Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow to be re-released for the 3DS Virtual Console

Earlier today I was trying to encounter Missingno to duplicate some items, using a Gengar with a Special stat of 184. However instead of Missingno (Ghost form) I encountered a Blastoise. Any idea what went wrong? Does 184 not work anymore? I honestly can't be bothered to train another Pokemon until it has a special of 182/183. I specifically used the level 100 Gengar from Brock's Gym so I already had a Pokemon with a stat that was close to 182-184.

Got the "ws m" item multiplication code to work earlier; currently in the midst of duplicating all useful TMs. (And, I guess, tossing non-useful ones to make room in the PC.) After that I'll attempt the max-DV and stat experience code and hope all goes well. I made my bootstrapping code box Box 12, so I have to be very intentional about switching to it and can easily double check from Bill's PC before doing anything with coding.

Worst-case scenario, I can always do another run-through really quickly with some level 100s obtained early in the game. I guess it's weird to even be focused on doing all the stat-maxing tricks, but I can't help it when it comes to Pokemon. I only have a few people to battle locally (they're also going to do these at some point), but I hope I can find an unofficial tournament or something at some point to pay off on making an actual gen 1 competitive team.

I honestly can't be bothered to train another Pokemon until it has a special of 182/183. I specifically used the level 100 Gengar from Brock's Gym so I already had a Pokemon with a stat that was close to 182-184.
It's honestly a breeze if you just repeat the level 1 Pokemon trick. The grass below Pewter City can give you Nidoking and Ivysaur, both of which can easily be in range for 182-184 at level 100. Just get it up to 100 and make sure it's ten or so under the range, then save and tinker around with Calcium to see if you can hit your target. Took me three tries, but I wound up with a Nidoking with 183 Special, ad I just keep it around as a Missingno. trigger. Ditto for hitting 194 to obtain ws m (although I just used Rare Candies and Calcium on an Articuno for that).

Some trial and error, but not a whole lot of effort. Definitely no training involved.

In this case, though, are you sure your Gengar was still at 184? If you've been taking it through the game with you at all and have deposited it in the PC, its stats will have recalculated. Same thing if you've used any Calcium on it.

EDIT -- In fact, Gengar's Special can't go low enough to obtain those Missignos. Its minimum is 265. Blastoise's hex number is 28, so you're rolling over the 255 maximum far enough to wind up triggering Blastoise.

Last edited:
Got the "ws m" item multiplication code to work earlier; currently in the midst of duplicating all useful TMs. (And, I guess, tossing non-useful ones to make room in the PC.) After that I'll attempt the max-DV and stat experience code and hope all goes well. I made my bootstrapping code box Box 12, so I have to be very intentional about switching to it and can easily double check from Bill's PC before doing anything with coding.

Worst-case scenario, I can always do another run-through really quickly with some level 100s obtained early in the game. I guess it's weird to even be focused on doing all the stat-maxing tricks, but I can't help it when it comes to Pokemon. I only have a few people to battle locally (they're also going to do these at some point), but I hope I can find an unofficial tournament or something at some point to pay off on making an actual gen 1 competitive team.

It's honestly a breeze if you just repeat the level 1 Pokemon trick. The grass below Pewter City can give you Nidoking and Ivysaur, both of which can easily be in range for 182-184 at level 100. Just get it up to 100 and make sure it's ten or so under the range, then save and tinker around with Calcium to see if you can hit your target. Took me three tries, but I wound up with a Nidoking with 183 Special, ad I just keep it around as a Missingno. trigger. Ditto for hitting 194 to obtain ws m (although I just used Rare Candies and Calcium on an Articuno for that).

Some trial and error, but not a whole lot of effort. Definitely no training involved.

In this case, though, are you sure your Gengar was still at 184? If you've been taking it through the game with you at all and have deposited it in the PC, its stats will have recalculated. Same thing if you've used any Calcium on it.

