Sports Pro Wrestling Discussion Thread

OP updated by Quote because the original thread creator has been gone since 2009

The premise of this thread is basic. Discuss pro wrestling news, events, etc. If it relates to Pro Wrestling in some manner it's not off-limits.

Please follow the normal rules of the sub-forum, with these addenda specifically for this thread:

1. We are all aware that professional wrestling is pre-determined, and that it is ultimately a stage act that uses a ring and associated locales instead of an actual stage like in typical theatre. With that in mind, please do not blatantly slander pro wrestling for what it is. No "fake and gay", no "It's not a real sport", "You know it's all staged, right?". Any posts of this caliber are sheer ignorance and will be deleted.

2. Don't blatantly shit on people for the wrestlers/promotions they like. This isn't /wooo/. Don't be a dick.

3. Don't link illegal streams/torrenting sites when trying to provide specific wrestling material. Only provide legal streams or videos uploaded to any sort of sharing site (YouTube, Dailymotion, etc).

This OP will be updated at a later time to include methods to watching various promotions.

You can also discuss pro wrestling in the Official Pokemon Showdown Pro Wrestling Room at http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/prowrestling

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually just saw an episode of Discovery Channel's "Guinea Pig" where Ryan Stock (I think that's his name) learned to 'fake' wrestle. While there is no active competition, it became pretty apparent that there is athleticism involved in this 'sport', and a very real potential for injury and certainly for pain. You have to pracitse and be in good shape to make this look convincing, and work well with the other person.

That being said, it's more like a 'combative dance' rather than a sport...but hey, people like the Ballet so I suppose I can see the logic behind liking this too!

While a lot of it is staged there are some things you can't fake and just have to take the impact (ex. Taking the impacts of the a Ladder.)

that's exactly what I'm saying dude, but it's NOT competative cause every outcome is pre determined to an ongoing plot line.

that's exactly what I'm saying dude, but it's NOT competative cause every outcome is pre determined to an ongoing plot line.
I never said it was competitive I am just saying you can get hurt doing it and it's not an easy career choice many starting independent workers do shows on the weekends and have a part time job during the week days. As for working in the WWE you are traveling just about every day of the year, they do not just perform on TV they also do Live Events (Unless of course your name is Shawn Michaels or Undertaker)

I've always looked at wrestling as a soap opera more than anything else, except that the 'acting' requires much more stunt work than normal.

I must admit though, I used to watch it religiously as a teenager in the late 90's / early 00's (it was the WWF back then though). Those were the days of the Corporate Ministry, DG-X and, of course, the 'People's Champion' (The Rock, A.K.A. Dwayne Johnson). Great stuff. I even remember recording all the monthly big events from 1-4 on Monday mornings (sucks to live in England), then watch them in full after school. It didn't last though, the plotlines starting going downhill around 2002-ish and I eventually stopped watching it altogether.

This thread appearing is a bit of a coincidence though as I've recently starting watching them again occasionally (mainly for the laughs though). It sure brought back a wave of nostalgia in my head, although some of the older guys I barely recognized. The likes of Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker look the same, but the Hardy boys look so old and bloated now. Anyway, I'd never get back into it the way I used to, no matter how good it might be now. I simply can't afford the time for a soap addiction these days, it's the same reason I'm afraid to get into MMORPGs.

I've always looked at wrestling as a soap opera more than anything else, except that the 'acting' requires much more stunt work than normal.

I must admit though, I used to watch it religiously as a teenager in the late 90's / early 00's (it was the WWF back then though). Those were the days of the Corporate Ministry, DG-X and, of course, the 'People's Champion' (The Rock, A.K.A. Dwayne Johnson). Great stuff. I even remember recording all the monthly big events from 1-4 on Monday mornings (sucks to live in England), then watch them in full after school. It didn't last though, the plotlines starting going downhill around 2002-ish and I eventually stopped watching it altogether.

This thread appearing is a bit of a coincidence though as I've recently starting watching them again occasionally (mainly for the laughs though). It sure brought back a wave of nostalgia in my head, although some of the older guys I barely recognized. The likes of Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker look the same, but the Hardy boys look so old and bloated now. Anyway, I'd never get back into it the way I used to, no matter how good it might be now. I simply can't afford the time for a soap addiction these days, it's the same reason I'm afraid to get into MMORPGs.

