Project PU Sample Teams V2 [accepting submissions] [ORAS only]

TONE

I don't have to take this. I'm going for a walk.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Sir Kay's Dodrio balance team should be moved to outdated unless he wants to replace Piloswine.

Balanced Spikes Rose/Vullaby/Probo Core - GeneralAnnoyance

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Machoke @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Bullet Punch

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Ability: Scrappy
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit
So the purpose of this team is to chip away at the opponent so that you can get a Stoutland sweep going. The base core revolves around Probopass and Vullaby supporting Roselia so that she can get spikes up. This in turn will allow for Stoutland to get easy kills on the weakened switches.

Roselia is here because I wanted a water/electric resist and a guaranteed switch on tangela. She sets up spikes and provides good pressure on stunfisk (one of the few rock leads that machoke struggles with). Her ability to sponge status is crucial for most members on this team as well.

Probopass takes on Psychic/Fire types for Rose. It gets up rocks after Machoke/Roselia has removed a lot of its problem mons. Its overall bulk and resistance to normal/flying types makes it essential on this team.

Vullaby takes ground moves and fighting types moves for Probo as well as handling Duosion, Grumpig, and non-fairy coverage psychic types. Vullaby also plays an important role in being able to take on stronger physical mons and win with foul play. It also removes webs, which are extremely troublesome for a stoutland sweep or a zebstrika revenge kill.

Machoke is actually one of the most important members on this team as it provides priority Bullet Punches, surprise encore for slow setup sweepers or annoying status mons, the ability to knock off eviolite on Tangela, and take on most rock leads. This in turn helps Stoutland sweep. In addition, Machoke and Roselia have really good synergy because Roselia gets free switches into Gourgeist and Pelipper (two of machokes problem mons).

Zebstrika is on this team for momentum with volt switch on spdef walls, the ability to take on Jumpluff for Roselia and Machoke, and revenge killing water types (which hit most members neutrally). Also, having a mon faster than Ursaring after quick feet is really important for any team (especially ones with non-STAB priority like this one).

Lastly, Stoutland is the primary wallbreaker of the team. With the assistance of machoke handling common switches such as Rock types and eviolite walls, Stoutland can come in when the right conditions are met and proceed to get a couple KOs and cripple your opponent. Also, Pursuit is for Grumpig (likely to switch out on stoutland) because after repeated switches into rocks, vullaby can have difficulties countering it.

Last edited:
Balanced Spikes Rose/Vullaby/Probo Core - GeneralAnnoyance

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Vullaby @ Eviolite
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Taunt
- Foul Play

Probopass @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Machoke @ Eviolite
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Bullet Punch

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit
So the purpose of this team is to chip away at the opponent so that you can get a Stoutland sweep going. The base core revolves around Probopass and Vullaby supporting Roselia so that she can get spikes up. This in turn will allow for Stoutland to get easy kills on the weakened switches.

Roselia is here because I wanted a water/electric resist and a guaranteed switch on tangela. She sets up spikes and provides good pressure on stunfisk (one of the few rock leads that machoke struggles with). Her ability to sponge status is crucial for most members on this team as well.

Probopass takes on Psychic/Fire types for Rose. It gets up rocks after Machoke/Roselia has removed a lot of its problem mons. Its overall bulk and resistance to normal/flying types makes it essential on this team.

Vullaby takes ground moves and fighting types moves for Probo as well as handling Duosion, Grumpig, and non-fairy coverage psychic types. Vullaby also plays an important role in being able to take on stronger physical mons and win with foul play. It also removes webs, which are extremely troublesome for a stoutland sweep or a zebstrika revenge kill.

Machoke is actually one of the most important members on this team as it provides priority Bullet Punches, surprise encore for slow setup sweepers or annoying status mons, the ability to knock off eviolite on Tangela, and take on most rock leads. This in turn helps Stoutland sweep. In addition, Machoke and Roselia have really good synergy because Roselia gets free switches into Gourgeist and Pelipper (two of machokes problem mons).

Zebstrika is on this team for momentum with volt switch on spdef walls, the ability to take on Jumpluff for Roselia and Machoke, and revenge killing water types (which hit most members neutrally). Also, having a mon faster than Ursaring after quick feet is really important for any team (especially ones with non-STAB priority like this one).

