Pokkén Tournament

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
A theoretical port (with some extras) would be cheaper to make and safer to sell. It makes more sense to me than a dedicated sequel.

A theoretical port (with some extras) would be cheaper to make and safer to sell. It makes more sense to me than a dedicated sequel.
Point taken to some degree. But, the way I would see this game becoming a sequel would be not just fixing the multiplayer problems and the LAN play problems. Rather, greatly expand on the Single player ala Pokemon Duel style-like with a mix of Colosseum if possible. If a sequel to Colosseum and Darkness may not be possible, maybe infuse those concepts to Pokken Instead.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Point taken to some degree. But, the way I would see this game becoming a sequel would be not just fixing the multiplayer problems and the LAN play problems. Rather, greatly expand on the Single player ala Pokemon Duel style-like with a mix of Colosseum if possible. If a sequel to Colosseum and Darkness may not be possible, maybe infuse those concepts to Pokken Instead.
I agree. If it cannot be played on Switch, why would they upgrade a Wii U only game? It's a dead console and has a weak player base.

People would have to buy a game that came out over a year ago, meaning they couldn't profit from full price new game sales.

If they make a sequel it gives it an excuse to breathe new life into the series, and they can say "2 outsold 1" plus combining the console and handheld aspects would require a new game. Poken on switch could be played like street fighter on a PlayStation Handheld, or better yet, like how SSB4 was on both the 3DS and Wii U.

I could see SSB4 integration due to that concept for switch, Poken needs a sequel, or at least a new expanded edition sold like Marvel vs Capcom 3's bonus edition.

P.s. If they add new characters to be fighters in a sequel:

For z-moves, what would you imagine Eevee's Z-move would look like? Badass and cute? It's like "BRO, I got backup... like 8 bodyguards backup!"

Or better yet Snorlax. It would be funny to use its special z-move on such a lazy fat Pokémon. It's funny enough in Pokémon Go...

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I agree. If it cannot be played on Switch, why would they upgrade a Wii U only game? It's a dead console and has a weak player base.

People would have to buy a game that came out over a year ago, meaning they couldn't profit from full price new game sales.

If they make a sequel it gives it an excuse to breathe new life into the series, and they can say "2 outsold 1" plus combining the console and handheld aspects would require a new game. Poken on switch could be played like street fighter on a PlayStation Handheld, or better yet, like how SSB4 was on both the 3DS and Wii U.

I could see SSB4 integration due to that concept for switch, Poken needs a sequel, or at least a new expanded edition sold like Marvel vs Capcom 3's bonus edition.

P.s. If they add new characters to be fighters in a sequel:

For z-moves, what would you imagine Eevee's Z-move would look like? Badass and cute? It's like "BRO, I got backup... like 8 bodyguards backup!"

Or better yet Snorlax. It would be funny to use its special z-move on such a lazy fat Pokémon. It's funny enough in Pokémon Go...
*Points to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe*

Nintendo has absolutely no problem re-packaging an old game, adding in some new features, and selling it for full price. Like the only reason I brought up an idea for a sequel is because that's what Splatoon is doing and the only reason I can think of for them to do this is so they could have a new story mode and series of Splatfests (any new features could have been added to the old game as a "Deluxe feature"). Mario Kart 8 doesn't have a story mode so it can be ported, though Pokken does which is why I brought it up. Honestly whether its a port or sequel, in my opinion, is if they want to do a new story mode.

Z-Moves I can see going two ways:

1. The Pokemon specific ones would be Burst Moves. Would be a good excuse to add in Snorlax, Alolan Raichu, an Island Guardian, and an Alolan Starter. They could maybe also change Pikachu's Burst to one of its Z-Moves.
2. They would be a power-up item. A Z-Crystal will appear on the field and the Pokemon who picks it up would use a Z-Move. Maybe use this to include Z-Moves like Eevee's who I don't see as a fighter but as a Support? Maybe, giving the power-up it receives to the player via Baton Pass.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
*Points to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe*

Nintendo has absolutely no problem re-packaging an old game, adding in some new features, and selling it for full price. Like the only reason I brought up an idea for a sequel is because that's what Splatoon is doing and the only reason I can think of for them to do this is so they could have a new story mode and series of Splatfests (any new features could have been added to the old game as a "Deluxe feature"). Mario Kart 8 doesn't have a story mode so it can be ported, though Pokken does which is why I brought it up. Honestly whether its a port or sequel, in my opinion, is if they want to do a new story mode.

