Post your favorite anime

I've been watching Highschool of the Dead. It's like the anime version of Zombieland; about human survivors trying to stay alive in the zombie apocalyptic world. It's an action/horror series that's been running since July 5th, 2010.

I'm liking it so far, especially me being a fan of zombie related stuff.

I have quite a few animes that I hold in very high regards. I think that I can say that my favorite anime that I ever watched was Case Closed. It's this weird mystery genre anime. If that doesn't count then I'd just have to go with Cowboy Bebop.

I'm primarily a manga reader, though I do watch a few anime. Generally, I like series that were anime first, rather than adapted manga because adaptions tend to fall into the "oh no we caught up to the manga time to make filler" trap.

like others, Cowboy Bebop stands out as my top anime pick, and it also gets a notable distinction in that the dub version outshines the original Japanese. Gritty action combined with introspection of characters, including the one episode wonder characters, with the occasional humor episode. CB is the only series I went out of my way to get on DVD.

My girl is showing, but the anime version of Ouran High School Host Club distinguishes itself from its manga counterpart by making some changes so it stands out on its own, and fixing some of the things the manga got wrong. Watch it subbed, though. Can't stand the dub. If you like shoujo, or more specifically, making fun of shoujo while keeping some seriousness, then Host Club is worth a look.

Reaching into anime that aren't series, there's the very first one I watched: My Neighbor Totoro. Miyazaki movies tend to be a hit or miss with me, (I don't care what anyone says: Nausicaa and Ponyo are crap) but Totoro will always have a place in my heart. My only real issue with Miyazaki is that all his characters look alike, most evidenced when you realize that Satsuki and Kiki are exactly the same and even have the same father.

The old Zoids: Chaotic Century remains my favorite anime since I was.. 8? I also quite enjoy Tsubasa Chronicle, especially its OVAs.

my favorites list includes code geass, hunter x hunter, cromartie, princess mononoke, and kaiji

all are pretty great

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
No offense here but i'll post my true opinions around Naruto, Bleach, Dragon Ball and One Piece because i've seen that a lot of people like those.

Note that this post has mild spoilers.

Naruto, here is what happens in every episode, first of all, the first episodes were about Naruto being a noob in the school and shit, which was boring. Later, they go to training a forest and a villain appears, 100 episodes later, the villain is gone, they celebrate and a new villain appears and naruto goes all "I TRUST MY FRIENDS AND LOVE THEM YOURE GOING DOWN BECAUSE YOU DONT" and all that, repeat that and you have an anime called Naruto. Not to mention from a couple episodes i've watched, they spend like a whole episode staring at the villain thinking about what to do.

Bleach, to be honest i haven't watched it, but from seeing a couple episodes and from people, it appears it has nothing special.

One Piece, i mean c'mon, it's not even a good anime at all, a guy who wanted to become a pirate, alright, so far so good, a couple episodes later, a villain appears. the main guy who i forgot his name (I think it was Suji or something.. i honestly forgot.) appears and saves the situation with his spongy arms, a couple episodes of shit happening (aka filler) and a NEW villain appears, read this paragraph 91910291 and you have an anime called One Piece.

As for Dragon Ball, i don't even have to say anything.

Anyway, as for my favorite anime, it has to be Claymore, while i find Inuyasha pretty interesting, it's kinda the same as Naruto but much much MUCH more mature, i didn't watch it all, though.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The anime that i haven't watched is Bleach.

Bleach, to be honest i haven't watched it all, but from seeing a couple episodes and from people, it appears it has nothing special.
I have watched Naruto in the early episodes but i stopped watching after realizing it's a waste of time, same goes to One Piece. I have watched Dragon Balls when i was a kid too.

Saying Inuyasha is better than Naruto because it's more mature? Lol. Neither is more mature than the other, hell neither are mature at all. Inuyasha is just angst angst angst.

The anime that i haven't watched is Bleach.
Watch it before you comment on it plz.

aVocado

@ Everstone
I stopped seeing both after realizing they suck, i still think Inuyasha is still mature than Naruto.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't like much, but I am a pretty huge fan of Serial Experiments Lain. A post-cyberpunk story that looks to the future, but even 10 years later doesn't look dated. Asks some important questions without being insanely obvious about it. I can't think of anything else in the genre that manages to do that.

Edit: As for FMA vs Brotherhood -- I saw the first episode of Brotherhood and immediately was disgusted. It didn't give me a reason to care. It didn't tell me who anyone was. So I stopped watching that though.

FMA was great though. It did give me a reason to care and follow, and presented these really subtle themes and overall told the story very well. I only saw like the first 20 episodes though and I'm told some of the subtle themes I picked up on were just accidental, so I'm worried.

@Surgo

If you've got a bone to pick with the first 13 episodes of Brotherhood, which do suck, you may want to read the manga instead. Both are good at conveying the story of the manga, which is the whole selling point.

Have fun with the second half of FMA though ;)

I've been watching Highschool of the Dead. It's like the anime version of Zombieland; about human survivors trying to stay alive in the zombie apocalyptic world. It's an action/horror series that's been running since July 5th, 2010.

I'm liking it so far, especially me being a fan of zombie related stuff.
No. It is not like that at all. Just being about zombies does not automatically make something the fucking same as something else. People use this type of untruthful copout all the time when trying to pimp some new product; hell, just compare it to some other popular recent product that has some tenuous connection! Zombieland does not really have much substance, but at its core it is mostly about dealing with other people and coping. High School of the Dead is about tits, tits, tits, tits, tits, tits, tits, tits, tits, "shock value" (the focus in Zombieland is on adults, the focus in High School of the Dead is kids - there is a reason for that), psychotic reactions to the situation (not the same as the coping in Zombieland, which was entirely sane), a violence fetish (in Zombieland the caricature yeehaw guy was as close as we got to that, and even then that was barely an overall focus), and tons of bitching. High School of the Dead does nothing to establish the cogent characterization that Zombieland did, it just gives a shit about tits and shooting shit up.

