Pokemon Type Coverage (Excel Sheet) - NEW! Version 2.2 using December Stats!

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE LATEST VERSION.

Version 2.2:
  • Updated usages and average stats to reflect DougJustDoug's December stats
Version 2.1:
  • Implemented many more moves
Version 2.0:
  • Now also provides the Pokemon taking the least amount of damage from your moveset
Version 1.2.2:
  • Implemented Tyranitar's Sand Stream Special Defense Boost
  • Implemented Latias and Latios' Soul Dew Special Defense Boost
  • Implemented Clamperl's DeepSeaScale Special Defense Boost
Version 1.2.1:
  • Fixed usages of Pokemon having two abilities
  • Fixed maximum allowed Attack and Special Attack stats.
Version 1.2:
  • Fixed damage calculation yet again (it needlessly multiplied the damage by 0.84 twice in version 1.1)
  • Added Rotom forms, Origin Giratina and Shaymin Sky Form
  • Updated usages and average stats to reflect DougJustDoug's October stats
  • Implemented Electivire's Motor Drive
Version 1.1:
  • Fixed damage calculation
  • Added Spacial Rend and Rock Smash
  • Zipped File
Original Version 1.0:
  • First release
Welcome to the Pokemon Type Coverage Excel sheet. With this Excel Sheet, you can find which moveset would cover the various types best, in various metagames (Standard, Underused and Uber).

Note: This Excel sheet was created on Microsoft Excel 2003. It probably won't work on older versions of Excel, though it doesn't hurt to try. It should be able to work on more recent versions, but I haven't tested it personally to know.

It is available here (version 2.2). (Right-click on the link, and choose Save Target As. It is a ZIP file.) Then double-click on the file and you should be presented with something like this:

Let's start twiddling with this, shall we? Suppose we want to check the type coverage of Modest Gengar with 252 EVs in SpA having Shadow Ball, Focus Blast, Thunderbolt and HP Ice in the Standard metagame. We click on the box next to Type 1 and choose Poison, and then on the box next to Type 2 and choose Ghost, signifying Gengar's typing. Like so:

Okay, on to the stats. Click on the box next to the SpA stat and type in '394', which is Gengar's maximum SpA stat, and press ENTER.

On to the moves. Click on the box next to Move 1 and choose 'Shadow Ball'. Like this:

Notice that the Average Damage box immediately updates with the average damage that a Gengar with 394 SpA and Shadow Ball only in its attacking moveset would deal:

Shadow Ball alone would deal an average damage of 51.47% in the Standard metagame, which is pretty good.

Now let's add Focus Blast to the moveset. How much average damage would Gengar deal having Shadow Ball and Focus Blast in its moveset?

Together, they would deal an average of 65.88% of damage.

Finally, we'll add Thunderbolt and HP Ice by choosing them from the boxes next to Move 3 and Move 4 respectively. Our Gengar would be able to deal an average of...

That's very good damage indeed.

Now suppose we want to see if replacing HP Ice by Energy Ball would make Gengar deal more or less damage on average. It's easy; just choose Energy Ball from the box next to Move 4, and...

It seems like Energy Ball has less type coverage than HP Ice on this particular Gengar, since the average damage has been lowered. You can try replacing Energy Ball with other moves instead of with HP Ice. In our example, we'll revert back to the original moveset of Shadow Ball/Focus Blast/Thunderbolt/HP Ice.

Now how would our Gengar fare in the Uber metagame? To answer this question, click on the box next to Metagame, and click on 'Uber'. Like this:

The Excel sheet would immediately tell us the average damage in the uber metagame:

It would deal almost 6% less damage on average in the Uber metagame than in the Standard metagame.

Hope you'll find this Excel sheet useful!

X-Act

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
How does Explosion fit into this sheet? Since you'd only be using it once.
Good thing you're asking, as some moves need to be explained and I forgot, lol.