Z-Moves I can see going two ways:

1. The Pokemon specific ones would be Burst Moves. Would be a good excuse to add in Snorlax, Alolan Raichu, an Island Guardian, and an Alolan Starter. They could maybe also change Pikachu's Burst to one of its Z-Moves.
2. They would be a power-up item. A Z-Crystal will appear on the field and the Pokemon who picks it up would use a Z-Move. Maybe use this to include Z-Moves like Eevee's who I don't see as a fighter but as a Support? Maybe, giving the power-up it receives to the player via Baton Pass.
My point is that they wouldn't bother just adding DLC, they would make a sequel or a deluxe edition. I meant add-ons to the original game when I said upgrade.

I feel, like Marvel vs Capcom 3, it could have a deluxe edition, rather than just original game additions.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
My point is that they wouldn't bother just adding DLC, they would make a sequel or a deluxe edition. I meant add-ons to the original game when I said upgrade.

I feel, like Marvel vs Capcom 3, it could have a deluxe edition, rather than just original game additions.
Well, yeah, that's what we were discussing. In addition to adding in all the DLC stuff they released they'd also need new content to really sell it.

Now I just wonder what Bandai Namco's sexual interpretation of Decidueye would be? For me, I ... can't exactly pinpoint it like the rest that I can "subjectively" pinpoint.

Females: Gardevoir, Braixen, Rainbow Pika Libre, Chandelure, Weavile
Males: Lucario, Pikachu, Machamp, Blaziken, Gengar, Grachomp, Mewtwo, S-Mewtwo, Scizor, Empoleon, Darkrai, Sceptile, Suicune, Croagunk, Charizard

Decidueye is just ... so easy to be interpreted eitherway with its sleek and smooth feathery design like a blanket being the counterpart to Togekiss's pillow like plushy design

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Called it (though it was rather obvious as many have stated and I was probably far from the first person to suggest it).

And here's a batch of confirmed features:

New Fighter: Decidueye
New Support: Litten & Popplio
Team Battle Mode: 3 vs 3.
Group Match Mode: Find similar skilled players in battle rooms for battles online.
Daily Challenges: Complete a variety of different daily challenges.
Watch Battle Replays: Watch other player's replays and share your matches online.
All fighters and Support Pokemon will be available right from the start of the game.
Split Screen:

Thoughts:
Glad to see a Gen VII Pokemon in. Decidueye is definitely becoming the standout Starter of Gen VII... and since Ash has one that means it'll probably be next to get a Battle Bond form. :P
And of course we had to add in the other Gen VII starters somewhere, though maybe instead of Popplio had its evo so that way we had a representation of all the Gen VII evolution stages.
Team Battle and Split Screen really should have been included in the original game but better late than never in this case. It should really help with the meta scene as it would feel like an actual tourny fighter (an attempt to become an eSport?).
Game longevity wise, the Daily Challenges should keep people coming back to it even if its just to complete that day's challenge.
Nice they're letting people share each other's matches, always a nice feature.
Though all available from the start? Including Shadow Mewtwo? So what will be the incentive to complete the story mode?

Though all available from the start? Including Shadow Mewtwo? So what will be the incentive to complete the story mode?
Incentive to complete the story? You mean like first run copies of the game that had the Shadow Mewtwo Amiibo card? You're thinking too hard about it. The story mode is actually more throwaway than the story mode in Splatoon. At least Splatoon has some fun with its story mode while acting as a front to teach you basic controls. Pokken lacks in any such creativity and makes up for it in lame avatar design decisions to unlock.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
They need more cool Pokémon. How about a Magmortar or Electivire, or better yet a Hitmonlee (different fighting styles for more variety), Medicham for some fighting type that can float, and for god's sake why not include Marshadow when the Game comes out? 21st anniversary movie tie-in, and add Ho-oh as a support.

