Ability: Torrent
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Tera Type: Steel
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Flip Turn
- Psychic Noise

Today we sing the praises of Primarina in OU! Boasting a near-unresisted STAB combination, good defensive typing, and special bulk further raised by Assault Vest, Primarina sits as a superb pivoting option with Flip Turn for bulky offense and offense teams. It excels at switching into and threatening Pokemon such as Heatran, Walking Wake, Iron Valiant, and Dragapult. Psychic Noise allows it to deprive defensive Pokemon such as Clodsire, Blissey, and Terastallized Skeledirge of their recovery, disrupting stall teams in particular. Tera Steel removes its weakness to Electric and allows it to resist Grass and Poison as well as Freeze-Dry to then KO its would-be checks. It also grants a useful resistance to Kingambit's Iron Head, Adamant variants of which are always outsped using 176 Speed EVs. Because Primarina gets preyed on by faster threats like Ogerpon-W, Rillaboom, Kyurem, and Raging Bolt, teammates that check them such as Dragapult and Morning Sun Volcarona are greatly appreciated. Since Galarian Slowking greatly takes advantage of Primarina's presence, preemptively using Flip Turn to bring in wallbreakers like Kingambit and Roaring Moon is a great way to keep up momentum.

Last edited by a moderator:
add remove highlight comment

Sorry this looks like a lot, most of it is just me rambling. Please tag me again after implemented and I'll give it another look

:sv/primarina:
Primarina @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Flip Turn
- Psychic Noise

Today we sing the praises of Primarina in OU! Boasting a near unresisted STAB combination, good defensive typing and special bulk further raised by Assault Vest, Primarina sits as a superb option on balance and offense teams. (I would rather say BO and Offense teams. Its lack of recovery makes it harder to use on Balance even as a pivot since you have Pokemon like Alomomola and Galarian Slowking that can function similarly) It excels at switching into and KOing threats such as Choice Scarf Gholdengo, Heatran, Choice Specs Walking Wake, and most Iron Valiant and Dragapult; (Would rather say "threaten Pokemon such as Walking Wake, Dragapult, Iron Valiant, and Heatran." Gholdengo is a bit less important as a mention, and "KOing" can be a bit misleading since most of these are going to switch out) though when healthy it also has the power and bulk to either force a trade with just about anything in the tier, thanks to Moonblast and Surf's powerful STAB combo, (Personally think it would be more fruitful to mention a couple other things instead of this. First its ability to tank even super effective hits like Kyurem's Freeze Dry, Raging Bolt's Thunderbolt, and Serperior's Leaf Storm if need be. The second is its good matchup into physical threats like Weavile and Hisuian Samurott. You could only include the first point but yeah. I feel the "trading" aspect you mentioned is fine but it gets trickier once you start thinking about examples and how they work out in practice) or bring in one of its offensive teammates safely via Flip Turn when facing faster opponents or predicting a switch, forcing progress. (I feel this doesnt make Flip Turn justice. As I said, the Pokemon you threaten like Iron Valiant and Dragapult wont be staying in, and will instead pivot to one of its teammates like Galarian Slowking or Clefable, so you will be clicking Flip Turn a lot as they switch into said Pokemon. Try to make emphasis on that) Psychic Noise allows it to prive defensive Pokémon such as Amnesia (Clodsire period, even non Amnesia variants can Toxic you and switch around) Clodsire, Blissey, bulky Gouging Fire, (this probably happens under very specific scenarios, Gouging can win this interaction pretty easily) and Terastallized Skeledirge of their recovery, (Could be good to mention their recovery moves specifically but will let you decide) making them easier for Primarina's team to wear down, disrupting stall teams in particular. (Could remove this part so its less demanding for the reader, will let you decide) Because Primarina gets preyed on by faster threats like Meowscarada, Ogerpon-W, Rillaboom, Kyurem, and Raging Bolt, teammates that check and set up on them such as Skarmory/Corviknight (Not very common partners) Dragapult and Morning Sun Volcarona are greatly appreciated. (Galarian Slowking switching into Primarina is a really big interaction that needs mention, here you can mention Kingambit and Roaring Moon as partner's that deal with it, while in turn Primarina can threaten the likes of Iron Valiant and Skarmory) Tera Steel alleviates the pressure on Primarina's teammates by allowing it to turn the tables on it's checks and KO them back, (mention said moves, such as Rillaboom's Grassy Glide and Wood Hammer, and Kyurem's Freeze Dry) as well as avoiding Toxic (Note that you avoid Toxic from Clodsire, Toxapex, and Gliscor. These might be not the most straightforward interactions however, I would personally remove this part) and handling Iron Head Kingambit, whose fast sets are always outsped with 176 Speed EVs. (This part reads really weird since you tried to explain everything at once. Just mention how Tera Steel grants Primarina a resistance to Kingambit's Iron Head, while 176 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed Adamant Kingambit)