Basically, all moves that can deal variable damage (like Eruption, Avalanche, Facade, etc.) are assumed to deal the MAXIMUM possible damage in this Excel sheet.

The only exceptions to this rule are Grass Knot and Low Kick. These two moves are actually implemented correctly, i.e. they take every Pokemon's weight into account when calculating the average damage.

About Explosion and Selfdestruct, yeah they are only used once... so you'll just have to keep that in mind when seeing the average damage. It is still the average damage you would deal, even if you used just one move. Sometimes when you have a Choice item, you plan to use one move and then switch anyway.

It's working for me. What error message are you getting?
You where right, the link works good.

I was downloading it, but I didnt change the name. So when the download was finished I had a HTML file instead of a Excel file.

X-Act

Yeah, I really would like to have the file download as an .xls file straight away. I don't know why stupid Internet Explorer makes it an HTML file so that it needs to be renamed manually. Is there anyone out there who knows a way around this?

compress it as a ZIP file.

the reason the browser prints out all the gibberish is since the data is returned by the server as text/html instead of application/vnd.ms-excel. compressing it would do the trick since the mime type for zip files is sure to be present.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Nifty program. nice job X-Act. Unfortunately my computer isn't letting me download it right now (I'll fix it later so I can check it out), but I'm just curious if your program accommodates moves like Rollout who's damage isn't a consistent value every turn? Not that it matter since it's basically never used in competitive play I was just wondering.

This is great!

I tested it on Syclant to see just how it compares to Gengar. With 359 SpA and a moveset of Blizzard / Bug Buzz / Focus Blast / Earth Power, I got an average damage of 74.33%.

Adamant Garchomp does exactly 75% with just three moves - Earthquake / Outrage / Fire Fang. With Fire Blast over Fire Fang, it does 75.56%. Changing to a neutral SpA nature pumps it up to 75.74%. A +Spe natures changes it to 73.92%, but that is still more damage than Modest Gengar can pump out. And that's with only 3 moves (I left one blank for Swords Dance)!

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A cool way to check on average power for a Pokémon. X-Act, have my babies.

Does Ubers include every Pokémon with equal weight? What about Standard and UU?

Thanks, this is just awesome..

btw.. how to determine the damage dealt with Life Orb, does it work if I add the 30% to the Atk/SpA stat?

edit: Nothing rly important - but Rock Smash is missing >_<

Looks good, but I really want to know what you took into mind when working out the %.

PS: I have a question in the Battle Formula topic that hasn't been answered as of now :r .

For Life Orb, I'm 99% sure you multiply the damage by 1.3. For Choice Band/Specs, you multiply the stat by 1.5.

Maybe it's not that important (only 3 pokémon learn it including smeargle) but it seems that spacial rend is not in the list.

Love this though <3

X-Act

Maybe it's not that important (only 3 pokémon learn it including smeargle) but it seems that spacial rend is not in the list.
I'll add it in the next version.

edit: Nothing rly important - but Rock Smash is missing >_<
I'll add this too.

Does Ubers include every Pokémon with equal weight? What about Standard and UU?
The sheet uses usage information for Ubers, for Standard and for UU to determine how each metagame is.

I'm just curious if your program accommodates moves like Rollout who's damage isn't a consistent value every turn? Not that it matter since it's basically never used in competitive play I was just wondering.
I think I wouldn't be able to make Rollout and Ice Ball work. Sorry.

compress it as a ZIP file.

the reason the browser prints out all the gibberish is since the data is returned by the server as text/html instead of application/vnd.ms-excel. compressing it would do the trick since the mime type for zip files is sure to be present.
Thanks. That's what I'll do in the next version. :)

Looks good, but I really want to know what you took into mind when working out the %.

PS: I have a question in the Battle Formula topic that hasn't been answered as of now :r .
If there are enough people who are interested (so far there are already 2), I'll explain how the sheet works in detail.

I'm going to assume this doesn't Abilities like Adaptability or Technician into account, am I right? Still this is a very useful tool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)