Data Pokemon Sun/Moon Battle Mechanics Research

To be honest, the whole thing with Magic Room is pretty obviously a glitch, not just the Leftovers part. The lock is an effect of the item and should therefore be negated when the item is not in effect. That's how it's worked for a long time (I think) and I can't think of a good reason to go out of your way to change it.

I don't know if it has been added, but weakness policy does not proc on Mimikyu's disguise. I was able to test it and it does not do that. It used to in showdown and they patched it but I don't know if it has been added to this page.

A few questions about some of the finer points of weight mechanics:
  1. Is a Celesteela with the ability Heavy Metal actually considered to weigh 1,999.8 kg, or is there some maximum weight?
  2. If a Pokemon with the ability Heavy Metal uses Heavy Slam or Heat Crash on another Pokemon of the same species (with an unaltered weight), will it have 80 BP, or 40? It's currently 40 BP on showdown, but if the lighter Pokemon uses Autotomize, it will then be 80 BP, even when said Pokemon weighs 360.0 kg to start.
  3. Alternatively, what if the user has an unmodified weight, but the target has the ability Light Metal and/or is holding a Float Stone?
  4. In what order do the effects of Heavy/Light Metal, Float Stone, and Autotomize apply?

This is a quote from one Serebii article.
"There is also one special ability that doubles the Critical Hit ratio stage (If normally 1 it becomes 2, if normally 2 it becomes 4). This ability is Super Luck"
http://www.serebii.net/games/criticalhits.shtml
I'm pretty sure super luck increases the stage by 1. Can somebody look into that?

Each "no effect" nature corresponds to a stat. For example, a serious nature both raises and lowers speed. If the formulas for nature modifications are stat*11/10 and stat*9/10, then a serious nature would multiply the speed stat by both 11/10 and 9/10. The resulting multiplier is 99/100, which implies that "no effect" natures slightly lower the stat. Do "no effect" natures like serious really have no effect?
A few questions about some of the finer points of weight mechanics:
In what order do the effects of Heavy/Light Metal, Float Stone, and Autotomize apply?
They're all multipliers and multiplication is associative, so why does it matter?

Last edited:
They're all multipliers and multiplication is associative, so why does it matter?
In the world of Pokémon, multiplication is not necessarily associative, since rounding, flooring, or ceiling can happen at any stage. If I am not mistaken, a paralysed Pokémon with an odd Speed that uses Agility will still have 1 less Speed than its no-Agility-no-paralysis equivalent, due to rounding.

Small question about Spectral Thief. The OP states

Spectral Thief only steals boost not stat reductions and only if the move succeeds or affects the target.

I'm curious to know if +0 counts as a 'stat boost' if Marshadow currently has negative stats, i.e. if it's affected by Intimidate or has had its stats lowered by Close Combat. Does Marshadow steal +0 and return its stats to normal? The current implementation on showdown is 'no':

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-548177160

and I'm assuming that's correct, but I couldn't find anywhere where this was explicitly stated.

Small question about Spectral Thief. The OP states

Spectral Thief only steals boost not stat reductions and only if the move succeeds or affects the target.

I'm curious to know if +0 counts as a 'stat boost' if Marshadow currently has negative stats, i.e. if it's affected by Intimidate or has had its stats lowered by Close Combat. Does Marshadow steal +0 and return its stats to normal? The current implementation on showdown is 'no':

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7customgame-548177160

and I'm assuming that's correct, but I couldn't find anywhere where this was explicitly stated.
That was already answered:

Now that I think about it, I should clarify how Spectral Thief works. It might be obvious to some, but I figured it could work either way so I'll write it down.

It's not an attack + Psych Up. If you're at -2 and they're at +0 you don't gain stat bonuses. If they're at +2 and you're at -2, you gain +2 and are set to +0. If you're -2 with Simple and they're at +2, you gain +4 and are set to +2.
Perhaps this would be a better way to explain how Spectral Thief it works:

If it deals damage, it boosts the user's stats to match those of the target, as long as they are above +0 (afterwards, they are set to +0).

Reactions: fsk
An interesting interaction happened to me in Battle Tree with my Chansey.

My Chansey had a full health Substitute up, and the opposing Sceptile (which was at full health) used Endeavor, and it broke my Sub. I was surprised as I always assumed Endeavor would fail against Subs.

Also, was there a change in the mechanics of Endeavor from XY -> SM? I recalled it was always lowering the target's HP to the user's, but Showdown's description says otherwise.

Pokemon Showdown
Deals damage to the target equal to (target's current HP - user's current HP). The target is unaffected if its current HP is less than or equal to the user's current HP.
Smogon XY
Lowers the target's HP to the user's HP.

