Predicting in a new age metagame: An XY Warstory

A few weeks ago, I took a look at some of the new pokemon with this gen and realized a synergy between Blastoise and Talonflame. I posted it a couple places here, and considering Blastoise is Talonflame's third biggest team member (and I think Greninja is from the RS days), I'd say it was a success. But despite knowing I succeeded, I didn't KNOW I succeeded. For various reasons, I didn't have an actual team on Showdown, and the lack of real testing hurt. But after some changes (read: Mega Blastoise became legal with Aura Sphere) I was ready to begin my team testing.

ouyfiuf joined.
mattman324 joined.

(couldn't find two of those in motion)
Anyway, my team is built on a simple purpose - switch in the thing that does the best, and punish the opponent. It isn't Hyper Offense in the strictest sense of the term, because Hyper Offense seems to imply a lot of set up sweepers that I don't have (you probably see four potential set up sweepers - only one of them actually does it.) It's not Sticky Web weak like EVERY TEAM seems to be, although it is somewhat SR weak in return.

My opponent, however, was running this.

(again, couldn't find a Florges gif)
I don't know what to think about this team. It looks like a more defensive based team, but then there's Alakazam and Talonflame. It can't be offense based, Ferrothorn and Vaporeon DON'T WORK on an offensive team. That, and considering two potential megas... It's... I'm not sure, it's a team definitely. It DOES seem to have decent coverage of resistances.

Format:
OU (beta)
Rated battle

Evasion Abilities Clause: Evasion abilities are banned
Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokemon
OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
Moody Clause: Moody is banned
Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
HP Percentage Mod: HP is reported as percentages
ouyfiuf's team: Ferrothorn / Florges / Talonflame / Garchomp / Alakazam / Vaporeon
mattman324's team: Blastoise / Talonflame / Noivern / Gliscor / Aegislash / Azumarill
Right, let's do this. I see a few good leads here, and I'm not entirely sure who I should go with... but I can say that other than Vaporeon and Mega Alakazam, nothing can immediately threaten Gliscor. Let's try him.

mattman324: GL
Battle between ouyfiuf and mattman324 started!
Go! Ferrothorn!
mattman324 sent out Glidewing (Gliscor)!

: 100%
vs
And I can't possibly have a better starting matchup. Ferrothorn cannot win this match, and he should know it. I'm going to lead with Taunt JUUUUST in case he does believe that he can try something funny. And besides, if I happen to catch a switch in that dislikes Taunt, then it will work anyway.

ouyfiuf: u2
Ferrothorn, come back!
Go! Talonflame!
The foe's Glidewing used Taunt!
Talonflame fell for the taunt!
The foe's Glidewing's Toxic Orb activated!
The foe's Glidewing was badly poisoned!
: 100%, with Toxic Poison and Poison Heal.
: 100% but Taunted

Well that... could be useful. Talonflame does use a lot of moves that require it not to be Taunted (Swords Dance, Bulk Up, Tailwind...), and without setup it can't beat me. However, no matter what happens, a flying attack from this will HURT. I know there's no more Flying Gem Acrobatics shenanigans, but Brave Bird is still quite a thing. I'll Roost, and see what he does.

What follows is two turns of me predicting basically the same way as I did above. Playing it safe, using Gliscor's defensive abilities and movepool to keep ahead.
TURN 2:
Talonflame used U-turn!
It's not very effective... The foe's Glidewing lost 5.1% of its health!
Talonflame went back to ouyfiuf!
Go! Ferrothorn!
The foe's Glidewing used Roost!
The foe's Glidewing regained health!

TURN 3:

Ferrothorn, come back!
Go! Vaporeon!
Vaporeon fell for the taunt!
POKEMON: See above, sub taunted Talonflame for taunted Vaporeon.

That couldn't have ended too much better. He didn't deal lasting damage, and a Taunted Vaporeon can't hurt Blastoise at all. It's time to enter HYPAH MODE!

Turn 4
mattman324 withdrew Glidewing (Gliscor)!
mattman324 sent out Launchpad (Blastoise)!
Vaporeon used Ice Beam!
It's not very effective... The foe's Launchpad lost 8.6% of its health!
: 91.4%, ready to TRANSFORM.