Lastly, Stoutland is the primary wallbreaker of the team. With the assistance of machoke handling common switches such as Rock types and eviolite walls, Stoutland can come in when the right conditions are met and proceed to get a couple KOs and cripple your opponent. Also, Pursuit is for Grumpig (likely to switch out on stoutland) because after repeated switches into rocks, vullaby can have difficulties countering it.
Hey man, this team looks really good, although I'd recommend just the small change of LightingRod > Sap Sipper on Zebstrika. You have Roselia to take care of Grass-types like Tangela and Vullaby for Grass-types like Jumpluff, so you don't really need Sap Sipper.

Hey man, this team looks really good, although I'd recommend just the small change of LightingRod > Sap Sipper on Zebstrika. You have Roselia to take care of Grass-types like Tangela and Vullaby for Grass-types like Jumpluff, so you don't really need Sap Sipper.
That was a mistake! Thanks for catching it!
EDIT: That wasn't a mistake. I just read it wrong, but if you feel like it'd make the team better, that's fine too :D Although Jumpluff trucks this team without it.
EDIT:EDIT: I suppose not trucked. Just puts a lot of pressure on vullaby after, rocks, some psychics, and physical mons. Also, changed Zeb to Lightning Rod :D

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
no more samples that get 6-0'd by rapidash please, AM can confirm it's an epidemic

not to mention regice and golduck and simisear and swanna and Mr Mime

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
no more samples that get 6-0'd by rapidash please, AM can confirm it's an epidemic

not to mention regice and golduck and simisear and swanna and Mr Mime
No in all seriousness these teams keel over to just general offensive pressure lol. Like it's fascinating how Spikes + set up sweepers just deter so many of these teams and makes it an arms race of who gets their hazards up first. Granted I'm no messiah in PU like many of you but yeah that's a little sad that a lot of the teams have the same under lying issues :/

Normal Spam Hyper Offense

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Crunch

Dodrio @ Choice Band
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Frustration
- Knock Off
- Quick Attack

Simisage @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- Gunk Shot

Probopass @ Air Balloon
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch

Zebstrika @ Magnet
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Filter
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

So this is a team I built for some friends for the PUnger Games tour and the PU Seasonal that worked out really well and is a team I really enjoy using. The team was built around Soutland + Dodrio as a really strange normal spam core. These two together are very ward to well and bring a massive amount of offensive presence to the team. They're able to wear down each others counters such as Dodrio breaking Tangela and Solrock and Stoutland breaking down things like Relicanth and Probopass for Dodrio.

After that we have a what I feel is a really under used mon in Simisage. In this team Simisages role is to be a mixed attacker who gets rid of things like Vullaby, Gourgiest, and Tangela by either knocking off their eviolites or out right killing them. All the mons it's aimed at beating give either Dodrio or Stoutland issues, so having it on the team puts a lot of pressure on your opponent for what can and should switch into each mon. One wrong move and you've either crippled your eviolite mon or sacked something you needed for one of the normal types.

Now Probopass is something I really enjoy using on normal spam as it traps things like Metang and Probopass that keeps me from spamming my normal type moves while also giving you momentum and rocks. I run enough speed to out speed creeping Metang and 0 speed Relicanth.

Next comes Zebstrika who brings an amazing speed tier to the team that was lacking to beat out things like Jumpluff and Floatzel while also granting us an Electric immunity. I ran Magnet as without hazard control it gets worn down very fast, so dropping the recoil is really worth the power drop off for this team. After that I run HP Grass strictly for Golem who is something the team struggles to switch into. Being able to ohko it after rocks is really worth it for this team over what ice offers as it means I'm not forcing something else to take a hit, instead I just kill it!

And lastly we have Mr. Mime. One of the biggest flaws up to this point is how easily this team gets worn down, and the lack of serious speed that HO should have. So to combat this I opt to run Scarf Healing Wish Mr. Mime. Being able to come in late game and give Stoutland or Dodrio a second life can really turn the tides of a match quickly.

