SPOILERS! Pokemon Sun and Moon In-Game Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm gonna go for the efficient route here, and get a variety of things pretty early on, like Magnemite and Bagon. Wishiwashi + Mence should, in theory, be enough to clean sweep the game, and the rest are just accessories to that. Best part about this team is that you can get every single member here before you leave the second island.

It should be mentioned that this team also takes full advantage of TMs that you get along the way, especially Bulldoze, Brick Break and Scald. By the time they're obtained, things like Wishiwashi will be cleanly in their stride, allowing for an easy way to complete pretty much any objective or side objective.

Decided to change my mind one last time and ditch Vikavolt from my Moon Team in favor of a Water Type. So finally after all that, here is my final Moon Team.

Yes I'm surprised too that I've never used Vaporeon on a team in the franchise's 20 years of existence.

Last edited:
My current team as of right now, since I have no real "final" team yet, is Dartrix, Cutiefly (BEST. MON. EVER. So far), Mudbray, Grimer, Rockruff, and Crabrawler. ...I wish I had more special attackers.

EDIT: changed my team.
I don't even have SuMo rn, but if i ever will this is my team:
-Sun Team-

I just tried to balance this team honestly, so yeah:
Decidueye: I actually really liked Rowlet and Dartrix, and i rarely picked grass types, so why not?
Lycanroc: Lycanroc-Midday is one of the reasons i picked Sun, and it is kinda cool and good.
Araquanid: Honestly, Araquanid is my favorite Gen 7 pokemon so far, and it can become a good wall. (and also water bubble)
Salazzle: I tried to make the F-W-G core, and from what i heard, Salazzle is a good mon. So i hope finding a female salandit doesn't really become a problem :P
Flygon: I used Flygon to cover some weaknesses of my team. Plus, it's actually faster than 50% of the region, so yeah :P
Ninetales-Alola: Again, another fast pokemon with a good ability, so i'm really digging to get Ninetales-A.

Last edited:

Palossand: Great defence and special attack seem like a fun playstyle, A unique typing in ghost ground is interesting and signature "shore up" is cool. (Nick:Royal)
Mimikyu: Ever since mimikyu was announced I instantly fell in love. I looking at its stats now, It seems super fun and good for switch ins. Good attack and suprising bulk in combination with disguise allows for fun gameplay. (Nick:Napster)
Decidueye: SPHERICAL. Okay, in all seriousness I was team rowlet ever since the starters were revealed. And It's evos are too good to pass up. Spirit shackle, brave bird, leafblade and synthisis allow for good offenses while still living (Nick:Coconut)
Magnezone: High special attack, trapping. And lovable design since gen 1. Instantly added when I found out how to get. (Nick:Shocky)
Vikavolt: I was almost let off by the speed until I found out about 145 base special attack. That is insane. Bug Buzz Thunderbolt 4 dayz. (Nick:Tusky)
Primeape: Another gen 1 mon. Fast and frail with good attack is nothing to laugh at. He has a fightanium Z and will be the wall breaker for this team. (Nick:Anger)
-----------------------------------
Minior is an honorable mention.
Dhelmise is an honorable mention.

Team I used during the main story line

First off is Incineroar, aka TigertheDark. While i didn't like it at first on paper, it easily grew on me when I saw the trailer, its full of personaility and its stats aren't that bad either (darnit speed :/), overall on the main storyline he isn't that bad, he can handle some of the battles though in others you have to make him have the back seat at times.

Next is Charjabug aka Pupa Charge. Yes i'm serious I love Charjabug, I was originally going to have both Charjabug and its evolution but I choose not too. While Charjabug might look like a joke mon first, its actually, pretty legit. When I beat the champ it had the move set Acrobatics, X-Scissor, Spark, and Crunch and it actually was able to 2hko some of the mons, I'm not joking. I do wish I found the Wild Charge TM, because it would get OHKOs way easier esp if I use the Z Electric move. Mainly a gimmick, but a fun one indeed.

The next one is Wishiwashi aka Bruce(reminds me of the shark from finding nemo). I love the school form and so it was my go to water type. While it was a bit of a pain before it got to level 20, once it reached that level, Wishiwashi pretty much steamrolled through several mons early game while still being a solid mon in the late game.

I chose Mudsale, aka Mustang GT, because it was also one of the mons that I liked, its really good when you catch it because with stamina, it pretty much walls every single physical attacker after a couple of boosts. It also hits pretty hard, esp when it gets Earthquake later on in the game. Overall a great pick if you want a ground type in your team.

