Project Pokemon of the Week #3: Sandslash

Status
Not open for further replies.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Approved by based llamas
Taken over from MikeDawg (OP also from Mike)

Past POTW:
Shiftry
Xatu

Hey guys, Arikado here bringing everyone the next Pokemon of the Week! Format shamelessly stolen from TRC.

The XY RU Pokemon of the Week is an (obviously) weekly project in the Rarelyused forum. The idea originated from when we were reading many of the discussion threads, often the discussion is a bit lacking in the content department. Our goal here to is to highlight a threat in the metagame that isn't as well known, or isn't used as much as it should be, and provide a concise amount of information about that Pokemon; this will encourage creativity during teambuilding, and it will also provide an instant wealth of knowledge about that particular threat. This will hopefully be more helpful to the massive mediocre influx of new players in the RU subforum and promote better discussion within the individual threads.

In this thread though, the main point of discussion should be about experiences with that particular Pokemon and the sets featured, and how it has helped in some way during your battling. Niche sets and gimmicks can be mentioned as well, but bear in mind that this thread is mainly an informative source of knowledge through what is written in the OP. Think of this like an article highlighting a new threat. As such, discussion should be oriented towards highlighting its upsides, downsides, and niches. Oh yeah, you can also VM me what you think the next POTW should be, bearing in mind that they will be on lesser-used threats.

Depending on how this project goes in terms of activity (OU is certainly more active than RU), it may be edited accordingly. Perhaps more than one pokemon will be featured a week, etc. We'll see how it goes!

This week's Pokemon of the Week is: Sandslash

Type: Ground
Base Stats: 75 HP / 100 Atk / 110 Def / 45 SpA / 55 SpD / 65 Spe
Abilities: Sand Veil / Sand Rush (HA)

Introduction:
Sandslash, according to a lot of people, used to be the laughing stock of RU last generation (I wouldn't know that cuz I didn't play BW RU but w/e). Not now though, and that is because of a single thing: Knock Off buff. Knock Off made Sandslash turn from a bad spinner into pretty much the best dedicated spinner in the tier in XY RU, Along with its access to another great supportive move which is Stealth Rock. Other than Knock Off and Rapid Spin, Sandslash has all the moves it needs in its movepool: a good STAB in Earthquake, good coverage in Stone Edge and even Iron Tail, and access to a boosting move in Swords Dance, which can potentially make Sandslash dangerous. Its stats aren't impressive by any means, but it has a respectable 100 Attack as well as good physical bulk with 75 HP and 110 Def, but its SpD isn't anything special, and its speed is mediocre at best.

As I stated, it is the best spinner in RU because quite simply, the only spinblocker that can take a hit or two from Sandslash is Cofagrigus, which isn't easy to wear down if it keeps switching in on repeated Knock Offs as it lacks reliable recovery.

Sadly, Sandslash's abilities are mostly useless since they are sand dependent, and the only sand setter (Hippopotas) isn't viable enough to use alongside Sandslash, and Sand is by no means popular in RU.

What to try:

Sandslash @ Leftovers / Soft Sand
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock / Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

This set focuses on what Sandslash can do best, which is spinning and setting up Stealth Rock. With max attack, it can 2HKO all spinblockers bar Cofagrigus, including the infamous Doublade, Jellicent, Spiritomb (needs SR for a comfortable 2HKO without Soft Sand), Mismagius, and Banette with the respective moves. With its bulk it can also be used to check some Pokemon such as Cobalion and Rhyperior. Swords Dance along with Soft Sand allows Sandslash to OHKO Spiritomb and Doublade at +2 with Earthquake, and allows Sandslash to not be a sitting duck against stall since a +2 Sandslash can do work with powerful Knock Offs and Earthquakes. 4 Speed EVs allow it to outspeed both Roselia and Alomomola.

Sandslash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

This set of Sandslash focuses on its physical defense, and uses it to check the Pokemon it checks such as Cobalion, Doublade, and Hitmonlee better and have more survivability in general. It can still defeat Doublade thanks to the Knock Off + Earthquake combo, but it doesn't pack as much of a punch as the offensive set does and therefore can't 2HKO Spiritomb with Earthquake after SR.

