Pyukumuku Discussion

I think you missed my point. I said it was a deterrent, as any Pokemon who can OHKO Pyukumuku will think twice about doing so. That's what makes the Ability good; the fact that it will stop sweepers in their tracks. Also, if someone tries to whittle you down with weaker hits, Counter is there for them (if they're Physical, which I'll admit, is a big "if").

I'm not saying that Pyukumuku is instant OU or anything, just that Innards Out does exactly what it needs to for it.
No, I think you're the one missing my point. Yeah, they will think twice before going for the OHKO on it, but so what? What's the punishment for doing so? Where's the loss of momentum?

Anyone who gets greedy and boost all their up to +6 are in for a ride, I'll give you that, but usually most things only need to be around +2/3 to clean things up with super effective hits, usually barely missing out the OHKO with neutral moves (specially on bulky stuff), which is exactly what anyone needs to get past Innards Out. Counter is so incredibly situational and predictable on it that it is barely even relevant. I suppose Pyukumuku could threaten its opponents with the fact that it could hard switch into an attack and be purposefully taken out, but is that gimmicky really worth a teamslot? I do like the novelty of it, but it just won't work imo.

On paper, Pyukumuku—the pokemon—is bad. Innards Out, in a vacuum, is good, it just doesn't work with the Pokemon that has it. I don't know how to make this any clearer, so if you disagree then we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess. Time will tell who's right.

Maybe just max HP EVs, '0' for Def/SDef IVs, -Def or -SDef nature, give it Counter just in case it survives a hit, and 3 supportive moves that best fit your team? Then call it a day.

In doubles people often try to wipe out your support, they might be a little more hesitant with this guy.

In battle royales I can see people being like, "You take it out, I don't wanna do it!"

This thing worthless, period. There's literally no saving it. Why would you possibly run a support set with this pokemon when there are so many other Water-type pokemon who are so much better? Alomomola, for example, outclasses Pyukumuku in every single way imaginable. I guess its one relevant gimmicky is Z-Purify + Baton Pass, but then again Vaporeon can do this as well with Z-Celebration so...
Neither Alomamola or Pyukumuku do good if the opponent has substitute. They also both lose out to Taunt. So dont almost every pokemon using status moves so this point is moot. Not every pokemon runs these moves. The far majority of pokemon do not i'd wager, unless you have % stats i'm unaware of?.. But aside from stalling passive damage, Alomamola isnt killing anything. Granted scald gives it a separate niche to cripple physical attackers, while Pyukumuku threatens them with Counter and Painsplit to get keep itself healthy while putting them closer to Toxic KO ranges. Different niche. Alomamola can do great things like Wish+Regenerator and Scald burns. But Pyukumuku can threaten sweepers, Nuke an opponent that has too many boosts on the switch, pain split to mitigate hp and threaten with toxic, Counter any physical attack it can survive which are many, memento once its done its job, etc. Its about using a pokemon for its differences, not its similarities.

A Counter set is cold garbage. All a pokemon needs to get around it is Substitute and boom: your Pyukumuku is useless and a set-up fodder once again.
That's a fair statement. All a Pokemon needs to get around it is Substitute. But then i ask you using this same logic, what if they don't have substitute? What then? How often does every physical sweeper carry substitute? If your only way for your sweeper to get around it is with substitute or taunt then it greatly limits the coverage of a lot of pokemon. Thats like saying Ferrorthorn is bad because all it takes is a strong fire move to KO it.... what happens when you don't have one, or that pokemon gets taken out?

You don't have to use it but it's untrue to say it doesn't have its merits. It itself doesnt do well against toxic, but as a counter to a good portion of physical threats i think it will be useful. It can also force switches which means it can use toxic on the switch or doubleswitch to a predicted counter to the opponent switch. A lot of mind games can be played. It is a good pokemon to u-turn into

I believe Pain Split is far better than Counter as anti-chip damage, as it will always put the opponent in an Innards Out OHKO situation.
I think both on the same set makes a lot of sense personally, but this will depend on your chosen EV spread. Tankier to take boosted hits for the Counter or no def/sp.def investment to make it easier to KO for the Innards out.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Shuckle 2.0. Or a Shuckle who temps you to faint it.