Next is Ninetales(aka DongZhu), i actually forgot why I picked it other than I need some speed(its timid yasssss), but I gotta say when it was vulpix at first it kinda sucks. It kinda struggles in handling some of the mons and I have to get either TigertheDark, Bruce, or Mustang GT to handle them. Once I got evolved it though, it did work despite being frail and sometimes missing important KOs, its typing is huge, helped me throughout the late-game greatly. Overall a good mon.

Finally is Solgaleo aka Nebby. While I usually don't use legendaries in my in game teams, this was the exception. The main reason was the story line, I pretty much grew into the adorable Comsog and I didn't wanted to put it in the box yet, so I took it and it was a good choice as well. Helped with the team's weaknesses pretty well and helped in lategame.

Close picks
Alolan Golem: Was about to get it but was too lazy to trade, rip.
Alolan Exeggutor: It was a sub for part of the game but I wasn't really into using it, esp when I got Nebby.
Buzzwole: This was actually going to be my final pick for the main story line until I realized that I wasn't going to get the mon any time soon rip.

My team:

Adamant Incineroar - male
Modest Alolan Persian (Fur Coat) - female
Adamant Toucannon (Skill Link) - female
Modest Ribombee (Shield Dust) - female
Jolly Alolan Dugtrio (Tangled Hair) - male
Modest Vaporeon (Water Absorb) - male

Last edited:
https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-team-planner/#decidueye magnezone poliwrath salazzle golisopod drampa

Just finished the game with this team. Here are my thoughts so far:

-Thori'dowl the Decidueye: My MVP. Got lucky with a Lonely nature at the outset and proceeded to win most of my major match-ups with him. Great movepool, great stat distribution, great ingame typing. Gonna restart the game to try out the other two starters, but Robin Hoot has my vote for best starter.

Santa Chroma the Magnezone: Excellent ingame mon as always. Electric/Steel continues to be the best ingame type combo. Such a shame it doesn't fully evolve until you get to the 4th island, on top of not getting to learn T-Bolt until post game, but easily my 2nd best Pokemon.

SlazlDazzle the Salazzle: Another great pokemon for ingame runs. Took a while to find a female but she was well worth it. Only complaint is her reliance on TMs (namely Sludge Bomb and Fire Blast) to do really well, but Salazzle's probably the 2nd best Fire type you can get.

Sir Robin the Golisopod: Magikarp 2.0; hard as balls to level him up, but he proves his worth once he gets there. First Impression is stupidly powerful and usually OHKOs whatever doesn't resist it. E-Exit is annoying to play around, however, and it doesn't learn any Water-type attacks until 48.

Puddin' the Poliwrath: On the other side of the spectrum, Poliwrath was a disappointment from the outset. I picked him up to cover a weakness I had to Fire- and Rock-type attacks, but it really wasn't worth it. His strongest (reliable) STAB is Brick Break, and since you can't get the Waterfall (EDIT: or Surf!) TM until post, he was stuck with Bubblebeam for the duration. Body Slam did help me beat the final boss, but 'Wrath just didn't have what it took to be a good mon.

Miriam the (female) Drampa: Another disappointment. I thought she would be available earlier on, so I intentionally saved a spot in my party for her. Drampa's movepool is expansive and her Special Attack is sky-high, but with such meh defenses and slow speed (even by Alolan standards!) Miri just failed to perform adequately. Would not recommend.

So... after ~650 hours of Omega Ruby, Gen 7 will probably hit for me on Wednesday (rip EU release date ;__;) and I've preordered Moon! Yay, Lunala! I'll probably get Sun, too... eventually. As with almost all new Pokémon games, I try to beat the game with new monsters only - which isn't that easy this time around because there aren't that many and I dislike using legendaries/post story things. So this is the team I came up with:

Decidueye - After seeing the leaks earlier this year, this was the only starter that appealed to me right away. It just looks so fkin cool imo, Grass/Ghost is an interesting typing for a starter. This might become one of my favorite starters EVER, I really like it. Also the first time I'll be choosing the grass starter - usually I'll go with the water one.

Salazzle - Ever since seeing Salandit I knew I wanted to have the new Fire/Poison monster in my ingame team. Luckily, its evolution did not disappoint imo, and -while frail- it's one of the fastest new pokemon with a decent SAtk. So, that's cool. Also, I really like the animation on this one.

Bewear - OMG I love this bear. Sure, it needed some time to getting used to but Fluffy is such a cool ability, I like its pre-evo (it's so cute!) and overall this just seems to be a menacing juggernaut... in a fluffy costume! It has a good enough movepool and I'm really looking forward to using it!