It's a fighting type that can totally surprise us all, sort of like a cross between Gengar and Weavile in size and creepiness. Spectral Thief begs for some visual gameplay in such a cool fighting game.

Let's see some Z-Moves to make Pikachu cool again, it'll help to make up for Pokémon that cannot Mega-Evolve. Seeing moves like Catastropika would be awesome, way better than the handhelds.

They need more cool Pokémon. How about a Magmortar or Electivire, or better yet a Hitmonlee (different fighting styles for more variety), Medicham for some fighting type that can float, and for god's sake why not include Marshadow when the Game comes out? 21st anniversary movie tie-in, and add Ho-oh as a support.

It's a fighting type that can totally surprise us all, sort of like a cross between Gengar and Weavile in size and creepiness. Spectral Thief begs for some visual gameplay in such a cool fighting game.

Let's see some Z-Moves to make Pikachu cool again, it'll help to make up for Pokémon that cannot Mega-Evolve. Seeing moves like Catastropika would be awesome, way better than the handhelds.
Could you share a detailed picture as to how those pokemon you want in the game function and role as fighters?

Ahead of the Pokkén Tournament DX Invitational Tournament at Treehouse Live in E3 on Wednesday June 14th at 10:30 PDT, a special discussion will be on Treehouse Live as soon as it begins about Pokkén Tournament DX. This discussion features The Pokémon Company CEO Tsunekazu Ishihara, as well as some of the game's developers, discussing the game's behind-the-scenes, as well as to show some more gameplay. This begins at 10:00 PDT / 13:00 EDT / 18:00 BST / 19:00 CEST / 02:00 JST

I just watched this video and this video last midnight. Had any of you watched them? I honestly want to know as to how this invitational either makes or breaks this game. But honestly, if any of you had Matthew Patrick grudges, tame it down because I'm getting sick of seeing the salt on the youtube comments. If you ask me, Alister vs Nairo is still my favorite there.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
guys why is this thread dead

this comes out in 2 days and theres already a demo out (which i am currently dling)

so hyped to hear about the adjusted mechanics, and can't wait to croagunk it UP

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
just opened the demo, and it works like this:
  • Only CP or 1v1 local play is available
  • You can only fight 15 times total
  • Only Pikachu, Charizard and Empoleon are playable (the bastards)
  • Only two support sets (snivy/lapras and reshiram/cresselia) are available
  • Only ferrum stadium can be fought on
still gonna use up all 15 before launch day ~_~

Last edited:
Wow, I thought the release date was the 20th, as I received my copy today. Weird, normally they don't send out these sorts of games early.
The Switch really got me into this game again, it is so much more convenient to play it with the Joy-cons.
Haven't really tried the new characters, but Decidueye has been good to play so far. Not much more new things besides the characters, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!
Today's Nitendo Direct Mini confirmed Pokken Tournament DX isn't dead and is getting some new DLC in a form of two waves:

Wave 1: New Fighter is Aegislash and new Support Pokemon are Mega Rayquaza and Mimikyu.
Wave 2: New Fighter is Blastoise and new Support Pokemon are Mew and Celebi.

Aegislash looks cool. I'm going to guess it's going to be a Speed or Technique fighter. Former because it looks like its swinging around fast, though the latter may give them a chance to incorporate it's gimmick. Screenshots also reveal its Burst: BFS:

Blastoise, huh? MILK! MILK THAT NOSTALGIA! Who cares if there's no Gen II or V Starter that's a fighter, we need to pull in the Gen Wunner crowd! Okay, okay, Blastoise isn't a bad choice with those giant shoulder cannons (guessing Power fighter). Since there's no gameplay or screenshot of it
I'm guessing it's still in the works, though no doubt what it's Burst is going to be unless they want to throw us a twist. Still, you had Feraligatr and Samurott to choose from (I would have gone with Feraligatr, not only for the Gen II GBA games rerelease but also don't really see what they could do interesting with Meganium or Typhlosion; Gen V still has Emboar and would be interesting to see them do Serperior).

Not much to say about the Support Pokemon except they seem to like piling on the Legendaries/Mythicals.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)