Pokemon Restyle

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Pokemon Restyle

Welcome to Pokemon Restyle! This is a pet mod in which every Pokemon will get revamped in a CAP-like manner. Every Pokemon will have the possibility of having their stats, typings, moves and abilities changed. This will be decided in various phases, during which we'll discuss the moves that are currently on the slate. This pet mod will take quite a long time to complete.

Phase 1: Concept Submissions
During this phase you can submit concepts. We'd like you to create a concept that fits with its current flavor and possibly be based on its role in the metagame its in or based upon a special thing it could do but isn't viable right now. The council will decide what will be slated, so if you submit something like "Speed Boost Sweeper" for Ferrothorn, it'll probably not get slated. We encourage you to be as creative as possible with concepts to get a fun project! We can do anything, so think of sets you wished were possibly, or gimmicks you've tried. We'll try to make it viable!

Concepts will be submitted like this:
Pokemon:
Concept:
Competitive Justification:
Flavor Justification:
Phase 2: Concept Voting and Assessment
This is the second phase. During this you'll be able to vote for a concept on the slate. This is a fairly simple phase and will last about a day. Afterwards we'll get a few days to discuss the concept. We'll decide what is required for the concept (Like Nature Power Sweeper needs to have Nature Power) and tell general ideas and opinions on the concept and how a general Pokemon with the concept would fit in the metagame.

Phase 3: Typing Discussion and Voting
Here we'll discuss which typing is good for the project. Hopefully this won't have to be changed around too much, but it's allowed to be changed. After the submissions died down a little we'll start the voting stage, which is easy voting again. Typings will be suggested during the discussion, to save us time. You can immediately comment on certain typings.

Phase 4: Ability Discussion and Voting
Basically the same as last time. This might be shortened if we have our ability set in stone already, which will probably happen often. Otherwise this will probably be more important as it's bound to be changed in most cases to fit the concept as well as possible and it's a huge role in the Pokemon's viability.

Phase 5: Stats Submissions and Explanation
This is a simple phase, there will just be submissions for the base stats and explanation for why you chose them. This shouldn't take too long if enough people can be bothered to submit something.

Phase 6: Stats Discussion and Voting
This is another voting phase, but during this one you can discuss the Submissions as you haven't been able to since people submitted them. It'd be best if you gave all your opinions in a single post, as you can vote immediately.

Phase 7: Movepool Submissions and Explanation
This is basically the same as Phase 5. It's like this because movepools can be very difficult to create and take very long.

Phase 8: Movepool Discussion and Voting
Basically the same as Phase 6 again, not a lot to explain.

Phase 9: Reviewing
During this phase you can discuss the results of the Pokemon and the Council will look back on what happened. If needed they reserve the right to change something.

FAQ:
How long does this take?
Phases will last a day or two, depending on the stage, as the process will last too long otherwise.

What happens with NFE Pokemon?
They'll be revamped by the council on a pure flavor basis that fits their evolutions. We won't make them competitively viable.

What happens with Mega Evolutions and multiple forms?
They'll be done at the same time as the original form, which means extra work!

Approved by Eevee General on Pokemon Showdown.

Council (Currently):
Snaquaza
Jack Dalton
Phione
The Reptile

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We'll start this Pet Mod simply! The first Pokemon we'll revamp are:

The Kanto Starters!

The first step is Concept Submissions. You can now submit them. Read the OP for more information. Please submit in this format. Remember that the concept may be about the Mega forms of them. The same Pokemon will keep Mega Evolutions, so go ahead and grab your chance!

