Pick a Peck of Pictures- Fuzzberry's Art

Yeah, yeah, I know I'm kinda new here. But I think I've found a place in Smeargle's Studio.

I sort of let this die, but hopefully my huge update constitutes the bump I'm giving it.

Pokemon Art

Empoleon colored in black and gold to represent my home hockey team, the Pittsburgh Penguins. Yes, it's holding a hockey stick. Done in chalk pastels, so pardon the lack of shading.

Groudon. Simple as that. Also done in chalk pastels, accounting for the lack of shading.

-NEW- I'm aware it's huge. ._. Either ways, proof I can shade. XD Albeit, a little sloppy. It was my first attempt with new markers. Yeah, blue Aggron. Drawing Pokemon in different colors is actually really amusing.

-NEW- Part of my project to draw my Wifi team. Meet Satan in the form of a cute little birdie, Lithium the Togekiss. Took a slightly more demonic approach to the original Pokemon design, sharpening points, darkening colors, and making it look overall a little more evil. Shading on this one is a little more meh than the first one. Didn't know what the gray would look like. Red bubbles added just for effect. =D

-NEW- Another kind-of unnecessarily huge drawing. ._. Scizo, short for Schizophrenia, the Gengar from my WiFi team.

Not really a Pokemon, but a character designed to look like a Deoxys. Drawn really quick while I was in Florida on a band trip in April (holy prepositional phrases!).

Non-Pokemon Art

Futuristic half-fox hoverboarder, complete with wrench and homemade hoverboard. Drawn in colored pencils as a comission for a friend.

Just a creature from in my imagination. Sort of based off of Mighteyena.

I know, I know, it's a recolored Digimon. Attempt at a haze in the background came out more meh than good. Cropped from the original, done in chalk pastels.

-NEW- Project "Musical Mob"

General information on the project:
One of the best things I ever got out of boredom was this project, and the ridiculous amount of laughs I get with it. Basically, I draw people I know as Pokemon. 99.9% of these people are my fellow Marching Band geeks, hence the name "Musical Mob." So, without further ado...

NOTE: All pictures uploaded thusfar are of people from the percussion theater I was a part of last winter. The zombie clothing? Yeah, those were our costumes. These drawings attempt to maximize the "spooky" factor...

Oh yeah. ^_^ This one, is actually my Pokemon representation of myself. A bit about the costume that was all derived from my actual costume: Excessive eyeliner, ripped up black clothing, with one of the shirt's sleeves torn off to make a "gauntlet" tied by the shirt's elastic. The black marks on the not-covered arm were painted on with the same eyeliner as used on the face. She's carrying, for the information of non-band geeks, bass drum mallots, the smallest type. The bracelets on the ankle are there because I personally wear them, and the glasses are...well, glasses. The head feathers are tied up in the manner I wear my hair.

Honestly, we don't know this little kid's real name. All we know is we call him Red, he's short, and he's a disaster. He didn't actively take part in our percussion theter, instead sitting off of the floor, in our pit section, playing his snare. The reason? It's shown in the picture...He dislocated his wrist, broke his finger, and bruised his spine, all within three weeks of each other. The hair on the Quilava's back is red, becasue that's his actual hair color, and it's spiked because...well....let's get real, that's a LOT of hair gel.

My only comment here? I don't like this guy. Not one bit. He was the captain of our bass line, and therefore my superior. As an actual band member, he was the egotistical trumpet soloist. I chose Luxray for him for a very simple reason: there is no other real animal as royal, overbearing, and full of itself as a lion. Not to mention a facial resemblence. As much as I hate the man, I had a really nice time drawing this...

The key in his paw is going to remain unexplained. If anyone here is a shrink, take a shot at its meaning. =D Be my guest.

Sprites

I have a lot of sprites becasue they don't require a scanner.