Last edited:
I tried to make an easy to use team for the new FU meta, since the sample rain team is no longer legal and we're in need of a few anyway. It's not amazing but its decent enough and fun to use.

Screens Offense

Raticate @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Sucker Punch
- Crunch

Huntail @ White Herb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 SpA / 196 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Shell Smash
- Waterfall
- Ice Beam
- Double-Edge

Meganium @ Light Clay
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Petal Blizzard
- Earthquake

Lairon @ Eviolite
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Polish

Illumise @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Thunder Wave
- U-turn
- Encore

Simisear @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

I mentioned in the chat that I wanted to build an FU sample team, and someone suggested I build around Raticate. Since it's powerful and fast with good priority, but suffers from frailty which prevents it from setting up easily, I thought that it would really appreciate screens, and so built from that concept.

Rat uses the standard swords dance set, it's as good as ever and threatens every playstyle out there. The main thing that stops rat with screens up is bulky rock and/or steel types that stomach boosted facades easily; basically Gigalith and Lairon.

This led me to Huntail, who deals with these mons easily when boosted, and who also got a huge boost in this meta with the loss of lots of water types to check it and compete with it for a slot. It has decent bulk that means it can set up without screens, but with screens included it's very difficult to revenge with priority and scarfers that outspeed (Which are rare, since this set creeps the common base 65 scarfers). This allows me to forgo Sucker Punch without much worry, letting me use Double Edge which 1hkos the remaining offensive water types in the tier and heavily dents the defensive ones.
Also packs ice beam to get rid of Geist for rat!

Meganium is my screen setter, since Meowstic just left. Good bulk and speed means it will get at least one screen up, but the main reason I chose it is that it has a really good match up vs opposing rock setters, letting you lead with it comfortably in most situations. I went offensive, but you could go max hp for a better Huntail check if you find yourself struggling with it.

I wanted an offensive rock setter, and Lairon is one of the few options. I chose it as it can double as a cleaner with rock polish, head smash is stronk and it checks a lot of handy stuff.

Illumise is weird, but I wanted a pivot and sage check, and this mon turned out to be really handy. It deals with set up via Twave + Encore, which is incredibly handy for such an offensive team, forces switches via these moves+priority, letting it gain momentum with u-turn and switches in to Sage and Mienfoo's HJK. Encore also helps the other mons set up even more easily.

Simisear is ridiculous right now and forms a complementary trio of set up with Rat and Huntail. Simi can knock off the Wartortle switchins, letting either it or Huntail break it later on, Huntail deals with faster mons/scarfers and weakens the water types that can stop a Simisweep™. Also roasts the steel types and blasts the rock types that stop Rat, and can switch into Gourgeist quite easily.

Last edited:
a couple teams since we need them

eggy webs

Hey so there's not really too much to this team, it's just really simple yet decently effective webs HO. Exeggutor, Stoutland, and Pawniard are pretty scary under webs. Stunfisk is a momentum suck but it's pretty necessary on this team because it can beat Flying-types and Pawniard (which are really big threats to webs) 1v1. I don't really know what else to say about it it's just really basic webs offense team.

Leavanny @ Focus Sash
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sticky Web
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Electroweb

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Pursuit

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic
- Sleep Powder

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Thunder Wave

Floatzel @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Veil
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Return
- Aqua Jet

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Superpower
- Facade
- Pursuit

muh rmt

ロゼリア (Roselia) @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Sleep Powder

バッフロン (Bouffalant) (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Pursuit

マッギョ (Stunfisk) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Bug]

ユンゲラー (Kadabra) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Encore

ムウマ (Misdreavus) @ Eviolite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

ゼブライカ (Zebstrika) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Dropping a Stall team here because we have none. Although Stall is bad in this meta, I think it is still important to have a team of every playstyle.

Although it is difficult to cover everything in the meta, Stall makes it a point to cover at least >85% of offensive threats, so you can still manage to win a significant amount of matches if your opponent doesn't have that specific wallbreaker. Many times the opponent will have a team full of fast life orb abusers who are totally unprepared for stall- here you have an advantage.

This team I built managed to do really well so far. I have an 8-1 record that includes one roomtour win and wins over good players like Megazard. So, if you want easy wins over impatient ladder players, try this out!