Low HP is a bit disappointing, not helped by the high defenses. If you want Innards Out to be used to full effect you'd need to max out HP, have zero EVs and IVs in both defenses, and have a defense hindering Nature which doesn't boost the other defense stat. You know, maybe I'm putting too much focus on Innards Out, afterall it also gets Unaware via Hidden Ability so maybe its meant to be a defensive Pokemon. Let's look at its moves to see what utilities it has.

Oh, almost ALL its moves are utility. Bide and Counter is its only attacking moves, though they're based entirely on how much damage is received so that 60 Attack and 30 Special Attack is kind of useless. Otherwise, if you use it as a wall, it can play that role quite well. Recover/Purify, Pain Split, dual screens, Safeguard, Gastro Acid, Soak, and from Egg Moves we have Endure and Venom Drench. It also gets Taunt if you do want to force the opponent into trying to knock it out. But there's another trick it has: Baton Pass! It learn Harden, Curse, Double Team, Substitute, and Psych Up so it can make use of it in the right circumstance.

Okay, so not what I was expecting. I'd have thought Pyukumuku would do everything in its power to make it faint and deliver a big chunk of final damage, but turns out it wants to hang in there and stall as long as possible and maybe do some chip damage going out.

An Unaware Pokémon with Psych Up and slow Baton Pass actually sounds like a fun idea. Switch it in on a set up sweeper that cannot 2-hit K.O. unboosted, copy its stats and then pass them to a faster team mate.

Neither Alomamola or Pyukumuku do good if the opponent has substitute. They also both lose out to Taunt. So dont almost every pokemon using status moves so this point is moot. Not every pokemon runs these moves. The far majority of pokemon do not i'd wager, unless you have % stats i'm unaware of?.. But aside from stalling passive damage, Alomamola isnt killing anything. Granted scald gives it a separate niche to cripple physical attackers, while Pyukumuku threatens them with Counter and Painsplit to get keep itself healthy while putting them closer to Toxic KO ranges. Different niche. Alomamola can do great things like Wish+Regenerator and Scald burns. But Pyukumuku can threaten sweepers, Nuke an opponent that has too many boosts on the switch, pain split to mitigate hp and threaten with toxic, Counter any physical attack it can survive which are many, memento once its done its job, etc. Its about using a pokemon for its differences, not its similarities.

You don't have to use it but it's untrue to say it doesn't have its merits. It itself doesnt do well against toxic, but as a counter to a good portion of physical threats i think it will be useful. It can also force switches which means it can use toxic on the switch or doubleswitch to a predicted counter to the opponent switch. A lot of mind games can be played. It is a good pokemon to u-turn into

I think both on the same set makes a lot of sense personally, but this will depend on your chosen EV spread. Tankier to take boosted hits for the Counter or no def/sp.def investment to make it easier to KO for the Innards out.
Yeah, reading back my comparison to Alomomola was poorly thought out, I'll give you that.

That's a fair statement. All a Pokemon needs to get around it is Substitute. But then i ask you using this same logic, what if they don't have substitute? What then? How often does every physical sweeper carry substitute?
How often? Very. And if they don't have a sub then there's a pretty simple way to get around it: lower its health with a move that won't KO it, finish it off the following turn and then continue the sweep. And now I ask you: what can Pyukumuku do about it? Counter won't net a KO due to how low its HP is and Innards Out will deal pathetic damage. Go for toxic and get knocked out the following turn without doing anything else at all? Recover and avoid the inevitable? This is how a couple of turns with Pyukumuku will play out before it ultimately goes down.