People sprites with bases from the DP people sprites.
From left to right~
Top: myself, my boyfriend, my brother, and three friends
Bottom: random female character, two of the same character in different coats, Darkrai girl, Deoxysman from the picture above, and a silver Celebi girl

A few good blends.
Left to right~
Lugia + Milotic, Ninetales + Absol, Ninetales + Mightyena "Mightytales", Jirachi + Skarmory "Skarachi", The Mightyena thing from earlier, I have no idea, and a commission from a few years ago

-NEW- Sceptile + Deoxys "Deotile", and Ampharos + Umbreon "Amphreon"

They all look great. The only complaint I have is that you shade more, in which you pointed out you didn't do in some of them.

Personally, I think Empoleon would be much better if you used dark blue instead of black, but if you're using to represent a hockey team, there's nothing wrong with that.

Overall, they're fantastic.

Nice art. As for the sprites don't save them as JPG (it makes them blurry) [save them as BMP or PNG].

Yeah, the media I was using for a while prevented effective shading.

Lately, I bought artist markers, and there's a world of difference in the shading. Once my scanner is fixed, I'll get around to uploading those.

As for the saving as JPGs...that's a good idea. The quality does really suck the way it is right now. Thanks.

Oh yes, and Soldius...that was the only reason I drew that picture. Just because of my incredible fangirl-ism for my home team. XD Even if the colors don't quite work.

Sure, Lorak. *braces self* But if it's about the lack of shading in what I've posted, I'm well aware that's a problem. Colored pencils and chalk pastels don't give much shading ability. ._.

And to anyone who cares: I'm going to be uploading some more recent drawings later today. =D

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Alright, I lost the first version I was writing of this by accidentally closing the page instead of writing a capital W. :|

Common theme running here: subject looking at the camera, one foot pointed towards it, the other slightly away. Fine pose it is, but one that's frequently overused. It makes the subject look slightly uncomfortable to be there, in my opinion.

Empoleon... well, it looks more like a person dressed up as an Empoleon, versus the actual Pokemon. Note that the legs are longer, with thighs and tummy less bulged than the design of the Pokemon itself.

The ice in the scenery doesn't seem to flow naturally into the water it's supposed to be in, as if someone decided the ice needed a curb. Likewise, the view caused by this curb makes the ground look like it isn't in the same plane as Empoleon, like one or the other is leaning in a direction, rather than being oriented with the same perspective.

Groudon... not that bad, really. The only criticism I have is again the face-on view, which doesn't let you really show off the features of the head, since without shading, all you have to rely upon is texture to convince your viewers what they are looking at isn't a cardboard cutout. The illusion of 3D is important.

Mr. Deoxys is either holding or leaning onto that bar; it's hard to tell with the fingers as they are. The arms... are uncomfortably rigid, and lacking in form. Look in a mirror when you can, holding your arm straight down. You'll see that even then, there's muscle definition; lines and boundaries formed by bone, flesh and muscle, especially in joints, such as the elbow. Compare them to the drawing, and you'll hopefully see how the arm should be made of two parts, rather than one rounded rectangle. The persepective of the feet and of the rest of the body don't match up, making it look like he's leaning forward on both feet rather than flat on the floor.

The hoverboarder's got it far worse. His board is obviously broken in two behind his back, or else, if it's in one piece, all he'd be doing is going in rather sharp circles. Look at the lines of form below to see what I mean.

Also, it must be horribly uncomfortable to be standing on tiptoes as well as keeping his arms rigidly stiff. His left hand doesn't appear to support the board's weight at all, making me think it's either made of cardboard or it's just lodged between his arm and chest and something's glued to one or the other.

Can't comment too much on the cyan Mightyena, since I'm admittedly rubbish at drawing quadrupeds. However, what I can say is that there're at least three different perspectives I counted when looking at different limbs and the body, making the connection between legs and torso look awkward.

On the Digimon, not bad at all, really, aside from the comment you've gotten about shading already. The pose is different and interesting, though all the light negative space between the legs draws attention away from the body and head.

That's about all I can offer at the moment. I give these words to you not as an assault, but as a foundation for things you can change and improve, if you make a conscious effort to.

Hahahahaha I just imagined your Empoleon staring down very manly NHL players and them being utterly confused. Very nice drawings.

Ahh, I was afriad of that, Lorak.