Last edited:

Sorry this looks like a lot, most of it is just me rambling. Please tag me again after implemented and I'll give it another look

Primarina @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Flip Turn
- Psychic Noise

Today we sing the praises of Primarina in OU! Boasting a near unresisted STAB combination, good defensive typing and special bulk further raised by Assault Vest, Primarina sits as a superb option on balance and offense teams. (I would rather say BO and Offense teams. Its lack of recovery makes it harder to use on Balance even as a pivot since you have Pokemon like Alomomola and Galarian Slowking that can function similarly) It excels at switching into and KOing threats such as Choice Scarf Gholdengo, Heatran, Choice Specs Walking Wake, and most Iron Valiant and Dragapult; (Would rather say "threaten Pokemon such as Walking Wake, Dragapult, Iron Valiant, and Heatran." Gholdengo is a bit less important as a mention, and "KOing" can be a bit misleading since most of these are going to switch out) though when healthy it also has the power and bulk to either force a trade with just about anything in the tier, thanks to Moonblast and Surf's powerful STAB combo, (Personally think it would be more fruitful to mention a couple other things instead of this. First its ability to tank even super effective hits like Kyurem's Freeze Dry, Raging Bolt's Thunderbolt, and Serperior's Leaf Storm if need be. The second is its good matchup into physical threats like Weavile and Hisuian Samurott. You could only include the first point but yeah. I feel the "trading" aspect you mentioned is fine but it gets trickier once you start thinking about examples and how they work out in practice) or bring in one of its offensive teammates safely via Flip Turn when facing faster opponents or predicting a switch, forcing progress. (I feel this doesnt make Flip Turn justice. As I said, the Pokemon you threaten like Iron Valiant and Dragapult wont be staying in, and will instead pivot to one of its teammates like Galarian Slowking or Clefable, so you will be clicking Flip Turn a lot as they switch into said Pokemon. Try to make emphasis on that) Psychic Noise allows it to prive defensive Pokémon such as Amnesia (Clodsire period, even non Amnesia variants can Toxic you and switch around) Clodsire, Blissey, bulky Gouging Fire, (this probably happens under very specific scenarios, Gouging can win this interaction pretty easily) and Terastallized Skeledirge of their recovery, (Could be good to mention their recovery moves specifically but will let you decide) making them easier for Primarina's team to wear down, disrupting stall teams in particular. (Could remove this part so its less demanding for the reader, will let you decide) Because Primarina gets preyed on by faster threats like Meowscarada, Ogerpon-W, Rillaboom, Kyurem, and Raging Bolt, teammates that check and set up on them such as Skarmory/Corviknight (Not very common partners) Dragapult and Morning Sun Volcarona are greatly appreciated. (Galarian Slowking switching into Primarina is a really big interaction that needs mention, here you can mention Kingambit and Roaring Moon as partner's that deal with it, while in turn Primarina can threaten the likes of Iron Valiant and Skarmory) Tera Steel alleviates the pressure on Primarina's teammates by allowing it to turn the tables on it's checks and KO them back, (mention said moves, such as Rillaboom's Grassy Glide and Wood Hammer, and Kyurem's Freeze Dry) as well as avoiding Toxic (Note that you avoid Toxic from Clodsire, Toxapex, and Gliscor. These might be not the most straightforward interactions however, I would personally remove this part) and handling Iron Head Kingambit, whose fast sets are always outsped with 176 Speed EVs. (This part reads really weird since you tried to explain everything at once. Just mention how Tera Steel grants Primarina a resistance to Kingambit's Iron Head, while 176 Speed EVs allows it to outspeed Adamant Kingambit)
Alright, made changes, please tell me if you agree with what i wrote. Sorry if it i'm not as qualified as i should be to write these, it's my first time writing anything like this