: 100%, Taunted.

Ladies and gentlemen, cue up your favorite transformation music, it's time to Mega Evolve.

Unfortunately, I misclick here. A quick look at his team pretty much tells me what he's going to do - a Ferrothorn switch is incoming. However, I accidentally click Dark Pulse...

Turn 5
Vaporeon, come back!
Go! Ferrothorn!
Blastoise has Mega Evolved into Mega Blastoise!
The foe's Launchpad used Dark Pulse!
Ferrothorn lost 35.8% of its health!
Ferrothorn restored HP using its Leftovers!
: 91.4%
: 70.5%

It still does a lot - that attack was effectively STAB - but Aura Sphere would have punched a hole in it.

Turn 6
The foe's Launchpad used Aura Sphere!
It's super effective! Ferrothorn lost 68.2% of its health!
Ferrothorn used Leech Seed!
The foe's Launchpad was seeded!
The foe's Launchpad's health is sapped by Leech Seed!
: 79% and Leech Seeded

: 22%

Ugh. Well, this is now a losing game. I'll just get out of here now, and send in this guy's BEEEST FRIEND.

Turn 7
mattman324 withdrew Launchpad (Blastoise)!
Ferrothorn used Protect!
But it failed!
: 100%, Poison Heal ON.
: 28%

Second verse, same as the first, a little bit faster and you know how this stuff goes.

Turn 8
Ferrothorn, come back!
Go! Vaporeon!
Vaporeon fell for the taunt!
Turn 9
The foe's Glidewing used U-turn!
Vaporeon lost 11.6% of its health!
The foe's Glidewing went back to mattman324!
Vaporeon used Ice Beam!
It's not very effective... The foe's Launchpad lost 8.0% of its health!
Vaporeon restored HP using its Leftovers!
: 71%

: 95%

Yeah, we all saw this coming. What's interesting is that my past misclick means I know a bit more about his bulk on the Ferrothorn - I can Dark Pulse with nigh-imputanty.
Turn 10
Vaporeon, come back!
Go! Florges!
Florges has Flower Veil!
The foe's Launchpad used Dark Pulse!
It's not very effective... Florges lost 14.2% of its health!
Florges restored HP using its Leftovers!
: 92%

Key word being "nigh". I forget Florges resisted Dark Pulse, for some reason. Oh well, I have a free switch in to this thing.

Turn 11
mattman324 sent out SwordOfAegis (Aegislash)!
Florges used Energy Ball!
It's not very effective... The foe's SwordOfAegis lost 9.3% of its health!
Florges restored HP using its Leftovers!
The foe's SwordOfAegis restored HP using its Leftovers!
: 97%
: 99%
All I have to say about the name is gunter glieben glauchen globen.

Yeah, he's switching. But to who? My money is on Talonflame because it can kill most Aegislash. However...

Turn 12
Florges, come back!
Go! Talonflame!
The foe's SwordOfAegis used Flash Cannon!
It's not very effective... Talonflame lost 40.1% of its health!
: 100% (blade form)

Pound for pound, I have to say I prefer pure special Aegislash to anything. He's unexpected, powerful, and kills a lot of the normal switchins to Aegislash without issue.

...that said, I still find myself having to King's Shield here.

Turn 13
The foe's SwordOfAegis used King's Shield!
Talonflame used Taunt!
The foe's SwordOfAegis fell for the taunt!
They learn that? That's... that's a new one. Well, I can still get a single attack off, and someone is eating a Shadow Ball.

Turn 14
Talonflame, come back!
Go! Vaporeon!
The foe's SwordOfAegis used Shadow Ball!
Vaporeon lost 38.1% of its health!
: 63%

I could probably win this fight if I wanted too, but at this point I forgot something important and switched to Mega Blastoise. Guess what I forgot?

(also, remember that damage. It will be important later.)

