SM UU Pigeon Post

✉Pigeon Post✉

For this team I wanted to build around Pidgeot Mega as it is one of my favorite Megas, but I have yet to build a good team around it this generation, so I've decided to finally dedicate my time to finally getting a successful team out of it. Here is what I am currently running on the team.

Team Analysis

Pidgeot (F) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- U-turn

As noted, Pidgeot is who I wanted to base this team around from the beginning. Standard set here utilizing Pidgeot's classic wallbreaking ability with Hurricane causing a dent into many opponents and giving other team members the opportunities to clean up or sweep afterwards. Pidgeot also provides part of the Ground-resistance/immunity aspect going on in this team that helps out Zeraora.

Heracross (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off

A wallbreaker/setup sweeper I don't often see these days is Heracross. This guy is still a very impressive Pokémon with the ability to smash stuff just from being status'd thanks to Guts. With Swords Dance added, it can smash through a lot more and makes a nice a complement to Pidgeot in being able to break apart defensive cores.

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

A pattern is definitely becoming apparent with more breaking power. Scizor is must more seen on the ladder and for good reason. I opted for more power with the Choice Band set and went with the bulkier build since I feel the other team mates can handle faster threats. Scizor helps eliminate the always problematic Mega Altaria since I have no other Steel type attacks and no Poison type attacks on the team.

Seismitoad (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Scald

As the team was pieced together so far, I needed something that could take on both Electric-types as well as Fire-types. I also needed Stealth Rocks to make the most of my breakers. I originally ran on Swampert in spot, but I opted for Seismitoad due to Water Absorb because I wanted another option besides Heracross to take Scalds if needed.

Hydreigon (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Now that I had my Stealth Rock setter, I needed something that could take hazards off my side. I also needed something that was faster as my team at this point wasn't likely going to consistently outspeed other offensive teams. I also wanted another check to Electric-types and Fire-types as well as something to take out Latias. Hydreigon seemed to fit all I wanted and more. I opted for no-U-turn on Hydreigon because of wanting as much coverage of possible. It also is another Ground immunity on the team.

Zeraora @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Plasma Fists

The final member of the team is Zeraora. Originally Nasty Plot Infernape filled this spot, but I felt I needed something stronger to deal with bulky Water-types. Bulk Up allows its ATK to get a good boost so I can sweep at the end of the game as long as checks and counters are taken out by all my other breakers and sweepers.

===

So I hope you enjoy this team. Let me know your thoughts and any suggestions for changes to be made, they are deeply appreciated.
Pidgeot (F) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Timid Nature
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Hurricane
- U-turn

Heracross (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Knock Off

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

Seismitoad (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Scald

Hydreigon (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

Zeraora @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Plasma Fists

Last edited:
Hi! Cool team man, I really like me some Mega Pidgeot. Lets get into the rate, shall we?

Major Changes

-->

Having Defog Hydreigon that's choice locked isn't quite ideal. The team was also quite annoyed by Scizor, due to Zeraora sucking as a Scizor check and Toad getting worn down quick. Rotom Heat also gives you a flying resist, which helps the Moltres/Pidge matchup, as well as having Volt Switch to form a nice VoltTurn core with Scizor.

-->

Sad to say Zeraora didn't really help as much with switching into Bulky Waters, as if it gets burnt by scald, its basically useless. The team also is victim to getting worn down really fast, and doesn't quite switch into any fighting types. Sylveon fit this spot quite nice, except for handling fat waters. Wish Support helps keep Toad and Rotom healthy to check Zor and Moltres, respectively. Sylveon also checks the Fighting Types, most notably makes Terrakion think before it clicks Close Combat.

Minor Changes

- Heatwave/U-turn --> WorkUp/Refresh

This set allows Pidgeot to annoy stall in general and function as somewhat as a wincon vs fatter teams. You don't really need Heatwave here anyways, as the Combination of Rotom-Heat, Superpower Scizor, Fire Blast Hydreigon and Seismatoad is enough to handle steel types.

- Defog --> U-turn

With Rotom being the defogger on the team, Hydreigon is once again free to run U-turn. This allows Hydreigon to bait in it's checks like Empoleon and get in things to threaten said checks, such as Seismatoad or Scizor. It also generates momentum in general and is free chip, but that's only a minor note.

Importable

Anyways, click the sprites above for the importable, and I hope you enjoy the team :]

Hey again Nicklypuff nice team you have here. I like the approach you took with building around Mega Pidgeot, however I do see some things that should be addressed. Hydreigon is a pretty big threat that can very easily just press Draco Meteor and you have to sack something or risk going into Scizor. Fighting types like Cobalion and Terrakion also just press CC and something drops as you don't have an actual resist (Heracross doesn't count). With this in mind there are a few suggestions I have for you to help with these factors.

Major Changes:

>
: This change is to help with your match-up against fighting types like Cobalion and Infernape, while giving you a form of hazard removal. It also gives you another answer to Scizor + Primarina. I gave it enough speed for Adamant Mamoswine and the rest was invested in Def to better handle some of these latter threats. Final slot is up to you, Toxic Spikes can be really nice for handling bulkier threats for Mega Pidgeot to put in more work or use Sludge Wave to help punish Mega Altaria and Primarina more.

>
: Togekiss gives you an answer to Hydreigon something you previously lacked and another fighting resist which takes some pressure off Tentacruel. I decided to give this the Fightinium-Z because Mega-Pidgeot and Scizor greatly appreciate it luring in Pokemon like Mega Aggron, Empoleon, Rhyperior. It can still ease the stall match-up a bit, obviously not as much as using the usual Heal Bell variant.

>
: I suggest replacing one of the ground trios for another. Rhyperior gives the team more counterplay against the flying types in the tier which could overwhelm Tentacruel. Ice Punch is pretty standard coverage for helping it beat Gligar, a common hazard remover right now.

Minor Changes:

(Move Change): Just like Sickist make this U-turn over Defog for obvious reasons.

(Optional Change): This is optional, but I also agree with Sickist using the Work-Up Refresh has some merit here. It eases the stall match-up a lot and at +1 not a lot of things can appreciate eating a Hurricane. If you do so change the ability to Tangled Feet as Big Pecks isn't allowed with Refresh variants. The standard pivot set still works fine here with handling Doublade and Scizor + pivoting better, so feel free to test around with it.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
I hope you like the suggestions and again a really nice team you posted. As far as threats go you still need to be careful around Terrakion, but you have quite a few means to punish it. Scizor is another Pokemon that should be carefully played around, so make sure not to let Tentacruel get too chipped or keep Hydreigon out of BP range. Keep it up dude, I look forward to more teams you come up with and if you have any questions just let me know ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)