SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know since rainbow of all things is grouped with Team Rocket this time, could this incarnation of Team Rocket be a not evil team? Maybe some leftovers members from gen I and gen II realised their wrong and formed this new Team Rocket? That's pretty lame ngl but it would be one way to give closure to Team Rocket after 20 years?

You know since rainbow of all things is grouped with Team Rocket this time, could this incarnation of Team Rocket be a not evil team? Maybe some leftovers members from gen I and gen II realised their wrong and formed this new Team Rocket? That's pretty lame ngl but it would be one way to give closure to Team Rocket after 20 years?
With Team Rocket being pretty much the iconic evil team in Pokemon, I just can't see that happening.

The face expressions they have when challenging you is not very friendly.

No, Weavile isn't his main Pokémon.

The Pokémon represented in the image are totally random. There's a random Hydreigon, a random Persian, a random Camerupt, a random Pyroar, a random Weavile and a random Golisopod (Sharpedo is also in the image). Put in there by Game Freak. Of course there isn't a relation between them and the Pokémon evil team leaders. I mean, if Camerupt is a flag Pokémon, Golisopod is a flag Pokémon, Persian is a flag Pokémon, Hydreigon is a flag Pokémon, Sharpedo is a flag Pokémon and so on, common sense dictates that Weavile is not the flag Pokémon of Cyrus. They just may be wrong.

The Pokémon represented in the image are totally random. There's a random Hydreigon, a random Persian, a random Camerupt, a random Pyroar, a random Weavile and a random Golisopod (Sharpedo is also in the image). Put in there by Game Freak. Of course there isn't a relation between them and the Pokémon evil team leaders. I mean, if Camerupt is a flag Pokémon, Golisopod is a flag Pokémon, Persian is a flag Pokémon, Hydreigon is a flag Pokémon, Sharpedo is a flag Pokémon and so on, common sense dictates that Weavile is not the flag Pokémon of Cyrus. They just may be wrong.
I hope this is sarcasm.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.

Wut
Dude, it's made pretty obvious that the villainous leaders do have main pokemon. Camerupt for Team Magma (wants the world to be purely land), Sharpedo for Aqua (wants world to be purely water), Pyroar for Team Flare (leader's colors and personality match), Golisopod with a badass edgy leader, and Hydregion for some ancient king (hydra, king, legends, DARK).

As the poster above me said, I sincerely hope this is a joke.

If it's sarcasm, it isn't well done

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

The argument was never if Weavile was representing Cyrus, the argument was whether Weavile was the appropriate Pokemon to represent Cyrus.

Occam’s Razor: they were chosen to be the most immediately recognisable association with the leaders, not for strict accuracy. I wouldn’t think of Lysandre when I saw a Gyarados, but I would with a Pyroar. Same with Rhydon and Persian.

They kinda failed with Weavile, but to be fair there really isn’t anything they could put in its place because none of Cyrus’s team was that memorable.

Sneasel/Weavile are the last Pokémon in Cyrus’ party in DP & first out before it evolves & his last Pokémon after it evolves in Pt. It is also his highest leveled Pokémon. It’s as close as you can get to a signature Pokémon.

You know, I wonder if the villains making a return was hinted at through the release of new DS themes. There is a series that was released with Rocket, Skull, & Galactic each getting their own theme.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Occam’s Razor: they were chosen to be the most immediately recognisable association with the leaders, not for strict accuracy. I wouldn’t think of Lysandre when I saw a Gyarados, but I would with a Pyroar. Same with Rhydon and Persian.

They kinda failed with Weavile, but to be fair there really isn’t anything they could put in its place because none of Cyrus’s team was that memorable.
How did they fail? Weavile is cold and cruel, just like Cyrus. The cold also fits the region - Sinnoh is the coldest region we've had (though some people might say Unova, if we take the irl inspiration of the two Sinnoh is farther up north I believe).

Is anyone else skeptical that the team in the screenshots is still named Team Rocket? We've seen the headquarters with the rainbow R logo and the cutoff text ットだん (where Team Rocket is ロケットだん), but that just means the team name ends with "Rocket". Given the current rumors floating around, the actual Trainer class and team name could be the full "Team Rainbow Rocket" (something like レインボーロケットだん or ニジロケットだん).

I have low hopes for this villainous organization still resembling Team Rocket's 'mafia' style. In particular, if the name change is true, they could easily turn into another "use this legendary to take over the world" team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mq
How did they fail? Weavile is cold and cruel, just like Cyrus. The cold also fits the region - Sinnoh is the coldest region we've had (though some people might say Unova, if we take the irl inspiration of the two Sinnoh is farther up north I believe).
So is Honchkrow, it’s Pokedex entry states its ruthless and unforgiving to its Murkrow followers.