Turn 15
mattman324 withdrew SwordOfAegis (Aegislash)!
Vaporeon used Wish!
Turn 16
The foe's Launchpad used Water Pulse!
Vaporeon restored HP using its Water Absorb!
Vaporeon used Toxic!
The foe's Launchpad was badly poisoned!
Vaporeon's wish came true!
The foe's Launchpad was hurt by poison!
: Back at full health.
: 65%, Toxic timer started.

Did you guess "I forgot Vaporeon had been Taunted every time I switched in Blastoise, and that normally Blastoise will lose to Vappy every time?" If so, you win. Honestly, I don't know how I screwed that one up.

Turn 17
The foe's Launchpad used Aura Sphere!
Vaporeon lost 33.2% of its health!
Vaporeon used Wish!
The foe's Launchpad was hurt by poison!
: 56% and Toxiced.
: 74%, with a Wish incoming.

That was a damage test more than it was an actual attempt to beat Vappy. He has me by the balls, unfortunately, as I have to switch and whoever he puts in will be at somewhat of an advantage. Will he take charge? Will I be put on the ropes? Find out next time on Dragon Ball Z! right now!

Turn 18
mattman324 sent out AssaultAnd (Noivern)!
Vaporeon used Scald!
It's not very effective... The foe's AssaultAnd lost 20.3% of its health!
Vaporeon's wish came true!
: 80%

Now, Noviern can't do much damage to a Vaporeon, but what it CAN do is pivot with U Turn. My opponent has played pretty obviously the whole match, and just based on that I assume he will Ice Beam. Noviern is enough of a potential threat (Choice Specs Draco Meteors HURT, and it can learn things that his Florges don't like either) that he's not going to let this slide. But what he doesn't know is that instead of a Specs, my Noviern is Scarved - nothing on his team but Alakazam has anything to fear (if his Alakazam IS the Mega, it will lose to Noviern no matter what, so that's something).
The foe's AssaultAnd used U-turn!
Vaporeon lost 7.8% of its health!
The foe's AssaultAnd went back to mattman324!
Vaporeon used Ice Beam!
It's not very effective... The foe's SwordOfAegis lost 7.7% of its health!
(both members at 99% health)
Remember how I said that Shadow Ball would be important? It wasn't a lie. What that proved is that I can outdamage his Vaporeon's Wishes, and he can't do anything to stop me from it, considering I know his full set now.

Turn 20
Vaporeon used Wish!
Vaporeon lost 42.7% of its health!
Turn 21
Vaporeon, come back!
Go! Ferrothorn!
Ferrothorn lost 27.6% of its health!
Ferrothorn fainted!
: Bowled over.

People underestimate Special Aegislash. He can do THIS. I like THIS.

Go! Talonflame!
Turn 22
Talonflame used Taunt!
Talonflame lost 59.9% of its health!
Talonflame fainted!
: Clearly not a phoenix.

Now that was just a bad play. You had a chance to kill Aegislash, why not take it? What's worse is I EXPECTED him to do that.

Go! Garchomp!
Now this is interesting. The Taunt makes a bit more sense if he was going for this, EQ can make short work of Aegislash and I can't stop it. Even worse, this thing MAAY be his Mega, and if it is I will need to prepare accordingly. Gliscor is a safe switch in unless he has some move I am unaware of (Surf, maybe?), so let's go for that.
Turn 23
mattman324 withdrew SwordOfAegis (Aegislash)!
Garchomp used Outrage!
A critical hit! The foe's Glidewing lost 91.5% of its health!
The foe's Glidewing restored HP using its Poison Heal!
: 21%

And like that I'm screwed. I could have taken two hits if it didn't crit, but now Gliscor is dead. I may as well go for a Taunt or something, stop his SDing potential.
Turn 24
Garchomp used Outrage!
The foe's Glidewing lost 20.9% of its health!
The foe's Glidewing fainted!
: Simply not OUTRAGEOUS enough.
: 100%, forced to use Outrage this turn.

Yeah, that was the most likely option. The good news is that he cannot switch and will die this turn. He's probably thinking I'm going to slap him with King's Shield.

