Gen 3 Rate my offensive ADV OU team

The kind of gimmick of my team is that it has a core of four pokemon who are:
physically attacking/physically defensive(Tyranitar)
physically attacking/specially defensive(Metagross)
specially attacking/physically defensive(Moltres)
specially attacking/specially defensive(Zapdos)
For those 4 pokemon besides Metagross, I just eyeballed the EV's of their defending and HP stats
I'm new to ADV OU and this is my first team that feels "good."

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Just a very offensive, more-than-averagely physically defensive Tyranitar with four attacking types that compliment each other, including hp flying which fills the other types' neutrality against grass and fighting and surprises the opponent, and is especially useful for predicting a switch-into Breloom

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Agility

A very offensive, more-than-averagely specially defensive Zapdos. Thunderbolt to use its high special attack, Baton Pass+Agility is an extremely valuable utility to make up for my team mostly sacrificing speed for both high attacking and defending stats, HP ice is obviously an amazing coverage move on Zapdos, kind of completing an trio of answers to different threats: Hit most things with thunderbolt, hit Zapdos/Salamence/Celebi/Claydol with HP ice, agillity while predicting a switch in to something Zapdos doesn't want to face then definitely outspeed it and never take a hit while baton passing agillity to the counter

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 124 HP / 132 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Overheat

Moltres is the supposed special attacker+physical defender. It has Flamethrower as a default attacking move, Will-O-Wisp to EXTRA counter the physical attackers it's meant to counter, HP Grass to counter the water types that threaten it, Overheat to score critical OHKO's and when it expects to switch out the turn after anyway

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Shadow Ball

Metagross fills the role of the physical Attacker/special Defender although it has a higher Defense than Special Densense. It has Meteor Mash as a standard attacking move, Earthquake for coverage, explosion to combine with its extremely high attack to be extremely likely to OHKO anything if I just need to delete any of my opponent's pokemon, Shadow Ball to counter Gengar when Moltres can't, because my team is really vulnerable to Will-O-Wisp and it happens to counter Moltres better, the move that counters Gengar on this pokemon because even if it's burned it can still do decent damage and eventually explode

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 24 HP / 180 Atk / 72 SpD / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide

Very standard Dugtrio, idk what the EV's are for, I just took them from pikalytics.com. It adds a pokemon to my team besides Tyranitar that's immune to sandstorm and a pokemon with a high speed stat for cases when that's necessary, a resistance to rock and electric to help balance my team's weakness to those types(Zapdos/Moltres/Cloyster weak to rock vs Metagross resists it, Moltres weak to electric), and since my core of 4 pokemon are each kind of just meant to counter one specific thing, Arena trap can break out of switch-in cycles, plus STAB earthquake is nice

Cloyster @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 122 Def / 76 SpA / 42 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes

Spike Setter/Remover with a water-resisting typing that my team lacks otherwise, Ice beam to do consistent damage, max HP to utilize its high defense, against Swampert: It outspeeds 252 Spe Swampert, gets 4HKO'd instead of 3HKO'd by Hydro Pump, and it is 97.7% likely to 2HKO it with HP grass according to the showdown Damage Calculator. The remaining Evs are put into Defense so its +Def nature boosts its defense more.

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
1. I don't see any special synergy between most members of this team. Aside from the combination of Zapdos + Dugtrio, this team seems to me like a random collection of 6 OU pokemon. It's usually a good idea to team-build with a specific gameplan in mind, I don't see anything of the sort here.
For example, a common gameplan for Zapdos + Dugtrio teams is to trap Blissey so that special attackers can go wild.

2. The EV spreads on Tyranitar, Zapdos and Moltres seem to be completely random. Unless you have a benchmark in mind, it's usually better to run 252/252/4 EV spreads. If you had no benchmarks in mind when making the spreads, I recommend changing them to the ones mentioned below.

CB Tyranitar should always run Max Attack and Speed, Agility Pass Zapdos is usually best off running the spread in its Smogon analysis and Moltres is usually optimal with Max Special Attack and Speed.

3. Since you are leading with CB Tyranitar and running Brick Break, I recommend giving it a Jolly nature and 252 Speed EVs so that you can outrun and 0hko opposing lead Tyranitar.

4. Replace HP Flying on CB Tar with Double Edge. DE hits Claydol and Swampert neutrally while also 0hkoing Breloom.

5. Moltres isn't a very good physical wall in gen 3 OU because most physical sweepers run rock coverage(such as Aero, DD Tar, DD Mence, Heracross, some AgiliGross etc.). It fails to counter the majority of physical attackers because of this. You should run a different physical wall and just let it be a special attacker.