It can also force switches which means it can use toxic on the switch or doubleswitch to a predicted counter to the opponent switch. A lot of mind games can be played
If a sweep is already underway, it doesn't. It's just a nuisance to be dealt with at best. Pyukumuku doesn't gain you any momentum whatsoever.

Thats like saying Ferrorthorn is bad because all it takes is a strong fire move to KO it.... what happens when you don't have one, or that pokemon gets taken out?
It is undoubtely, absolutely, really not. If you lack an answer to Ferro then you simply don't win as you can't get past it. Hence why that is a flaw worth overlooking--the pros greatly outweights the cons. If not for that, then yes, Ferro would be bad just like Pyukumuku is.

It is a good pokemon to u-turn into
Yes. And nothing else.

Really, are you guys seriously thinking that dedicating a whole teamslot to something that can't do anything but work under incredibly situational circunstaces, without any sort of consistency, is worth it? Why not just
use something else that can actually add something to your team other than a gimmicky that doesn't even work?

An Unaware Pokémon with Psych Up and slow Baton Pass actually sounds like a fun idea. Switch it in on a set up sweeper that cannot 2-hit K.O. unboosted, copy its stats and then pass them to a faster team mate.
Unaware only works when the pokemon that has it attacks, so Pyukumuku will get bopped before baton passing anything.

Unaware only works when the pokemon that has it attacks, so Pyukumuku will get bopped before baton passing anything.
No, that has been discredited. :D

So I'm Swaggering wild Pokemon with Unaware Quagsire and their physical attacks aren't doing more damage. I've tried eliminating every variable that could be something I'm messing up, and there's nothing. Unaware still works defensively, this is confirmed.

No, that has been discredited. :D
Oh...

And with that I take everything I said about Pyukumuku being trash-tier back. It can actually work as a reliable Unaware wall; Quagsire 2.0 if you will. Lack of Scald and coverage sucks, but everything else is better. It might not sound like it, but I wanted this thing to work I just didn't think it would. Happy that this little guy can be actually useful then.

Innards Out Pyukumuku is still bad, though. Likewise my opinion on it remains unchanged.

I believe Pain Split is far better than Counter as anti-chip damage, as it will always put the opponent in an Innards Out OHKO situation.
It's a great idea, but only works with Custap Berry, and only against things without priority. (Not that most people will think they need to use priority against a Pyukumuku...) That being said, this thing's tankiness combined with recover make it really easy to hit the 1/4th HP margin. You can switch it in against any hit that does less than 1/2 of its health or more than 3/4ths, (but not OHKO it unless they have base 86 health or lower and no investment) and you can bring it in after a KO/with a slow BP against any amount of damage, provided you use recover turn 1.

Technically speaking, this thing would counter (suicide kills count as countering, right?) anything with base 86 uninvested health or less, and check anything that has more health that can't OHKO it.
I considered Swagger+Psych Up, but discarded the idea when I remembered Swagger was banned.

That's actually really gross. Combine it with Z-Purify and other support moves for consistency and he may outclass Imposter Ditto in lower tiers.
No, I think you're the one missing my point. Yeah, they will think twice before going for the OHKO on it, but so what? What's the punishment for doing so? Where's the loss of momentum?

Anyone who gets greedy and boost all their up to +6 are in for a ride, I'll give you that, but usually most things only need to be around +2/3 to clean things up with super effective hits, usually barely missing out the OHKO with neutral moves (specially on bulky stuff), which is exactly what anyone needs to get past Innards Out. Counter is so incredibly situational and predictable on it that it is barely even relevant. I suppose Pyukumuku could threaten its opponents with the fact that it could hard switch into an attack and be purposefully taken out, but is that gimmicky really worth a teamslot? I do like the novelty of it, but it just won't work imo.
Use it as a Support mon when practical, switch it in to do an Imposter Ditto's job easier. It has some niche at least, especially in the higher tiers.