"Standard" Stall

Through residual damage, this team attempts to outlast most of the common offensive threats in the metagame. Hypno is the centerpiece of the team, being the Wishpasser, rather than Lickilicky because that accelerates stall's weaknesses to Monferno and Machoke. Articuno serves as the secondary special wall, and a pokemon that can stall out most setup sweepers' PP with pressure and Haze (such as Duosion), as well as providing Heal Bell support. Throh provides the status absorber and Misdreavus counter, as well as the Pawniard counter (the EVs are tailored to defeat +2 Pawniard reliably). Relicanth is the very necessary Flying-Type and Normal-Type switch in, and provides Rocks. Vullaby is there to Defog and make sure you don't get destroyed by Monferno. And finally, Gourgeist fits very well for its ability to spinblock, sperad status, and beat normal and fighting type pokemon that would otherwise be very annoying, such as Vigoroth. You may notice that there is no win condition, but the sheer amount of residual damage and Articuno's Pressure makes up for that. Also, the weaknesses to Swords Dance Pawniard and Swords Dance Monferno are unfortunate, but not a lot can be done. Just like offense loses to some teams (such as sun, unless using a Chlorophyll user), this stall team will have to work its ass off to beat threats like those. Additionally, Vullaby isn't really good enough at removing Stealth Rocks as it should be, so you'll just have to keep pressuring Stunfisk and company with Gourgeist again and again.

Throh @ Leftovers
EVs: 160 HP / 4 Atk / 92 Def / 252 SpD
Impish Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Circle Throw
- Knock Off

Articuno @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 SpD
Calm Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Roost
- Haze
- Heal Bell

Hypno @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Foul Play
- Brave Bird

Gourgeist-Super @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Synthesis

Relicanth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
[Hide/]

AV Bouffalant Balance

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Megahorn
- Facade
- Pursuit

Floatzel @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Veil
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Frustration
- Baton Pass

Jumpluff
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Sleep Powder
- Acrobatics
- Seed Bomb

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave

Roselia @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 36 Def / 224 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis

Pawniard @ Eviolite
EVs: 112 HP / 96 Atk / 160 Def / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch

This team was built around AV Bouffalant. Choice Band Floatzel was added for some speed and he actually makes a nice offensive core with Bouffalant, as Bouff can freely come in on most bulky grasses that wall Floatzel (bar Gourgeist). Facade was chosen over other coverage options so Bouff isn't totally dead-weight if it's statused. Stunfisk was added as a reliable rocker and as a check to Pawniard and an electric answer, otherwise things like Zebstrika could just spam Volt Switch all day. Sludge Wave was chosen over Toxic, so I can catch grass-types on the switch, easing the pressure on Bouffalant to take on said Grasses. Roselia was added because my team was still weak to electric spam (Stunfisk can be easily worn down w/o reliable recovery) and also to water spam and additionaly helps with bulky Grasses. Pawniard was added to block defog and as a wincon. This bulky spread lets it survive 2 CB Frustrations from Stoutland after rocks and 1 spike, as my team is rather weak to it otherwise. Jumpluff was added for more speed control because my team was pretty slow. It also provides nice momentum and forms a turn/pass core with Floatzel and also helps with Golem, breking it's sash with U-turn without activating it's weakness policy. It's also pretty nice that it can tank Knock Off's for the team, as most mons in this team don't really like taking a Knock Off once Stunfisk is gone.

Credits to Tect for giving me Pawn's and Rose's spread, suggesting Sludge Wave over Toxic on Stunfisk and giving a better description of this team.

