

The Midnight form screams meh. Negligible added bulk at the cost of Lycanroc's precious speed. No Guard Stone Edge is fun, though doesn't warrant using this over it's Midday form.

Based on my very limited knowledge(I'm a casual who loves the concepts of pokemon tiers :) I can see Midday being Low-Mid UU while Midnight being low UU to High RU. But then again I'm a guy who would bring a Haxorus to an Ubers match soooooo.

Call me crazy, but I'm more impressed with Choice Scarf No Guard Midnight Form than I am with anything the day form has to offer. An unmissible STAB Stone Edge with not so awful bulk seems frightening for opponents in lower tiers.

eh the extra bulk is marginal especially on a rock type, choice scarf is nice but at 115 attack and no life orb/choice band you dont really have the damage to kill anything neutrally

Call me crazy, but I'm more impressed with Choice Scarf No Guard Midnight Form than I am with anything the day form has to offer. An unmissible STAB Stone Edge with not so awful bulk seems frightening for opponents in lower tiers.
Personally I'm gonna utilize no guard reversals and rock polish with this thing holding a sash. The website does state it likes taking hits and destroying opponents in one blow. ;)

The Midnight form is going absolutely nowhere, I feel.
The Midday form has potential to be a high tier stalwart, what with the prevalence of weather coming back into the fold.
It sits in a nice speed tier, just creeping ahead of the Latis, and M-Diancie, although he doesn't have much to hit them with.
Accelerock is looking to be an excellent priority move, and quick rocks are always a good time, but aside from those, its movepool is lacking - it could do with Earthquake, for example.

Oh hey, GF is wisening up and realizing Ice and Rock are NOT defensive types. Finally, a glass cannon rock type that can actually outspeed important pokemon, has a just wide enough move pool, and even a little bit of ability to support its team. Good on ya, GF.

I knew, the second that Midday form got Accelrock and Midnight form got....Counter, that Game Freak didn't care at all about Midnight form. Which is ry upsetting, because out of the two it's my favorite, and clearly the more creatively designed. So why did they make it suck? Why make two forms of the same evolution, with a unique premise, but make one so obviously inferior to the other?

I like midnight lycanroc. will probably run a banded set with it for some good times. :) midday too though since it's obviously superior.

This is the kind of set that I think Game Freak had in mind for this guy. I.E. turning your opponent's own aggression against them. You can switch out one of the moves for Stone Edge if you like.

Lycanroc-Midnight @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
Jolly Nature
- Swagger
- Taunt
- Reversal/Counter
- Sucker Punch/Stone Edge

Alternatively, you could run him as a suicide lead.

Lycanroc-Midnight @ Focus Sash
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Roar

If you could get a Swords Dance off on Midday, it seems like it would be a fun one to mess around with in UU (which is where I feel like it will end up). Not amazing by any means, but beyond Aerodactyl, is their any naturally fast user of STAB Stone Edge? Okay, Archeops, but let me know when it loses Defeatist. Midday just tips out the 110 speed tier, and with 115 base attack, even neutral Stone Edges won't be fun to take, especially after a SD. I'm thinking:

Lycanroc-Midday @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
Jolly Nature
Swords Dance
Stone Edge
Crunch / Sucker Punch
Brick Break / Elemental Fang

Life Orb if you think you can find an opportunity to safely Swords Dance. It doesn't use Accelerock, but it seems like it could be decently fun to use with it's speed. Alternatively it could be decent revenge killer with a Choice Band, and replace Swords Dance with Accelerock or extra coverage. I'm not really sure what either of the elemental fangs would hit harder than a neutral STAB Stone Edge in UU, but somebody more familiar with the tier could probably say what the coverage would help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)