+1 252+ Atk Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 409-483 (130.2 - 153.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 409-483 (130.2 - 153.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 0- Def Abomasnow: 324-382 (103.1 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Unless Rayquaza starts running HP EVs for some reason, the Gentle Jaboca set can take it out. If Pyukumuku can make Mega Rayquaza start taking HP EVs, I would say it's not useless, but I guess time will tell how much people troll with it.

Then there's the Custap set, which can end sweeps with surprise priority Pain Splits.

That gives it with about 5 good sets:

Pyukumuku@Jaboca Berry
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp. Def / 4 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Def
Gentle (+Sp. Def -Def)
Toxic
Recover
Substitute/Light Screen/Safeguard/Taunt
Baton Pass/Light Screen

Pyukumuku@Rowap Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Sp. Def
Lax (+Def -Sp. Def)
Toxic
Recover
Substitute/Reflect/Safeguard/Taunt
Baton Pass/Reflect

Two sets that work the same way. A generalist support against physical/special damage and a suicide switch-in against set up sweepers of the other variety. The berries let them Innards-out KO pokemon up to 109 base HP, uninvested.

Pyukumuku@Custap Berry
EVs: 252 HP / Customizable defenses for specific threats
IVs: 0 Atk / Customizable defenses for specific threats
Impish/Careful/Lax/Gentle/Hasty/Naive
Toxic
Recover
Taunt/Protect/Light Screen/Reflect/Counter
Pain Split

Works much the same way as the above, but doesn't waste tons of momentum recovering in order to maintain its function. It's more versatile, but somewhat more finnicky. You can only suicide-switch in against things with base 86 uninvested, but you can also switch it in, have it tank the first hit, then priority pain split to trick things into killing it. Recover lets you bring it in against something that would do >50% but <75% damage and let them whittle you down to the Custap margin, but it can't switch into that. Taunt prevents it from being set-up fodder for spike setters or >86 base uninvested sweepers immune to Toxic, as well as letting you taunt on a switch, preventing Pyukumuku from being countered by something it would have otherwise get taunted or poisoned by. Toxic is mandatory for being the only thing it can threaten people with. Protect lets it Toxic-stall switch-ins that do >50% health, (For when you bring it in against things that do <50% of its health, letting it otherwise recover-stall them to death.) though you might lose out on some momentum if you can't predict a switch, or have to switch out yourself to preserve the Custap Berry. Finally, if you really don't like Taunt, Counter is an option to retaliate, netting unexpected KOs and helping you Toxic stall, while either screen could help your team with less prediction.

Pyukumuku@Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / Customizable defenses for specific threats
IVs: 0 Atk
Impish/Careful
Toxic
Recover
Taunt/Protect/Light Screen/Reflect/Baton Pass/Counter
Taunt/Protect/Light Screen/Reflect/Baton Pass/Counter

Quagsire V2

Pyukumuku@Z-Stone/Sitrus Berry/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / Nyeh
Impish/Careful
Purify/Toxic
Recover
Psych Up
Baton Pass

A shame Purify is too awful to use for its intended purpose. Still, unaware Psych Up+Baton Pass is nice. Purify lets it baton pass some boosts when there are no setup sweepers, (or attempt to baton pass later in the game) while Toxic lets it threaten the setup-sweepers it copies if they don't carry taunt, (which they seldom have the moveslots for) and gives an edge to Pyukumuku's recipient if it can't be outright stalled. If running Toxic, Sitrus Berry is probably ideal since it won't be staying in for long, but Leftovers makes it better at outright stalling things that can't threaten it. Throw in swagger for Anything Goes.

Neat mon, nicely trollish.

Last edited:
Discount Wobbuffet stopped cold by taunt, Why even bother giving it 60 base attack? I know 60 is trash, though this could had been made 5 along with it's non existent Special Attack and poured into it's HP and defenses. Shuckle 2.0.