EDIT -- In fact, Gengar's Special can't go low enough to obtain those Missignos. Its minimum is 265. Blastoise's hex number is 28, so you're rolling over the 255 maximum far enough to wind up triggering Blastoise.
This is exactly what I did. I got lvl 100 Nidoking before Brock and Thrashed my way through gym leaders. Just make sure you have enough Pokeballs (at least 8 maybe) and lower its HP to 33% to maximize catching chances.
To get to 182-183 special, just repeat that. I agree Nidoking and Ivysaur are our best bets. Don't use the Ditto glitch, it's longer. Sometimes it took me over 10 minutes just to find one. Use it only for duping and encountering P pkmn PP'.
With these techniques, in just over 5 hours, I got WS M and finished the setup for the DV Glitch.

This is exactly what I did. I got lvl 100 Nidoking before Brock and Thrashed my way through gym leaders. Just make sure you have enough Pokeballs (at least 8 maybe) and lower its HP to 33% to maximize catching chances.
To get to 182-183 special, just repeat that. I agree Nidoking and Ivysaur are our best bets. Don't use the Ditto glitch, it's longer. Sometimes it took me over 10 minutes just to find one. Use it only for duping and encountering P pkmn PP'.
With these techniques, in just over 5 hours, I got WS M and finished the setup for the DV Glitch.
So I assume the fastest possible way to go from New Game to being ready to set up competitive teams looks something like this?

-Obtain level 100 before Brock
-Blow through the game skipping most trainers, just collecting badges, until you're at Cinnibar Island. Get the Master Ball.
-Repeat Ditto trick a few times for more level 100s to hit the right special stats for Missingno. and P Pkmn PP.
-Trigger Missignno. once for Nuggets, (so you can buy all the stuff you need), a second time for Revives (minimum setup for the item duplication trick using ws m), and a third time for Masterballs.
-Trigger P Pkmn PP to obtain ws m.
-Go around using Master Balls to fill bootstrapping code box. (Will almost definitely need to trigger Missingno. a fourth time for Rare Candies to get the proper HP on Slowpoke.)
-Use ws m to duplicate any items you need.
-You're set up to duplicate items at will and perform the DV code.

That about right?

So I assume the fastest possible way to go from New Game to being ready to set up competitive teams looks something like this?

-Obtain level 100 before Brock
-Blow through the game skipping most trainers, just collecting badges, until you're at Cinnibar Island. Get the Master Ball.
-Repeat Ditto trick a few times for more level 100s to hit the right special stats for Missingno. and P Pkmn PP.
-Trigger Missignno. once for Nuggets, (so you can buy all the stuff you need), a second time for Revives (minimum setup for the item duplication trick using ws m), and a third time for Masterballs.
-Trigger P Pkmn PP to obtain ws m.
-Go around using Master Balls to fill bootstrapping code box. (Will almost definitely need to trigger Missingno. a fourth time for Rare Candies to get the proper HP on Slowpoke.)
-Use ws m to duplicate any items you need.
-You're set up to duplicate items at will and perform the DV code.

That about right?
Yes, you can skip the Master Ball actually, Great Balls work fine. Yes, Great Balls are better than Ultra Balls (assuming no status condition). 50% HP for both Geodude and Slowpoke almost ensures capture.
If you want to be really really fast, you can also skip Misty, Erika and even Rock Tunnel, SS Anne and Pokemon Tower with the Mew Glitch lol. Assuming Nidoking doesn't troll you at the beginning, you're looking at a 2-3 hour setup completion from a new game.

If you want to be really really fast, you can also skip Misty, Erika and even Rock Tunnel, SS Anne and Pokemon Tower with the Mew Glitch lol. Assuming Nidoking doesn't troll you at the beginning, you're looking at a 2-3 hour setup completion from a new game.
What would that entail? I'm aware there's a way to remove a Snorlax via the Mew trick (haven't fully looked into it though), but I'm at a loss for all the other skips.