Not at all, think you did a great job and you put a ton of care into it. All of my comments this time are "You could do this but feel free not to".
Thanks again!
QC 1/1

Primarina @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Flip Turn
- Psychic Noise

Today we sing the praises of Primarina in OU! Boasting a near unresisted STAB combination, good defensive typing and special bulk further raised by Assault Vest, Primarina sits as a superb option on bulky offense and offense teams. It excels at switching into and threatening Pokémon such as Heatran, Choice Specs Walking Wake, and most (You could remove this for simplicity sake up to you) Iron Valiant and Dragapult. Using Flip Turn predicting switch-ins, like the common Slowking-Galar or Clefable, allows Primarina to bring out it's offensive teammates safely, keeping up momentum and forcing KOs. Psychic Noise allows it to prive defensive Pokémon such as Clodsire, Blissey, and Terastallized Skeledirge of their recovery, making them easier for Primarina's team to wear down, disrupting stall teams in particular. (Could also remove this for simplicity sake up to you) When healthy, it also has the bulk to tank super effective hits such as Serperior's Leaf Storm, Raging Bolt's Thunderbolt and Kyurem's Freeze Dry, as well as being able to face Weavile and Samurott-Hisui Hisuian Samurott if necessary. Because Primarina gets preyed on by faster threats like Meowscarada, Ogerpon-W, Rillaboom, Kyurem, and Raging Bolt, teammates that check them such as Dragapult and Morning Sun Volcarona are greatly appreciated. Since Slowking-Galar Galarian Slowking greatly abuses Primarina's presence, preemptively using Flip Turn to bring in wallbreakers like Kingambit, Roaring Moon and Heatran (Didnt get a chance to mention it last time but Heatran isnt a very common partner, though the justification you gave me does make sense and they have more synergy. Feel free to keep or remove, up to you) is a great way to keep up momentum. Tera Steel alleviates the pressure on Primarina's teammates by allowing it to turn the tables on it's mentioned checks and KO them back, (If you cant fit examples due to the word length thats fine, though I really feel this needs to specificy at least the typings) as well as tanking Kingambit's Iron Head, whose fast sets are always outsped with 176 Speed EVs. (Still feel this reads a bit weird. Maybe like "as well as granting it with a resistance to Kingambit's Iron Head, and which Adamant variants are outsped thanks to the 176 Speed EVs". Feel free to leave this as is however, gp team can give another perspective. Mine is just that readers shouldnt be expected to know what "fast sets" means)

SolarBeam

not on fire (yet)
is a Contributor to Smogon
1/1, GP Team done

blue = add
red = remove
(orange) = comment

Primarina @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Flip Turn
- Psychic Noise

Today we sing the praises of Primarina in OU! Boasting a near-unresisted (AH) STAB combination, good defensive typing, (AC) and special bulk further raised by Assault Vest, Primarina sits as a superb option on bulky offense and offense teams. It excels at switching into and threatening Pokémon Pokemon such as Heatran, Choice Specs Walking Wake, Iron Valiant, (AC) and Dragapult. Using Flip Turn predicting switch-ins, like the common Galarian Slowking or and Clefable, allows Primarina to bring out its (RA) offensive teammates safely, keeping up momentum and forcing KOs. Psychic Noise allows it to prive deprive defensive Pokémon Pokemon such as Clodsire, Blissey, and Terastallized Skeledirge of their recovery, making them easier for Primarina's team to wear down, disrupting stall teams in particular. When healthy, it also has the bulk to tank super effective hits such as Serperior's Leaf Storm, Raging Bolt's Thunderbolt, (AC) and Kyurem's Freeze-Dry (AH), as well as being able to face Weavile and Hisuian Samurott if necessary. Because Primarina gets preyed on by faster threats like Meowscarada, Ogerpon-W, Rillaboom, Kyurem, and Raging Bolt, teammates that check them such as Dragapult and Morning Sun Volcarona are greatly appreciated. Since Galarian Slowking greatly abuses takes advantage of (can rephrase to something else if you want, just don't use abuse) Primarina's presence, preemptively using Flip Turn to bring in wallbreakers like Kingambit and Roaring Moon is a great way to keep up momentum. Tera Steel alleviates the pressure on Primarina's teammates by allowing it to resist Grass-, Electric-, and Poison-type moves as well as Freeze-Dry (AH) to then KO its (RA) would-be checks. It also grants a useful resistance to Kingambit's Iron Head, whose Adamant variants of which are always outsped using 176 Speed EVs.