Pyukumuku@Sitrus Berry/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / Nyeh
Impish/Careful
Purify/Toxic
Recover/Pain Split
Psych Up
Baton Pass

A shame Purify is too awful to use for its intended purpose. Still, unaware Psych Up+Baton Pass is nice. Purify lets it baton pass some boosts when there are no setup sweepers, (or attempt to baton pass later in the game) while Toxic lets it threaten the setup-sweepers it copies if they don't carry taunt, (which they seldom have the moveslots for) and gives an edge to Pyukumuku's recipient if it can't be outright stalled. Recover is more reliable, but Pain Split does the same thing Toxic would do, while also doing what Recover would do, freeing up a moveslot for Purify. Sitrus Berry is probably ideal since it won't be staying in for long, but Leftovers makes it better at outright stalling. Throw in swagger for Anything Goes.

Neat mon, nicely trollish.
This last set with a Z-Stone for Z-purify is exactly the kind of set I was thinking of. It can come in on a boosted sweeper, tank a hit with unaware, copy the stat raises, and then pass it to the appropriate counter, or it can pass that plus one to all stats with z-purify to either a stored power user or the new physical equivalent dark type move, power trip. That +1 to all stats would give either a 210 BP move after stab to something like Espeon/Latias/Gardevoir(all three have moves that can cover for the dark type immunity) or in power trip's case Krookodile or Pangoro (Primeape gets it too, but it doesn't get that stab). With the boost to atk or special attack on top of that scary high BP, you should be able to pull off a clean sweep most of the time. If either can get a calm mind or bulk up on top of that, you have a move more powerful than explosion coming off of a +2 in attack or special attack. I'd say that's pretty friggin scary to face, and most of the time pyukumyuku should be able to pull it off, although it's some serious taunt bait, and a mental herb is not an option with a z-stone. At the very least it'd be very fun to play with.

This last set with a Z-Stone for Z-purify is exactly the kind of set I was thinking of. It can come in on a boosted sweeper, tank a hit with unaware, copy the stat raises, and then pass it to the appropriate counter, or it can pass that plus one to all stats with z-purify to either a stored power user or the new physical equivalent dark type move, power trip. That +1 to all stats would give either a 210 BP move after stab to something like Espeon/Latias/Gardevoir(all three have moves that can cover for the dark type immunity) or in power trip's case Krookodile or Pangoro (Primeape gets it too, but it doesn't get that stab). With the boost to atk or special attack on top of that scary high BP, you should be able to pull off a clean sweep most of the time. If either can get a calm mind or bulk up on top of that, you have a move more powerful than explosion coming off of a +2 in attack or special attack. I'd say that's pretty friggin scary to face, and most of the time pyukumyuku should be able to pull it off, although it's some serious taunt bait, and a mental herb is not an option with a z-stone. At the very least it'd be very fun to play with.
Derp. Forgot that Z-stones are required. Fixed.

Shame though, that Pyukumuku basically needs to lose 5/8ths of its health in order to go down after Pain Split, otherwise the Custap Set would have been the new and improved FEAR.

Ah well, it's a good thing my in-game Pyukumuku can be as swagger-ridden as I please.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Now that Unaware nerf has been debunked, I think people may be underestimating this thing's potential, it could actually compete with Quagsire for a place on stall teams. No attacking moves really sucks obviously (not even Scald), but Quagsire isn't exactly a huge offensive threat either, and it too loses to pretty much any Sub or Taunt user. It's actually just as bulky on the physical side and 25% bulkier on the special side, and probably most importantly of all, actually counters Manaphy lacking Rain Dance. And it has pretty much the same roles as Quag does such as beating XZard, Bisharp, Scizor, BD Azu, SD Garchomp, etc while also taking on some special boosters like Volcarona (barely avoids the 2HKO from Giga Drain from non LO Volcarona) and Alakazam better. Misses out on Electric types however (especially Thundurus), but Stall usually has other ways of dealing with those anyway