Last edited:
Simisear + Pawniard Offense

Simisear @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Overheat
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide

Pawniard @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Gourgeist-Small @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 152 HP / 104 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Rock Slide
- Will-O-Wisp

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- U-turn
- Scald
- Roost
- Defog

Mr. Mime @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Soundproof
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Healing Wish

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

So here's a team I've been handing out to some people, figured I would post it here. I wanted to build around Simisear, which is a pretty underrated threat at the moment, and I noticed it does a pretty good job of weakening SD Pawniard's checks, so I started there. Some of Pawniard's more common checks are Monferno, Stunfisk, and Pelipper, and Simisear can cripple Monferno with Knock Off, get big damage off on Stunfisk with Overheat, and hit Pelipper with Rock Slide. I needed a strong Ground resist and I wanted something relatively fast, so I decided to go with SubSeed Gourgeist-S, who is honestly really underrated at the moment. Once Gourgeist-S gets up a sub, it does a great job of wearing down teams, making it easier for Pawniard to sweep. Fighting-types were looking like a problem at this point, and I wanted hazard control in order to keep Simisear alive throughout battles as long as possible, so I added Pelipper. Mr. Mime was added to do what Mr. Mime does: revenge kill and revive teammates, which is really nice for Simisear and Pawniard especially. I needed Stealth Rock and wanted a Normal resist as well as a Volt Switch sponge, so I went with Weakness Policy Golem, which does great against offensive teams, which are thriving in the tier at the moment. The team is pretty easy to use to be honest, hope you all enjoy.

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Added some teams, thanks for your submissions!
Didn't add Manofmany's team because Throh is still banned and stall isn't nearly viable right now, also not a great choice for someone that wants to try out the tier.

Drifblim Volt/Turn

Kūki No Tamashī (Drifblim) @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 12 HP / 244 Atk / 40 SpD / 212 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Baton Pass

Modorimasu (Ninjask) @ Choice Band
Ability: Infiltrator
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace
- Toxic

Reitō Boruto (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Trick

Hatameki (Vibrava) @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 28 Spe
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Katai Ishi (Probopass) @ Passho Berry
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch

Shinshi No Baruku (Machoke) @ Eviolite
EVs: 144 HP / 216 Atk / 44 Def / 48 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch

Alright guys, I have a pretty solid Volt/Turn team for y'all, with a twist!

I've found Drifblim very effective in this meta, but it's main issue is that teams normally carry reliable checks to most of its sets. It also has a very similar pool of checks and counters to one of the main components of Volt/Turn, Ninjask. So why not slap them both on the same team and just pressure the living day lights out of those checks?!?!?!?

My Drifblim set is a bit of a departure from the standard sub/liechi set, which typically carries such moves as Will-O-Wisp, Destiny Bond, or Explosion, but I have been playing around with Baton Pass as a fourth slot and it is incredibly effective, when paired with the right recipient.

Most of Drif's ususal switch-ins, such as Stunfisk, Vullaby, Probopass, and Relicanth, are beaten by Machoke 1 v 1, so its very advantageous to Substitute as one of these comes in and then pass that Sub to Machoke, or even Sub down to Liechi and pass that +1 in attack to Machoke. Essentialy you create scenarios where Machoke is in for free (all of those listed, bar Relicanth, fail to break this Machoke's Substitue with a move that would have been SE on Drifblim) and your opponent is forced to sacrifice the health of their Drifblim/Ninjask check or let something else take a neutral or +1 CC, opening the way for your team. Baton Pass also adds even more momentum to the overall theme of the team.

This Machoke is a bit abnormal in its EV spread. I opted to invest a little less in attack, while hitting the highest jump point, in favor of more bulk. This allows aforementioned subs passed to it to remain intact on the pass, while still being a potent offensive force to be reckoned with.

Ninjask, the embodiment of U-Turn in the PU tier, is a notable threat in the current meta. Its speed and remarkable power, when fitted with a Choice Band, really tears most offensive teams apart, all the while gaining valuable momentum for your team. Standard slots aside, Toxic is something myself and others have come to use as a fourth on Ninjask, over the usual Night Slash. Toxicing switchins such Stunfisk, rather then U-Turn-ing on it, saves yourself from Static's chance of paralysis, while hindering its longevity over the remainder of the match. Oh, and lets not forget about crippling a Vigoroth after it's safely behind its Substitute, which could mean the diffrence between certain loss and a victory for yourself.

