Format Discussion Pokemon Sun/Moon Random Battle sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While inclusion on Smogon sets doesn't automatically make something a good fit for randbats, I agree with adding Pursuit here to trap-kill and force more careful play around it

I just got a Rotom-Fan with an Air Balloon in a Gen7 Random Battle. As it already has two (!) ground immunities thanks to flying type and levitate, the Air Balloon is unnecessary. A Choice Scarf would be much better, so that it isn't purely death fodder.

I just got a Rotom-Fan with an Air Balloon in a Gen7 Random Battle. As it already has two (!) ground immunities thanks to flying type and levitate, the Air Balloon is unnecessary. A Choice Scarf would be much better, so that it isn't purely death fodder.
i'm sorry

the balloon is a joke (three redundant ground immunities! yayyy)

nobody who has a say on the matter wants to take it off

Recently, I got a double dance Lando-T with SD/Rock Polish/Earthquake/Superpower. Superpower really makes no sense on Landorus, as there are no fighting-weak mons he can't hit with its earthquake, and it leaves it hard-walled by any bug or flying type and by any levitating ghost type. Fly or Stone Edge are strictly better options.
Even on other sets like a defensive rocks/pivot set, there's no reason for running Superpower - so please remove Superpower from the list of Landorus's possible moves.

Edit: Fly and HP Ice should be added, they're currently missing.

Adeleine

is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Recently, I got a double dance Lando-T with SD/Rock Polish/Earthquake/Superpower. Superpower really makes no sense on Landorus, as there are no fighting-weak mons he can't hit with its earthquake, and it leaves it hard-walled by any bug or flying type and by any levitating ghost type. Fly or Stone Edge are strictly better options.
Even on other sets like a defensive rocks/pivot set, there's no reason for running Superpower - so please remove Superpower from the list of Landorus's possible moves.

Edit: Fly and HP Ice should be added, they're currently missing.
Superpower has use overall, hitting targets including Grass types (esp. with a secondary type weak to Fighting), Ice Types, and non-grounded Steels better than (and more reliably than Stone Edge) other moves. You're right that the set you mentioned isn't great, though. Ground + Fighting isn't amazing mutual coverage overall, and Superpower syncs badly with SD, although some SD mons still probably need Superpower as coverage.

HP Ice is too OU-specific and lacking in broad use to have a large chance of being added, Fly could work with flyinium z but Z-moves are pretty rare in randoms and Lando is less needing of a crystal than most Pokemon.

Stunfisk should be an exception; if it ends up with limber as an ability, then its item should be chesto berry.

Stunfisk should be an exception; if it ends up with limber as an ability, then its item should be chesto berry.
Stunfisk never has Limber as an ability because the ability check removes Limber from Electric-types (because they cannot be paralyzed in Gen 7)

Fly could work with flyinium z but Z-moves are pretty rare in randoms and Lando is less needing of a crystal than most Pokemon.
Z-Moves are rare in randoms because they're coded for very specific movesets (e.g. Conversion Porygon-Z, Alolan Raichu, slow Belly Drum sets). I have no problem adding in Fly+FlyiumZ if people convince me that it's viable enough ;P

Just a small suggestion, but there should be a check on Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent to see if it's usable. In this case, Overgrow is literally useless and Chlorophyll, as niche as it would be, would be better.

Adeleine

Just a small suggestion, but there should be a check on Overgrow/Blaze/Torrent to see if it's usable. In this case, Overgrow is literally useless and Chlorophyll, as niche as it would be, would be better.

We covered this one a bit earlier, when someone had this configuration and matched against sun setter.
This seems more like you being strikingly unlucky than getting a bad set; neither ability normally has a benefit without a specific accompanying detail (the move Sunny Day and a relevant Berry, respectively), and you got neither detail, so it randomly picked. The problem was that it picked Gluttony and you matched up against one of the 2 ½ (you outsped Torkoal anyways) Pokemon that trigger Chlorophyll...
We could theoretically boost Chlorophyll's ability rating but this would interfere with the selection of better abilities, so it won't be happening. (Also, Overgrow over Chlorophyll technically has the advantage of slowing down Imposter Ditto in sun lol.)

On Rotom-f: I'm not an expert on randbats though it seems to me that part of the point of randbats is to allow Pokemon that would normally be jokes to have a chance to shine with a viable movies for dramatic and surprising battles - but apparently Rotom-f, even here, can be nothing more than a big joke. It's not even like it's Luvdisc or Unown or something - it has good bulk, good offenses, and a good typing. It would work better as an easter egg if like 1% of them had an air balloon as a random chance, but instead Rotom f alone of all Pokemon, can never be anything but a joke.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I just got an absolutely ass set for Infernape of Nasty Plot / Vacuum Wave / Grass Knot / U-Turn

I love getting one stab move of 40 BP!!

randomBattleMoves: ["stealthrock", "uturn", "swordsdance", "closecombat", "flareblitz", "thunderpunch", "machpunch", "nastyplot", "fireblast", "vacuumwave", "grassknot", "hiddenpowerice"]

12 moves to pick from is just too many and this should be pruned... or at the very least mandate Fire Blast if Nasty Plot is picked and mandate Fire Blast, Flare Blitz, or Close Combat. Mach and Wave should not count towards the STAB requirement.

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
wormadam: { randomBattleMoves: ["gigadrain", "signalbeam", "protect", "toxic", "synthesis"], randomDoubleBattleMoves: ["leafstorm", "gigadrain", "signalbeam", "hiddenpowerice", "hiddenpowerrock", "stringshot", "protect"], tier: "NU", },

Wormadam got access to Bug Buzz in gen 7, Signal Beam should probably be replaced by it

Adeleine

The two attacks hurt different things (iron head hits steels/ices/ghosts/physically frail mons harder and can flinch parad mons, while seismic toss gets consistent damage especially against steel resists / bulky mons), and the two status moves hurt different things (twave cripples offensive mons needing speed while toxic cripples tanks needing staying power).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)