That being said, not even being able to threaten a burn is a massive problem for it when comparing it with fellow passive waters Alomomola and Quagsire. The only set I can relly see working is this one :

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Counter
- Soak / Taunt

Recover and Toxic are pretty self-explanatory. Counter is the only thing it has that even passes as an attacking move. Its low base HP is prety bad for it but hey, what are you gonna do. At first I thought Taunt might be useful, and it does have good synergy with Counter, but it's too slow to really make use of it. Soak actually seems pretty interesting given how heavily reliant it is on Toxic to really do anything. But Taunt can help vs opposing stally mons lacking Toxic like Clefable or Skarmory by draining away the PP of their offensive moves, so it's not entirelu useless either.

Last edited:
Discount Wobbuffet stopped cold by taunt, Why even bother giving it 60 base attack? I know 60 is trash, though this could had been made 5 along with it's non existent Special Attack and poured into it's HP and defenses. Shuckle 2.0.
it's flavor in relation to its using its internal organs as a fist, even if its only way of actually punching things is via counter or bide. Why do people even bitch about these things? What's to complain about 55/130/130 bulk anyway? I'm plenty satisfied, I was guessing like 55/90/105 prior to us finding out its stats.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Counter
- Soak / Taunt

Recover and Toxic are pretty self-explanatory. Counter is the only thing it has that even passes as an attacking move. Its low base HP is prety bad for it but hey, what are you gonna do. At first I thought Taunt might be useful, and it does have good synergy with Counter, but it's too slow to really make use of it. Soak actually seems pretty interesting given how heavily reliant it is on Toxic to really do anything. But Taunt can help vs opposing stally mons lacking Toxic like Clefable or Skarmory by draining away the PP of their offensive moves, so it's not useless either
personally I'd use baton pass in the last slot to keep up momentum and get in frail mons easier

Last edited:
That being said, not even being able to threaten a burn is a massive problem for it when comparing it with fellow passive waters Alomomola and Quagsire. The only set I can relly see working is this one :

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Toxic
- Counter
- Soak / Taunt
Replacing Counter with Double Team could be a fun and effective set in Anything Goes.

From what I understand it's a common wild water Pokemon. Do you realize how obnoxious it'd be to lose a ton of HP every time you kill one in s trainer or wild battle? It needs low hp so you don't kill yourself against a minor annoyance

I did some calcs to test out how the before mentioned counter sets would fair when the enemy sweeper tries to bypass Innards Out deaths.I think many are under the assumption that Counter isnt a factor, is too situational or doesnt do enough damage even on weaker attacks to have Innards Out KO on the next turn anyways. As far as I can tell, it does very well against manny strong attackers that dont have high base hp while also being able to OHKO it.

Lets Test that logic with Swords Dance Mega Pinsir:
+2 252 Atk / 0 HP Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 297-349 (94.5 - 111.1%) Counter will KO Mega Pinsir if Pyukumuku survives the attack. If it doesnt, then Innards Out KOs anyways. Now lets see if it decides to use its other moves.
+2 252 Atk / 0 HP Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 179-211 (57 - 67.1%) If it decided to use Close Combat to not die to Innards Out, it loses to Counter.
+2 252 Atk / 0 HP Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 117-138 (37.2 - 43.9%) If it goes with Quick Attack, thats about a 13.3% chance to KO with Counter. If not, absolutely any attack the opponent does next will result in its own fainting as well.

But Pinsir is too frail! Something with a higher base HP maybe? Mega Garchomp (OU Mega Swords Dance):
+2 252 Atk / 0 HP Jolly Mega Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 240-283 (76.4 - 90.1%) Guaranteed Counter KO
+2 252 Atk / 0 HP Jolly Mega Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 192-226 (61.1 - 71.9%) Guaranteed Counter KO even with it's weaker move on this Smogon set.