Pokemon:
Concept:
Competitive Justification:
Flavor Justification:

Pokemon: Blastoise
Concept: Bulky Rapid Spinner
Competitive Justification: Blastoise as a bulky spinner why should it be a bulky spinner? I feel it fits it perfectly because looking at its design its a turtle and has a giant shell its reflected up by its defenses with 79/100/105 bulk. It is let down a little bit by its small Hp. I feel it is let down by only having one typing, the other two Kanto starter both have dual typing that fit them. Charizard has wings it got flying type as its secondary typing. Venusaur is a poisonous plant it was given poison typing as its secondary typing. Now what would help Blastoise need Steel typing. Why Steel typing you may ask why? Look at Blastoise back he has steel cannons on its back its very fitting for it. Steel typing would also benefit it as a bulky spinner. Steel typing would give it many new resistance's such as Bug, Dragon, Fairy, Flying, Normal, Psychic, Rock, Water. Then giving it a dual resistance to Ice and Steel, and an Immunity to poison. It also gives it new weaknesses electric, fighting, and ground. Honestly I feel blastoise needs to become a better bulky rapid spinner.
Flavor Justification: As a turtle it should be bulky, also taking its shell into account should be bulky. Then looking at its steel cannons it should be part steel.

Last edited:

kevinrocks

Merry Wanderer of the Night
Pokemon: Venusaur
Concept: A Venusaur that abuses draining moves (ex: Leech Seed, Giga drain). Venusaur can be very annoying with the draining moves that it has, and the constant health income can keep it on the field for an extended period of time.
Competitive Justification: Venusaur will be able to abuse draining moves to its fullest. If this gets a free turn, it can be extremely hard to break, especially as a Mega. Things like Ingrain and Big Root, which are rarely used, could see some light.
Flavor Justification: It has a huge flower on it's back, and it's numerous de entries state that the flower on it's back supplies it with nutrients and that it gets filled with power.

Concept: A pokemon that abuses status moves to set up and sweep.
Competitive Justification: This could be very useful, especially if we (hint hint) added encore. Venusaur already has a nice disrupting movepool and it would be cool to see it abuse these moves. Moves such as encore and sleep powder/stun spore allow this pokemon some free turns to set up and attack. This is a good strategy and is mainly hampered by switching out.
Flavor Justification: It mentions multiple times in its dex entries how it manipulates pokemon in battles, and I wanted it to use this to its advantage.

Pokemon: Venusaur-Mega
Concept: A pokemon that is able to use the terrain to its advantage, most notably grassy terrain. It can use the terrain to bolster itself or to manipulate enemies.
Competitive Justification: Changing the field shapes the battle to your advantage. The terrain moves aren't commonly used competitively, but they have potential as it can provide coverage, weaken enemies, heal your pokemon, and protect you from status.
Flavor Justification: It ends up growing a jungle on its back as it mega evolves, so it technically is a terrain? We also know it can manipulate nature with moves such as (gasp!) grassy terrain, so why not bolster it with some more terrain-making skill?

Pokemon: Charizard
Concept: A pokemon that becomes stronger as the battle goes on.
Competitive Justification: We all know how effective abilities like moxie or speed boost can be on sweepers. You can switch in and kill a weak pokemon, making you more powerful so you can beat more powerful pokemon. The downside to this is that switching becomes a bad idea.
Flavor Justification: Its flame burns brighter if it has experienced harsh battles. Let's just assume that all battles are harsh battles, so it becomes more powerful.

Pokemon: Charizard-Mega-X
Concept: A pokemon that uses resttalk to become more powerful.
Competitive Justification: Stall and set up sweeping have abused resttalk, but what about bulky offense? This provides reliable healing and powerful attacks, as well as the ability to pp stall if it is needed.
Flavor Justification: Honestly there is very little flavor for this, I just think it would be cool. I guess Ash's charizard is mildly lazy in the anime?

Pokemon: Charizard-Mega-Y
Concept: A pokemon capable of adapting to almost any situation.
Competitive Justification: Adapting to situations is really handy. Just look at greninja and aegislash :P
Flavor Justification: Charizard is a dinosaur-lizard-dragon thingy that has adapted to control fire. Due to exposure to many different, hazardous situations, it has become very adaptable (I'm using that word way too much.)

Concept: An pokemon that is a tank and an excellent hazard remover.
Competitive Justification: This thing would hit hard and tank hits, all while keeping hazards from beating your talonflames and charizards. It would be useful as a utility mon, while not being set-up fodder.
Flavor Justification: It already has rapid spin to clear hazards, it can withdraw into its shell to protect itself, and it "can punch through thick steel" with its jets of water.

