Pokémon GO

I try to see some tips and found that in each tiers every raid boss has same HP amount.
https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/sites/default/files/2017-06/boss2.jpg

I see that this means actually, in Tier3 statistically Vaporeon is the easiest to solo because of the set HP taking out her major difficulty factor. Surprisingly Flareon is more difficult as the stats table say (insane Atk, better Def, and low HP offset by set HP), despite high availability of his counters (Vaporeon, Rhydon, Golem). This also definitely makes the 'mon with usually low bulk like Alakazam and Gengar actually more difficult than people think because of their usually low HP (their low defense doesn't help, but their insane attack does, failing to dodge their charge attack is almost definitely OHKO).

... maybe I should look to make army of Exegutor first until I can solo them and build the brigade myself.
Then again, I also look to sneak into Tar raids and prepare for legendary raids.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
I try to see some tips and found that in each tiers every raid boss has same HP amount.
https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/sites/default/files/2017-06/boss2.jpg

I see that this means actually, in Tier3 statistically Vaporeon is the easiest to solo because of the set HP taking out her major difficulty factor. Surprisingly Flareon is more difficult as the stats table say (insane Atk, better Def, and low HP offset by set HP), despite high availability of his counters (Vaporeon, Rhydon, Golem). This also definitely makes the 'mon with usually low bulk like Alakazam and Gengar actually more difficult than people think because of their usually low HP (their low defense doesn't help, but their insane attack does, failing to dodge their charge attack is almost definitely OHKO).

... maybe I should look to make army of Exegutor first until I can solo them and build the brigade myself.
Then again, I also look to sneak into Tar raids and prepare for legendary raids.
This is really interesting, I had no idea. Definitely means that Blissey is significantly easier as well? I'm not sure why they didn't release her then.

EDIT: Also means that legendaries might potentially be ball crushing regardless of what it is.

Last edited:
One thing I don't enjoy about raids is that you don't know how many people are in the raid until you used up your raid pass. I was in when park the other day, and saw a bunch of people on their phones nearby so I decided to raid.

Well- they weren't playing Pokémon Go! Or at least at the (same) raid. It was a Lapras, uhh people like me enjoy the challenge because we have high tier Pokémon, but we still need a few others. One person joined the raid after a rematch, and we got it to half (he had a houndoom, magneton, and other weaklings), but it just wasn't enough! Even just 2 other people would have been enough with my 6 Tyranitar team. I'm so over how not only are raids so reliant on people at the right place and right time being there but the fact you cannot feed berries or spin for items...

Without the ability to earn stardust very well, it's harder to power them up. Raids are only good if it is realistic.

It's so frustrating when a high level Pokémon discourages people so then no one wants to use their raid pass with you. They stick with level 1-3 raids in a close proximity...
Seriously frustrating. And I didn't get the 3K experience, any reward just for trying, and no opportunity to catch it. Basically, nothing but wasted revives and Potions.

It's annoying to have to keep the pass on level 1-3 Pokémon.

But to make my post relate to yours: wouldn't it be trolling if they made Ditto a raid Pokémon: same HP based on the level of difficulty, and you wouldn't know it was Ditto until you beat it! Badass!
I know right? People had been discussing this, they should have lobby preview or something and use the pass only when they're sure there are people instead of wasting it on doomed raids. I managed to sneak to some raids (some even welcomed me) and I managed to get few things. At least today I luckily met few people and got 39/44IV T'tar with Bite/Crunch before buying few stuffs in a mall. But my first failure against a Machamp still leaves some trauma.

Stardust is actually one problem I'm afraid of. Now they're more difficult to find (20 dusts for a berry, yeah right). I'll suffer from stardust crunch with some of my team and potential recruits from raids not being raised yet. At least T'tar gives 10 candies by default when caught (that's if he's caught, glad I made it in one shot earlier), but stardusts are going to be sought commodity. Bah, I need to raise these 2 dual-rock Golems, I need to find another way....