Hey, there's a mention of Tera Steel letting it resist Electric-type moves. Hope its not too late to remove

Primarina @ Assault Vest
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Moonblast
- Flip Turn
- Psychic Noise

Today we sing the praises of Primarina in OU! Boasting a near-unresisted STAB combination, good defensive typing, and special bulk further raised by Assault Vest, Primarina sits as a superb option on bulky offense and offense teams. It excels at switching into and threatening Pokemon such as Heatran, Choice Specs Walking Wake, Iron Valiant, and Dragapult. Using Flip Turn predicting switch-ins, like the common Galarian Slowking and Clefable, allows Primarina to bring out its offensive teammates safely, keeping up momentum and forcing KOs. Psychic Noise allows it to deprive defensive Pokemon such as Clodsire, Blissey, and Terastallized Skeledirge of their recovery, making them easier for Primarina's team to wear down, disrupting stall teams in particular. When healthy, it also has the bulk to tank super effective hits such as Serperior's Leaf Storm, Raging Bolt's Thunderbolt, and Kyurem's Freeze-Dry, as well as face Weavile and Hisuian Samurott if necessary. Because Primarina gets preyed on by faster threats like Meowscarada, Ogerpon-W, Rillaboom, Kyurem, and Raging Bolt, teammates that check them such as Dragapult and Morning Sun Volcarona are greatly appreciated. Since Galarian Slowking greatly takes advantage of Primarina's presence, preemptively using Flip Turn to bring in wallbreakers like Kingambit and Roaring Moon is a great way to keep up momentum. Tera Steel alleviates the pressure on Primarina's teammates by allowing it to resist Grass-, Electric-, and Poison-type moves as well as Freeze-Dry to then KO its would-be checks. It also grants a useful resistance to Kingambit's Iron Head, Adamant variants of which are always outsped using 176 Speed EVs.

Last edited:

SolarBeam

not on fire (yet)
is a Contributor to Smogon
Hey, not sure when this was added but it mentions Tera Steel lets it resist Electric-type moves. Hope its not too late to remove
My fault for not catching the inclusion. Could use "Tera Steel alleviates the pressure on Primarina's teammates by removing its weakness to Grass, Electric, and Poison as well as Freeze-Dry...", remove the reference entirely with "Tera Steel alleviates the pressure on Primarina's teammates by allowing it to resist Grass and Poison as well as Freeze-Dry...", or combine both with "Tera Steel alleviates the pressure on Primarina's teammates by removing its weakness to Electric and allowing it to resist Grass and Poison as well as Freeze-Dry...". I think the last one works best.

Hi! I have a translation question: when you write

is it only Walking Wake that has Choice Specs or all three Pokemon?
Thank you in advance for your answer!
Wake runs Specs most of the time in serious play (sun teams specifically almost always use it) to make the most out of Protosynthesis Speed, dealing absurd amounts of damage and remaining a very hard to outspeed wallbreaker, but that's it's main thing so it's mentioned as choice specs wake. While valiant and pult (the latter especially) can run specs, they run a plethora of different sets, all of which primarina (mostly, the exception is sd valiant due to the given EVs, which i did bring up discussion about on the OU discord) eats up, like wisp hex pult or the many valiant sets' variants

Therefore i think it makes more sense to bring up specs as the de facto wake breaker set, which is what makes it so hard to switch into the first place, giving primarina that genuine niche it does great at

To answer your question specifically though wake is the only one who is mentioned as specs and specs alone, not really sure how it's like in french but in portuguese we just go for a direct tl, leaving it intact since we don't have localized names and the order we bring it up in does not particularly matter

just came home after a long day sleepy asf sorry if this is not coherent lol

Last edited:

Marnie

Leap of Faith
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributor
Social Media Head
This spotlight was sitting at 1437 characters, which is significantly way above the limit; I've editted the OP and trimmed it down myself (1011 characters now).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)