I understand many people at the time during 2002 stopped watching, the reason it started to slow down is because WWE became the only major promotion (After WCW died out and Vince McMahon bought the remains.) WWE will never be that edgy again quite simply because they do not have any competition.

Anyway if you are looking for the soap opera type stuff the WWE is for you, if you are looking for quality in the actual match try watching some NWA stuff or Japanese pro wrestling. If you want a short and good match type up KENTA vs. Morishima on Youtube.

Brett Hart, Shawn Michaels, C-lo Brown and the days before the rock was a somebody were freaking awesome- except for X-pac. Man that guy was a weedle.

I understand many people at the time during 2002 stopped watching, the reason it started to slow down is because WWE became the only major promotion (After WCW died out and Vince McMahon bought the remains.) WWE will never be that edgy again quite simply because they do not have any competition.
Now you mention it, that explains everything perfectly. I'm sort of glad that I was able to experience the show at its peak.

It also just occurred to me that I've recently seen the film The Wrestler (which is brilliant btw for anyone who hasn't yet seen it), so that might explain my recent curiosity in WWE.

When I went to see The Wrestler there were not many people there because many are in the mind state of "lolwrestling" the movie was great it did not try to tell the story in kayfabe (Such as Ready 2 Rumble did) Pro Wrestling in other countries is a different culture and some wrestlers around the world have become to be known as Nationally beloved Heroes such as El Santo in Mexico.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I've been a fan of pro-wrestling ever since I can remember. My Dad's a fan and even my late grandma was a fan. When I was just a nipper we would go to my grans for tea and gather around the telly to watch the old ITV Wrestling with Big Daddy and the occassional appearance of the Dynamite Kid. As I got older I made the transition to WWF, I remember watching the Hogan/Warrior match from Mania VI over and over again up until the point that my parents were about ready to go insane and smash up the VCR.

I turned my back on WWF when WCW rolled into town though and showed me what a real wrestling promotion was about. While the WWF was faffing on with screwjobs and frankly embarassing storylines, WCW was on fire. Anyone remember the Owen Hart tribute match between Bret and Benoit? Best match I've ever seen, hands down. There was a period of time where everything was just perfect. I think it's testimony to WCW's success that the majority of WWE's big stars in recent years were products of WCW. Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Booker T, Rey Mysterio Jr, The Giant, Goldberg...I could list them all day.

When WCW went under I made the obvious transition back to WWF but it wasn't long before I became dissillusioned with that again...I remember the exact point that I said "oh fuck this" was when they were doing the whole 'DDP is stalking the Undertaker's wife' storyline. Complete waste of Page's talent.

I picked it up again for a bit just to laugh at the stupidity of the Cena stage. That was so bad it was funny although I don't know if that's what the WWE writers intended (which only served to make it funnier).

So anyway nobody in my house watches wrestling anymore. :( My dad still occassionally goes off on tangents about how it's not what it used to be etc. We've been getting into TNA in recent years and we really like what we see tbh but I think the flame's gone now and it's more of a "we'll watch it when nothing else is on" rather than the old "rush in from work every Monday to watch WCW" that it used to be.

/nostalgia

Lee DDP was always just a greasy old man to begin with, the stalker angle only complimented his creeper value IMO

Dynamite Kid was a great pro wrestler, but a rotten person for god sakes he threatened his wife with a shotgun it wasn't loaded, but he said "Next time it will be loaded" he also had a bad attitude with fans apparently. Chris Jericho when he was younger was approaching Dynamite Kid in a bar with a pen and paper to get his autograph, but Dynamite Kid responded with "Don't even fucking try it." If anything Dynamite Kid deserves every bad thing that has happened to him today he is in a wheelchair and has one leg.

The major wrestler Dynamite Kid inspired was Chris Benoit my favorite wrestler and look how he turned out in the his final days left with brain damage and ended up killing his wife and little son.

Oh yay :). I read a lot of rumors about it since like September, but lost hope when months passed by and she never re-debuted.

I've been a fan of pro-wrestling ever since I can remember. My Dad's a fan and even my late grandma was a fan. When I was just a nipper we would go to my grans for tea and gather around the telly to watch the old ITV Wrestling with Big Daddy and the occassional appearance of the Dynamite Kid. As I got older I made the transition to WWF, I remember watching the Hogan/Warrior match from Mania VI over and over again up until the point that my parents were about ready to go insane and smash up the VCR.