Checks and Counters:
Thanks to Sandslash's pitiful SpD stat, any special attacker can comfortable deal heavy damage to it. Virizion resists both Earthquake and Knock Off, and actually appreciates Knock Off for the justified boost, and can use Sandslash as set-up fodder and KO with a +2 Leaf Blade. Grass-types like Rotom-C and Tangrowth fear nothing as the former is immune to Earthquake and the latter resists it, and both threaten to KO Sandslash with their STAB moves. Alomomola is a physical wall that can handle Sandslash pretty well and has Scald to eventually overwhelm it. In general, special attackers, grass-types, and sturdy physical walls like Alomomola can keep Sandslash in check.

Teammates:
By common sense, Pokemon that like hazards gone are good teammates. Fire-types like Moltres, Fletchinder, and Delphox like Stealth Rock gone and are good Pokemon to handle the Grass-types that Sandslash struggles against, and they can also remove Alomomola with their strong Special Attack stat and secondary STAB moves or in Delphox's case, Grass Knot. Just like Fire-types, Flying-types also like Stealth Rock gone, and that makes Braviary and Swellow pretty good teammates, especially considering that SubBU Braviary can set up on Alomomola, a big Sandslash counter. Wish support on more balanced teams can be appreciated especially considering how Sandslash has no recovery outside of

Topics For Discussion:
  • What are good partners that you have found for Sandslash?
  • What have you found puts a stop to most Sandslash variants? How can you overcome them?
  • What is the most useful Sandslash set of the two?
  • What sorts of innovative sets or moves can Sandslash run? Sandstorm Sweeper? Counter?
  • How should Sandslash be played?
  • When should Sandslash be used relative to other threats?

I'm glad that it [Sandslash] is getting more attention as RU's dedicated spinner atm, and I have a feeling it will only get more opportunities to come in and spin as the metagame shifts with new arrivals and departures, Yanmega being the most controversial departure from RU I have heard of (i hear a lot of people calling doublade out as well, which could be bad for slash imo). Sandslash should be played rather conservatively, as a bad play could result in a setup opportunity for dangerous sweepers like Virizion (sets up on slash), Zoroark (sets up on a switch bc of illusion shenanigans), and more. I'm excited to see the cores people come up with, I might just build around one if I get to it n_n

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, I guess I'll give my thoughts on Sandslash:

So, I've been using Sanslash on a bulky offense team that already has a Stealth Rock setter but doesn't really require an extra Swords Dance sweeper. Although it doesn't always have to spin, just being able to come in on predicted Volt Switches is really cool to kill momentum. It has some very respectable power behind its EQs while Knock Off is a very spammable move. Since I haven't needed Rocks or SD, I've been running Stone Edge in the last slot to screw with incoming Flying-types expecting to come in on EQ for free. It may not get used much, but it's really cool to smash that Yanmega or Moltres coming in, thinking they've got it made. Anyhow, on to particular points:

What are good partners that you have found for Sandslash? I've found Virizion and Moltres to be really neat partners for Sandslash. Virizion is easily able to take Water- and Grass-type moves for Sanslash and begin setting up SD (or CM) while also absorbing Knock Off quite well for Sandslash. Moltres 4x resists Grass and completely bones Grass-types with its powerful STAB attacks. It can either setup an Agility or just smash the opposition with its STAB moves. Sandslash is able to easily come in on Electric- and Rock-type moves for Tres, which can be especially helpful for LO Roost and Scarf Moltres sets since LO sets are outsped by most Electric-types whlie Scarf sets may find themselves locked in unfavorable moves at times.

