Other Tiers RBY Random Battles Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really feel like all the LC Pokemon are struggling. I think the other tiers (besides "crap tier") should be lowered by 3 levels.

tbh they just need better movesets in general. i feel like there's too much toxic going around on the LCs atm, though it's hard for me to point my finger on a specific one.

Hmm. I definitely think the "lower tier" LCs need a level buff, they die too quickly.

And yeah, there are very few Pokemon who should dare carry Toxic. And while I'm at it, I think you should get rid of Thunder on all the movesets. Its out classed by Thunderbolt and it's very frustrating to have both Thunder and Thunderbolt on the moveset at the same time.

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
articuno might be OU on smogon but it's pretty garbage. Moltres, Victreebel, and Kingler are all at least on par with it!

In old meta it was definitely not OU, and I'd probably not describe it as such currently. Jolteon totally should be though, it's currently better than Rhydon, Golem, Slowbro, Gengar and others (according to both myself and marco)

Hey guys, I want to call attention to the fact, that Pokemon like Ivysaur, Charmeleon and Wartortle are curremtly at the same level as their evolutions Venusaur, Charizard and Blastoise respectively, level 85. I think it is obvious that this should definitely not be the case. Nidorino for example is level 90, if I'm not mistaken...

Zubat has Supersonic. Pretty sure it should be getting Confuse Ray instead.

Machoke is at L85 while Machamp is at L90.

It seems rather incongruous how some mons (e.g. Tauros, Jynx, Pinsir) always come with the same well-chosen moveset, while many others are at significant risk of getting STAB-less movesets and/or 2 or 3 damaging normal-type moves. Pretty ridiculous when Primeape is completely walled by Ghosts because it has three Normal moves plus Submission.

Is anything capable of getting Flamethrower? Fire Blast is the only fire move I ever see.

It seems like Mew is the only thing that ever gets OHKO moves, and Wrap-like moves seem to be totally absent. That's kind of a bummer. Especially for Rapidash, who, I might mention, currently tends to get particularly ineffective movesets.

I've noticed it's possible to get Swords Dance with no physical moves. That seems like it might not have been intended to happen.

There are some illegal moves and move combinations. Magikarp can't have Dragon Rage in Roman-alphabet versions of the games, Nidoran♀ cant learn Leer (although it can learn Tail Whip, which is exactly the same), Kakuna can't have Harden with Poison Sting and String Shot, Exeggcute can't learn Mega Drain (really!), Weepinbell can't learn Body Slam, and Mewtwo can't have Amnesia below L81.

Last edited:
Today I seriously played random battles for the first time. Sorry to necropost, but ...

I got an Alakazam with Psychic, Seismic Toss, Reflect, and Thunder Wave. Alakazam should never go without Recover!

I also keep getting Raichus without Thunder Wave, which I believe should never be the case. I get Agility, Surf, Hyper Beam, and either Thunder or Thunderbolt. I don't know what else is on there, but I think Thunder/bolt, Thunder Wave, Surf are all mandatory, with Agility, Seismic Toss, Hyper Beam, Body Slam randomized in the fourth slot.

Same with Jolteon - Pin Missile, Double Kick, Thunderbolt and ... Body Slam? Honestly, I don't think any Electric type should ever NOT be running Thunder Wave.

In RBY you should just have 1-3 fixed movesets for every Pokemon and pick one at random. No complex move selection algorithms and better results. Same for GSC probably.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
electrics without twave is your main gripe? those sets are perfectly fine. how about all those magmars and arcanines without fire blast?

i think most of the random sets are fine. the ones without a good STAB move (when possible) are pretty disappointing though. the exception being Egg; for the longest time I only saw Psychic-less Egg and figured that was meant to balance things a bit, which I thought was kinda cool.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
What does Psychic-less Eggy even do? At least Zam has Recover and maybe Seismic Toss to hurt things. Eggy just Explodes on something? Mega Drain is only good against a small handful of targets.

Personally I'm a Challenge Cup kinda guy though and I can't behind all the "ensure everything has an awesome moveset" thing in the first place though. That's half the fun of randbats to me.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
I got a Chansey with Thunder Wave, Counter, Soft-Boiled, and Reflect. Counter should not count as the sole attacking move.