The second component of this teams main Volt/Turn core is none other then Bolt/Beam the pokemon: Rotom-F. When paired with Ninjask's U-Turn, Choice Scarf Rotom's Volt Switch becomes an amazing means of wearing down teams for later clean by either itself, Drifblim, or Ninjask. Revel in the feeling of trapping your opponent in the vortex that is Volt/Turn!!! It's powerful, yet unreliable, secondary STAB, Blizzard, is also incredibly potent in this metagame. Trick on the fourth is standard, but I'd like to make a point that it has become a very nice slot, as of late, due to Audino's presence in the tier. This also creates further setup oppurtunities for Drifblim, once walls like Audino are locked.

Enter the Hebrew Hero, the Leviathan from the Levant, the Nose that Knows, Probopass!!! Providing a much needed Normal/Flying Resist and reliable Stealth Rocks setter, Probopass find itself a place on the team. Probo also aids the team in its ability to trap troublesome Steel types that otherwise cause this team some issues. Pawniard, Metang, Klang, and of-course opposing Probopass are things that Drifblim, Rotom-F, and Ninjask greatly appreciate removed, and our Jewish Gentlemen gets the job done, as advertised. I opted for a bit more speed on this Probo to have a better chance at outspeeding opposing Probopass and Metangs. Volt Switch also gives this team EVEN MORE momentum (Almost overkill at this point).

This Probopass has another trick up its nonexistent sleeves, considering its holding a Passho Berry. Acting as a pseudo Water check, the ability to lure mons such as Swanna, Floatzel, or a choice locked Basculin and remove them with Volt Switch is very nice for this team. Also, the whole Drifblim Sub-Pass to Machoke deal gets completely undone when Jumpluff is present. Probopass might not be the best check to Pluff, but it can get the job done, given the right oppurtunity.

Buzz, buzz, buzz. This team is VERY weak to Stealth Rocks and a reliable means of removing these, while not stacking any other Rock weakness, was very important. Vibrava is here to save the day! It's great typing/ability gives it a very notable matchup against most Stealth Rock setters in the meta (Golem, Probopass, Relicanth, Stunfisk), and also provides the team with a reliable Fire Switch-in, which could trouble a locked Ninjask or Rotom-F. I opted for a sassy nature with 28 IVs in speed to slow turn on base 60's, such as Tangela and Vullaby, which the team otherwise has a problem switching into. It also possesses the ability to significantly weaken Pawniard coming in on an expected Defog, making it much simpler for Probopass to trap and kill. Oh, and guess what, it gives the team EVEN F*CKING MORE MOMENTUM WITH ITS U-TURN.

Hope y'all have some fun frustrating your opponents with the perpetual storm that is Volt/Turn. And try and get a +1 Machoke behind a sub if you can, its quite broken. :]

(P.S.- Names are japanese, translate them at your leisure for a few laughs.)

Last edited:
Summary
This team is for people who like casual bulky offense with bird offense and having probopass to trap others and allow the birds to attack freely without having resistance on the other team to worry about. I have two sleep talk users as Machoke and Klang I think the two support each other well with type match ups. Fairys usually Clefairy cant do anything to Klang allowing it to set up. Machoke can dent the counters to Klang like Monferno. Stoutland is plainly there just to pressure the other person with banded Return. Swanna has Rain Dance over Roost because Hurricane hits like a truck and teams that don't have bird spam can really can't handle it's power. :]

Machoke @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Facade

Swanna @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Scald

Klang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Shift Gear
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Summary
This team is for people who like casual bulky offense with bird offense and having probopass to trap others and allow the birds to attack freely without having resistance on the other team to worry about. I have two sleep talk users as Machoke and Klang I think the two support each other well with type match ups. Fairys usually Clefairy cant do anything to Klang allowing it to set up. Machoke can dent the counters to Klang like Monferno. Stoutland is plainly there just to pressure the other person with banded Return. Swanna has Rain Dance over Roost because Hurricane hits like a truck and teams that don't have bird spam can really can't handle it's power. :]

Machoke @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off

Probopass @ Air Balloon
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
- Volt Switch

Stoutland @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Facade

Swanna @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Rain Dance
- Defog
- Hurricane
- Scald

Klang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Gear Grind
- Shift Gear
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

Chatot @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Boomburst
- Heat Wave
- Tailwind
Sorry IChatot, but I don't think that this team is close to Sample Team worthy. First of all, it doesn't really have good synergy, and relies on Scarf Chatot to deal with almost all offensive threats. For example, stuff like Rapidash and Life Orb Floatzel and Life Orb Raichu only need your team to be slightly worn down to get a kill every time they come in (which is often because they outspeed 5 out of 6 mons). Basically this just falls apart in the face of any basic offense with a Chatot Check.