What have you found puts a stop to most Sandslash variants? How can you overcome them? Virizion is an absolute pain in the ass for Sandslash. It resists EQ, gains an Attack boost from Knock Off, and doesn't even care about Stone Edge. It sets up SD or CM easily on Slash and then threatens a sweep. Thankfully, Doublade works quite well since it cold stops any Virizion and spinblocks possible Stealth Rock that Sandslash sets. Fletchinder is also a pretty safe switch-in to Virizion since Acrobatics destroys it while Fletch also likes the Spin support Sandslash provides. Most other Grass- and Water-types in general threaten Sandslash, though most are crippled by Knock Off. Moltres, Fletchinder, and Delphox destroy the Grass-types while a Grass-type of your own can handle Water-types Slash doesn't like.

What is the most useful Sandslash set of the two? The offensive one, byfar. Although the defensive one has uses on Stall teams, the offensive spinner set gives Sandslash the pop it needs to quickly remove Doublade, the tier's best spinblocker, without taking too much damage in the process. I've actually been using more of a "go-between" spread with a focus on offense, but I'll get to that later.

What sorts of innovative sets or moves can Sandslash run? Sandstorm Sweeper? Counter? None of those actually. I feel that one move that hasn't been explored much on Sandslash is Toxic, especially on the defensive set. Considering most of Sandslash's switch-ins will consist of bulky Waters (Alomomola, Slowking, Gastrodon, etc.) and Grass-types (Tangrowth and Virizion) Toxic is an interesting way of crippling them. While the offensive set would have a really hard time using the move, I think the defensive set could easily use it over Stealth Rock if there is already a user of it on the team Sandslash is being added to (think Registeel, Cobalion, Druddigon, etc.)

How should Sandslash be played?
This depends on the set. The Offensive spinner wants to come in on resisted hits, double switches, or U-turn / Volt Switch to avoid taking too much damage. Once in, the this Sandslash can threaten a Knock Off / EQ to an incoming Ghost, or a Rapid Spin as it forces out whatever it comes in on. Rhyperior, Cobalion, Choiced Electric attacks, and Registeel are some of the things this Sandslash should be coming into and forcing out. The defensive set has more switch-in opportunities thanks to the increase in physical bulk, but it doesn't have as many options once it is in. Due to the much lower firepower, defensive Sandslash can't utilize EQ and Knock Off as recklessly and are forced into using Spin or Rocks more often than not. Of course, the base 100 Attack and STAB still gives EQ some power, especially from a defensive Pokemon, but most neutral targets will be fine against it, unlike with the offensive set.

When should Sandslash be used relative to other threats?
Sandslash is a Pokemon that should be used early or mid game. As its primary role is to keep hazards off the field, you should keep Sandslash around long enough to outlast opposing hazard setters. Thankfully, Sandslash is a good switch-in to a fair few of them, including Rhyperior and Cobalion, two of the premier SR setters in RU. Once these hazard setters have been eliminated, you should use Sandslash a bit differently depending on the set. The offensive set can be used as a hole puncher since it has SD and relatively strong EQs and Knock Offs. The defensive set is usually relied upon to set Stealth Rock as well as Spin. Once these duties are done, defensive Sandslash sets can be used to check most physical attackers in the tier and wear them down / outright KO them. It still has a respectable EQ thanks to base 100 Attack and STAB, so it'll still take out Ground-weak Pokemon without many issues.

As for the set I've been using, it focuses on offense, but doesn't neglect Sandslash's defensive qualities:

Sandslash (M) @ Soft Sand
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Atk / 76 Def / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge

I can't fully remember what the Defense EVs do, but iirc, it ensures that Sandslash can survive LO Adamant Hitmonlee's HJK and KO back with EQ. The extra physical bulk in general helps it better handle the likes of Cobalion (needs LO to OHKO at +2 with CC) and Rhyperior (Tank set fails to 2HKO after Rocks) The Soft Sand boost gives EQ more power to make up for the EVs moves from Attack to Defense. Stone Edge is found in the last slot as I use this on a team that already has 2 SD users and a sturdy Rocks user. Overall, I quite like the set and Sandslash as a whole. It's not the best Pokemon in the tier, but ti's Mr. Reliable when it comes to spinning away entry hazards and should be considered for any team that is weak to entry hazards. The offensive set works well on offense, bulky offense, and balance teams while the defensive set can work for semi-stall and full stall teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)