OU Pokemon Previews - Index, Rules, and Reservations

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is anyone doing Druddigon? I'd like to give it a shot. Lately I've found that with Mega Kangaskahn and Talonflame running around, bulky rough skin/rocky helmet phaser druddigon makes for a surprisingly good switch-in against these physical attackers. It's currently the bulkiest and most defensively sound user of rough skin and it also has Glare, which gives it a niche over bulky RS Garchomp as it can cripple many offensive threats on the switch. Mega Kangaskahn using Fake Out takes an extraordinary amount of damage from this, as does Talonflame using Brave Bird. Druddigon can also paralyze Talonflame and then out prioritise it with Sucker Punch. I've had decent success using it to harass Tyranitar and Gyarados too, as it can phase them out with Dragon Tail or paralyze them to make their speed boosts worthless, while being able to deal sufficient chunks of damage if they stay in on it.
Garchomp is bulkier that Druddigon, has STAB Earthquake, better SpA to deal with Steel-types (Flamethrower or Fire Blast), way better Speed, which allows it to actually outspeed Mega Kangakaskhan if it wants, and resists Rock moves, making it a much better switch-in to Tyranitar. That said, Glare + Sucker Punch is something that Garchomp doesn't have, so the question is if those two things are enough to get Druddigon a preview. Make a WIP for now, and the QC team will test Druddigon and come back with their verdict.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm passing on Dragonite. The time constraints really are what is killing me. That, and I haven't played much non-Pokebank OU lately.

I think I've said all that I can currently say in my Druddigon wip. I'll keep using him to see if I can spot any other common counters or checks that need mentioning.

Epikhairz

Anything goes
i can do them (after all it's only writeups at this point which take me 30min each) but only if no one else wants to

Epikhairz

Anything goes
Rotom-H is ready for QC checks
Togekiss is ready for its final QC check

I will be on vacation over the weekend so don't expect Furfrou writeup to be up until at least Monday night - unless someone else wants to take it

I see that the only mons left that do not yet have been reserved are the two middle Gourgeist forms. I am wondering if these even deserve a analysis because they seem to be outclassed by small and super.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I see that the only mons left that do not yet have been reserved are the two middle Gourgeist forms. I am wondering if these even deserve a analysis because they seem to be outclassed by small and super.
Every newly released Pokemon - regardless of how viable they are - will be getting an OU preview. For this reason, other Pokemon such as Dedenne which would not be viable in the OU environment are getting a preview. I hope that clears things up.

lab report ᐛ
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Izzymon
Donphan has not been banned. Initially it was probably deemed mostly unviable in this current metagame. In a metagame where Excadrill is free, a large question mark is placed above Donphan's head. This along with the fact that Defog also exists as an option to get rid of hazards and the lack of good reasons to use Donphan on a team outside of the SR + Rapid Spin. It has a poor defensive typing, subpar specially defensive bulk and is very limited in the role it can play. If you opt for offensive investment then it gets worn down extremely quickly. However, if you go for defensive investment then its EQ/Ice Shard do barely any damage. Moreover, Donphan also lacks ways to get past the common spinblockers in the metagame such as Gengar, Jellicent and Gourgeist without relying on gimmicky options such as a Choice Band.

Despite these shortcomings, Alexwolf permitted it to gain an analysis a few pages back when he was brought up previously:
alexwolf said:
Donphan is ok for a preview. It's mostly outclassed yeah, but it has some pros over Excadrill, such as great physical bulk, Ice Shard, and Sturdy. It can check Pokemon such as Mega Charizard X and Talonflame that Excadrill can't, so it has a reason to be used on teams that want help against those Pokemon.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I was not aware that I had been approved to do Noivern. Sorry it hasn't been done yet, I'll get it up soon though.

Izzymon
Donphan has not been banned. Initially it was probably deemed mostly unviable in this current metagame. In a metagame where Excadrill is free, a large question mark is placed above Donphan's head. This along with the fact that Defog also exists as an option to get rid of hazards and the lack of good reasons to use Donphan on a team outside of the SR + Rapid Spin. It has a poor defensive typing, subpar specially defensive bulk and is very limited in the role it can play. If you opt for offensive investment then it gets worn down extremely quickly. However, if you go for defensive investment then its EQ/Ice Shard do barely any damage. Moreover, Donphan also lacks ways to get past the common spinblockers in the metagame such as Gengar, Jellicent and Gourgeist without relying on gimmicky options such as a Choice Band.

Despite these shortcomings, Alexwolf permitted it to gain an analysis a few pages back when he was brought up previously:

I guess i shall wait till there are lower tiers to breed one and use it, i had hoped with the addition of rough play that it be a bit more use able in OU

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)