I turned my back on WWF when WCW rolled into town though and showed me what a real wrestling promotion was about. While the WWF was faffing on with screwjobs and frankly embarassing storylines, WCW was on fire. Anyone remember the Owen Hart tribute match between Bret and Benoit? Best match I've ever seen, hands down. There was a period of time where everything was just perfect. I think it's testimony to WCW's success that the majority of WWE's big stars in recent years were products of WCW. Chris Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Chris Benoit, Booker T, Rey Mysterio Jr, The Giant, Goldberg...I could list them all day.

When WCW went under I made the obvious transition back to WWF but it wasn't long before I became dissillusioned with that again...I remember the exact point that I said "oh fuck this" was when they were doing the whole 'DDP is stalking the Undertaker's wife' storyline. Complete waste of Page's talent.

I picked it up again for a bit just to laugh at the stupidity of the Cena stage. That was so bad it was funny although I don't know if that's what the WWE writers intended (which only served to make it funnier).

So anyway nobody in my house watches wrestling anymore. :( My dad still occassionally goes off on tangents about how it's not what it used to be etc. We've been getting into TNA in recent years and we really like what we see tbh but I think the flame's gone now and it's more of a "we'll watch it when nothing else is on" rather than the old "rush in from work every Monday to watch WCW" that it used to be.

/nostalgia
I did enjoy the Owen Hart tribute match, although I preferred WWF to WCW during that period. Give me guys like The Rock, Shawn Michaels, Edge, The Undertaker, Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle over the guys who were stars in WCW.

You're assessment of how big WCW stars became in WWF isn't entirely accurate. A lot of those guys benefited from wrestlers migrating out of WWF after they purchased WCW. Chris Jericho and The Giant got huge on their own, but if Brock Lesnar, The Rock, Kurt Angle, Stone Cold Steve Austin, and Shawn Michaels don't leave WWF, it's hard to imagine guys like Booker T, Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero, and Rey Mysterio getting title reigns. On top of that, Goldberg didn't do anything in WWF. WCW's entire main event roster was built on guys they took from WWF anyway. Hogan, Savage, Lex Luger, Hall and Nash, Jeff Jarrett, and Bret Hart just to name a few, and that's a testament to WWE's ability to build stars.

You are right on the money about DDP, though.

Wrestling will never get back to the way it used to be because of WWE's new child friendly stance.

As far as TNA is concerned, I really liked that promotion a few years ago, but I think now they're moving in the direction of WWE-Lite, which is pretty annoying.

Anyway, this thread was intended to be the discussion thread for people who currently watch wrestling and the current goings on in WWE and TNA, if there are any wrestling fans on Smogon, so hopefully we can stick to that.

As far as Petey Williams is concerned, I don't think he has a chance to go to WWE, which is sad because I like him, and it's just another step in the wrong direction for TNA.

As far as WWE goes, what does anyone who watches wrestling still think is going down at Wrestlemania? I'll post my opinion later. Hopefully, we can keep this thread going.

As far as current events TJ Wilson has recently debuted in the WWE as Tyson Kid with his valet (and future wife) Natalya Neidhart. I expect great things from him.

Low Ki is signed with WWE at the moment is doing matches in FCW (WWE's development area.) and I really hope Low Ki succeeds I have been a fan of his for a while from seeing his stuff all over from TNA, ROH, and Japan.

Tyson Kids debut was awesome.
I miss D-Lo Brown, he re-debuted but kinda just stopped. What ended up happening to Elijah Burke and Bobby Lashley?

gec

pharos
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Yay, we get a thread :D.

But only to bitch. Pro Wrestling as Lee said is nothing that is used to be. Heck, even TNA (my favourite promotion) is going downhill; it's just becoming WWE all over again. Back in 2002-2005 were their best times when they actually cared about talent, with factions like S.E.X making things even hotter (like NWO from WCW).

But this whole feud between MEM and TNA Frontline is really pisstaking because TNA need to show why they're so good; wrestling, not crappy storylines. If I wanted to see some crappy talent and people who don't know how to book, I would watch WWE to see John Cena (ARGH) headline Wrestlemania for like the 3rd time in 4 years.

