SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just hope they will give Necrozma some good moves in the TM and Tutor department (the fact that it doesn't learn Dazzling Gleam is just ridiculous, or Focus Miss considering how many random things learn it)
Necrozma not learning Dazzling Gleam is understandable because Dazzling Gleam attacks with light, and Necrozma absorbs light, so it cannot let it out as an attack.

Similarly it learns Moonlight because it gets healed from the light of the moon.

D
Necrozma not learning Dazzling Gleam is understandable because Dazzling Gleam attacks with light, and Necrozma absorbs light, so it cannot let it out as an attack.

Similarly it learns Moonlight because it gets healed from the light of the moon.
Doesn't really make sense though, because Prismatic laser is clearly a light based attack, and so is Photon geyser (assuming Necrozma knows it in default form). This also applies to Lunala whose description is to absorb light constantly and yet knows the move Moongeist beam.

By the way, I've been thinking about Photon Geyser... how is it going to work as a Z-Move? Which Shattered Psyche would it get? It's a fairly interesting matter.
Very likely that it will be just another special attack Z move that hits like a truck.
So far none of the Z- attack moves inherit their original effects from their original move, and Photon geyser is clearly stated as a special attack move with an effect that takes the attack stat that has a higher power.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been shown though that the Necrozma-forms Zmoves do inherit from their base moves that they ignore abilities, at least.

Reactions: Mq
I'm assuming we know nothing about the Z-Move yet? If it's base move is Shadow Claw, it's reasonable to guess that it'll be a high powered Ghost move with a high crit rate such as Cap Pikachu's Z-move.
I think it will have a special non-crit effect. Lycanroc's Z Move is based on the high crit Stone Edge, but the effect its z move has is removing terrain

I mentioned this on serebii, but since Mimikyu's lore shtick is cursing you for seeing its body, and the z move appears to be revealing itself as it extends its claws, what if the extra effect is applying the Curse effect?
I can also see the move reapplying the disguise if it was broken.

Despite Necrozma being special attack oriented, I’m more worried about Dawn Wings’ movepool than Dusk Mane’s. Dusk Mane will get two reliable STABS, EQ, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Autotomize/Rock Polish and Swords Dance, as well as keeping basically every useful move from Solgaleo’s pool except for Flare Blitz. Dawn Wings, on the other hand, will gain Photon Geyser, Stealth Rock and Autotomize, but will in return lose any reliable way of hitting Dark types, especially Yveltal. It loses all of Moonblast, Ice Beam, Thunder(bolt) and Focus Blast — most sets run at least one of those. Adding the extra hard counters added by losing those coverage options would make a double dance set a lot less viable than on Dusk Mane, no matter how impressive its special attack is on paper.

This assumes Necrozma’s standard movepool remains largely unchanged, of course.
inb4 Dawn Wings becomes OU

The Cube syndrome attacks again

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Has anyone else noticed that the Rotom Powers are consumables?

And since we're getting them from the Roto Loto thing, like it might be limited in a way or two like time locked?
Hm, good point. Getting the Roto item probably would be a frequent event, either timed or can be grinded, but if they're consumed upon use how long will they last? It should be longer than the 3 minutes the O-Powers have. 10 minutes? 15? 30? an hour? Also it doesn't look like you can upgrade the Roto items to have a stronger effect so that should be a factor in its length.

Okay, so Serebii confirmed that there's a Mimikyu Z-Move.

So... What are your thoughts on this? Mimikyu is actually already pretty good as is. I wonder if this move will actually make it better?
Well, Smogon's set suggestion does include Ghostium Z so probably a little bit, not only do Signature Z-Moves have more power than normal ones but they're giving a lot of them powerful secondary effects which never hurts.

By the way, I've been thinking about Photon Geyser... how is it going to work as a Z-Move? Which Shattered Psyche would it get? It's a fairly interesting matter.
Most likely the category they make Photon Geyser... so Photon Geyser-Shattered Psyche would probably be useless on Dusk Mane. Though they probably intend you to use Solgaleo's & Lunala's Z-Crystal if you're going to give any Z-Crystal on Necrozma's forms.

Despite Necrozma being special attack oriented, I’m more worried about Dawn Wings’ movepool than Dusk Mane’s. Dusk Mane will get two reliable STABS, EQ, Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, Autotomize/Rock Polish and Swords Dance, as well as keeping basically every useful move from Solgaleo’s pool except for Flare Blitz. Dawn Wings, on the other hand, will gain Photon Geyser, Stealth Rock and Autotomize, but will in return lose any reliable way of hitting Dark types, especially Yveltal. It loses all of Moonblast, Ice Beam, Thunder(bolt) and Focus Blast — most sets run at least one of those. Adding the extra hard counters added by losing those coverage options would make a double dance set a lot less viable than on Dusk Mane, no matter how impressive its special attack is on paper.