Altaria Balance

Altaria @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Roost
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 HP / 204 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Signal Beam
- Psyshock
- Heal Bell
- Thunder Wave

Stunfisk @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Discharge
- Earth Power

Rapidash @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Jolly Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Morning Sun

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Wood Hammer
- Roar

Rotom-Frost @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

The team focus is basic. Altaria spams draco meteor and fire blast/eq deal with Dragon's resistances. Grumpig walls Ice mons and Stunfisk counters pawn, mightyena and provides rocks. Rapidash enters on it because it is a offensive Ice resist who gives a trouble to HO, by outspeeding and killing a decent part of the mons. Quill is my counter to physical water types, ground types in general and also provides spikes, which causes a secondary damage to grounded mons. Wood Hammer is my option over Seed Bomb because it always OHKOES Floatzel. My last mon was Rotom-F due it Pseudo-Immunity to ground type and for checking pawn/bulk grass types
I hope you enjoy using it :]
[/hid]

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
U-Switch

Another Volt-turn team! I made this after Vigoroth and Exeggutor got banned, and it's been incredibly fun to play with. The team uses two ridiculous wallbreakers to take advantage of the free switches volt-turn gives them to beat down defensive pokemon, combined with 3 super speedy mons to smack offense. Glaceon with Choice Specs is the first wallbreaker, which is strong enough to even break through resists. Rampardos is the 2nd, only losing to Tangela and Hippopotas (free switch for Glaceon!) and also provides my Stealth Rocks if I can predict it right. Pelipper provides a small defensive backbone and also the essential hazard removal for the team. Now onto the offense-breakers: Banded Ninjask is self-explanatory, outspeeding everything and providing amazing momentum. Electrode with Life Orb provides the ability to break through bulky waters and checks Scarf Chatot. Finally Scarf Monferno revenges some threats that Ninjask can't touch, like Fire Types and provides more momentum. An interesting thing to notice for this team is that it has 3 Choice Users! That's very contrary to my usual teambuilding style, but it works well here.

Glaceon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Baton Pass
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Rampardos @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Slide
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Monferno @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Iron Fist
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Ninjask @ Choice Band
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- X-Scissor
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Night Slash

Electrode @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Signal Beam
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

[Hide/]

I'm not sure what Glaceon does here that Rotom can't. You have no need to punish things like Grumpig and Metang from coming in specifically with Glaceon when you have Ninjask and Rampardos and volting out under SR already takes away like 35%, and Glaceon is a significant speed drop that makes it easier to open up with slower attackers. Idk, I haven't used Glaceon personally but in theory it's there to punish easy Ice switches which you don't really need.

G.O.A.T. Squad

Hi here's another team for everybody to steal! I built this team around Gogoat, as it got better with the departure of Vigoroth plus it acts as a nice wincon as well as a check to special Floatzel, the biggest threat in the tier at the moment. Rotom was added because of its able to offensively check Gogoat's biggest checks and counters, namely Jumpluff, Dodrio, Ninjask, etc. Golem was added as the token Stealth Rock setter as well as a Normal check as well as an Electric immunity. Arbok was added as a second wincon as well as a Machoke check (as if it doesn't just get confuse haxed to death). Vullaby was added as a defogger and a blanket check to physical attackers and Psychic-types. Grumpig was then added as a soft check to Rotom as well as a Regice check and a Fire check. Enjoy destroying the ladder.

Gogoat @ Leftovers
EVs: 228 HP / 48 Atk / 232 SpD
Careful Nature
- Bulk Up
- Horn Leech
- Earthquake
- Milk Drink

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Golem @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Coil
- Gunk Shot
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Vullaby @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog

Grumpig @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
ok updated also removed teams with pelipper and banned Pokemon a while ago but didn't mention it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)