Primarina (Alolan-Ninetails) - Well, I needed a Water-type. Added Fairy-typing is pretty cool. At first I was kinda meh about it but Brionne really did it for me - another cute little pkmn - I really liked its cheerful character! If Decidueye wasn't so cool, this would've been my choice 100% - it's just so graecful and pretty strong, too. 126 SAtk is dangerous - with this kind of offensive movepool it should wreck some decent havoc. First time I'm gonna be using 2 starters - exchanging eggs with a friend and then breeding for a female one. If I'm not going to use Primarina this slot will probably become Alolan-Ninetails - another Fairy that I'll have to trade for... ;___;

Toucannon (undecided) - I've always used the eraly bird - Pidgeot, Swellow, Staraptor, even Unfezant and of course Talonflame. So why not. Toucannon with Skill Link seems good enough for an ingame run to me. I think it looks pretty cool and it has a funny signature move imo. This came into the team because of HM Fly. Now that this isn't needed anymore, this can probably be replaced but tbh, I'm not sure what could take its place. Maybe the Pom-Pom Oricorio, so I'll gain an Electric/Flying-typing, but its movepool is bad... maybe an older Pkmn, like Metagross, not sure yet.

Lycanroc (Palossand/Mudsdale) - Last one is Lycanroc-Midday, another Pkmn I'll have to trade. This is still pretty undecided, though. Originally, I had Palossand here, but it evolves so late and learns its useful moves pretty late, too. I just really like Lycanroc's design, it's sleek and straight to the point. Another candidate would be Mudsdale, but I think it'd be too similar to Bewear... well, I guess I'll see next week.

So yeah, some spots are still undecided but that's a rough draft. I can't wait to explore the new region! :>

Attachments

Here's what I'm thinking of using. Still unsure of a couple though. Might use Palossand over Lycanroc and either Toxapex or Araquanid over Golisopod. What do you all think?

Attachments

Last edited:
On the third island, I've got Brionne, Toucannon, Misdreavus, Ribombee, Mudsdale and Salandit. Possible I'll ditch Toucannon or Mudsdale, or even Brionne.

This is the team I ended up beating the game with. The only ones that remained consistent with my original planned team were Decidueye and Ninetales. I started using Araquanid after realizing "hey Water Bubble could make this thing pretty good" and it definitely did. It was one of my best party members.

This team should hopefully help anyone who wants to pick Litten and wants solid type diversity. A bonus is that they can all be caught fairly early in the game and are pretty good mons.

I plan out my team for each game based on my following formula:

1. Choose starter
2. Complete FWG core
3. Type Coverage
4. No type overlap (preferably)

Most of the time I roll with the fire starter, a water-type, a grass-type, an electric-type, a flying-type, and a rock- or ground-type. I have deviated from this before but most of my teams end up like this. I always want my team to have good type coverage and no glaring weaknesses, which is why I can be anal about the formula. I also prefer fast/decently fast pokemon in-game, as bulk is usually not a huge concern when I can outspeed and OHKO many in-game threats. Bulk is appreciated, but not a necessity. I like to have a team made of mostly new Pokemon, but this is also not set in stone. Lastly, I prefer to get most or all of my team without going too far in the game. Early- to mid-game is when I like to have the slots filled by.

For Pokemon Sun, I chose Litten and originally had Pikipek and Yungoos in my party. I found the first two to be my best options (following my formula and my preferences) and later ditched Yungoos. I caught a Pichu on route 1 and raised it to a Pikachu. I am currently about to take the second trial, where it should put in work. I don't normally like Pikachu, but again, it seemed like a solid option when looking at the full dex. I also caught a Mudbray, which is already very strong. A NPC traded me his Bounsweet (which allows me to get it on my team earlier in the game than usual) and I will probably raise it into a Tsareena. However, I can't nickname it and find that annoying. Lastly, I plan to catch a Dewpider since it looks solid.

My in-game team will probably look like this:

Incineroar
Ability: Blaze

Tsareena (F)
Ability: Leaf Guard

Araquanid
Ability: Water Bubble

Toucannon
Ability: Keen Eye

Raichu-Alola
Ability: Surge Surfer

Mudsdale
Ability: Own Tempo

I considered Lyncanroc-Midday over Mudsdale at first. Despite liking Lycanroc's stat spread better, I really disliked the fact that Lycanroc gets no ground-type moves. Not being able to Earthquake stuff is a pretty big turn-off, and I wasn't impressed by the movepool as a whole. Mudsdale is slow, but seemed better to me. I am still considering Wishiwashi (school form) over Araquanid since it looks stronger, but idk. Golisopod stood out at first but I didn't want to have to deal with its ability.

Anyways, this will most likely be my team. I would have liked it to be a little faster, but looking at the Alola dex, I think I did what I could. Besides, Tsareena and Raichu-A will help.

Does anyone know how to get the image of the team from the Team Planner into here? I couldn't figure it out.