Heavy trolling, that'll be. That better be saved for April Fools.

breh

強いだね
You can't get a raid boss below 10/10/10 IV so you're lying on that Ttar :P
I think they meant 39/45 but typoed

I've had only two raids pop up today since 9 despite living within visible range of six gyms. Probably bad luck but I'm scared that the rate has dropped somehow lol

breh

強いだね
Ttar is a 3 stage mon so it gives 10 candies. I will legit use pinap berries on pidgeot when I have a couple because that allows me to evolve almost 2 free pidgey lol

You can't get a raid boss below 10/10/10 IV so you're lying on that Ttar :P
Yup, as said, typo. I meant 39/45 or 86.7%.
Do you mean with the Panap berries? You don't use the razz berries for increased catch rates?
As said, as 2nd evolution form, it gives 10 by default. I do no nonsense and immediately use golden berry, especially with such red circle.

Caught 3 Tars today. So tired....
One is just impressive and 2 are outstanding, both of which are cursed with worst moveset. Good thing I have 3 of each TM, but wonders if I have to try the reroll gamble....

Also, I can't stress this enough. Be careful with throwing the ball. The raid boss are REALLY aggressive. Good thing since the throw accuracy discredit bug around early times, I had practiced my throwing ability and timing and managed to throw a ball in the end of their attacking animation.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
In general I would just aim for better raid bosses. You get to pick them directly. If they are later rotated for future raid bosses, you should then use TMs to salvage your current raid bosses and then transfer the ones that will likely not get attention.

For example: With 24 raids done to date (and no fled bosses), my best raid boss has been a 91% suboptimal moveset Charizard. Thus, I've transferred everything sans that in hopes that -maybe- I will TM it in the future should I not find a better Zard.

most of my raid catches have been under 80% only a Charizard and Quilava and a female croconaw above 82%.... had Machamp, Magikarp and Muk, and a croconaw under, and a fairly meh Blastoise never catch, the Charizard is 93% though...

the gym system isn't working for me either.. just had 8 days of defender time come back... got 11 coins... and then had to retake gyms MULTIPLE times just to get something back inside, this is the problem.. gyms either go stagnent, or they become stupidly high turnover because people are lazy and don't want to hit the full ones.

breh

強いだね
Personally, the only thing that stops me from efficiently breaking down gyms is my battery crapping out. Literally dies at 40% (after about an hour, for reference); new battery is set to arrive soon and I can put this piece of garbage out of its misery.

Because a gym can only have one blissey (and only one blissey that can only get weaker!) it's not that bad, imo.

In practice, iv total really does not matter anymore given that CP is not relevant for gym placement. you want to make sure you have optimal IVs for mons with disproportionately bad stats (i.e. you want max attack blissey and max HP cloyster, and so on), but beyond that moves are probably more important. I tend to just keep the highest IV mon of the species unless I can actually use the mon itself in raids / gym battling. I have few machamps so the shitty <80% heavy slam one I caught today in a raid will sit in my party and be used against some tyranitar in the future, but I'm not going to do anything like waste tms or candy on it. 80% is probably my cutoff for that, though,but it's super arbitrary in reality.

Another raid recruits me a double Dark 'Tar with only 4 IV loss. Also used two TM to fix one into Bite/SEdge. Now I am thinking who to raise first, that will take a lot of candy and dusts, and I haven't prepared my Golem too....
If I got into legendary raids, I'll probably just let Mew sit in the box forever. Oh well, it's famous, but....

And whatever Pikachuu it'll be, I know somewhere my Pokemon Box administrator is crying.... I have to be more merciless in transferring more 'mon, my box space is dying.

With a few more hours before I head to the airport for a vacation in Thailand and Singapore, I'll be very interested to know the many pokemon that I might be able to get in around 2 weeks. Who knows, a regional exclusive could come around there along the tourist spots of those 2 places. Wish me luck. I might miss this discussion but I could end up creating a diary of that place

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
1.Also what is your IV cut off now that we can use TMs? 80%? Does it depend on the specific Pokémon?

2. Do you care more about IV % in total, or specific IVs for specific Pokémon?

3. Any Exceptions? I know I have some!
1) My cutoff for IVs is Max Attack. Defender IVs don't matter at all now given the casualization of the gym meta and the motivation system essentially nullifying any defender. For attackers, even a 1% increase in damage can matter in the long run (raid bosses), so I will aim for that. Typically I will aim for above 89% overall IV if I can however.

2) IV% total looks cooler so there's something pleasing about that, realistically it doesn't matter tho lol.

