Rap/Hiphop thread

Didnt see one of these. As an avid fan of the rap+hiphop genres I want to share music with peeps. reply with whatever shit you like. Ill start off with a selection of my favorite stuff. also if you are new to this music and want to ask questions you should and if you want good albums just start a convo with a poster. Try to keep posts to specific songs and then some context if you want.

below are some songs to kick this off

Last edited:
First I saw Kanye for the first one and was like "nah this person dont know hip-hop/rap" then I saw Jesus and knew it was the good old Kanye. My nig.

But that new Kendrick is all Ive been listening to even though its old now, that along side J. Cole. You've got a lot of good mentions in there. The current rap game is represented very poorly right now with all the "rappers" that say stuff that makes no sense on a nice beat and people who deserved to win awards but aren't. Then there are people who say iggy azalea is a actual rapper. Like I said rap culture is very bad right now, very few good rappers.

My list of go to people(for rap): J. Cole, K Lamar, Nas, Old Kanye, A$AP Mob(although they arent all good), Earl Sweatshirt, Childish Gambino(his style is unique imo), and I recently heard of this guy Cozz on a track with Cole so I think Ill check him out in the future. I will be honest and say I also listen to Drake SOMETIMES.

I also love to listen to R&B and stuff like that, I cant judge this as much but I really like: The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Miguel, Bruno Mars(his Pop is great too), and Im pretty sure Sam Smith is R&B, havent heard much of him but boy o boy can that dude sing.

So thats my rap rant/stuff I like. Can include some tracks if someone wants some for anyone that I mentioned.

EDIT: Cant believe I forgot to mention vince omg Im sorry, vince goes in too

Last edited:
First I saw Kanye for the first one and was like "nah this person dont know hip-hop/rap" then I saw Jesus and knew it was the good old Kanye. My nig.

But that new Kendrick is all Ive been listening to even though its old now, that along side J. Cole. You've got a lot of good mentions in there. The current rap game is represented very poorly right now with all the "rappers" that say stuff that makes no sense on a nice beat and people who deserved to win awards but aren't. Then there are people who say iggy azalea is a actual rapper. Like I said rap culture is very bad right now, very few good rappers.

My list of go to people(for rap): J. Cole, K Lamar, Nas, Old Kanye, A$AP Mob(although they arent all good), Earl Sweatshirt, Childish Gambino(his style is unique imo), and I recently heard of this guy Cozz on a track with Cole so I think Ill check him out in the future. I will be honest and say I also listen to Drake SOMETIMES.

I also love to listen to R&B and stuff like that, I can judge this as much but I really like: The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Miguel, Bruno Mars(his Pop is great too), and Im pretty sure Sam Smith is R&B, havent heard much of him but boy o boy can that dude sing.

So thats my rap rant/stuff I like. Can include some tracks if someone wants some for anyone that I mentioned.
king lil g is real good and he is new. he has real heart and culture and kind of lesser known. content like nas, but also a fresh unique way of rapping because of his heritage, I would definitly check him out. Also dropping tracks would be greatly appreciated.

cozz is real good just checked him out

in terms of kanye. Kanye up until DTF (included) is straight gold to listen to. Graduation is pure pop and still pretty good. tbh I think yesuz and 808s are still kind of good. they are more like fine art at times because they arnt necessarily that great to pure listen to, but there is a lot of value in what he is experimenting with and the boundries he tries to push with those albums.

Modern day rap is somewhat saturated in the sense that a lot of the best rappers are more underground or lesser known. Like my boy lil g. His shit is real good. R & B is all good here as long as rap/hiphop is related to it (like within the song or stylistically) Childish gambino is agreeably unique and I gotta respect that for sure.

I'll join in this real quick with some of my personal favorites that I figure a lot of people can try out.

Living Legends
Do people know of these guys? I was into them a long long time ago, and am always amazed that more people don't know them better. These guys are a bunch of fairly unknown indie rappers who got together to get their shit out there more. These guys individually are pretty damned good. Their lyrics are very... real life. They never really rap about getting bitches or selling drugs. Most of their music just is about life. Some of the better artists in this group are The Grouch, Murs, and my personal favorite Eligh. I'll give a pretty nice mix below of some of each. But they are definately something to check out if you're into this kind of sound.