What would that entail? I'm aware there's a way to remove a Snorlax via the Mew trick (haven't fully looked into it though), but I'm at a loss for all the other skips.
Those skips are, well, if you just want to do the DV glitch as fast as possible. WS M allows you to do almost everything, get any item, catch any Pokemon, get x255 of any item, etc. Getting that early on will make things easier.
We can skip Misty and SS Anne because we don't need Cut for the glitch. Right? Yeah, I don't think so. By removing Snorlax (Lavender Side), we can go directly to Fuchsia, skipping Rock Tunnel.
If we do that however, we can't get Voltorb because we indeed need Cut to get to Power Plant, unless, unless, we go through Rock Tunnel. So yeah we can't really skip Rock Tunnel.
We can save time though by catching Geodudes as we go along.

EDIT:
1.) Get lvl 100 Nidoking
2.) Beat Brock, go to Vermillion as fast as possible, skipping Misty
3.) Load Snorlax (Lavender Side)
4.) Trainer-Fly Glitch, removing Snorlax
5.) Go to Fuchsia, get Surf, beat Koga
6.) Go back to Vermillion, beat Surge
7.) Do the setup.

Saves about an hour or two. But yeah, it's trivial, because you need to do those skips anyway later on.

Last edited:

You were right, it was at 284 instead of 184. Stupid me.

About the unofficial tournament you were talking about; do you live close to The Netherlands (Amsterdam)? Me and a few friends who also enjoyed RBY from back in the day are setting up a tournament. I'm also in England (London) and Germany (Berlin) often so we could even organise something there :)

About the unofficial tournament you were talking about; do you live close to The Netherlands (Amsterdam)? Me and a few friends who also enjoyed RBY from back in the day are setting up a tournament. I'm also in England (London) and Germany (Berlin) often so we could even organise something there :)
In the U.S., so nowhere close, unfortunately!

EDIT -- Minor update/word of caution for those using ws m or 8F to build competitive teams: Watch out that you don't accidentally trigger the item-stack duplication glitch by tossing or withdrawing an item above a stack of 255. I accidentally deleted my Psychic TM this way earlier, and saved without realizing my mistake (adding an item to the bag after this occurs will both end a counting glitch and delete the bottom item for several reasons covered in that Wiki link). This is easy enough avoided just by being careful (I wasn't even aware this was a thing) or by immediately using or tossing one out of a stack of 255. The problem only occurs with that number, so even 254 shouldn't give you problems. Just a heads up. On the plus side, if you want 500 Rare Candies, this is the way to go.

Now next time I want to teach something Psychic (thankfully I got it onto Exeggutor first), I'll have to use ws m to cycle through item addresses to obtain another one. Things kind of stop being a problem once you have a functional Game Shark in your bag only using items you can purchase from the Celadon Dept. Store, but it's still inconvenient.*

*As always, keep ws m pointed to the right box any time you're going to use it, and double-check. I really recommend using Box 12 for this--it's made it really easy for me so far, as a quick check at the PC verifies I have it pointed to the right spot, and it takes a lot of intentionality to switch to or from it. This is actually way easier than the party pointer 8F uses in Red/Blue, so Yellow actually seems like the best version for all this, even if you don't get the easy Missigno.-based item multiplication.

Also, jumping waaaaaaaaaay back just to set a quick record straight:

Wooooooooo

I got Yellow so the traditional Missingno. encounter techniques wouldn't work. Did the Mew Glitch once after encountering a Caterpie with 9 Special for a level 100 Ivysaur, gave it two calciums so its Special was in the range of 182-184, then did the Mew Glitch again after encountering a Ditto to get a stable Missingno. Now I've got a fucked up Hall of Fame and the 100+ Rare Candies!
I tested this and the Missingno. variants in Yellow with proper sprites (Kabutops fossil, Aerodactyl fossil, Ghost) don't actually corrupt the Hall of Fame. Only glitched sprites do that since, from what I've read, the issue is actually caused by an uncompressed sprite flowing over into some of the Hall of Fame data (at least that's my layman's understanding). Pretty sure P Pkmn PP and all the other glitched sprites will still do it, but haven't checked.