Pastelle

we're all star stuff
download (1).png

Currently on the second island's Fire- type trial Pokemon Sun, and can I just say I haven't had this much playing a Pokemon game since Platinum when I was 12 years old. I went into it not really knowing what team I wanted to go with, but I think I've settled on this for my first play through, even though there are a ton of Pokemon like Mimikyu, Drampa, and Bewear that I really wanted to use! (p.s. I always nickname my main squad dumb things so bear with me)
Blathers the Decidueye - I started up Sun still not sure what starter I wanted to go with. It was between Rowlett and Popplio. Since I traditionally pick the water starter, I was about 60% sure that I was going with Popplio. But after getting to the starter select, I took a good look at both at them, and something in my heart told me that I had to start with Rowlett. I'm glad I did. I love his design, typing, and I'm having a ton of fun with him.

Scooter the Raichu - As soon as I saw this thing, I knew I needed it. Raichu has been one of my all time favorite team members since Red and Blue, and his new form is so creative and adorable. Evolving him from a Pichu was a PAIN though.

Winnie the Mudsdale - I wasn't originally gonna have this thing as a permanent member, just something to kill some rocks and Electric- types early game, but she really grew on me with her good movepool and bulk. Her design is amazing, and I've always loved Ground- types.

The rest of the team I gotta catch yet lol

??? the Milotic - I allowed myself to have one non-Alolan Pokemon, and since I'm honestly not a big fan of any of the new Water- types, I went with Milotic. Was a close draw between her and Politoed, but decided that Milotic had a better offensive presence and a better movepool. Plus I've never used Milotic in-game before and it's one of my favorites.

??? the Turtonator - I'm not sure how late-game this guy comes in, and I might replace him with Salazzle. But there are SO MANY Dragons in Alola and really wanted to use one! I always try to have F/W/G on my teams, so this guy just kills two birds with one stone.

??? the Ninetails - It's.... it's just so beautiful. I really wanted a Fairy on my team, and when I saw this beauty I knew I needed it.

Does anyone know how to get the image of the team from the Team Planner into here? I couldn't figure it out.
I think in order to get the image you have to screenshot the webpage. I couldn't find a way to save it directly.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just got my copy of Sun this morning. Magnemite is this game's lord and master so far. Haven't gotten to Kiawe yet but I'm pretty sure between Torracat and Hariyama he's toast.

So much fun.

FellFromtheSky

and started walking.
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Ah! This is a very neat thread. As someone who likes to plan to the very last detail, a team planner definitely appeals to me. So far the team above is what I'm planning on using. The only slots I'm not sold on are Lycanroc and Togedemaru; but I felt Lycanroc was necessary to balance out the fire-type weakness, while Togedemaru was necessary because I have four poison weak 'mons (as well as three steel-weak ones). I had planned to restrict myself to only new Alolan native Pokemon, but I happily discovered that all the 'mons I wanted to use were new anyway. At any rate, this is fun. Kudos to the maker of the planner--it's pretty fabulous.

Priam the Primarina: Best starter. Not much else to say. It's gorgeous. It's fairy. I love it.

Chanel the Ribombee: Best bug-type (aside from Volcarona, maybe). Plus it comes early in the game and is a fairy (yes, I love fairies). Also, it's super fast and decently powerful--and I really prefer fast 'mons in-game.

Zack the Lycanroc: I didn't love Lycanroc's design at first, but it really grew on me. It's simultaneously elegant, fierce, and adorable. The rock typing and limited coverage is meh, but I can deal with that for such a cutie.

Genesis the Lurantis: So elegant. This 'mon might be my new favorite grass type. The concept is so clever too! An orchid masquerading as a mantis--how original and ingenious! I adore it!

Viri the Togedemaru: I was quite fond of Dedenne, so it's no surprise I like Togedemaru--who shares quite a few design features with the orange mouse. Togedemaru's steel-typing (and my overabundance of fairies) is what made me ultimately choose it over Alolan Raichu.

Cloud the Alolan Ninetales: Ah! The best for last. Right when it was released, I fell in love with this design. When I heard it was fairy, I was overjoyed. This might be my new favorite 'mon--ever.

Last edited:
im just heading into the last part of the game, heres my team so far:

Primarina, Muk, and Mimikyu are my carries, they do most of the work for sure. Minior really doesnt do much, but I got a yellow one so Im super happy :)

Oranguru got me through the midgame until Primarina and Muk learned powerful moves, now he mostly comes in against Ghost types

I just caught eggy last night, so he hasnt done anything yet, but still super cool :)

Didn't really build this team with a competitive standpoint as I've done with previous generations but I decided to build a team of pokemon I actually like and that might be fun to battle with.
I'm thinking either Vikavolt or Kommo-o for the sixth slot.
Also, I'm new to this place so I really don't know to have the full image.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)