Other Proposal: Making CAPs for metagames other than OU (24 Hr Language Amendment)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I definitely agree that would should be filling the "between CAP" gap with something alongside of pre-evolutions that caters to our more competitive crowd. I like cape's proposition, but it's labor intensive and there are a lot of snags with it, as Pwnemon mentioned. I don't have a good alternative, but it's something we can definitely brainstorm about.

So I guess that's kind of where things lie. There's a desire to reach out for other metagames, but we simply don't have the time or the userbase to make it a reality. Furthermore, we have a between-CAPs timeslot. Thankfully, it's pretty filled with Gen4 pre-evos and CAP4 pre-evos, but it's something we'll need to evaluate to fix in the future. Keep thinking on these issues.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Since I made this post initially I think I should clean up here. Most of the PRC have given an opinion either for or against it, but we never really got down to the central question of how we'd implement it.

That's because that's a separate question. In the intervening time since I first posted this in August we've created Auromoth for testing in the BW2 Metagame and it's playtest is ongoing.

Thus, rather than talking about how we're implementing it, I want to have strictly a vote on whether we should allow it at all. Then, if passed a separate PRC thread will be made to determine when the tier would be selected and what course of actions to take (e.g. reaching out to those communities and pulling a TL from their ranks like we did when 5th Gen first started, etc.)

Therefore, we shall have a vote with this language:

Should we, at any point in the time in the future, have a dedicated Forum-wide CAP Project for a tier other than OU of the most current generation, with the timing and parameters of such Project to be decided in a future PRC thread?

There will be 24 hours to amend the language.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
'forum-wide CAP Project' gives the impression that it'd be a "front-page CAP" like syclant through aurumoth, but since that's unnecessarily limiting for what we could feasibly do with this project (see cape's proposal) i'd change the language to something like "forum-based CAP Project of any scope"

EDIT: unless your point is for it to be a main-page CAP which i guess don't change the language

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
'forum-wide CAP Project' gives the impression that it'd be a "front-page CAP" like syclant through aurumoth, but since that's unnecessarily limiting for what we could feasibly do with this project (see cape's proposal) i'd change the language to something like "forum-based CAP Project of any scope"

EDIT: unless your point is for it to be a main-page CAP which i guess don't change the language
My point is if we're going to do this, we should go full on with it and dedicate the entire community's attention. The only reason to do a CAP Project for another tier would be if we were considering the Competitive elements of it, and that requires our full and direct attention. Otherwise it becomes a niche flavor project like the Pre-vos, which is fine, but not the original intent of the idea. The only difference between a different tier project should be that that ban list is longer (or shorter in the case of Ubers) and lead from there.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
With the current wording, it seems like we'd be cementing ourselves into a decision that would force our hand in the future, even if our opinions change. For example, if we vote "no", then it sounds like we'd never ever consider doing a non-OU CAP ever. On the other hand, if we vote "yes", then apparently we are required to do a non-OU CAP in the future? I'm not sure if that's how you've intended this poll to operate, but it seems needlessly firm. Is there an option for having interest in the future, but that could be decided in a different fashion?

Deck Knight

With the current wording, it seems like we'd be cementing ourselves into a decision that would force our hand in the future, even if our opinions change. For example, if we vote "no", then it sounds like we'd never ever consider doing a non-OU CAP ever. On the other hand, if we vote "yes", then apparently we are required to do a non-OU CAP in the future? I'm not sure if that's how you've intended this poll to operate, but it seems needlessly firm. Is there an option for having interest in the future, but that could be decided in a different fashion?
I could include "should it occur" after "Project in the last sentence, but what I'm ultimately trying to get at, since this has come up multiple times, is "Is it in CAP's Competitive Mission to ever consider any tier other than OU" and getting a firm answer to that.

So in making those adjustments:

Is it in CAP's Competitive Mission to ever consider any tier other than OU of the most current generation as the subject for any of its projects, with the understanding the timing and parameters of such a project, should it occur, will be decided in a future PRC thread?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I am closing this for now, because another PR thread is going to bring up many of the issues described here within a different context. Depending on how that PR works out, we may reopen this and discuss again, or leave it closed forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)