So, if for whatever reason you really care about being able to use the more tedious item-multiplication method and also want to keep your Hall of Fame, this is for you.

Last edited:
Got perfect Tauros the other day. Mission accomplished. The TMs I'm duplicating as needed, and tossing junk ones to make room in the PC and item pack for all the stacks of items you need for codes.

It's really safe as hell as long as you just leave it set to one out-of-the-way box unless you need to go catch something or move Pokemon around (and then you can just deposit ws m in the PC or whatever). As long as it's pointing to the item pack, I don't think it can do anything too catastrophic. And if you accidentally click it without the right setup, just don't save.

Got perfect Tauros the other day. Mission accomplished. The TMs I'm duplicating as needed, and tossing junk ones to make room in the PC and item pack for all the stacks of items you need for codes.

It's really safe as hell as long as you just leave it set to one out-of-the-way box unless you need to go catch something or move Pokemon around (and then you can just deposit ws m in the PC or whatever). As long as it's pointing to the item pack, I don't think it can do anything too catastrophic. And if you accidentally click it without the right setup, just don't save.
True, except for the fact that when you accidentally click it without the right setup, your game crashes and your save file may be wiped. Not saving won't really help there :')

True, except for the fact that when you accidentally click it without the right setup, your game crashes and your save file may be wiped. Not saving won't really help there :')
Pretty sure it's a lot harder to do that as long as it's pointing to your item pack (so you're on the right box).

If you're really nervous about it, just always keep a copy of Full Heal/Revivex201 near the top of the pack, so it hits a return function. Pretty sure that'll prevent it from doing anything so catastrophic you hit an area that would affect something the game checks for in corrupted files. Worst case scenario, you hit it accidentally and your game crashes safely, or you just injected some weird bits somewhere and you don't save so nothing happens.

If it's not pointed to the right box, you're really putting your faith in whatever random code your box, with all its complicated Pokemon elements, is executing. But that's why I recommend keeping your bootstrapping box far away from the other ones.

jelome1989

I just read the description of your "Flawless DV and Max Stat Exp" video. It says that the setup doesn't work on European and Japanese versions of the game. However, I myself got an European version and everything works just like it does in your video.

Speaking of, did we ever figure out why the twelve different values of X Accuracy are needed? Like, what is it changing each time?

Also, quick question I haven't tested myself yet--Is it possible to buy an item if you already have more than 99 of it? If so, just repurchasing 12 X Accuracies each time would be a lot easier than setting up the Item Pack for the multiplication code again.

It might either prevent you or create a second stack though.

jelome1989

I just read the description of your "Flawless DV and Max Stat Exp" video. It says that the setup doesn't work on European and Japanese versions of the game. However, I myself got an European version and everything works just like it does in your video.
Thanks, I'll edit that part.

EDIT: Found a way to delete WS M: http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php/Item_stack_duplication_glitch

Speaking of, did we ever figure out why the twelve different values of X Accuracy are needed? Like, what is it changing each time?

Also, quick question I haven't tested myself yet--Is it possible to buy an item if you already have more than 99 of it? If so, just repurchasing 12 X Accuracies each time would be a lot easier than setting up the Item Pack for the multiplication code again.

It might either prevent you or create a second stack though.
I got the codes here: https://www.math.miami.edu/~jam/azure/weird/maxstats.htm

12 Gameshark codes are needed to get max stat exp and DVs. The first 10 are for the stat exp and the last two for the DVs. That could mean each stat requires two codes to maximize stat exp.
We all know that each time you use WS M you are executing one line of Gameshark code. The item setup corresponds to one code, so we need to use WS M 12x with a different item setup each time. Fortunately, as you may notice, the codes do not differ much. The only difference is the byte X Accuracy is holding (changes by one every line) - so the only thing we need to do is to toss one X Accuracy.
You may also notice that the codes I used in my video are a bit different (the second byte is constant). At first, I used the exact same codes but they are really complicated to set up and execute, so I tried a different set of codes which, unexpectedly, worked.