Speaking of WWE, wow they have gone downhill. Their only saving grace is that Edge and Randy Orton are perfect right now; the biggest heels on their respective promotions (well done bookers!). I don't really mind seeing Triple H holding the title for the 13th time because it's better than seeing no talent douches like John Cena holding it multiple times. (Speaking of which, why in HELL did they let Cena beat Jericho when Cena returned?!).

/poorly structured rant.

Tyson Kids debut was awesome.
I miss D-Lo Brown, he re-debuted but kinda just stopped. What ended up happening to Elijah Burke and Bobby Lashley?

D'lo Brown got released earlier this year, Elijah Burke got released late last year, and Bobby Lashley asked for his release early last year and is currently doing MMA.

But this whole feud between MEM and TNA Frontline is really pisstaking because TNA need to show why they're so good; wrestling, not crappy storylines.
If it was done properly, it'd be a good storyline.. but apparently someone over at TNA thinks the best way to get AJ, Joe, etc more over is to have Sting feud Kurt Angle (my view: this should have happened after Sting lost the belt).

Speaking of which, why in HELL did they let Cena beat Jericho when Cena returned?!
Because Cena sells more merchandise than anyone except Hogan in the heyday..

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Heh, I agree with you for the most part dude, especially the first two paragraphs.

The 'Attitude era' which you're referring to was definitely the high point of WWF/E, it was far better back then. The storylines were more fresh, you couldn't always predict what was going to happen (though admittedly I've found it slightly harder to predict what happens these days so that's a good sign).

I was shocked at Edge making it into the second Elimination Chamber out of nowhere and winning, but once he came to the ring (and wasn't one of the first two in) you knew he'd come out on top. Every other match was a bit predictable though.

I knew they'd eventually bring HHH into the storyline with Randy Orton, so that's going to be the Main Event at Wrestlemania, as HHH always gets his own way and has to be in a big match there.

Shawn Michaels vs. The Undertaker promises to be an amazing match at Wrestlemania (let's face it, it's got to happen at WM25, JBL isn't getting there over Shawn surely), but they can't break Takers streak.

I also watch a bit of TNA, but it's hard to keep up with on Bravo, they seem to show random episodes all the time, and honestly, it's a bit shit anyway lol.

Oh, and awesome, someone finally made a wrestling thread, I was gonna do this eventually but now I dont have to :)

I stopped watching back in '07. My bro and me watched it together yet he claimed he outgrew it (he was 12 then). Currently trying to get back into wrestling because I loved it.

I watched the last half of Smackdown! 2 weeks before Wrestlemania. I have a few questions (if somebody doesn't mind answering):

1) When/why did Big Show return?

2) What's with the mixed up roster? Huge ass draft pick? Titles got swapped again, JR is on Smackdown, along with many other previous RAW superstars.

3) What got JBL wrestling again?

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1) Big Show always felt unfit and was carrying a lot of injuries after wrestling over the years, so he eventually 'retired', but in reality he only took time off to get over these injuries and lose weight, both of which he did. He claimed to have lost 108lbs on his return, but they bill him at 441 now (assumingly to class him as 'larger' than The Great Khali who stands at 7'3 and weighs 420).

2) There is a draft pick every year, and there will be another one a week after Wrestlemania 25. Sadly, JR and King got split in the last draft, which sucks. I hope they go back to JR and King eventually, I hate Michael Cole and Tazz isn't the best commentator either. They like to keep things fresh I guess, so swapping a handful of stars every so often means they can make new storylines and fans won't get bored of the 'same old'. There's also a supposed 'talent swap' deal with SmackDown! and ECW, which is why you'll often see ECW stars on SmackDown! as well, though I think this has happened with RAW now too. However, you're less likely to see SmackDown! or RAW superstars heading over to ECW for bit-part matches. So it's not really that much of a talent swap, it just keeps the more highly rated ECW stars in the limelight more on the real brands.

3) During a match for the WWE Championship in 2007, Randy Orton threw Chris Jericho over the announce table, into JBL. Jericho then pushed JBL when both men got to their feet, which provoked JBL into relatiation, costing Jericho the title. This brought on further response from Jericho, challenging JBL. JBL announced that he was leaving SmackDown! for RAW and eventually did in very late December to take on Jericho at the Royal Rumble in January. Jericho was disqualified in their match at the Royal Rumble, but eventually beat JBL in a match on RAW in February and the fued basically ended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)