This assumes Necrozma’s standard movepool remains largely unchanged, of course.
Kyurem's forms have different movepools, so they'll probably adjust Necrozma's to be a mixture. I can see it getting:

Dusk Mane: Sunsteel Strike, Cosmic Power, Iron Head, Metal Sound, Zen Headbutt, Flash Cannon, Crunch, Metal Burst, Flare Blitz, Wide Guard
Dawn Wing: Moongeist Beam, Cosmic Power, Hypnosis, Confuse Ray, Air Slash, Shadow Ball, Night Daze, Magic Coat, Moonblast, Dream Eater, Phantom Force, Wide Guard

Or, as Worldie said, it'll just inherit whatever moveset that Solgaleo and Lunala have. Which in that case maybe it'll be Solgaleo and Lunala who could be getting new moves via Necrozma's movepool.

Solgaleo could get Slash, Rock Blast, Night Slash, & Psycho Cut from level up. From TM there's Brick Break, Aerial Ace, Thief, Brutal Swing, Shadow Claw, Smart Strike, & X-Scissor.
Lunala could get Mirror Shot, Stored Power, Power Gem, Wring Out, & Prismatic Laser from level up. From TM there's Flash Cannon & Dark Pulse.
And both will get Autotomize, Stealth Rock, & Rock Polish. Also Photon Geyser.

The Kyurems didn't have drastically different movepools like that, though.
They swapped out 2 moves: Scary Face for the Fusion Flare/Bolt moves and Glaciate for Ice Burn/Freeze Shock
Everything else with the movepool was the same as vanilla Kyurem, including an unchanged TM & Tutor Movepool. Which sucked for Black Kyurem since it meant no Ice Punch.

The Kyurems didn't have drastically different movepools like that, though.
They swapped out 2 moves: Scary Face for the Fusion Flare/Bolt moves and Glaciate for Ice Burn/Freeze Shock
Everything else with the movepool was the same as vanilla Kyurem, including an unchanged TM & Tutor Movepool. Which sucked for Black Kyurem since it meant no Ice Punch.
Fortunately, they’re generally not shy about changing legendaries’ movepools mid-gen, especially if it’s their debut gen. They really ought to give Kyurem Icicle Crash or something, but it’s more the exception than the rule, I think — they changed the Sinnoh trio’s movepools when Giratina got a new form, and the weather trio had a couple of changes made too IIRC.

They might also do what they did with Deoxys and have the movepools properly vary based on form, then just not worry about any inconsistencies caused.

So... No new alola forms? :/

I think it's a pretty safe bet that the fact they haven't shown any yet means there won't be new ones.

Notice how they are slowly showing new Ultra beasts and z-moves. I can't believe that less than a month before release they will come out with a bunch of alola forms. If there were any, they would be showing them gradually as they did when advertising SM and as they have been doing with all the new features.

And I don't think the standard "game freak is really unpredictable" applies here. Yes, they are pretty unpredictable when it comes to which games they make and what they put in their games, but they have been pretty consistent with the way - not the pace - they show new stuff.
Reminder that we didn't get any confirmation on megas for XY until August that year. Gamefreak has no qualms about dropping late game bombshells.

Reminder that we didn't get any confirmation on megas for XY until August that year. Gamefreak has no qualms about dropping late game bombshells.
I believe it was similar for ORAS. They announced new megas in August and released in November. Also from memory we didn't get any official Alolan Dugtrio or Golem reveal at all. I'd wager if there were going to be new Alolan forms they'd reveal at least one before release or there won't be any new ones at all.

ORAS had its Megas promoted for five whopping months. As for XY, it made sense for Mega Evolution to be kept a secret until two months before release, since there had been plenty of new content to showcase in the previous three months.

With USUM... That is obviously not the case.

Alolan Dugtrio actually wasn't datamined. Well, ok, it was alongside everything else, but Alolan Dugtrio in particular was just...in the demo. There was a chance, during one of the times you turn on the demo, that you would get a photospot on the beach and see Alolan Dugtrio. Which lead to the fun thing of the battle model being in the game but unable to do anything with it because all its data was pikachu.

Also yes, ORAS' biggest showcase was its megas. May was sort of a nothing month since thats where the games were unveiled, but June started things off with (among a few other things) Mega Diancie, Mega Sceptile & Mega Swampert. Mega Sabeleye was revealed later that month at e3. Every month after that had at least one new mega (July had five!) up to release.