Something with a good base HP and a resisted attack perhaps so they are doing less damage? Mega Tyranitar (OU Dragon Dance)
+2 252 Atk / 0 HP Jolly Mega Tyranitar Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 58-69 (18.4 - 21.9%) min 116 damage with Counter. If T-Tar tries to KO with Stone Edge on turn 2, He dies to Innards Out even after factoring in Sandstorm damage.

Pyukumuku also survives:
Dragon Dance Dragonite
+2 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 264-312 (84 - 99.3%) Guaranteed Counter KO
Kyurem Black
252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 264-312 (84 - 99.3%) Guaranteed Counter KO
252+ Atk Choice Band Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 237-279 (75.4 - 88.8%) Guaranteed Counter KO

If a sweep is already underway, it doesn't. It's just a nuisance to be dealt with at best. Pyukumuku doesn't gain you any momentum whatsoever.
This goes to show that against physical sweepers that do not have Substitute or Taunt, Innards Out version stops alot of them in their tracks to stop the sweep by fainting them, or can be enough of a deterrent for the opponent to switch out and lose their boosts, allowing you to control the narrative of the match. If that isn't gaining momentum, perhaps I misunderstand your definition of momentum.

Whatever can OHKO it does not like this thing. Barring the "very often" scenario that a sweep is underway and the pokemon has substitute, If Pyukumuku enters the field the non-substitute sweeper will have to switch out or die to Counter/Innards out. If it has a high base hp and chooses to stay and attack it has to be able OHKO, or die to a barely enough hit when Counter is factored in against a physical sweeper. At the very least, he is a good switch in to many mega pokemon and pokemon that boost their attack. And Custap berry can be unexpected and can reset its usefulness after taking a powerful hit as Priority Pain Split or Memento will be completely out of the blue.

I am not claiming Innards Out Pyukumuku @Custap Berry is a staple that deserves the highest peak of OU or anything of the sort. What I am trying to theorize is that it's viable. Are there other pokemon that are viable? Of course. Even in this new generation there are other things to consider. And if you don't think being able to stop a sweeping pokemon in its tracks by KOing it or forcing it to switch is at the very least interesting and effective, then I don't know what else to say. Remember, just like any other pokemon, if there is something on the field that can beat it consistently, it probably wont be your next switch-in. But thats where the rest of its team would come into play.

Unaware is also very interesting and Id like to see how it fairs as well.

Okay, here's the rules:

1. Take an Innards Out Pyukumuku to Doubles with a Shell Smasher. Make sure that bastard has Sturdy. And don't your EVEN THINK about using White Herb! Choose Shuckle for extra lulz.
2. Use Shell Smash! Use Psyche Up! Don't feint! Don't get taunted! Don't get Hazed!
3. Repeat step 3.
4. Sweep until your Shell Smasher feints.
5. Bring in a high HP Pokemon with Skill Swap. Is your Pyukumuku still alive? Good. Skill Swap that sucker. Use Blissey for extra lulz.
6. Laugh maniacally at your opponent for falling for such a ruse.

Side note: Strikes me that Battle Royale is a thing now too, where the match ends as soon as 1 of the 4 players loses all their mons, and I'm sure GF had it in mind while creating new mons. Pyukumuku seems like the kinda of mon made for that type of battle; it would just sit there being a pest while other players have to be like, "I don't wanna kill it, you kill it!"

Side note: Strikes me that Battle Royale is a thing now too, where the match ends as soon as 1 of the 4 players loses all their mons, and I'm sure GF had it in mind while creating new mons. Pyukumuku seems like the kinda of mon made for that type of battle; it would just sit there being a pest while other players have to be like, "I don't wanna kill it, you kill it!"
The problem with that is that your score is determined, not only by your number of remaining Pokemon, but also by how many Mons you KO'd, and offense isn't really Pyukumuku's strong suit :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)