I don’t really look at Weavile and think “oh, look, it’s that Pokemon Cyrus uses” in the way I do all the others. But maybe that’s just me.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I don’t really look at Weavile and think “oh, look, it’s that Pokemon Cyrus uses” in the way I do all the others. But maybe that’s just me.
Honestly, I didn't feel that either for Sharpedo or Camerupt until they got Megas. Until Gen V, none of the evil team leaders really had iconic Pokémon associated with them in the games, but Persian was definitely Giovanni's signature Pokémon in all other media.

Is anyone else skeptical that the team in the screenshots is still named Team Rocket? We've seen the headquarters with the rainbow R logo and the cutoff text ットだん (where Team Rocket is ロケットだん), but that just means the team name ends with "Rocket". Given the current rumors floating around, the actual Trainer class and team name could be the full "Team Rainbow Rocket" (something like レインボーロケットだん or ニジロケットだん).

I have low hopes for this villainous organization still resembling Team Rocket's 'mafia' style. In particular, if the name change is true, they could easily turn into another "use this legendary to take over the world" team.
I think you're reading too much into it. For all we know it really is just Team Rocket. They can change their logo without changing their team name. Like, they also could've changed their name to ラケットだん, which would give the same ットだん ending and the same R as their logo, but a completely different name.

Giovanni's Persian is his symbol Pokémon in almost everything. He didn't have a Persian in RB, FRLG, HGSS, BW2. Other than that, you have Giovanni's Persian in the manga, in the anime, in Pokémon Yellow, in Pokémon Stadium and in TCG.

Including this amazing Trainer card.

Trying to deny Persian as Giovanni's ace is lame imo.

Reactions: Mq
Not a lot to update, but a few bits of information:

The next USUM news will come out at 22:00 on November 2nd in Japan. That's 13:00 UTC/09:00 EDT/06:00 PDT to cover other main time zones.

Next, they've put up the flyer on the website. It's been available in stores around Japan for a while, so it doesn't really show anything new. Mainly says they've increased the number of Pokemon to over 400, that Mewtwo will be available, new features such as Mantine Surf and Photo Club, and reiterates the version exclusives.

You can also chat to Rotom if you add the official Pokemon account on Line. If you talk to it frequently enough, it'll introduce up to 16 kinds of Pokemon available in Alola, it'll evaluate your friendliness, and you can play Shiritori with it (that game where you take turns naming a Pokemon whose name starts with the character that the last one ended with). Rotom will take over until January 1st, 2018.

They've added new pages to the USUM website. First being a basic tutorial to catch, train, and trade Pokemon. The second one showcases Poke Refresh, Poke Pelago, and and Alola Photo Club. There aren't any changes to Poke Refresh and Poke Pelago as far as I can tell, and we don't get any new information about Alola Photo Club, either. The Festival Plaza and Global Link pages don't show anything new either, as far as I can tell.

The Pokemon page has the first and second stages of the starters added, as well as Cosmog and Cosmoem. Don't get too excited about the screenshots on the Cosmog and Cosmoem pages, they're from SM.

Now for the bigger stuff. As expected, 15 new keywords have been added to the keywords page. Here's a quick rundown:

16. Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings: what's their power? After absorbing Solgaleo and Lunala, Necrozma becomes Dusk Mane Necrozma and Dawn Wings Necrozma. Its Z-Move is strong, too!
17. Cafe drinks: have a relaxing drink at the cafe!
18. Those Pokemon: Pokemon you didn't see in Sun and Moon! We see Inkay, Hawlucha, Furfrou, Mime Jr, and Buneary available too.

19. Sunset: there are more places in USUM where you can see the sunset! (does this mean more Poke Finder spots?)
20. Cries: unique cries for Pokemon are added.
21. Strange Souvenir: you'll find items along your adventure, and you can sell some for a high price, but what about the Strange Souvenir? What use does it have?
22. Mascot: nothing special
23. Pokemon Center: nothing special
24. Pokemon psychology test: find out your typing at the Aether House!
25. Cosmog: look out for all the different expressions of Cosmog!
26. Celebrity Pikachu: the Pikachu chilling poolside is a celebrity Pikachu on vacation!
27. Bewear Show: who's inside the costume?

Wow they look so real!

Wait, who's in the third costume..?
28. Sweets: sweets in previous versions appear in Alola!
29. Nugget Man: receive this old man's Nugget!
30. Returning Favours: this Alolan Vulpix will give you something great in return for rescuing it from Team Skull!

That took a while to type up, hopefully some juicy stuff comes out next Thursday!