3) Dragon Breath Dragon Claw Dnite I caught at level 1 way back when, she's only 69% but max Attack. Has slayed many things with me and performs incredibly well regardless of her IVs so that's my exception. A Flareon and Blissey at 84% with Max Attack are also two of my champion exceptions to the IV rule. Every other attacker I have ranges from 89%-100%

I have yet to get a single TM, so annoying, but I went from 2 golden razz berries to 16 in just 2 raids today. I caught a 67% Gengar but discarded it. Haven't seen a single Tyranitar raid and I want something good.

What would you say are the raids worth doing?

1 Tyranitar = 4 x Weakness makes it realistic to catch, and it's the best offensively against the upcoming legendary raids.
2. Snorlax = Good for staying alive during a raid, such as against a Lapras where you need to keep yourself from fainting when it's your last Pokémon, while other raiders KO it. Useful in general.
3. Machamp = Realistic to solo and useful matchups agains Ty and Snorlax and Lapras (Tyranitar and Rhydon with Stone Edge suffer from Lapras' Water/Ice moves).
4. Gengar = ? They say it's the best matchup against Raid Machamp, but I would rather use a Hurricane Dragonite.
5. Alakazam = ? It's useful, but needs lots of Potions...
6. Vaporeon = Soloable, but you probably already have 1 good one by now. Not bad to add to your collection, but nothing special either.
Most of them can be useful. Gengar's high Atk makes a good suicide attacker against things like Mewtwo (since we can go back to fight when all 6 in team is wiped out anyway), and is mostly immune to Machamp, making surprisingly tanky attacker.
Lapras can be used for future raids. We got a lot of Dragon/Flying.
Vaporeon has good performance, decent Atk and survivability. As of now she's good against T'tar raids, and should be good against Entei and other future legendaries like Heatran.
Flareon and Jolteon are also great of each type. I don't know about Jolteon compared to Ampharos, though, I'm ready to evolve my Mokoko soon enough and have my first....

Anyway, new update released. They say bug fixes and performance, I hope this is true. It's annoying to get crashed in middle of gym....

breh

強いだね
1) My cutoff for IVs is Max Attack. Defender IVs don't matter at all now given the casualization of the gym meta and the motivation system essentially nullifying any defender. For attackers, even a 1% increase in damage can matter in the long run (raid bosses), so I will aim for that. Typically I will aim for above 89% overall IV if I can however.
quick move damage is quantized; if all you care about is attack, there may not be any difference in the damage a quick move does in practice even with difference in IVs. I think charge moves are a bit more continuous, though.

All of the 4 star raids are useful short of maybe snorlax which is kind of questionable (has no SE STAB and pulls a worse blissey... idk, it probably does something useful though). lapras will eventually be good (we will eventually get ~some~ dragon flying mon in raids) and obviously ymmv with every other mon depending on how many of them you have.

Tyranitar is surprisingly hard to catch. 10 balls, 1 missed due to lag not registering my curve and the ball being thrown straight, all gold razzed, all at least nice but mostly great, none caught. If I could do it again, I would be even more patient than I was - the ring is so giant you can literally just wait until it gets into excellent range and still hit the center with relative accuracy. 2051 (80%ish I think) and teleported off :/

on the bright side I hatched an igglybuff and saw a gym unown! seen dex at 237, only cleffa remains

the gym glitches are starting to get frustrating... just more and more of them... 10 seconds before some damage registered on a Rhydon because someone fed it a berry while I was fighting the gym (it was already damaged) pretty sure some dodgey code trying to calculate all the drops is just glitching up, also means I am wasting more revives and potions, 2nd battle pokes are hitting harder then the max cp ones due to glitches messing around with HP bars, and being hit by things I shouldn't be as the fainting that should have happened, didn't.

Attack matters only when attacking, but you also can't just go in there with Espeons, and Gengars, there is a cutoff, where you need to find the most effective damage to not fainting ratio :P so I am finding my 2200's quite handy in raids.. even Lanturn has a use against a steel move Blastoise.

new update still doesn't fix the ridiculous turnover either... I have to wait 10 minutes if I happen across a team gym, that is just taken.. yet in that time that same gym could be cleared TWICE over by opponents... should this not be the other way around? spent an hour battling a gym where i work for badge... and defended it for a total of 25 minutes... and a good 25% of that was 2-5 minute segments.

