Pokemon unfit for LC Analyses

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Below is a list of Pokemon that, at this point in time, are not to be given an analysis:

Code:
Banned:
Any Pokemon with a Pre-evolution
Drifloon
Gligar
Meditite
Misdreavus
Murkrow
Scyther
Sneasel
Swirlix
Tangela
Yanma

Unviable:
Beldum
Burmy
Caterpie
Combee
Feebas
Gulpin
Happiny
Klink
Kricketot
Magikarp
Scatterbug
Slakoth
Sunkern
Tynamo
Tyrogue
Weedle
Wurmple
If you disagree about one of the above Pokemon, please have logs, sets, and other pertinent information ready to support your case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can Klink do anything that doesn't make it completely outclassed?Can't get Shift Gear or even Gear Grind, is outclassed as a wall by Bronzor, Honedge, and Magnemite, and really has a horrible movepool due to being genderless. I would add it to the list.

Last edited:

Ray Jay

"Jump first, ask questions later, oui oui!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
LittleCupFailure The method I'm going with this generation is simply taking the list of unfit Pokemon we had from last gen + banned Pokemon. Then, we will add things to this list only if they are rejected by Quality Control. If Quality Control deems a Pokemon has a viable set, then it will continue, but if it is rejected, then that Pokemon will be added to that list. So while we unfortunately are not attempting to add anything to this list purposefully at this time, I do appreciate your effort!

There are some pokemon an ability like Huge Power can't save, honestly; there are more disadvantages than there are advantages to using Azurill. And, dragon immunity is pretty meh in LC to be quite frank.

As for the "it has a new STAB" argument, it can't even learn Play Rough, so no new STAB at all. It also lacks STAB on Water-type moves, which its movepool mostly consists of.... Azurill is more unfit for LC than Happiny is.

There are some pokemon an ability like Huge Power can't save, honestly; there are more disadvantages than there are advantages to using Azurill. And, dragon immunity is pretty meh in LC to be quite frank.

As for the "it has a new STAB" argument, it can't even learn Play Rough, so no new STAB at all. It also lacks STAB on Water-type moves, which its movepool mostly consists of.... Azurill is more unfit for LC than Happiny is.
Wait, it seriously can't learn it? *tries to check serebii, but page not found* I'll take your word for it, but I could've sworn it was an egg move.

Any reason Gulpin is on the list? I admit it's not very good, but I don't think you're a complete embarrasment if you try to use it. Might be because Trubbish is better in what Gulpin can do.

Any reason Gulpin is on the list? I admit it's not very good, but I don't think you're a complete embarrasment if you try to use it. Might be because Trubbish is better in what Gulpin can do.
Gulpin is on the list because it's heavily outclassed by other Sticky Hold users and Poison-types. Trubbish, as you mentioned, is a much better choice overall, as it can restore its own Berry Juice with Recycle, can set Spikes or Toxic Spikes to capitalize on forced switches, has access to Drain Punch, and has a better Speed stat, all of which give it an actually usable niche in the metagame. As a wall with Eviolite + Pain Split, Gulpin is outclassed by Koffing, which has great physical bulk and Will-O-Wisp to cripple physical attackers and wear stuff down, and isn't easily trapped and eliminated by Diglett thanks to Levitate. Even if Gulpin tries running an offensive set, or like, a boosting set with Stockpile or Curse, you're better off with Grimer, which has a much better Attack stat, as well as comparable bulk and coverage options to work with. Grimer itself is pretty mediocre anyway; there are straight-up better offensive Poison-types to choose from, such as Gastly, Skrelp, and Croagunk, which offer more immediate power, secondary STAB, and several other advantages over Gulpin.

The only semi-notable thing Gulpin has over any of the previously mentioned Poison-types is access to Encore, but this is mostly done better by Cottonee, which has Prankster. If Gulpin ever gets a set, I expect Encore to be included, as it's the only potential "niche" it really has.

Sorry about the late response, been busy and didn't get an alert or didn't see it for this. We're really trying to get through all of our serious analyses and revamps before moving on to the less important joke analyses. They will come at some point in the future though!

It helps that the Pokémon that are made fun of are never viable, so the joke analyses could be written by someone without much/any metagame knowledge (experienced people wouldn't waste time with that)
Hello. I think I could do a joke analysis, since I keep getting criticized whenever I try to do something useful. So yeah, if you need a joke analysis, I'm your guy!

antemortem

THE ORIGINAL DAVE
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
Hello. I think I could do a joke analysis, since I keep getting criticized whenever I try to do something useful. So yeah, if you need a joke analysis, I'm your guy!
you're bound to get criticized if your metagame knowledge isn't up to snuff, but regardless, QC members are going to be extremely particular about what does and doesn't go into an analysis so don't put yourself down too much when writing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)