Pure Baton Pass Ninjask

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my custom Ninjask set, and paired with a good physical sweeper (namely Lickilicky), you can't go wrong! Here's the set:

[SET]
name: Pure Baton Passer Lead
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Swords Dance
move 3: Protect
move 4: Baton Pass
item: Focus Sash
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Jolly
evs: 176 HP / 244 DEF / 88 SPE

[SET COMMENTS]
<p> What the difference is between the other sets is the ability to "choose your own adventure". First, you can protect at fake out, taunt, etc. and then either sub or dance. You get a guaranteed swords dance and you can always stall with sub and protect. Then you can either get lots of speed or some speed and attack. The ev's are mainly defensive, and for outspeeding other Ninjasks.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
-only loses to taunt users (which is almost only Aerodactyl in OU)

-can pass almost 100% of the time

-outspeeds other ninjasks with the additional 2 speed (2 for those who add 1 extra)

-can make almost anyone a sweeper

[TEAMMATES AND COUNTERS]
-Lickilicky can be a great partner with a swords dance and speed, boasting the most powerful attack in the game to take out almost any wall in one hit. Also has great coverage. Another partner is Regigigas because he would have his normal stats even with slow start, and then doubles them after 5 turns. Rhyperior covers most of Ninjask's weaknesses for a free switch, and can also get pretty far as a sweeper.

-Aerodactyl is the only great counter with taunt, only allowing to pass 1 boost of speed. Also very threatening with rock slide.

That's the set, and I've used it to quite success. Remember it is used to be a lead, not for later.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So this is the same Ninjask as always but with Protect instead of an attacking move and the EVs changed? I see...

Just "no".

First of all there are some </p> tags missing through your first paragraph (Which shouldn't be there on a skeleton analysis).

Also I don't really see how this is different from the other Ninjask sets. Can't we just slash protect over X-Scissor? I don't really see how this is "custom". Also using Substitute with Focus Sash is a bad idea, as your sub will break the sash. Finally, I disagree with some of your facts:
Remember it is used to be a lead, not for later.
Almost every Ninjask is used as a lead. So that point is irrelevant.
Aerodactyl is the only great counter with taunt, only allowing to pass 1 boost of speed. Also very threatening with rock slide.
Uhh, the same can be said for every other taunter?

I generally don't think that this set deserves a spot on-site.

Can you please elaborate on what the EV spread does exactly? I always felt the set on-site should have a bulkier alternative. However, other than a possible new spread, I am going to have to say this doesn't deserve it's own set.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hm, I actually could see some use the moves. Maybe enough to make it worth testing, probably not for it's own set but to be somehow integrated into the analysis. X-Scissor/AA is not exactly going to provide a threat later in the game (better than nothing, but still almost useless), and unlike the other sets it can choose between protect, sub, and SD, which could make it a more effective passer. For example, you still get a +1 speed pass at worst against taunt leads (if they go for SR and you predict it, you could get +2/+2), and can SD up against lesser threats.

Format and comments are going to need a lot of work though.

Basically, this is an amalgamation of both Baton Pass sets. IMO Protect could be slashed on the first one, though, I often see it on leads trying to stall out Fire Blasts and snag extra Speed Boosts. I don't see it (in my humble non-QCer opinion) as meriting its own set though. (In fact, now that I think about it, there are three sets that basically accomplish the same thing, except one set randomly has Sunny Day and one lacks Swords Dance...)

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is far from "custom".

I'd rather we have just one "Ninjask Sucks" set on the analysis that explains how much Ninjask sucks rather than 3 different crappy BP sets.

I'm with Chris on this. Looking at the current Ninjask analysis.. there are 5 sets that all do the same thing just in a slightly different way... :-/ (difference in only 1 move...)

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I stopped reading this when you stated LickyLicky was the ideal physical sweeper to receive these boosts, and scrolled down to see the other comments. I agree with CIM and RL, Ninjask doesn't need more Baton Pass sets, there is quite enough as is.

I don't think that having two sets on-site with different spreads (IE, one bulky) is a bad idea, but I think there are better spreads.... For instance, this is the one that I run:

Ninjask @ Liechi Berry
Timid Nature
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass
- Substitute
- Protect
I personally would like to see a set like this on-site, as there currently isn't any built quite like this one. The idea is to build it bulky, so that it isn't beaten by priority moves. This one will never be OHKO'd at full health by CB Scizor's Bullet Punch, allowing it to almost always get a pass off against anyone but Aerodactyl or other, faster Taunt leads. It's also worth noting that even though it's initially slower than Trick leads, Protecting once makes it fast enough to block the second Trick attempt with a Sub, while leaving the opponent extremely vulnerable. I have it hold Liechi Berry so it can Sub down and still get an Attack boost off against offensive or anti-leads. After trying other variations of Ninjask leads, I actually like this much bulkier one, and I think it's the best non-attacking variation of Ninjask. It can also hold Petaya Berry to give boosts to things like Togekiss or Octillery.

Setsuna

Prototype
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@tawp64: Could you please answer to what Philip7086 asked on his post? We would like some input regarding those EVs.

According to the answers of the QCers who have weighed in on this thread, the proposed set won't be getting its own spot on-site. I'm going to wait for the explanation on the EVs before locking this thread.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
when I ran a BP team as a joke on ladder I always just used 252 hp / 252 def bold and it did a good job at living random priority moves, with protect and sub speed evs arent needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)