Last edited:
Not a lot to update, but a few bits of information:

The next USUM news will come out at 22:00 on November 2nd in Japan. That's 13:00 UTC/09:00 EDT/06:00 PDT to cover other main time zones.

Next, they've put up the flyer on the website. It's been available in stores around Japan for a while, so it doesn't really show anything new. Mainly says they've increased the number of Pokemon to over 400, that Mewtwo will be available, new features such as Mantine Surf and Photo Club, and reiterates the version exclusives.

You can also chat to Rotom if you add the official Pokemon account on Line. If you talk to it frequently enough, it'll introduce up to 16 kinds of Pokemon available in Alola, it'll evaluate your friendliness, and you can play Shiritori with it (that game where you take turns naming a Pokemon whose name starts with the character that the last one ended with). Rotom will take over until January 1st, 2018.

They've added new pages to the USUM website. First being a basic tutorial to catch, train, and trade Pokemon. The second one showcases Poke Refresh, Poke Pelago, and and Alola Photo Club. There aren't any changes to Poke Refresh and Poke Pelago as far as I can tell, and we don't get any new information about Alola Photo Club, either. The Festival Plaza and Global Link pages don't show anything new either, as far as I can tell.

The Pokemon page has the first and second stages of the starters added, as well as Cosmog and Cosmoem. Don't get too excited about the screenshots on the Cosmog and Cosmoem pages, they're from SM.

Now for the bigger stuff. As expected, 15 new keywords have been added to the keywords page. Here's a quick rundown:

16. Dusk Mane and Dawn Wings: what's their power? After absorbing Solgaleo and Lunala, Necrozma becomes Dusk Mane Necrozma and Dawn Wings Necrozma. Its Z-Move is strong, too!
17. Cafe drinks: have a relaxing drink at the cafe!
18. Those Pokemon: Pokemon you didn't see in Sun and Moon! We see Inkay, Hawlucha, Furfrou, Mime Jr, and Bunnelby available too.

19. Sunset: there are more places in USUM where you can see the sunset! (does this mean more Poke Finder spots?)
20. Cries: unique cries for Pokemon are added.
21. Strange Souvenir: you'll find items along your adventure, and you can sell some for a high price, but what about the Strange Souvenir? What use does it have?
22. Mascot: nothing special
23. Pokemon Center: nothing special
24. Pokemon psychology test: find out your typing at the Aether House!
25. Cosmog: look out for all the different expressions of Cosmog!
26. Celebrity Pikachu: the Pikachu chilling poolside is a celebrity Pikachu on vacation!
27. Bewear Show: who's inside the costume?

Wow they look so real!

Wait, who's in the third costume..?
28. Sweets: sweets in previous versions appear in Alola!
29. Nugget Man: receive this old man's Nugget!
30. Returning Favours: this Alolan Vulpix will give you something great in return for rescuing it from Team Skull!

That took a while to type up, hopefully some juicy stuff comes out next Thursday!
Wait, wait. They're actually hyping up the Strange Souvenir? Also, lol those games that people came up with to determine your typing, like based off of your music preference or birthday, did they actually put one in the games?

Wait, wait. They're actually hyping up the Strange Souvenir? Also, lol those games that people came up with to determine your typing, like based off of your music preference or birthday, did they actually put one in the games?
Two of the questions from the screenshots are "What will you do?" and "What drink will you choose if you find yourself lost in the middle of a desert and only have money to buy one drink at this vending machine you magically found?" so yeah it's likely one of those.

So amongst the other things, the 5 new confirmed pokes (and their evos, obviously), hawlucha, mime jr, furfrou, bunnelby, and inkay
Did someone actually track the confirmed addition to the pokedex vs the "400" number? How many are we at?
[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]amongst the other things, the 5 new confirmed pokes (and their evos, obviously), hawlucha, mime jr, furfrou, buneary, and inkay[/COLOR]
[COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7)]did someone actually track the confirmed addition to the pokedex vs the "400" number?[/COLOR]

Don't know if anyone's been "keeping track", per se, but by my count we know of 27 species that have been added to the Alola Dex (based on the assumptions that everything we've been shown in the wild will be in the new Dex, and that nothing has been removed since SM):
Mime Jr., Mr. Mime
Mareep, Flaaffy, Ampharos
Heracross
Mantyke, Mantine
Houndour, Houndoom
Larvitar, Pupitar, Tyranitar
Electrike, Manectric
Tropius
Zorua, Zoroark
Mienfoo, Mienshao
Larvesta, Volcarona
Furfrou
Inkay, Malamar
Hawlucha
Dedenne
With a minimum of 101 new Pokémon to be added (since Marshadow is #301 in the SM Dex and #402 in the USUM one), this suggests that there are still about 75 or so new entries in the Alola Dex that we don't know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)