An interesting interaction happened to me in Battle Tree with my Chansey.

My Chansey had a full health Substitute up, and the opposing Sceptile (which was at full health) used Endeavor, and it broke my Sub. I was surprised as I always assumed Endeavor would fail against Subs.

Also, was there a change in the mechanics of Endeavor from XY -> SM? I recalled it was always lowering the target's HP to the user's, but Showdown's description says otherwise.
Endeavor is an offensive move, dealing damage to its target equal to target's HP - user's HP. It's not a status move like Pain Split. If Endeavor hits a Substitute, it uses the target Pokémon's current HP to calculate damage, not the Substitute's HP (given Chansey's gigantic HP stat, it's actually easy to break its Sub with Endeavor).

Showdown!'s wording was confusing, so I wanted to clarify. If a Pokemon takes a hit, its HP will become (target's current HP - damage). The Showdown! description says endeavor's damage is (target's current HP - user's current HP). Therefore, if a Pokemon takes an endeavor, its HP will become
(target's current HP - (target's current HP - user's current HP))
which simplifies to
(target's current HP - target's current HP + user's current HP)
(0 + user's current HP)
user's current HP
If a Pokemon takes an endeavor, its HP will become the user's current HP. Therefore, Showdown! has the correct description.

I used Final Gambit against a substitute. The sub faded, but my mon didn't faint (I wanted to gain momentum this way by killing the sub and allowing a free switch). Does this work on the catridge game the same way or was it a glitch?

I used Final Gambit against a substitute. The sub faded, but my mon didn't faint (I wanted to gain momentum this way by killing the sub and allowing a free switch). Does this work on the catridge game the same way or was it a glitch?
I tested this interaction on cartidge. It is a Showdown glitch.

Pokemon Showdown replay:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7anythinggoes-550543426
Battle Video: NUMW-WWWW-WWW6-89LE

Basically when you use final gambit on a Pokemon that has a Substitute up in game you knock yourself out. As mentioned on Showdown you do not knock youself out when using Final Gambit on a Pokemon with Substitute up.

Last edited:
If you use Brutal Swing, and your ally uses King's Shield, does your attack drop happen before your opponents are damaged? If they use Spiky Shield, can you be KO'd before you are able to damage your opponents?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Good questions!
If you use Brutal Swing, and your ally uses King's Shield, does your attack drop happen before your opponents are damaged?
Yes, and the new Attack stat stage is used for the other hits.
If they use Spiky Shield, can you be KO'd before you are able to damage your opponents?
You can be dropped to 0 HP but fainting only happens after the other hits. Also since you're actually on the field, your current stat stages, item, and Ability still get taken into consideration.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Does Adrenaline Orb still activate if the attack-lowering effect of Intimidate was suppressed through something like Hyper Cutter or Clear Body?
Yep, it does. Turns out PS already does that correctly, which is completely by accident since I didn't think about the interaction at the time but is a testament to how well the battle engine works. :)

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
So I was playing Pokemon Sun today, and I used Dig with my Zygarde when I got poisoned by an enemy Salandit (using Toxic) in the invulnerability turn of Dig. I thought this might be due to Salandit's Corrosion ability, but in the next battle I played the same interaction happened, this time against an enemy Mareanie.

Is this a known interaction? I sadly cannot test this on Wifi Battles because I'm playing the game on emulator (so it might just be a bug of the emulator?), so I was hoping someone here could test it and similar cases like Fly (or other status moves like Thunder Wave).

So I was playing Pokemon Sun today, and I used Dig with my Zygarde when I got poisoned by an enemy Salandit (using Toxic) in the invulnerability turn of Dig. I thought this might be due to Salandit's Corrosion ability, but in the next battle I played the same interaction happened, this time against an enemy Mareanie.

Is this a known interaction? I sadly cannot test this on Wifi Battles because I'm playing the game on emulator (so it might just be a bug of the emulator?), so I was hoping someone here could test it and similar cases like Fly (or other status moves like Thunder Wave).
It also might be worth testing Toxic using non-Poison types, since Toxic only has perfect accuracy when used by a Poison type.

Poison-type Pokemon will always hit toxic, even in semi invulnerable states such as Fly, shadow Force, etc. You can see it here: https://dex.pokemonshowdown.com/moves/toxic

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Does Mimic copy Z-moves? Specifically, will it copy Z-status moves and/or Z-attacks?

This is of interest because it currently appears to be glitched on showdown. You can mimic a breakneck blitz, giving you a breakneck blitz to use with 1pp and 1 base power. If you are able to mimic this in-game, I'm doubting that it would give a base power of 1. Also, how much PP would you get if you do copy the z-move?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)