Living Legends

Eligh

Murs

Lil Dicky
His stuff is honestly really good and creative. He really is all about telling a story and being humerus with his raps instead of just rhyming words together and sounding good. And his shit is legitimately really good and refreshing even though his sound isn't really the most refined. Really looking forward for him to kind of take off more and get some more of his music out there after he gets a bit more practice.

XV
I've been liking a lot of XV and have liked him ever since I heard him on NBA 2K12. His stuff is really catchy and more in line with modern rap. He reminds me a lot of Lupe, and maybe that's why I like his sounds.

Futuristic
Forgot I wanted to add him, so I'll throw him in right fast. His shit is great, and he is always doing this hilarious Urkle shit on youtube that always makes me laugh no matter how old and over done it is.

Last edited:
Ive heard of lil dicky, is he like the weird al of rap? I heard that song lemme smash or something like that and wasnt sure if he made serious music or not. Also in a freestyle he said he was gonna fuck Michelle Obama so I always think of that when I see him lol

I mostly listen to Hopsin, Tech N9ne, B.o.B, Kendrick Lamar and Immortal Technique currently. I'm a metalhead-gone-rap though, so I don't know that top quality rap atm. Hopsin's my favorite tho, especially his Ill Mind series. Tech N9ne fascinates me though. Speed rap is pretty cool imo.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good thread. I'll throw out some random artists/tracks that I like. A nice mix of underground and more mainstream hits.

byulharang

formerly Holy Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor
I'm late but atm I've been listening to a lot of Meek mill, J cole, Travis scott, Kur, AR-AB, Speaker Knockerz, Chief Keef, Lud Foe and a lot of drill rappers. I'm more of a drill fan but I like a lot of other artists and songs and think most of the rappers you guys named have good qualities. Still disappointed by the 2016 XXL freshmen list though.

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
I thought true underground rap was dead; a casualty of an industry that promotes promiscuity, drug use, and criminal behavior among other things. I was wrong, though. Underground is still alive and well-I just wasn't paying attention. These guys are really talented writing their own music and making the beats, also. None of that bought and paid for talent you hear on the radio but just raw talent.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I like to listen to Flatbush Zombies, MF DOOM, A$AP Mob, Chance, and just recently I got into $uicideboy$ though I find them fairly edgy. I absolutely despise J Cole, I truly cannot see what people see in him. His lyrics are corny his flow is boring and he's a worse Drake. I don't really see what he brings to the game that's unique and different and I swear to god if I hear some sorority bitch play No Role Modelz one more time i'm gonna flip (not really but fuck j cole)

Some of my favorites for context: Glorious Thugs - Flatbush Zombies | 1992 - Erick arc Elliot | Saliva - Viktor Vaughn (MF DOOM) | Out of this world - A$AP Rocky

Raidx

Banned deucer.
I'm a huge 90s hip hop head, particularly East Coast hip hop. The emphasis on wordplay, flow and story telling, as well as the hard-hitting aggressive beats is why 90s East Coast hip hop is my favorite. A lot of my favorite rappers are from the era (Nas, Big L, Method Man, etc). Nas is my overall favorite and his story telling abilities and flow are unmatched imo, Big L was literally a punchline god, RIP L, Meth is just wild and I love him. Since there's like hundreds of solid tracks that I love but smogon only allows 15 pieces of media per post, i gotta limit it, but here are some of my personal favorites from the era

Epikhairz

Anything goes
im a huge 90s east coast head too. my favorite rapper of all time is jay z but my other favorites consist of nas, wu tang, mobb deep, atcq, and all that

with redman i also love whut thee album a lot, way more than any of his other albums in fact. i could never fully get into dare iz or muddy waters personally.

since we're listing songs ill have a go as well and share some of the deeper cuts from my favorite artists

I'm the kind of listener who only listened to RAP or Hip-Hop from time to time, but currently I'm addicted to Nicki Minaj's songs, I also really like Lil Pump and some Brazilian singers.

Look at this small list that I made with eight songs that I like to listen and dance here in my room, haha! :3

Nicki Minaj - The Night Is Still Young
Nicki Minaj - Super Bass
Nicki Minaj - Starships (Explicit)
Nicki Minaj - Barbie Dreams
Lil Pump - Flex Like Ouu (Dir. by @_ColeBennett_)
Projota - Ela Só Quer Paz
Silentó - Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae) (Official)
Nico & Vinz - Am I Wrong [Official Music Video]

I hope you all listen and enjoy! :heart:

#Socialization

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)