Pokémon GO

So what should I invest in in order to get Solo Machamp raids? Currently my only real idea is to evolve a bunch of random Alakazam and Espeon, maybe make use of my Exeggutor while he's still stuck with Psychic as a Charge move. It's a bit hard to find assistance right now for actual raiding since everyone wants to use their passes for Ho-oh, so I need to try and figure out if I can get into Solo raids at this difficulty until Legendaries taper off.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So what should I invest in in order to get Solo Machamp raids? Currently my only real idea is to evolve a bunch of random Alakazam and Espeon, maybe make use of my Exeggutor while he's still stuck with Psychic as a Charge move. It's a bit hard to find assistance right now for actual raiding since everyone wants to use their passes for Ho-oh, so I need to try and figure out if I can get into Solo raids at this difficulty until Legendaries taper off.
I've had success soloing machamp with my maxed out gengars, dragonites, alakazam & exeggutor as I didn't have a good espeon nor any eevees good enough to evolve into espeon yet, wish I didn't evolve a few perfect ones that became a flareon :/

If you have a Ho-Oh with extrasensory & brave bird, or a mewtwo that should be great too for a machamp raid.

Edit: am now 6 for 8 with catching Ho-Oh but my best is still only 2184 out of a possible 2222 so I'm itching to do more legendary raids to try to catch a better one. My trick is to wait until Ho-Oh taunts and then throw my best curve ball along with golden razz berries which I now have over 200 of them. I still try to catch these legendaries since I could always use more candies and stardust that can help along the way.

Last edited:

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Just did another Ho-oh raid today at our local park, hope I get an invite soon
Me too! Just 10 minutes ago!3E9BB111-681A-489A-B466-BA26D538DDEC.jpeg
I couldn’t believe I caught it!5A9D9AFD-EF68-4F0E-8602-CD0A8CA741FE.jpeg

When I checked the IVs I was so happy!
9A6E7A6D-F8FC-4B37-BEC8-05C44FB60879.jpeg

Union Sq SF always has Ho-Oh!

EDIT: Ho-OhMyGod, just caught another 2.2K+ Ho-Oh with the second free raid Pass.B4D52F8D-6139-4CA4-9093-6E5C938E54B1.jpeg

Last edited:
Would you guys bother powering up a 100% Blastoise with WG/HP from level 20? Not sure what to do with it.
No. Just keep it as it is for now. Don't waste stardust on it. The problem with most Water-type Pokémon is that they never stood a chance against Vaporeon. I can't really see that changing in Gen III either.

No. Just keep it as is for now. Don't waste stardust on it. The problem with most Water-type Pokémon is that they never stood a chance against Vaporeon. I can't really see that changing in Gen III either.
U sure?

Wailord is base 175/87/340, you *might* see it defending gyms.

Kyogre is base 297/276/200 and 100% IVs would reach 4178 CP at level 30. Expect it to get nerfed like Mewtwo.

Swampert is base 223/190/215 and with ground/water typing looks to be somewhat useful, but would still be outclassed by Vaporeon. 100% level 30 would be 2413 CP. Maybe useful for Groudon raids, but Gyarados would probably do better unless they troll us with Primal Groudon's water resistance.

Milotic is base 207/257/205 with 2543 CP if 100% level 30. It may be a worthy gym defender.

Relicanth is base 177/249/215, 2192 CP if 100% level 30. Its rock/water typing might be useful for fire type raids.

Not worth mentioning are Pelipper, Ludicolo, Sharpedo, Whiscash, Crawdaunt, Huntail, Gorebyss, Castform, Luvdisc.

Huh? It's one of the few things that might factor into a Pokémon's worth, if it has a lot of HP, people will stick it in gyms.
In my personal opinion, HP is nothing. The only thing I think when beating Pokémon with a lot of HP is: "This Pokémon took slightly longer to swipe left and tap than the rest."

Yet HP contributes the majority to how good it is on every single site. This is nonsense imo. People these days (including me) just put shitmons in gyms. It'll be kicked out the next day anyway. So what's the point of putting in a 3K+ Blissey which you eventually have to spend a Revive + Hyper Potion on, if you can also put in a trashy Rattata that you can release afterwards?

Last edited:
Ahhhh I get it. In my opinion it’s just cool to put high CP/HP mon in gyms. It’s like a prestige thing to me. I dont mind spending those items on them.

But you’re right tho. We get the 50 coins anyway, whether we put in a Pidgey or Dragonite...

I feel you too. I also have a 95.6% maxed out Blissey I put in gyms sometimes. It's fun knowing others have to struggle extra hard. It might scare them off too.

What ya think Fluke?
Any of these worth powering up/using TMs on?

Besides the already level 30 ones. I also already have a 100% Machamp at 30.

I got a 2207, 93% someone else got the same CP. but 91%, was the stamina stat I think.

I put high CP stuff in gyms because Potions and Super Potions might as well not exist, but raids spit out lots of hyper potions.

Honestly, I just prefer to be the courteous type and ignore knocking out Gym mons who don't have a decent amount of defense time. There are also some Gyms on my College Campus that you're never going to have control of long enough to get coins no matter how strong your defenders or support/back up are. If I want coins I just have to go around to some very remote Gyms (like an out of the way lecture hall) long after classes end and drop Pokemon at them and hope one makes it to the next day, or just drop fodder that one go down in one shot on top of a bunch of Gyms throughout the day. Berries restore such a pitiful amount of CP that they don't really do any good at keeping a mon on a Gym if people are willing to just spam raid them and knock everything off in one session. There's no reason to care about your defender choice because the ability to sit on a Gym, keep throwing mons at the defenders, and heal them off for repeats favors the attacker to the point that there's no "if," only "when" for a single person sweeping up a full Gym. If I can use fodder to defend a Gym, why can't the attacker use 6 fodder to knock mine off? Their job is easier, and both cases end with the Gym battlers transferring the mon because it's not something they planned on healing it.

Honestly, I just really hate the way Gyms work right now since there's the limit on coins, it basically costs nothing of substance to knock a mon off, meanwhile you (in theory) expend valuable healing items when the Pokemon comes back even if it didn't earn you anything (whether for coin limit or it just went down too soon). Having the Pokemon bring back items on top of the coins would at least take a little of the sting off of them coming back too soon. I kind of wish they gave out Coins through something like Daily objectives instead of the Gym system, like 10 coins per day for doing your capture, spin, maybe for walking a certain distance in a day, battling something, using your raid pass, etc. Gyms could still offer MORE coins, but some way that isn't dependent on something as unreliably contested and poorly balanced for defenders as the Gym system.

but you can power that Blissey up to 40.

Don't get me started on the selfish players either, local Uni, the Library is a gym, yet no one can hold it for more then 15 minutes due to greedy blues constantly knocking people out.

if you could put legends in gyms though, surely Suicune with obscure Hidden powers might be a good one to invest in.

So, I just nabbed a perfect Ho-oh off a raid. What's a good use for this thing overall given its weird movepool?

I also feel like having gotten this, I should be eyeing other raids like T-tar or Machamp more closely now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)