6. Gen 3 OU mandates at least one bulky rock resist with Leftovers on all but the most aggressive teams to deal with DD Tar and Aero. In this case, I reccomend running Leftovers and bulk investment on Metagross(see Smogon analysis-Bulky Attacker) or straight up replacing it with defensive or offensive Swampert.

7. If you do run CB Metagross(which I don't recommend), replace Shadow Ball with Rock Slide or Double Edge. It hits nothing that your other moves don't hit harder except Gengar. You shouldn't be using Metagross against WOW Gengar anyways.

8. You badly need more special bulk and and a switchin to WOW Gengar. I recommend replacing either Zapdos or Moltres with Blissey or Defensive Celebi (or if you prefer an offensive team, use Snorlax/Regice and find a different way around WOW Gar).

9. Run Explosion on Cloyster over maybe HP Grass or Rapid Spin. Also, it is a bad water resist because it loses 1v1 to offensive water types that carry Electric coverage. If you want to beat offensive waters, run Blissey or Celebi.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The kind of gimmick of my team is that it has a core of four pokemon who are:
physically attacking/physically defensive(Tyranitar)
physically attacking/specially defensive(Metagross)
specially attacking/physically defensive(Moltres)
specially attacking/specially defensive(Zapdos)
For those 4 pokemon besides Metagross, I just eyeballed the EV's of their defending and HP stats
I'm new to ADV OU and this is my first team that feels "good."

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Just a very offensive, more-than-averagely physically defensive Tyranitar with four attacking types that compliment each other, including hp flying which fills the other types' neutrality against grass and fighting and surprises the opponent, and is especially useful for predicting a switch-into Breloom

Zapdos @ Leftovers
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Baton Pass
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Agility

A very offensive, more-than-averagely specially defensive Zapdos. Thunderbolt to use its high special attack, Baton Pass+Agility is an extremely valuable utility to make up for my team mostly sacrificing speed for both high attacking and defending stats, HP ice is obviously an amazing coverage move on Zapdos, kind of completing an trio of answers to different threats: Hit most things with thunderbolt, hit Zapdos/Salamence/Celebi/Claydol with HP ice, agillity while predicting a switch in to something Zapdos doesn't want to face then definitely outspeed it and never take a hit while baton passing agillity to the counter

Moltres @ Leftovers
EVs: 124 HP / 132 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Overheat

Moltres is the supposed special attacker+physical defender. It has Flamethrower as a default attacking move, Will-O-Wisp to EXTRA counter the physical attackers it's meant to counter, HP Grass to counter the water types that threaten it, Overheat to score critical OHKO's and when it expects to switch out the turn after anyway

Metagross @ Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Shadow Ball

Metagross fills the role of the physical Attacker/special Defender although it has a higher Defense than Special Densense. It has Meteor Mash as a standard attacking move, Earthquake for coverage, explosion to combine with its extremely high attack to be extremely likely to OHKO anything if I just need to delete any of my opponent's pokemon, Shadow Ball to counter Gengar when Moltres can't, because my team is really vulnerable to Will-O-Wisp and it happens to counter Moltres better, the move that counters Gengar on this pokemon because even if it's burned it can still do decent damage and eventually explode

Dugtrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 24 HP / 180 Atk / 72 SpD / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Bug]
- Aerial Ace
- Rock Slide

Very standard Dugtrio, idk what the EV's are for, I just took them from pikalytics.com. It adds a pokemon to my team besides Tyranitar that's immune to sandstorm and a pokemon with a high speed stat for cases when that's necessary, a resistance to rock and electric to help balance my team's weakness to those types(Zapdos/Moltres/Cloyster weak to rock vs Metagross resists it, Moltres weak to electric), and since my core of 4 pokemon are each kind of just meant to counter one specific thing, Arena trap can break out of switch-in cycles, plus STAB earthquake is nice

Cloyster @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 122 Def / 76 SpA / 42 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes

Spike Setter/Remover with a water-resisting typing that my team lacks otherwise, Ice beam to do consistent damage, max HP to utilize its high defense, against Swampert: It outspeeds 252 Spe Swampert, gets 4HKO'd instead of 3HKO'd by Hydro Pump, and it is 97.7% likely to 2HKO it with HP grass according to the showdown Damage Calculator. The remaining Evs are put into Defense so its +Def nature boosts its defense more.
Not much synergy yea, also, another weak swampert team. I like the idea of hp grass, but rarely perts will stay in, especially when the opponent notices the unfathomable value it has vs your team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)