EDIT: About the stacks, yeah I tried that, it didn't work. The game will just create a second stack with x99 items.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
So I've reached Fuschia City in my Yellow game, went into the gym and then suddenly realised (luckily before getting to Koga) that Koga has a ridiculous team in Yellow... My team is mid 30's atm, and I would get obliterated by the Venonat onslaught he unleashes on you. Luckily I have plenty to do before i come back, Silph Co and Cycling Road should be good for 5~8 levels on my whole team which should make him and Sabrina a bit more manageable. Team is pretty much default Yellow team but with Fearow over Pidgeot (Pikachu + Starters and Snorlax).

Bought red a couple of days ago and played for like 3 minutes and went back to oras, I used to love this game growing up....idk what's wrong
Well, it's simply a case of the game's engines and mechanics getting faster and more convenient each new game (DP's general slowness notwithstanding). It's very jarring to go from Gen 6 to Gen 1 because of this. Some people just are able to stand it more than others is all.

Well, it's simply a case of the game's engines and mechanics getting faster and more convenient each new game (DP's general slowness notwithstanding). It's very jarring to go from Gen 6 to Gen 1 because of this. Some people just are able to stand it more than others is all.
Surprisingly I can handle the Gen 1 slowness but the Gen 4/5 slowness (haven't played Gen 3 in years) is way too much for me. It might be because I'm used to it or at least expecting it. It might also be the fact that the whole games might run just a TINY bit faster while emulated so it doesn't matter. My only complaint about slowness comes with the slog with grinding in this game compared to others (and the EXP Share slowness with having to endure 6 extra messages for Pokemon gaining EXP but I didn't even get it yet because I knew it was bad)

Surprisingly I can handle the Gen 1 slowness but the Gen 4/5 slowness (haven't played Gen 3 in years) is way too much for me. It might be because I'm used to it or at least expecting it. It might also be the fact that the whole games might run just a TINY bit faster while emulated so it doesn't matter. My only complaint about slowness comes with the slog with grinding in this game compared to others (and the EXP Share slowness with having to endure 6 extra messages for Pokemon gaining EXP but I didn't even get it yet because I knew it was bad)
I'm a bit strange when I come to slowness. Gen 3, 5 and 6 are just fast enough for me; I can put up with Gen 1 and Platinum because nostalgia (and I just love Sinnoh's selection of 'mon in general)... which, by coincidence, just leaves the Johto games pidgeonholed as the only games I just can't stand to play (DP notwithstanding). Shame. Maybe it's a bit off-topic but imo it'd be cool if we got Gen 6 updates of every main game so far.

Going to echo all of this. I had a blast playing Yellow again. The other day out of curiosity I decided to pop in SoulSilver for a bit, which I never finished, and was terribly, terribly bored. Like, I just couldn't stand it. I think I'll go my whole life without completing it.

HG/SS are easily my least favorite core Pokemon games.

I had to stop playing Blue a couple of days after release because of the slow pace and frustrating mechanics (despite having finished the original a silly number of times as a kid) but I picked it back up again about a week later and really got into it once I built some momentum. The beginning of the game is very tedious but it really is fun once you get a couple of stronger pokes. The old battle mechanics are really fun to abuse, too.

Cool part about 8F is that it can net you an easy Living Kanto Dex on Sun/Moon possibly, although you may need to 8F everything to Lv70+ first. But does a similar glitch exist in G/S/C? Depending on if those get a release before S/M, that could also get you an easy 1-251 dex.

Cool part about 8F is that it can net you an easy Living Kanto Dex on Sun/Moon possibly, although you may need to 8F everything to Lv70+ first. But does a similar glitch exist in G/S/C? Depending on if those get a release before S/M, that could also get you an easy 1-251 dex.
Yes; there's a Coin Case glitch in at least the English versions of G/S (not sure about Crystal or other regions; it might be all non-Japanese ones) that allows for arbitrary code execution just like 8F/ws m. I'm not sure if it's as easy to set up code for though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)