Pokemon: Blastoise-Mega
Concept: A pokemon that starts off as a special attacker and becomes a physical attacker as it racks up kills.
Competitive Justification: It can break through walls on both sides of the spectrum this way. It boosts its stats high enough to sweep with its off stat.
Flavor Justification: It mentions both crushing pokemon with its heavy shell and firing jets of water at the opponent. The pokedex never decides whether it should be a physical attacker or a special attacker, so why not have it morph from one to the other?

Last edited:

Snaquaza

KACAW
Doing Charizard rn. Will post others later if I think of something.

Concept: A Pokemon that forces mindgames with the opponent which Pokemon it'll mega-evolve into. The mega-evolutions will be very different and a misplay by the opponent can have major results, due to the different strengths of the Mega-Evolutions. This will cause your opponent to have to be able to read you well.
Competitive Justification: This is cool because it forces you to think well which Pokemon to use to counter it. It might be pretty easy to beat with the right Pokemon, but able to easily beat Pokemon that are lured in by the other Mega Evolution.
Flavor Justification: It has two relatively different Mega Evolutions, even if they have quite similar counters (Heatran, Azumarill). It's also one of the few Pokemon with multiple Mega Evolutions, so one of the few that can execute this concept, and the only one that's not legendary.

Concept: A Pokemon that poses a great defensive threat before Mega Evolving that Mega Evolves into a large offensive threat. Another plus of this concept is that it might be better to hold of Mega Evolving at times, to keep the defense. Venusaur should keep in its normal form during the largest part of the game, only Mega Evolving when it can sweep the opponent, or at least heavily damage them.
Competitive Justification: It'd be cool to have a Pokemon that can be both defensive and offensive within a single match. It's also cool to have something that has a good reason to not Mega-Evolve for a great deal of the match. I think it's good for the Pokemon as well as it can do stuff like support the team or setup before it Mega Evolves, and it'd be interesting to see how people would stop it.
Flavor Justification: Honestly I turned this one around. Normally it poses a better offensive threat in its normal form (Chlorophyll), though not a great one. Mega Venusaur is a great wall. This does show that Venusaur can be both offensive and defensive, which is shown by its normally balanced Stat Spread as well. Capitalizing on this would be a good concept to build around as you can go a lot of ways.

Concept: A Pokemon with a small and specific movepool that can hold its own. This can be done due to a specific ability, stats or typing, so we can go wherever we want.
Competitive Justification: It would be cool to have a Pokemon that can hold its own even when it has a small movepool. Most Pokemon get crippled a lot from an average movepool, but this should discover what is needed to make a Pokemon good without a special movepool, or what buffs a specific movepool.
Flavor Justification: Blastoise doesn't have a big movepool. Rapid Spin is good, but otherwise it gets standard coverage for Water-type and some relatively weak Pulse moves. This causes normal Blastoise to be pretty mediocre. Mega Blastoise is able to hold its own as it's a strong Rapid Spinner with Mega Launcher boosted Dark Pulse and high Special Attack. Something similar that allows a small/standard/specific movepool to shine would be the idea.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile

Concept: A wall that walls differently between the two forms (standard and mega), whether this is by ability, stats, type, or some other factor.
Competitive Justification: Venusaur has aways been more of a wall-y mon, and it's clear to see why. Poison and Grass are both pretty unapealing offensive typings. However, they're decent enough defensively due to their niche defensive properties (Grass resistance to Water and Electric, Poison resistance to Fighting and Fairy and other things like that), leading to a more wall-ish mon probably being better than something offensive. However, instead of walling just by having the mega be the better wall, both forms can work as a wall due to certain properties. For example, item-related abilities and the fact that it can hold Black Sludge. There's also the fact that it doesn't take up your Mega Slot. Meanwhile the Mega can get an ability that lets it function and wall different things. A good example would be in standard how Venu gets Thick Fay, letting it wall a lot of other things.
Flavor Justification: Its a giant fat frog (?) and has always had a more defensive spread, so it being more of a wall is kind of expected. Not much else to say in this regard honestly.