Doesn't the high Attack low HP/Def work as a strat during Raids only when you faint within 180 seconds? Also is it only the first 180 seconds?
I.e. You lose at 1 minute, and you realize you don't have enough Potions, you run to a pokestop 5 minutes away, which heals Mewtwo since you went past 3 minutes.

But then, you come back with enough Potions and revives for 2 rounds: round 1 you attack, faint, and do round 2 within 3 minutes of losing. Now, will Mewtwo be healed or sustain damage?
Update prediction:
I think it's for the shiny Pikachu released next week.
Nah, don't heal. That takes valuable time. After being wiped out, just go straight with whatever the automatic team suggestion gives and immediately jump to the raid. In fact, it could be viable tactic to favourite the main attackers with best matchup with the raid boss and choose the suicide attackers first in the lobby, before getting wiped out and immediately jump with main attackers preselected continuing the raid session.
Well, a raid session is 180 seconds battle (and up to 120 seconds in lobby).
In raid session, within the 180 seconds Raid Boss' HP will not recover. Starting over a raid session in different "raid room" starts over the Boss' HP.
While in raid session, you can't go out to get anything without completely leaving the raid session.
Basically, you (and your team of players in that raid session) beat that boss in 180 seconds. Fail, and you have to start over (although again, raid pass use is remembered, can try as many times as possible until raid global timer runs out and it despawns).

Last edited:
Hello there. Just out of curiosity, if you plan to play this game while travelling outside of your sim phone country, do any of you have any suggested app to download so that you can have data connection anywhere in the world without being dependent on your local sim card from your phone? I just found out the hard way on How ready you have to be.

But I have my story of this app being Built up. Day 1 is good with my phanpy as my walk buddy because it is royalty on where I'm at

team selection has been taking the mic today.. battling a gym, it puts random 1800 cp stuff in.. when I got various 2500-3000 cp stuff available.

Niantic doesn't seem to know anything, since gym update getting 80%+ items as balls only, and the only time "gym in battle" kicks in is when the gym is NOT in battle... oh and random "error" when trying to feed stuff in gyms.. I mean.. really? what is "error" I haven't fed this Pokemon, or anything in this gym yet.. so why "error".

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
The berry feeding limit is 10 unique Pokemon every 30 minutes, and then you get the error message. Keep that in mind before mass feeding lol.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
I'll see if I understand.

1) I do the same thing as you (favorite everything I consider valuable, as to not transfer it accidentally), so my attackers are not sorted in any way, and I don't even use a naming scheme for them. So in our case, no, it is not possible to favorite an Pokemon and prioritize it in order to pick it as an attacker.

2) I manually select Pokemon to attack, but there's no "suicide Pokemon" concept in my case. If you are high level, pick your high level dedicated counters (Machamp for boss Tyranitar, Vaporeon for boss Rhydon, etc.) and go through the boss with other people.

If you cannot go through the boss with your initial lineup of 6, here's what happens: whenever in the battle, the boss beats all 6 of your Pokemon, you are booted back to your lobby where you have a fresh new lineup of 6 being suggested by the game; you can either choose to go into the raid battle with this lineup, change those Pokemon for more fitting counters, or heal your fallen 6 and go back in. Bear in mind, the timer is counting down as all of this happens.

Your second go at the boss will begin with the HP the boss would currently have given the time you've spent in this lobby. For example, let's say there's 10 people taking a Tyranitar with you. If your initial six died, and it took you 5 seconds to pick your lineup and go back in the battle, the HP of the boss will be what those 10 people took out of it during your 5 second break. tl;dr You're basically battling the exact same thing except you took a break in attacking while the others pressed on.

3) This time displacement of gyms is currently a bug acknowledged by Niantic. I believe it's around a ~10 minute wait time before you can slot immediately afterwards; fortunately / unfortunately, there are ways around it: One such way involves multi accounting, switching alts, force-restarting the app, and slotting without waiting those minutes. In cases of you being with other people, you can all press the "add" button at the same time and slot your entire squad there.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Did my first level 4 tyranitar raid with a group of 5 others successfully so am feeling I've accomplished that, and caught on first attempt. Based on IV calculations, it has 14 HP, 14 attack & 11 defense with a CP of 2066 and knows Iron Tail & Crunch. Since I already have 2 stronger tyranitars that both know bite & Crunch, I'll use this trophy as gym fodder at least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)