Reaching into anime that aren't series, there's the very first one I watched: My Neighbor Totoro. Miyazaki movies tend to be a hit or miss with me, (I don't care what anyone says: Nausicaa and Ponyo are crap) but Totoro will always have a place in my heart. My only real issue with Miyazaki is that all his characters look alike, most evidenced when you realize that Satsuki and Kiki are exactly the same and even have the same father.
Nausicaa has some of the best art and animation a movie could have. The style is a little steeped in some of the bad trends of the '80s, but who gives a fuck? The manga is even better (better art, more cogent characterization, and the movie is only the first volume and a half with an incoherent ending tacked on).

Gist about Zombieland not the same as Highschool of Dead
Yeah, I was hoping this anime would be more about zombies and less of the ecchi material. The first few episodes looked promising until some of the later episodes turning out to be centralizing on fan-services. Ugh.

Anyone have good recommendation for some horror anime? Good one was the Ghost Hunt. I loved it.

No. It is not like that at all. Just being about zombies does not automatically make something the fucking same as something else. People use this type of untruthful copout all the time when trying to pimp some new product; hell, just compare it to some other popular recent product that has some tenuous connection! Zombieland does not really have much substance, but at its core it is mostly about dealing with other people and coping. High School of the Dead is about tits, tits, tits, tits, tits, tits, tits, tits, tits, "shock value" (the focus in Zombieland is on adults, the focus in High School of the Dead is kids - there is a reason for that), psychotic reactions to the situation (not the same as the coping in Zombieland, which was entirely sane), a violence fetish (in Zombieland the caricature yeehaw guy was as close as we got to that, and even then that was barely an overall focus), and tons of bitching. High School of the Dead does nothing to establish the cogent characterization that Zombieland did, it just gives a shit about tits and shooting shit up.
lol I've read all the released manga of HSotD and I've watched the Anime and I have to say I 100% agree with this assessment. It's not horrible by any stretch but it's not profound either. Really the only thing exceptional about this anime is the zombie theme because it is rare in anime. It does have a few likable characters, a moderately well written Main and uh... some cool action scenes? I'll still follow it though probably.

@Sei if you're looking for horror anime, you no further than Serial Experiment Lain that was mentioned earlier. Elfen Lied, Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni and Umineko No Naku Koro Ni are also scary as shit good examples.

Oh and there's always EVA, if you haven't watched that before of course.

My personal Favorite anime... I have to say G Gundam LOL So many good moments with that anime. I think they did a good job mixing the Real Robot genre with the campiness of a Super Robot show.

Along the Gundam theme, Turn A and Zeta are also excellent series.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The only way that G Gundam mixed in "Real Robot" themes was in that it upstaged Gundam's core message. It was very much a Super Robot show through and through, but with high production value and strong writing it's easy to take it too seriously.

I said before that I couldn't praise G Gundam more, but while I'm on the subject I can. The seiyu for G Gundam are about as passionate and convincing as any voice acting I've ever heard in any language.

G Gundam's the one with the Raine girl and.. Domon(e)? I don't remember much of the beginning, but the last 20 episodes or so I do, and they were really fun to watch. I agree that the VA was very exceptional, especially for a anime series that ran on Toonami.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
The Japanese voice acting was spectacular, the American voice direction was really subpar, especially when you consider that it's pretty much the same cast as the much better Zoids.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As far as I know, Domon and Rain have superb English voices. It would have to take the entire rest of the cast being absolutely horrible beyond reason for your opinion to be anything other than biased Japanese fanboyism.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
As far as you know? Are you even speaking from experience here? I really liked Domon's voice when I saw it in English, though most of the voice acting in the show is really bad and awkward. I was converted over to the Japanese version by a friend, because it is absolutely amazingly fucking spectacular. I watch most anime in English, so think before you go accusing people of Japanophilia.

EDIT: I think because the show is just so quotable, it's alot easier for English speakers to associate the words with English. I'll admit, when I randomly yell out quotes in public I do them in English too, but the Japanese voice acting is still much better. Again, G Gundam's American voice acting is really subpar compared to Zoids: Chaotic Century even though they have almost the same cast. It's a voice direction thing, I think.

From what I remember, I thought the VAs were pretty good. Comparing them to their Zoids characters, I think it's pretty cool to see so many Zoids people working together again, though with really different mannerisms for their "voices" towards each other. See: Robert Scott and.. everybody else.

Zoids could be very awkward too. Have you counted the amount of cheesey crap that comes out of their mouths, much less how many times Raven has called Van a "little man".

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
To be fair, the writing in Zoids isn't nearly as good. I fucking love Zoids, I think it's really something special for a big advertisement show. But it's not really deep. Fiona is one of my favorite anime characters. Compare Carol Anne Day as Fiona to her role as Allenby though. Fiona seems real natural and relaxed, while Allenby is an awkward fake accent.

Really, Fiona? What makes you like her that much? I like her well enough, certainly more than Reese, but I'm curious as why she's one of your favorites.

I honestly don't know how people weren't expecting a campy B-move esque show with tits and violence with Highschool of the Dead. I've liked it so far for what it is (purposely bad, and ends up hilarious at the same time). Bad job to Madhouse for making it only 12 eps, though.

aka i watch HSotD for tits and guns

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Really, Fiona? What makes you like her that much? I like her well enough, certainly more than Reese, but I'm curious as why she's one of your favorites.
She's an amnesiac who isn't stoic or moody. She's entertaining and has good moral fiber, she's a trope done absolutely right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)