Concept: An offensive mon that relies on mind-games to apply pressure and/or potentially sweep the opponent by utilizing its two megas rather than having a good base form.
Competitive Justification: It has 2 megas is basically the core idea of this concept, as nothing really has this potential due to not having 2 megas. They can pull something similar but not to Charizard's crazy level. Keep in mine that, while I did say relies, it shouldn't completely rely on these mind-games and be decent mons in of themselves. Fire is also a good offensive typing, as it destroys things with its decent offensive coverage.
Flavor Justification: Its Charizard - the big (we thought it was big, at least ;_;) fiery dragon! It would be strange for it being a defensive mon despite Fire having some defensive merit. Also, Fire-types have always been more on the offensive side, especially in Gen 1. The closes thing we have to a bulkmon is probably something like Arcanine. Bulky Fire just wasn't a thing back then.

Concept: A bulky hazard control mon that is also able to apply offensive pressure
Competitive Justification: Not only am I going for a bulky spinner - it should also be able to apply pressure instead of being passive. It should be able to take damage and deal it back. It should be able to use its offensive pressure and "free turns" to control hazards, since it already has a precedence of doing so.
Flavor Justification: The tank turtle is a tank? That sounds pretty reasonable to me!

Competitive Justification: Blastoise as a bulky spinner why should it be a bulky spinner? I feel it fits it perfectly because looking at its design its a turtle and has a giant shell its reflected up by its defenses with 79/100/105 bulk. It is let down a little bit by its small Hp. I feel it is let down by only having one typing, the other two Kanto starter both have dual typing that fit them. Charizard has wings it got flying type as its secondary typing. Venusaur is a poisonous plant it was given poison typing as its secondary typing. Now what would help Blastoise need Steel typing. Why Steel typing you may ask why? Look at Blastoise back he has steel cannons on its back its very fitting for it. Steel typing would also benefit it as a bulky spinner. Steel typing would give it many new resistance's such as Bug, Dragon, Fairy, Flying, Normal, Psychic, Rock, Water. Then giving it a dual resistance to Ice and Steel, and an Immunity to poison. It also gives it new weaknesses electric, fighting, and ground. Honestly I feel blastoise needs to become a better bulky rapid spinner.
Flavor Justification: As a turtle it should be bulky, also taking its shell into account should be bulky. Then looking at its steel cannons it should be part steel.
It might work differently here, IDK, but in CAP this would be considered poll-jumping. You are not supposed to completely outline the stats, ability and typing, and generally not even list moves unless the concept is focused on said moves. This is because it completely removes the need for every stage after Concept Submissions. Correct me if I'm wrong, Snaquaza.

Pokemon: Mega Blastoise
Concept: WALL
Competitive: Blastoise has always had this idea that it's a wall, kind of, sort of (Withdraw, for instance), and it has some of the tools to be a cool stallmon (Rapid Spin), aaaaand then Mega Blastoise went "screw that, I'm GIANT CANNON TURTLEMAN" and it became a slow, bulky Special attacker... which is nice, I guess... but puts it in competition with tons of other Special attackers, and Mega Launcher is a dumb gimmick that is only even slightly interesting in Triples -where the best Mega Blastoise-centered strategy I've seen is Water Spout, with Thundurus and Tornadus providing support. (Tailwind, for one) So I really want to move away from Mega Launcher.
Flavor: It's a giant turtle. With cannons, but that just means it's not completely passive.

Concept: A wall-breaker that utilizes it's multiple Mega-Evolutions to break different switch-ins

Competitive: The ability to have an opponent be unaware of the form that will be coming in is valuable, and can be abused for wall-breaking. The idea would be to have each mega specialize in one attacking type, and use it's unpredictability to lure and kill walls. Each form would optimally have completely different counters than the other in order to maximize it's use as a lure.