Since the game's release is less than a month away, I would rather have the devs just save whatever surprises they have left in the main game. A big disappointment with ORAS and SM was that pretty much everything was revealed before release, which hampered the expirience when playing the actual games. Don't really want the same to happen to USUM.

I think the next few trailers should just focus on selling the game with pretty CGI cutscenes and snippets of new parts of the story. With how little Gamefreak has actually promoted these games, I worry they won't even sell half as much as the last few Pokemon games.

Since the game's release is less than a month away, I would rather have the devs just save whatever surprises they have left in the main game. A big disappointment with ORAS and SM was that pretty much everything was revealed before release, which hampered the expirience when playing the actual games. Don't really want the same to happen to USUM.

I think the next few trailers should just focus on selling the game with pretty CGI cutscenes and snippets of new parts of the story. With how little Gamefreak has actually promoted these games, I worry they won't even sell half as much as the last few Pokemon games.
It's kinda hard to believe Gamefreak is competent enough to actually hide new things to keep us surprised. And if it does end up happening, I think they went too far into the opposite end of the spectrum. Nearly revealing 90% of the game was pretty bad, but now they've withold info for too long, to the point where some fans are already in the mindset that USUM won't have anything substantial. This of course, is mostly due to being burned by how barebones SM ended up being.

I'm still holding out hope that Gamefreak is keeping things hidden till the last minute, but I'm not holding breath if it turns out there's nothing.

I hope they still do reveals every Thursday night up until the day before release. That's still 5 more weeks of information, even if it is a little at a time. I think they still want to build up the hype all the way to release day, so even if it is just something big on a Thursday to keep us talking for a few days per week that's good enough for them. They've certainly got me interested in what's new these past few weeks, since I wasn't too interested in getting it when it was first announced. Hopefully they keep any changes (as in character personality/arc changes, if there are any) away from the public for us to find out ourselves in-game.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So there was a new famitsu interview about USUM this month.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/10/1...ferent-main-story-with-other-worlds-to-visit/

So as many of us speculated, we can get old legendaries through ultra wormholes, with Mewtwo used as an example.

2 other things from this interview have me curious.

1: They mention that training and getting Pokemon will be much easier than in SM. Maybe the grind to level 100 won't be as brutal for bottling capping? That'd be nice!

2: Apparently USUM have about double the story content of SM, and there's a new post game episode o_O. They brag that this game has much bigger changes than Platinum too.

"On top of a different main story from Sun & Moon, there’s an additional new episode after entering the Hall of Fame. Game Freak teases that those who are looking at it as what Platinum was to Diamond and Pearl, can expect an even more ultra huge change coming."

has anyone play DPP what does this mean

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
So there was a new famitsu interview about USUM this month.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/10/1...ferent-main-story-with-other-worlds-to-visit/

So as many of us speculated, we can get old legendaries through ultra wormholes, with Mewtwo used as an example.

2 other things from this interview have me curious.

1: They mention that training and getting Pokemon will be much easier than in SM. Maybe the grind to level 100 won't be as brutal for bottling capping? That'd be nice!

2: Apparently USUM have about double the story content of SM, and there's a new post game episode o_O. They brag that this game has much bigger changes than Platinum too.
Looks like that storage size I found in the monotype discord was wrong, thank god.

Anyways, I'm hyped again. For what could be my last Pokémon game, this should be great.

"On top of a different main story from Sun & Moon, there’s an additional new episode after entering the Hall of Fame. Game Freak teases that those who are looking at it as what Platinum was to Diamond and Pearl, can expect an even more ultra huge change coming."

Distortion world = ultra space
Necrozma = giratina
Not literally, but you get what I mean. If you don't know what those are, don't wanna spoil it for ya, platinum was a great game.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD

In Platinum, they changed up a lot of things from the updated graphics/mechanics, to adding new characters into the story, to adding a new Battle Frontier and updated features in the Battle Resort areas. The story line was still pretty much the same (something like 80-90% the same as DP, with Giratina being one of the bigger changes). It kinda was more like how Emerald and even ORAS, felt like a more updated Ruby/Sapphire that was enhanced a little bit, but at the base pretty much the same game. Based on what they said, the plot might end up with a few similarities as SM, but could overall end up very different so it might even feel like it starts out as SM and then turns into a whole new game.

So ....

Gen VI made Hoopa and its dimensional ring as an excuse to reach all the elusive legendaries
Gen VII now makes Ultra Space as its own version of this excuse. If GF intends to make all legendaries available in this pair of games, there will be a total of at least 37(?!) to catch.

Gen VIII definitely will have to think of sth too with the ever growing size of the legend pool. I hope it's sth creative; not revisiting ultra space again.

EDIT: twice as long story but hopefully not twice as long cutscenes too. Please let there me a skip button

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)