Yeah, I'm aware that my perspective and depth is bad. But that's the thing, I suck at poses. Simple as that. I've been in an attempt for a while to figure different poses out, but none of it comes as naturally. My drawings are all usually similar. ^_^; Though, if it's that much of a problem, I can work harder at that.

What you noticed about the Mighteyena-based thing, about the legs, that's done on purpose. It's only Mighteyena-based. The legs are a lot more spider-y. They don't connect the same way; the shoulders are a bit off and at a different angle. If I were to upload a different view of it, you would see that.

The Empoleon....That's just my take on the thing. Whenever I draw Pokemon, there's always really slight differences that make it look really off of the original design. That particular time, I tried to make the Empoleon slightly taller and thinner on purpose, again as part of the hockey theme of the drawing. You're right, though, the background does suck. Another area I really need to improve.

@_@ And that's why the hoverboarder appears to be on his tiptoes. I can't render a background for the life of me. The board, I drew crooked, and I didn't notice until the picture was inked and colored.

Thanks for the critiscism, though. It helps a fair amount, though I'm not sure how I can implement some of it without drastically changing my style. Half cartoon-half not is a little difficult to properly draw. I'll make sure to get better at posing, though.

Thanks to everyone who's stopped by. ^_^ It just sunk in that Soldius used the word "fantastic". I'm grateful for all of the coments and in Lorak's case, suggestions. Once I dig out my sketchbook, I'll upload some proof that I do indded know how to shade. XD

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
Ahh, I was afriad of that, Lorak.
Sorry. D:
Yeah, I'm aware that my perspective and depth is bad. But that's the thing, I suck at poses. Simple as that. I've been in an attempt for a while to figure different poses out, but none of it comes as naturally. My drawings are all usually similar. ^_^; Though, if it's that much of a problem, I can work harder at that.
Well, admitting a problem's the first step or something. Work harder for your sake, if you want to improve the quality of her art.
What you noticed about the Mighteyena-based thing, about the legs, that's done on purpose. It's only Mighteyena-based. The legs are a lot more spider-y. They don't connect the same way; the shoulders are a bit off and at a different angle. If I were to upload a different view of it, you would see that.
Well... I suppose that explains that.
The Empoleon....That's just my take on the thing. Whenever I draw Pokemon, there's always really slight differences that make it look really off of the original design. That particular time, I tried to make the Empoleon slightly taller and thinner on purpose, again as part of the hockey theme of the drawing. You're right, though, the background does suck. Another area I really need to improve.
Eh, just be sure background stays background, as long as you want your main piece of art to be the focus. A better background draws less attention to itself, most of the time, if you've got a great piece. Or, do what I do, just draw the subject and have a transparent background! :P
@_@ And that's why the hoverboarder appears to be on his tiptoes. I can't render a background for the life of me. The board, I drew crooked, and I didn't notice until the picture was inked and colored.
Ah... eee. Well, now you know the meaning of the saying "measure twice, cut once".
Thanks for the critiscism, though. It helps a fair amount, though I'm not sure how I can implement some of it without drastically changing my style. Half cartoon-half not is a little difficult to properly draw. I'll make sure to get better at posing, though.
Quite welcome, glad to be of help. If nothing else, as last bits of advice, let me say references are your friends, and practice, practice, practice.

Thanks, Xia.

Update not coming as planned. =/ Thought my scanner was fixed, but obviously not.

Still working tirelessly to get the picture up.

At long last, my scanner is back! I'm uploading some more recent drawings of mine as I type. =D

EDIT: I uploaded maybe five, but only two of them are really worth putting up. ._.

New addtitions are the blue Aggron and the Satanic Togekiss.

ANOTHER EDIT: Two sprites, Deotile and Amphreon.

I really let this die. T_T

I'm going to attempt a revival of this thread soon...much thanks to anyone and everyone who's commented here. I read over CK's post (which I seem to have missed before...sorry T_T) and laughed. Goooo confusing hockey players.

Thanks again for the support...time to get my ass into gear. Again. Maybe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)