Hello, folks. I've been playing this format for quite a while and the rough pokemon levels irked me; the tiers do not feel balanced. I've created a variation on the format in which pokemon levels are adjusted automatically based on their performance. Specifically for games in this new format, records are stored for each pokemon: how many times it's been on a winning team, and how many times it's been on a losing team. All pokemon start at level 50. Pokemon which win at least 51% of the time have their levels adjusted down, and pokemon which win 49% of the time or less have their levels adjusted up. Eventually, each pokemon arrives at a level which is perfectly balanced, so it does not contribute more or less to a team on average than any other; each pokemon's win rate settles at 50% given enough matches.

With Panpawn's help, I've implemented this format on the Gold server. It's called [Gen 1] Random Auto Level Adjusted. The Gold server does not have an especially active player base, and the match records there are basically just based on me playing the new format with my buddy. As a result, the pokemon levels are still pretty rough. However, having this format on the main server and getting some adoption on it would adjust the pokemon levels much more speedily. I would love to get this on the main server, if people think it's a good idea; so far, the only response I've gotten has been positive.

My pull request to the Gold server, where I introduced the new format, can be found here: https://github.com/panpawn/Gold-Server/pull/220
Feel free to peruse the code. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Hello, folks. I've been playing this format for quite a while and the rough pokemon levels irked me; the tiers do not feel balanced. I've created a variation on the format in which pokemon levels are adjusted automatically based on their performance. Specifically for games in this new format, records are stored for each pokemon: how many times it's been on a winning team, and how many times it's been on a losing team. All pokemon start at level 50. Pokemon which win at least 51% of the time have their levels adjusted down, and pokemon which win 49% of the time or less have their levels adjusted up. Eventually, each pokemon arrives at a level which is perfectly balanced, so it does not contribute more or less to a team on average than any other; each pokemon's win rate settles at 50% given enough matches.

With Panpawn's help, I've implemented this format on the Gold server. It's called [Gen 1] Random Auto Level Adjusted. The Gold server does not have an especially active player base, and the match records there are basically just based on me playing the new format with my buddy. As a result, the pokemon levels are still pretty rough. However, having this format on the main server and getting some adoption on it would adjust the pokemon levels much more speedily. I would love to get this on the main server, if people think it's a good idea; so far, the only response I've gotten has been positive.

My pull request to the Gold server, where I introduced the new format, can be found here. Feel free to peruse the code. I'd be happy to answer any questions. https://github.com/panpawn/Gold-Server/pull/220
I really like this idea and i think its how randbat levels should be chosen, but idk if raw W/L is the way to go about it. Legendaries/Broken mons ending up on awful teams or being given to less competant players could end up with completely broken levels of Ubers, or shit mons ending up with really good players or on broken teams could results in low level PU pokemon.
Would there be a way to do it by something like KOs or damage dealt instead?

I really like this idea and i think its how randbat levels should be chosen, but idk if raw W/L is the way to go about it. Legendaries/Broken mons ending up on awful teams or being given to less competant players could end up with completely broken levels of Ubers, or shit mons ending up with really good players or on broken teams could results in low level PU pokemon.
Would there be a way to do it by something like KOs or damage dealt instead?
I think any issue of "bad mon with good player" or "good mon with bad player" would be drowned out over time as noise; on average, the bad mon is still bad and the good mon is still good. The way I've implemented this system is specifically designed to drown out noise; it doesn't matter if the win/loss records are not right initially. As long as people keep playing, the pokemons' true power levels will emerge in the statistics. I'm not a fan of the idea of using KOs or damage dealt since that undervalues pokemon that have strong support abilities (inflicting statuses, etc.). I think win/loss ratio is the purest measure one could use of a pokemon's utility.

I think any issue of "bad mon with good player" or "good mon with bad player" would be drowned out over time as noise; on average, the bad mon is still bad and the good mon is still good. The way I've implemented this system is specifically designed to drown out noise; it doesn't matter if the win/loss records are not right initially. As long as people keep playing, the pokemons' true power levels will emerge in the statistics. I'm not a fan of the idea of using KOs or damage dealt since that undervalues pokemon that have strong support abilities (inflicting statuses, etc.). I think win/loss ratio is the purest measure one could use of a pokemon's utility.
Yeah very good points, win loss is probably the best way to fairly measure support and defensive pokemon

Sorry to revive an old thread, but are partial trapping moves implemented?
I never see wrap, clamp etc. what gives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)