Flavor: It's a dragon whose fire gets so hot that they turn blue / creates a drought. Tell me that isn't meant to destroy walls.

Concept: Pokemon that chips of the foe's health slowly.
Competitive Justificiation: Venusaur has the potential to chip off the opponent's health with it's Leech Seed or Toxic of choice, while having moves like Synthesis to aid in it's 80/83/100 bulk. This Pokemon should mainly be used as support to it's team to get off the little bit of damage needed to get a Guranteed OHKO.
Flavor Justification: I don't really have anything to say, maybe the big flower on it's back would like some of it's opponents health?

Aw, dammit, when Snaq sent me this link and told me to submit, I thought it was to redesign a Pokemon like the Pikachus up there so I got excited and did this:

(

)

Errr, that said,

Concept: Charizard being competetively useable in his normal form - even more infinite mindgames.

Competetive: in Competetive battling, only Charizard's mega forms are ever used. The mindgame involves the opponent guessing between whether it's running mega X or Mega Y... But WHAT IF one of the possibilities involved him not running mega -- as in, a set as regular Charizard? That gives him three possible viable formes, plenty of sets on each. The ultimate mindgaming wallbreaker sweeper... thing.

Flavour: Regular charizard is practically the second mascot of Pokemon. Surely his normal, non-mega forme should get some love?

Snaquaza

KACAW
Phase 2: Concept Voting
Charizard:

Concept: A pokemon that becomes stronger as the battle goes on.
Competitive Justification: We all know how effective abilities like moxie or speed boost can be on sweepers. You can switch in and kill a weak pokemon, making you more powerful so you can beat more powerful pokemon. The downside to this is that switching becomes a bad idea.
Flavor Justification: Its flame burns brighter if it has experienced harsh battles. Let's just assume that all battles are harsh battles, so it becomes more powerful.

Pokemon: Charizard-Mega-X
Concept: A pokemon that uses resttalk to become more powerful.
Competitive Justification: Stall and set up sweeping have abused resttalk, but what about bulky offense? This provides reliable healing and powerful attacks, as well as the ability to pp stall if it is needed.
Flavor Justification: Honestly there is very little flavor for this, I just think it would be cool. I guess Ash's charizard is mildly lazy in the anime?

Pokemon: Charizard-Mega-Y
Concept: A pokemon capable of adapting to almost any situation.
Competitive Justification: Adapting to situations is really handy. Just look at greninja and aegislash :P
Flavor Justification: Charizard is a dinosaur-lizard-dragon thingy that has adapted to control fire. Due to exposure to many different, hazardous situations, it has become very adaptable (I'm using that word way too much.)
Concept: A Pokemon that forces mindgames with the opponent which Pokemon it'll mega-evolve into. The mega-evolutions will be very different and a misplay by the opponent can have major results, due to the different strengths of the Mega-Evolutions. This will cause your opponent to have to be able to read you well.
Competitive Justification: This is cool because it forces you to think well which Pokemon to use to counter it. It might be pretty easy to beat with the right Pokemon, but able to easily beat Pokemon that are lured in by the other Mega Evolution.
Flavor Justification: It has two relatively different Mega Evolutions, even if they have quite similar counters (Heatran, Azumarill). It's also one of the few Pokemon with multiple Mega Evolutions, so one of the few that can execute this concept, and the only one that's not legendary.
The Reptile 's and TheBurgerKing99 were about the same as mine, so only the first got slated.

Blastoise:
Concept: An pokemon that is a tank and an excellent hazard remover.
Competitive Justification: This thing would hit hard and tank hits, all while keeping hazards from beating your talonflames and charizards. It would be useful as a utility mon, while not being set-up fodder.
Flavor Justification: It already has rapid spin to clear hazards, it can withdraw into its shell to protect itself, and it "can punch through thick steel" with its jets of water.