Garchomp used Outrage!
It's not very effective... The foe's SwordOfAegis lost 33.6% of its health!
The foe's SwordOfAegis used Hidden Power!
It's super effective! Garchomp lost 100% of its health!
Garchomp fainted!
Go! Alakazam!
:
: 73%, Blade Form.

Ok, the Garchomp wasn't Mega, which means this IS. Oh well, Aegislash beats Mega Alakazam.

Turn 26
Alakazam has Mega Evolved into Mega Alakazam!
Alakazam traced the foe's SwordOfAegis's Stance Change!
The foe's SwordOfAegis used King's Shield!
Alakazam used Psyshock!
The foe's SwordOfAegis's King's Shield activated!
: 79%, Shield Forme

uh, pokemon online, we get it, the Alakazam has trace.

Turn 27
Alakazam used Taunt!
It's super effective! Alakazam lost 100% of its health!
Alakazam fainted!
: YOUR SKILLS ARE INFERIO-*bleck*

...why in the world would you Taunt. If anything, that was the time to strike and hope for a crit or something.

Well, this is basically it. Vaporeon (as we now know) cannot beat Aegislash 1v1, and unless Florges has a trick up its sleeve it loses as well. Waiting for the...

ouyfiuf forfeited.
mattman324 won the battle!
Yeah, figured.

So, I guess we have an official MVP of this match!

SwordOfAegis:
Aegislash @ Leftovers
Modest
252 HP, 252 SpA, 4 SpD
~ King's Shield
~ Shadow Ball
~ Flash Cannon
~ HP Ice

Though he's easy enough to beat if you know that he's special, almost all of Aegislash's normal counters are decimated by this set, and as proven it's strong enough to last on its own. Unfortunately this is pretty much all it gets, though I GUESS you could try a different Hidden Power (not recommended.)
Honorable mention for MVP is Gliscor, who owned the early part of that match and went down like a hero.

View a replay of the match here!

Eh, War Stories aren't much fun when the opponent doesn't put up much of a fight. Moreover your thesis regarding Blastoise and Talonflame had nothing to do with the battle itself.

This just plain isn't exciting.

Your opponent made this more of "a day in the career of" story than a "WARstory." I do enjoy the way you write, though! SWORD OF AEGIS, SWORD OF AEGIS! STILL A-SLASHING! SHIELD-AND-SLASHING!

Yeah kind of a boring war story, no offense. Good writing, but I was expecting something exciting to happen and nothing did. Kind of anti-climactic

Stone RG

Megas are broke
meh, i liked it more than the others tbh, kinda lold at the random puns. Special aegi is a thing tho, i did not like the comment at the end :[. I liked the commentary overall, but as others have said, the battle was lacking.

It was an interesting read, I'll say that. I like reading Warstories (although this war reminded me of Germany Vs. France in WWII; one sided beat down) involving the new pokemon, it's good to get a perspective on how they work in the game. Been reading a lot of good news about Aegislash, and your one doesn't prove the news wrong!
A better opponent would've been more interesting though. hell, as far as I saw you didn't even use Azumarill.

On turn 4, when did the Vaporeon get taunted? Am I misreading something (it is late here).

I have to agree with most of the other comments. I started losing faith after the first taunt bad play, but it was locked in as mediocre after the second. Has potential, but a lot of stuff needs cleaning up battle wise.

On at least 95% of these war stories, there's always at least a few comments critiquing the war story as boring. I write war stories, try to think up unique strategies, and am basically here to entertain. So would someone PLEASE tell me what their definition of "exciting" is.

On at least 95% of these war stories, there's always at least a few comments critiquing the war story as boring. I write war stories, try to think up unique strategies, and am basically here to entertain. So would someone PLEASE tell me what their definition of "exciting" is.
If you have to ask...

how will you know you don't like it until after you've read it? :P
still, though, I think what most people mean by exciting is stories that come down to the wire: your last poke vs theirs; or something where you use an interesting or unexpected strategy to win; or something where you manage to come back from behind with skillful plays.
this story is ok, but just seems more like an opponent making some weird plays and then getting swept, and it doesn't even really show off blastoise/talonflame synergy eithrr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)