Pokemon: Blastoise-Mega
Concept: A pokemon that starts off as a special attacker and becomes a physical attacker as it racks up kills.
Competitive Justification: It can break through walls on both sides of the spectrum this way. It boosts its stats high enough to sweep with its off stat.
Flavor Justification: It mentions both crushing pokemon with its heavy shell and firing jets of water at the opponent. The pokedex never decides whether it should be a physical attacker or a special attacker, so why not have it morph from one to the other?
The Reptile 's idea was about the same, so didn't get slated.

Concept: A Pokemon with a small and specific movepool that can hold its own. This can be done due to a specific ability, stats or typing, so we can go wherever we want.
Competitive Justification: It would be cool to have a Pokemon that can hold its own even when it has a small movepool. Most Pokemon get crippled a lot from an average movepool, but this should discover what is needed to make a Pokemon good without a special movepool, or what buffs a specific movepool.
Flavor Justification: Blastoise doesn't have a big movepool. Rapid Spin is good, but otherwise it gets standard coverage for Water-type and some relatively weak Pulse moves. This causes normal Blastoise to be pretty mediocre. Mega Blastoise is able to hold its own as it's a strong Rapid Spinner with Mega Launcher boosted Dark Pulse and high Special Attack. Something similar that allows a small/standard/specific movepool to shine would be the idea.
Venusaur:
Concept: A Venusaur that abuses draining moves (ex: Leech Seed, Giga drain). Venusaur can be very annoying with the draining moves that it has, and the constant health income can keep it on the field for an extended period of time.
Competitive Justification: Venusaur will be able to abuse draining moves to its fullest. If this gets a free turn, it can be extremely hard to break, especially as a Mega. Things like Ingrain and Big Root, which are rarely used, could see some light.
Flavor Justification: It has a huge flower on it's back, and it's numerous de entries state that the flower on it's back supplies it with nutrients and that it gets filled with power.

Concept: A wall that walls differently between the two forms (standard and mega), whether this is by ability, stats, type, or some other factor.
Competitive Justification: Venusaur has aways been more of a wall-y mon, and it's clear to see why. Poison and Grass are both pretty unapealing offensive typings. However, they're decent enough defensively due to their niche defensive properties (Grass resistance to Water and Electric, Poison resistance to Fighting and Fairy and other things like that), leading to a more wall-ish mon probably being better than something offensive. However, instead of walling just by having the mega be the better wall, both forms can work as a wall due to certain properties. For example, item-related abilities and the fact that it can hold Black Sludge. There's also the fact that it doesn't take up your Mega Slot. Meanwhile the Mega can get an ability that lets it function and wall different things. A good example would be in standard how Venu gets Thick Fay, letting it wall a lot of other things.
Flavor Justification: Its a giant fat frog (?) and has always had a more defensive spread, so it being more of a wall is kind of expected. Not much else to say in this regard honestly.
Concept: A Pokemon that poses a great defensive threat before Mega Evolving that Mega Evolves into a large offensive threat. Another plus of this concept is that it might be better to hold of Mega Evolving at times, to keep the defense. Venusaur should keep in its normal form during the largest part of the game, only Mega Evolving when it can sweep the opponent, or at least heavily damage them.
Competitive Justification: It'd be cool to have a Pokemon that can be both defensive and offensive within a single match. It's also cool to have something that has a good reason to not Mega-Evolve for a great deal of the match. I think it's good for the Pokemon as well as it can do stuff like support the team or setup before it Mega Evolves, and it'd be interesting to see how people would stop it.
Flavor Justification: Honestly I turned this one around. Normally it poses a better offensive threat in its normal form (Chlorophyll), though not a great one. Mega Venusaur is a great wall. This does show that Venusaur can be both offensive and defensive, which is shown by its normally balanced Stat Spread as well. Capitalizing on this would be a good concept to build around as you can go a lot of ways.
Jack Dalton and I decided on these slates. You can vote one time for each Pokemon. Please bold the person's name you vote for per 'mon. Remember that you can get on the council if you contribute well!

Post the votes in the thread.

Last edited:

canno

formerly The Reptile
So do we PM the votes to someone or do we just post them? I don't think this was addressed in the OP

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)